Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Didn’t really clock that this thread existed on CL. Here’s a poor quality picture of my Cannondale SystemSix.

I’m doing the Hell of the Ashdown cycle in February. Anyone else done it, or doing it? 

One of my coached riders is. I love the way it's marketed as 'tough' - that's a normal Sunday club run up here 🤣

Got some decent climbs in it though - Kidds is an absolute fucker!
    Yeah, 1800 metres odd climbing in 100km does not really feel it warrants ‘tough’. Think the weather might be more of an issue.

Ive not done Kidds so not really looking forward to it. The route was initially going up Hubbards, which I accidentally went up without knowing one recent ride, and for some reason it nearly murdered me, so I’m glad not to revisit that. Though finishing up Brasted will be a little nasty. Probably going to do some of the route this weekend anyway. 

Don't forget to join the Strava club if you're not already a member: 

https://www.strava.com/clubs/charltonlife
    Joined. So now I can be even more jealous of how much better people are at cycling than me.
  • Options
    For the year of the tiger!

• Options

I’m doing the Hell of the Ashdown cycle in February. Anyone else done it, or doing it? 

One of my coached riders is. I love the way it's marketed as 'tough' - that's a normal Sunday club run up here 🤣

Yeah, 1800 metres odd climbing in 100km does not really feel it warrants ‘tough’. Think the weather might be more of an issue.

Ive not done Kidds so not really looking forward to it. The route was initially going up Hubbards, which I accidentally went up without knowing one recent ride, and for some reason it nearly murdered me, so I’m glad not to revisit that. Though finishing up Brasted will be a little nasty. Probably going to do some of the route this weekend anyway. 

I'm a member of Catford CC, who used to run the HOTA, but who have passed it on to Westerham CC from this year, as running an event with 1500 riders takes a lot of work.

In June last year, a small group of us rode the old route.  Personally, I wouldn't like to ride it in February, but I am coming up to the big 7 Oh this year, and I ride for enjoyment rather than needing a challenge.  And very enjoyable it was, particularly the Ashdown Forest, where I'd never ridden before.  Kidd's reputation went before it (it's AKA "The Wall"), but it was fine, just a steady slog. We then stopped for a pub lunch in Groombridge, after about 40 miles.

I hate Hubbards, so I'd decided beforehand not to do it, and jump in the van instead.  Good call, as it's not just the sight of it in front of you, but. according to the others, the awful road surface that made it so unpleasant. Having looked at the new route, I think I'll generally follow that and climb Bailey's when I'm riding near Tonbridge in future.

I still rode 63 miles, so not my longest ride last year for distance, but the 6,150 feet of climb was my biggest ascent.

I hope you have an enjoyable ride; I think you will. Let's hope they don't have to delay the start times to give time for the ice on the road to melt (it has been known).
  • Options
    danny777 said:

I'm a member of Catford CC, who used to run the HOTA, but who have passed it on to Westerham CC from this year, as running an event with 1500 riders takes a lot of work.

In June last year, a small group of us rode the old route.  Personally, I wouldn't like to ride it in February, but I am coming up to the big 7 Oh this year, and I ride for enjoyment rather than needing a challenge.  And very enjoyable it was, particularly the Ashdown Forest, where I'd never ridden before.  Kidd's reputation went before it (it's AKA "The Wall"), but it was fine, just a steady slog. We then stopped for a pub lunch in Groombridge, after about 40 miles.

I hate Hubbards, so I'd decided beforehand not to do it, and jump in the van instead.  Good call, as it's not just the sight of it in front of you, but. according to the others, the awful road surface that made it so unpleasant. Having looked at the new route, I think I'll generally follow that and climb Bailey's when I'm riding near Tonbridge in future.

I still rode 63 miles, so not my longest ride last year for distance, but the 6,150 feet of climb was my biggest ascent.

I hope you have an enjoyable ride; I think you will. Let's hope they don't have to delay the start times to give time for the ice on the road to melt (it has been known).
    One of my mates used to ride for Catford a few years back. Small world. 
  • Options
    Anyone else doing the new version of Ride London? The route now heads into Essex rather than Surrey.

Amazingly I got a ballot entry. Have previously been turned down 4 times for the old Ride London and only done it with a charity place.
  • Options
    I was unsuccessful in the ballot so have opted for Le Tour de Sandwich instead
  • Options
    Anyone else doing the new version of Ride London? The route now heads into Essex rather than Surrey.

Amazingly I got a ballot entry. Have previously been turned down 4 times for the old Ride London and only done it with a charity place.
    Couple of my coached riders are doing it. I did the old one a couple of times, not fussed with it any more. A lot of money for a glorified sportive - though the attraction of closed roads makes it more of a draw, I guess.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I’m in it. Will be riding it for CACT so expect a request for sponsorship once I’ve set up a giving account.
  • Options
    I will be riding in support of these guys:

I will also be setting up a just giving and begging for sponsorship!

• Options
    I need some advice from you guys who have a better knowledge of these things. 

Bought a bike back in August (Orro gold evo 105 hydro) and after a few months riding it developed a knocking sound. Orro told me to take it back to where I bought it but as this was in Wokingham the cost of driving there was more than taking to a more local shop and having them look over it. They couldn’t find the issue so sent it back to Orro and they found a frame defect so had to replace the frame. 

Firstly my frame was blue but this year’s is white so I’ve had to have that which has taken nearly three months for them to do. 

Picked the bike up yesterday and was told that both them and Orro had spotted that the rear socket was 32 teeth and should be no more than 30, I’ve certainly not changed it but Orro are denying it’s their mistake and said it’s either me or the original bike shop. 

Is it possible that the original shop did this and is it really the case that it should have no more the 30 teeth?

I’ve had to pay the local shop to send it to Orro and look over it already through no fault of my own and would rather not pay another £80 to get the sprocket changed. 

Cheers for any help folks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think the bike comes as standard with 11-30. But as long as the gears are aligned I don’t see the issue with using 11-32. Just gives you more range no? 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Think the bike comes as standard with 11-30. But as long as the gears are aligned I don’t see the issue with using 11-32. Just gives you more range no? 
    No. The rear mech cage has a maximum length - 11x30 is standard on newer cages (older was 11x28) - but you'll need a medium derailleur cage to cope with the chain wrap on a 32. Could cause absolutely catastrophic damage if you end up cross chaining, as you could break the mech, your hanger and the wheel. That said, it's not likely to have been the cause of the knocking (that will almost certainly have been the bottom bracket shell - they're made for press fit bottom brackets, which are notorious for creaking due to frames not being structurally accurate) and if it had caused a problem, you'd have known about it. If you haven't changed it, and the frame didn't come with the cassette fitted (usually the case), then it's the original bike shop. But, like I said, it won't be the cause of the noise. 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    No. The rear mech cage has a maximum length - 11x30 is standard on newer cages (older was 11x28) - but you'll need a medium derailleur cage to cope with the chain wrap on a 32. Could cause absolutely catastrophic damage if you end up cross chaining, as you could break the mech, your hanger and the wheel. That said, it's not likely to have been the cause of the knocking (that will almost certainly have been the bottom bracket shell - they're made for press fit bottom brackets, which are notorious for creaking due to frames not being structurally accurate) and if it had caused a problem, you'd have known about it. If you haven't changed it, and the frame didn't come with the cassette fitted (usually the case), then it's the original bike shop. But, like I said, it won't be the cause of the noise. 
    Ahhhh I see - makes sense!
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I’m in it. Will be riding it for CACT so expect a request for sponsorship once I’ve set up a giving account.
    The Ride London Essex 100.

So I’m in and raising funds for the Charlton Athletic Community Trust. They do fantastic work in the community that is a great credit to the club and it’s fans. Please give whatever you can afford no matter how little as every penny will be put to good use.

• Options
    EastStand said:
    Cheers mate, I didn’t think it was the knocking as Orro said it was the frame and changed it, I’m quite pissed off that I’ve had to settle for white though. 

Would the wheel not most likely to have had the cassette fitted when sent to the original shop or like you say they would’ve fitted it themselves? 

I’m just fed up with having to pay out on things that aren’t my fault, even if the original shop admit it’s their mistake (unlikely) then I’m looking at having to either pay £80 to get the local shop to sort or pay out on fuel and take a trip to Wokingham to get it sorted. Three months without a bike and counting. 
  • Options
    I've got a spare 105 11-30 cassette which you can have for £35 quid if you want it. They are between £50-£60 if you can find them.in stock anywhere. This is completely unused, just doesn't have any packaging.

Easy to swap it out yourself if you have a chain whip. You will get your money back selling the 11-32 on, saves the hassle of dealing with shops and Orro.
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    EastStand said:
    Cheers mate, I didn’t think it was the knocking as Orro said it was the frame and changed it, I’m quite pissed off that I’ve had to settle for white though. 

Would the wheel not most likely to have had the cassette fitted when sent to the original shop or like you say they would’ve fitted it themselves? 

I’m just fed up with having to pay out on things that aren’t my fault, even if the original shop admit it’s their mistake (unlikely) then I’m looking at having to either pay £80 to get the local shop to sort or pay out on fuel and take a trip to Wokingham to get it sorted. Three months without a bike and counting. 
    Cassette cost you about 40 quid, and trivial to fit (though you'll need a chain whip and a lock ring tool). Do you know another cyclist? Worth taking it to then if they're habdy enough to have the tools and fit it for you.

No - wheel won't have shipped with cassette fitted. That's part of the build process 
  • Options
    Also in for the Ride London Essex. Hoping for ~4 hours on what looks a good flat route! What do others make of it? 
  • Options
    CAFC Luke said:
    Also in for the Ride London Essex. Hoping for ~4 hours on what looks a good flat route! What do others make of it? 
    Dread.
  • Options
    CAFC Luke said:

I was slightly surprised at how flat it is. I don't think there is a single categorised climb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I rode part of the new route on the Sport Relief 50 a few years back and it's lumpy for the first 50, but nothing that would scare the more experienced, and nothing as daunting as the Surrey Hills. 

The only thing I would say, is the road surfaces in Essex are a lot sticker then the ones in Surrey, and the wind is more of an issue, especially past Epping. But I can't see massive bottlenecks anywhere on this route. Can see why they took the more accessible to the masses option of Essex, over the challenge of Kent. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I rode part of the new route on the Sport Relief 50 a few years back and it's lumpy for the first 50, but nothing that would scare the more experienced, and nothing as daunting as the Surrey Hills. 

The only thing I would say, is the road surfaces in Essex are a lot sticker then the ones in Surrey, and the wind is more of an issue, especially past Epping. But I can't see massive bottlenecks anywhere on this route. Can see why they took the more accessible to the masses option of Essex, over the challenge of Kent. 
    LOL. Imagine people trying to get up Yorks or Chalkpit if they couldn't get up Leith? 😂

No hills in Essex - get out in the first couple of waves and you could get round in about 3'50 if the group works together
  • Options
    Leith and Box drove me nuts on Ride London. People bloody walking everywhere and spread across the entire road blocking the route for those of us trying to actually cycle up it!
  • Options
    My new Cervelo R5 - for road races

My Venge - for crits 

My old Cervelo S5 - former race bike

May I ask what made you move from the S5 to R5?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    My new Cervelo R5 - for road races

My Venge - for crits 

My old Cervelo S5 - former race bike

May I ask what made you move from the S5 to R5?
    R5 better for climbing. S5 is a weapon on the flat, but struggles with anything above about 6% (and Lancashire is full of b*stard horrible steep stuff). I'll still race the S5 on flat courses, but want to do some grippier stuff in the next couple of years - especially when I get to V50 cat
  • Options
    I've got a spare 105 11-30 cassette which you can have for £35 quid if you want it. They are between £50-£60 if you can find them.in stock anywhere. This is completely unused, just doesn't have any packaging.

Easy to swap it out yourself if you have a chain whip. You will get your money back selling the 11-32 on, saves the hassle of dealing with shops and Orro.
    Cheers mate, shop I've been dealing with near work fitted one for cost of part only in the end, finally got back out on the road at the weekend.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Little known fact:
    In April 1915, aged 20 Jimmy Seed signed up for WW1 service and was assigned to the Northern Cyclist Battalion (or as he called it, the Sunderland Cycle Corps), along with several other Sunderland footballers. He trained with them, but was transferred to the 
    the 8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Leeds Rifles) for active service. 

Photo isn’t JS, but shows a strongly built steel framed bike with one gear. Would anyone happen to know if this would have been a fixie, or a single speed with a free hub? (I’m not sure if free hubs were invented by then?)

Found this info on the internet:

In 1914, the British army had 14,000 men in cycle regiments and battalions, increasing to 20,000 by the end of the war. When the Americans entered the war in 1917, they shipped 26,407 bicycles with them to France. They did not have any established bicycle corps, the bikes – and also harley-Davidson motorcycles – being available as required. [The bicycles were slower of course, had the advantages of being cheaper, and silent]

There were three types of bicycle used by the British army during WW1:

MILITARY FOLDING BICYCLES: In Great Britain, mainly built by BSA and Phillips, to specified pattern. Other styles built by Peugeot in France; Bianchi in Italy; also Austrian and Russian versions.

MILITARY ROADSTERS: Many of the top manufacturers offered militarised versions of their civilian roadsters. They were generally single speed machines; usually with more robust frames (i.e. if the company also made a tradesmen’s bicycle, that frame would be used for the military machine); wider 1 3/4″ wheels; without a chaincase; and with various combinations of military fittings, eg rear and front carriers, rifle clips, inflator pump, and tool bag with tools.

CIVILIAN ROADSTERS: The majority of bicycles used during WW1 were normal roadsters. Military accessories were available from Terry, Brooks, Gamages or individual manufacturers. A rear carrier was the most common accessory. Front carriers and rifle clips were often fitted too. The most essential items were an inflator pump and a toolbag containing basic tools and puncture repair outfit.

Cyclists were initially excited by the prospect of exclusive cyclist battalions, enlisting with their friends and fellow riders. In the early days of the war, military cyclists proved their worth, and there were numerous reports of their bravery in the British cycling press. But trench warfare forced the reassignment of soldiers from cyclist units to infantry units, and though bicycles were still used extensively throughout the war by all sides, there was less need for actual cyclist units.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but thought it might be interesting to some. 

• Options
    In case you were wondering, hitting the deck at (checks notes) 52k/h, sliding 5 metres along the road and having another rider land on top of you is quite painful. Do not recommend... 😫
  • Options
    In case you were wondering, hitting the deck at (checks notes) 52k/h, sliding 5 metres along the road and having another rider land on top of you is quite painful. Do not recommend... 😫
    Hope it gets better soon. But more importantly how’s the bike?