Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Less than 2 weeks to put a nice scratch on brand new carbon wheels. Fucking London roads are a nightmare.
    Urrrrgh. Same thing happened to me on a TT a couple of years ago. Brand new disc wheel (less than a month old) screw straight through tyre, tube and rim 😡
  • Options
    Thankfully it didn't go through the wheel. Just scratched it. Looks like it may "rub" out fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Any Strava users amongst you, might be worth checking your privacy settings and your feed for suspicious activity. Appears my account had been compromised somehow, as when I scrolled through an hour or so ago there were some randomly uploaded activities which were just links to moody Russian websites.

Managed to delete them all and have reset my password. There was a random follower who I didn't recognise and certainly didn't accept as well. Have deleted, blocked and reported that account as I suspect that was the issue.
  • Options
    Any Strava users amongst you, might be worth checking your privacy settings and your feed for suspicious activity. Appears my account had been compromised somehow, as when I scrolled through an hour or so ago there were some randomly uploaded activities which were just links to moody Russian websites.

Managed to delete them all and have reset my password. There was a random follower who I didn't recognise and certainly didn't accept as well. Have deleted, blocked and reported that account as I suspect that was the issue.
    Unlikely to have *actually* been hacked. Just credential stuffing if you reuse passwords from other sites. Check the email address you use for Strava on haveibeenpwned.com - if it shows up on there, then you'll end up getting compromised somewhere else too if you share passwords elsewhere. Even if you don't see it there, that just means the password has been compromised on a site where the credentials database hasn't been shared on pastebin or any of the usual sources.
  • Options

Made it down to whitstable this morning. 
    Ah - I'm riding down there next weekend with mates
  • Options

Ah - I'm riding down there next weekend with mates
    It was such a gorgeous cycle, though got there so early nothing was bloody open.

Had to find a petrol station on the loop back around to get my ice cream fix. 
  • Options

I was looking at the System Six recently, but went for an Orbea Orca Aero M31in the end. Mechanical Ultegra was £250 dearer than Sram eTap on the Orbea. Cannondale always seem to have a premium on their bikes.

• Options
    Was anyone from here riding on Pilgrims Way this morning in a CAFC top? If so, I was one of the blokes you saw at the corner near Heaverham 😊
  • Options
    Wasn't me but I was also around that way as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice ride out to whitstable - but I wouldn't want to do those Pilgrims Way downhills in the wet... 😳
  • Options
    Yeah not much fun especially when you catch some of the gravel in the middle of the road.

That's a hell of a long way to get to Whitstable.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I know in the grand scheme of things it’s barely a bump, but think I left a bit if my soul on Hogtrough Hill today. In my defence seemed like no escape from the sun on it and I was about 80km in already. 
  • Options
    Waiting for @Charlton_Charlie to drop in. He completed the tour of the Californian Alps yesterday (The Death Ride). 102.5 miles and 13,700ft of climbing. All in 100 degree heat. Believe he ended the day on an IV drip. Hopefully he will be along soon to give us the details and prove he has recovered!
  • Options
    Waiting for @Charlton_Charlie to drop in. He completed the tour of the Californian Alps yesterday (The Death Ride). 102.5 miles and 13,700ft of climbing. All in 100 degree heat. Believe he ended the day on an IV drip. Hopefully he will be along soon to give us the details and prove he has recovered!
    Jesus. 
  • Options
    I noticed that on the Strava group, insane ride.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Yeah not much fun especially when you catch some of the gravel in the middle of the road.

Yeah - I lost my back wheel early in the ride going down Beddlestead (forgot what a fucker of a descent that was, and the gravel has got worse since I last did it a few years ago) and then it stepped out again near Chevening - took it super easy after that. Not much in the way of hills, but wasn't expecting Hollingbourne when it arrived - piece of piss at the start, but rears up rudely in the middle 😏
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I noticed that on the Strava group, insane ride.
    I just looked. Jesus.

colthe3rd said:

Yeah - I lost my back wheel early in the ride going down Beddlestead (forgot what a fucker of a descent that was, and the gravel has got worse since I last did it a few years ago) and then it stepped out again near Chevening - took it super easy after that. Not much in the way of hills, but wasn't expecting Hollingbourne when it arrived - piece of piss at the start, but rears up rudely in the middle 😏
    I never like going up any of those hills along that ridge. Whenever the gradient gets above 15% I struggle to drag my overweight body up them ha ha.

On the flip side I did go down Titsey Hill for the first time ever today, which was a fun descent. I think they recently resurfaced it. 

• Options
    Can’t say too much as am currently ‘refuelling’ in a craft beer bar in Sacramento.. It was insane..too hot, too steep etc etc combined with a lack of training.. The first ride I’ve ever done where I have literally collapsed at the end and come too in an ambulance… There’s a few pics on my Insta: @mattowense10

I’m going to focus on single track mtb for a while I think…
  • Options
    Can’t say too much as am currently ‘refuelling’ in a craft beer bar in Sacramento.. It was insane..too hot, too steep etc etc combined with a lack of training.. The first ride I’ve ever done where I have literally collapsed at the end and come too in an ambulance… There’s a few pics on my Insta: @mattowense10

It going to take a lot of Other Half to rehydrate after that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    None to be had in California I’m afraid @SomervilleAddick …but I did pick up a couple of bottles of Pliny The Elder in SF 👍🏻
  • Options
    Sadly missed out on a great win today as was doing a cycle in Wales. Did get to climb the Bwlch and Rhigos though which were gorgeous and slightly softened the blow.

And yes there were a load of sheep.

• Options

Pics on IG look great, are you on Strava, would love to check out that route as I have a mate living over in California. Just got back from a week cycling in Puerto Banus, not great but a few decent hills to explore. Now back to flat Saigon. 
  • Options

Pics on IG look great, are you on Strava, would love to check out that route as I have a mate living over in California. Just got back from a week cycling in Puerto Banus, not great but a few decent hills to explore. Now back to flat Saigon. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    'Lycra Warriors' would have made a great early 90s Saturday morning cartoon. It follows The Lycra Warriors in their ongoing battle against the evil 'Cotton Squadron'.
  • Options

Great shout ! :-:smile: Surrey Hills 
  • Options
    I’ve got a friend who is looking to visit the UK next year, and he’s asked for suggestions for, and I quote, “epic rides”. Given I haven’t ridden in the UK for 30years, and even then my riding was mostly limited to Plumstead/City commuting, I thought I d ask the experts. 

He works part time as a cycle tour guide, he cycles around Colorado for fun. Distance and hills will not be a problem. I was thinking Yorkshire for starters. I’m assuming loops as they plan on visiting for two weeks, but only a week of cycling. 

Any tips, or recommended web sites? Views and a challenge would be the idea. I don’t think cranking along the A12 is in their plans. 
  • Options
    Did a few nice routes/days on Lands End to John O'Groats a couple of years ago. Shap Fell is a nice ride and a "lively" decent.

Wye Valley was lovely as well. Shropshire Hills are not monsters, but they go on and on and there are lots of them.

Scotland has some amazing rides as well. Any part of the North Coast 500. The route around Fort William which takes you past the Crask Inn was amazing.

There is a route which takes you all the way from Cape Wrath to John O'Groats as well (have ridden half of it). That was tough as the wind was insane but it's worth it for the scenario.

Did a 5 day bike pack and took in some of the Scottish Islands as well - Mull, Jura, Islay and Rothesay last year. Can highly recommend any of those. Justake sure you tell them to take industrial strength midge repellent.