Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    If it costs only £140 new it's a pile of crap. Don't touch it, you'd regret it.

If you are employed see if your firm does Cyclescheme and get something through that.
  • Options
    iainment said:

If it costs only £140 new it's a pile of crap. Don't touch it, you'd regret it.

If you are employed see if your firm does Cyclescheme and get something through that.

Oh well, not employed (retired)
  • Options
    And thanks Gents.
  • Options
    I'd look second hand, for £140 you'll get something a lot better than a sports direct cheapy
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

I stupidly thought I could do the ride on a 50/60 quid mountain bike, I'm around 5'9" most of my finances are tied up with the voluntary work with my dogs. Sportsdirect do a £140 road bike, that's looks like my best/only option.

You'll get a better bike for that money on eBay, than from Sports Direct.
  • Options
    you'll probably regret buying the sports direct jobby. can you throw in another 100 quid? if so then the triban 100 from Decathlon may be a good option, if not then 2nd hand is the way to go
  • Options

Ah that sucks. If its not fixable, and you have to wait for the broom wagon it's even worse if you've been going well too - because it'll be crawling along miles behind you. Was it a pothole? Some nasty ones on the route - caused three crashes at least in the race.

I did 3:04:59 - was with the lead group until there was a split 15km from the end whilst I was in the middle of the bunch. Me and another lad drilled it for five minutes trying to bring it back, but with no-one else working we sat up in the end. Annoying, because I'd done just enough work to keep myself near the front most of the race, and would have had a good chance of a win, or top three at least. C'est la vie!

Respect Leroy that was the nuts, well done. Next year the timings are going to be tighter from the announcements at the start. Are you going to have another go?
  • Options
    SESEVEN said:

Ah that sucks. If its not fixable, and you have to wait for the broom wagon it's even worse if you've been going well too - because it'll be crawling along miles behind you. Was it a pothole? Some nasty ones on the route - caused three crashes at least in the race.

I did 3:04:59 - was with the lead group until there was a split 15km from the end whilst I was in the middle of the bunch. Me and another lad drilled it for five minutes trying to bring it back, but with no-one else working we sat up in the end. Annoying, because I'd done just enough work to keep myself near the front most of the race, and would have had a good chance of a win, or top three at least. C'est la vie!

Respect Leroy that was the nuts, well done. Next year the timings are going to be tighter from the announcements at the start. Are you going to have another go?
    I think I'll give it a miss next year. Its smack in the middle of my real race season and disrupts me quite a bit. Realistically I've only got two more years being competitive with the youngsters before I have to do vets racing full time, so I'm planning on giving racing a 'proper go' next year. Might go to Italy though - even though the course doesn't suit me at all (far too hilly!)
  • Options
    Well after 5 years properly out the saddle, despite riding a couple of 30-40 milers last year and got the bug again but got distracted by life, my bike has just gone in for a full service and I'm going to be back out on the roads shortly.

Looking forward to it but nervous all the same.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Well after 5 years properly out the saddle, despite riding a couple of 30-40 milers last year and got the bug again but got distracted by life, my bike has just gone in for a full service and I'm going to be back out on the roads shortly.

Looking forward to it but nervous all the same.

Good to have you back. No-one stays gone forever :lol:

Take it easy first few times out - and don't get put off by the ever decreasing standards of driving!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm dusting off my Vitus 979 and riding l'eroica next weekend.

Missed it last year and i've heard its become a bit more corporate now. Should still be good fun.

https://eroicabritannia.co.uk
  • Options
    Some advice please, I have a bike and in the next day or two will have the associated safety equipment. Now how to start, how do I ease myself into this? Do I just jump on and go as far as I can and walk/crawl back home or time limit myself and increase in time? I've genuinely no idea.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Some advice please, I have a bike and in the next day or two will have the associated safety equipment. Now how to start, how do I ease myself into this? Do I just jump on and go as far as I can and walk/crawl back home or time limit myself and increase in time? I've genuinely no idea.

Go back through this thread. It's all here.
  • Options
    iainment said:

T_C_E said:

Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    T_C_E said:

No no, that’s the last thing you want to do! Start off slowly, a few miles every few days or so. Work up to doing 20, 30, 40 miles a week over a period of months. Then try a longer ride 20-50 in one go. Don’t think you can just jump on and do 50 without working up to it, you will fall apart and very likely injure yourself - putting you right back at square one.

I’ve found the phone app Strava really helps with this. You can use the free version to track how many miles you’ve done over a session and it saves it to show your total for the week/month/year.

If you’re not using it to commute have a google of cycle routes near you. Avoid hills, off road tracks and heavy traffic. Then set yourself little targets. I’m working back up to 20+ miles a week myself atm as I’ve got a dicky ankle.

Just take it easy and have fun!
  • Options
    EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

No no, that’s the last thing you want to do! Start off slowly, a few miles every few days or so. Work up to doing 20, 30, 40 miles a week over a period of months. Then try a longer ride 20-50 in one go. Don’t think you can just jump on and do 50 without working up to it, you will fall apart and very likely injure yourself - putting you right back at square one.

I’ve found the phone app Strava really helps with this. You can use the free version to track how many miles you’ve done over a session and it saves it to show your total for the week/month/year.

If you’re not using it to commute have a google of cycle routes near you. Avoid hills, off road tracks and heavy traffic. Then set yourself little targets. I’m working back up to 20+ miles a week myself atm as I’ve got a dicky ankle.

Thank you, that's very helpful.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

Sound advice. When first starting out, it's tempting to buy into the whole 'training' thing - but in reality, you'll improve simply by riding the bike to begin with, so don't listen to anybody who tries to tell you that you need a 'plan' - you definitely don't. As @EastStand says, just ride and get used to the bike - upping your distance gradually.

A few things are likely to hurt (maybe more than a few, depending on your position on the bike, flexibility, setup of the saddle/bars and any old injuries or problems.
    The first thing you'll find is that your arse hurts. Fact of life on the bike that, but it gets easier the more you do it and the more your 'sit bones' get used to the saddle. Do NOT use a gel padded seat. These abominations are one of the worst things ever invented for novice riders. Your backside will hurt MORE using one of these than just using a regular saddle, and you'll get chafing (trust me - saddle sores from rubbing are far worse than pain from the saddle itself)
    Secondly, until you get the position dialled in properly, your knees will probably hurt. This is likely because your saddle will be about 30mm too low (everyone does it starting out). Generalisation here (everyone is different) but when sitting on the saddle in your normal position you should literally just about be able to touch the ground with the tip of your shoe without leaning the bike to the side. That will feel weird to begin with as it will require you to lean the bike slightly to the left or right to get on, but will pay handsome dividends in the long run because you won't end up with ruined knees
    Thirdly, try and keep a decent stack height at the front of the bike. You'll see race bikes that are 'slammed' (no spacers between the handlebar and the head tube) because its much more aero and faster - but that's at the sacrifice of comfort (more so if you have back pain)
    Fourthly, if you're not using cleats (clipped in pedals) then get used to them as quickly as possible. Give you a much more fluid pedal stroke and don't put as much pressure on the arches of your feet or on your knees. Practicing clipping in and out on grass is a good idea at first - because you WILL fall. Off until you get used to them, and it's better to do that on grass than tarmac :lol:

Good luck! Keep us updated on how you're getting on
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Some advice please, I have a bike .

what did you get?
  • Options
    Ooh yes and Leroy has reminded me - padded shorts are your friend! If, like me, you don’t feel comfortable rocking the skin tight shorts look wear them under some baggier shorts. But the padding really helps without chafing you like saddle covers do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

Thanks
    Sorry for being a bit terse.

Everything said about starting after your post is true.
    One other thing that really helped me was having a cycling buddy. So if you have anyone you know who is either an established cyclist or a beginner like you go for some rides with them. Leisurely rides at first.

The other main thing is make sure you can mend a puncture. It will happen and it's always when you're too far away to walk back!

Happy wheels.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Calling on my 40 years of experience i would suggest riding round the block. Then when you're knackered at least you'll be home.

Seriously though, just go out riding to get some road sense first then when you feel comfortable in traffic build up the distance.
    Halfords have Boardman baggy shorts with a padded insert that would suit you.
  • Options
    Thanks folks, just bought a second hand mountain bike to build any sort of fitness levels and will buy a road bike in the next few months. Went out this morning along the seafront 2.6 miles, now walking another 10 with my dogs. Surprisingly no aches and pains.
  • Options
    rina said:

T_C_E said:

Some advice please, I have a bike .

what did you get?
    Just a cheap second hand mountain bike to get fit/used to a bike. ;)
  • Options

T_C_E said:

Calling on my 40 years of experience i would suggest riding round the block. Then when you're knackered at least you'll be home.

Seriously though, just go out riding to get some road sense first then when you feel comfortable in traffic build up the distance.
    Halfords have Boardman baggy shorts with a padded insert that would suit you.
    I rode along the seafront, mainly because its flat and I wanted to get used to riding a bike again.
  • Options
    London to Brighton today, almost time to head to Clapham, wish me luck :blush:
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

London to Brighton today, almost time to head to Clapham, wish me luck :blush:

Ditto, on route now
  • Options
    Good luck to you both.
  • Options
    good luck. enjoy guys