Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    holyjo said:

Genuine question - I’m a XC MTB rider. I ride 60-80 miles a week mainly off road. I usually do a big Summer challenge ; off road coast to coast of England or Wales kind of thing. I usually ride between 25-50 miles off road on a Sunday morning

I love the trails , the beauty of the countryside or mountains, the technical challenge and the ability of the bike to get me through most situations. There is always a bit of banter between our crowd and roadies, but I’d love to know why you ride on the road as opposed to off road

One last thing - in 17 years of MTB the scariest times I’ve had on a bike are without doubt when I’ve been on the road

It's faster and you don't have to find somewhere to do it.
  • Options
    Hi BB are you doing the BHF SDW in July, or have you done it before.
    I do a bit of both, More MTB in winter, to avoid icy roads etc.
  • Options
    SESEVEN said:

Hi BB are you doing the BHF SDW in July, or have you done it before.
    I do a bit of both, More MTB in winter, to avoid icy roads etc.

No and certainly not.
    Since i was operated on the last thing I'll be doing is sitting on a bike.
  • Options
    holyjo said:

Genuine question - I’m a XC MTB rider. I ride 60-80 miles a week mainly off road. I usually do a big Summer challenge ; off road coast to coast of England or Wales kind of thing. I usually ride between 25-50 miles off road on a Sunday morning

I love the trails , the beauty of the countryside or mountains, the technical challenge and the ability of the bike to get me through most situations. There is always a bit of banter between our crowd and roadies, but I’d love to know why you ride on the road as opposed to off road

One last thing - in 17 years of MTB the scariest times I’ve had on a bike are without doubt when I’ve been on the road

Mostly because I live in London :wink:

Also for me a road bike is a thing of beauty, MTB are clunky things designed to not smash up when you throw yourself down hills. I used to have a MTB and used it for cycling roads for a few years. When I got my first road bike it was like upgrading from a fiat to a ferarri.

Probably just my experience. If I lived out in t'countryside (or had a car to cart my bike out there) I'd probably get a MTB - but I'd keep my road bikes.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

After lasting less than a fortnight on my 25 quid second hand mountain bike, today I invested in nearly new road bike which is being delivered tomorrow. I had an unexpected day off yesterday and despite the heat went out to see what I could do. Despite feeling there was still more in my legs I rode 11 miles in 70 minutes. Appreciating that it's not in the same league as you guys, but is that good/bad/indifferent for someone my age (60) that has only ridden for 10 days. Once again the bike was only a couple of hundred quid to see what I can do with a road bike. image

Nice! I love the red brake cables, very smart.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

After lasting less than a fortnight on my 25 quid second hand mountain bike, today I invested in nearly new road bike which is being delivered tomorrow. I had an unexpected day off yesterday and despite the heat went out to see what I could do. Despite feeling there was still more in my legs I rode 11 miles in 70 minutes. Appreciating that it's not in the same league as you guys, but is that good/bad/indifferent for someone my age (60) that has only ridden for 10 days. Once again the bike was only a couple of hundred quid to see what I can do with a road bike. image

I had a lovely ride out again this morning, getting the miles under my belt and not feeling it is even more surprising. image
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

I had a lovely ride out again this morning, getting the miles under my belt and not feeling it is even more surprising. image
    @T_C_E
    Welcome to the road!

Have you ever seen any 'GCN' on youtube?
    They cover all sorts of road bike related matters from road side repairs to cadence.
    I found their content very helpful when I started out on the road.
  • Options
    Howells said:

T_C_E said:

EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

@T_C_E
    Welcome to the road!

Have you ever seen any 'GCN' on youtube?
    They cover all sorts of road bike related matters from road side repairs to cadence.
    I found their content very helpful when I started out on the road.
    I'll have a look. Cheers
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

If you're at a loss for something to do at 4:30 tomorrow morning (Hahaha) one of the best 'unofficial' rides of the year starts pretty much outside your front door by the looks of it!

Chase The Sun starts from Sheppey at sunrise and ends in Burnham On Sea - the aim for riders being to beat the sunset over a 200-odd mile ride. Its a great ride - all sorts of riders from fast riders who can knock it out in under 10 hours to people who have no hope in hell of completing it but want to get as far as they can.
  • Options
    Never heard of that. Sounds great fun. Don't live too far, will have to try/dream of doing it in the coming years. You've gotta be some amateur cyclist to make 20 mph over 200 miles group or not. Chapeau.

Though doubt I'd make much more than a 100 miles before I'd give in to my pie fixations that kick in after 50 odd miles.

My dream's always been to do the Fred Whitton. Gotta try Ditchling Beacon this year, that wasn't always fun on a 53/39.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

T_C_E said:

EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

If you're at a loss for something to do at 4:30 tomorrow morning (Hahaha) one of the best 'unofficial' rides of the year starts pretty much outside your front door by the looks of it!

Chase The Sun starts from Sheppey at sunrise and ends in Burnham On Sea - the aim for riders being to beat the sunset over a 200-odd mile ride. Its a great ride - all sorts of riders from fast riders who can knock it out in under 10 hours to people who have no hope in hell of completing it but want to get as far as they can.
    As someone that's not done 20 miles yet, I'll swerve that one. ;)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

EastStand said:

T_C_E said:

As someone that's not done 20 miles yet, I'll swerve that one. ;)
    Lol - I didn't mean ride it :lol:

I meant go down to see them off!
  • Options
    @t_c_e your doing better than me, I have my cycle to work voucher now - just need to go shopping.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

@t_c_e your doing better than me, I have my cycle to work voucher now - just need to go shopping.

My bike has just arrived, it looks like new. Try these guys, very helpful to a novice like me and great value for money.
    https://gdbikes4u.com
  • Options
    I just bought a new (old) bike from eBay, got to collect it tomorrow.
    After my super slow time on the London 2 Brighton, I’ve decided 29” wheels must become my friend.....
  • Options
    Out for a leisurely 60 miler today and got a tyre wrecking puncture from a stupidly big nail.
    Luckily it was on the way back near Dartford so I got the train to Plumstead.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Rob7Lee said:

My bike has just arrived, it looks like new. Try these guys, very helpful to a novice like me and great value for money.
    https://gdbikes4u.com
    I’ll buy new, only because effectively through work I get about 45% off.
  • Options
    So... just got back on my bike on the turbo last 2 days after a year or so. Can already feel my groin, which stopped me running just over 2 years ago.

Shame, the legs and lungs feel strong still, the groin sadly isnt.

Have been putting it off for so long, need to bite the bullet and get the op done now. Feel sick just thinking about it.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

So... just got back on my bike on the turbo last 2 days after a year or so. Can already feel my groin, which stopped me running just over 2 years ago.

Shame, the legs and lungs feel strong still, the groin sadly isnt.

Have been putting it off for so long, need to bite the bullet and get the op done now. Feel sick just thinking about it.

That sucks. But at least you know for sure that you need it done. What is it - double hernia?
  • Options
    99% Gilmore's Groin as it was diagnosed or was a tear of the transversalis facia but I'm pretty sure it isnt that now. I felt sick googling it but I've got no choice now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's what they used to called the 'sportsman's hernia' isn't it? If it is, you'll be fine. Standard op - nothing to be scared of. Quicker you get it done, the quicker you can get back to the bike/running.
  • Options
    How can i get a video from an iPhone on to here?
    It's outrageous.
  • Options

How can i get a video from an iPhone on to here?
    It's outrageous.

Outrageous. The video or getting it on to here?
  • Options
    The video.
    It's probably quite simple for someone 10 and under.
  • Options
    It's not that one doing the rounds of the prick pushing a rider off his bike is it?
  • Options
    Yep
  • Options
    A car load of cunts is being kind.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I think if you do attach a file @Baldybonce - under the comment box.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

I think if you do attach a file @Baldybonce - under the comment box.

Tried that thanks but won't allow.

• Options
    I wouldn't bother. Won't make a blind bit of difference to anyone, will just lead to trolling and serves no purpose. I mean, it's not as if posting it will make people stop and think 'oooh - maybe that might be dangerous' before leaning out of a window and pushing a cyclist travelling at 30mph into a fucking ditch.