Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options

Best thing about today’s 45 miles. Top class Apple Pie at Shoreham Tea Room.

Raspberry, white chocolate and pistachio cake at the Lambing Shed in Knutsford.

We should start a Caf thread :smiley:
  • Options

Raspberry, white chocolate and pistachio cake at the Lambing Shed in Knutsford.

We should start a Caf thread :smiley:
    I'd have gone for an americano but the cake looks good.
  • Options

I was there a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday morning. Was just about to go into the museum when the guy who runs it told us that he’d just had a call from Biggian Hill and the spitfire would be flying over shortly. Always a fantastic sight.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Back on the bike after ending up with plantar fasciitis from running, the fitness from the running seems to be helping the cycling, so it's not all bad

Use a golf ball by rolling under your bare foot for 5 minutes a day. Should help with the pf
  • Options
    Back out this morning on the MTB after the road bike chain was damaged after a bloody awful gear change mix up last week. Every turning I took the wind seemed to be in my face, but I managed 26 miles so I'm well pleased with that. All the tips and advice on here is helping. Thanks gentsimage
  • Options
    In Kerry for the Ring of Kerry charity cycle this weekend. As ever worried I don't have enough in my legs. Even though they've remeasured it down from 180 to 170k.
    If I start at 5 though I reckon I'll be in my local for the England game. (I'm slow and find it hard to tear myself from the feed stations!)
  • Options
    Good luck. Sure you'll be in the boozer by 2:30!
  • Options

Good luck. Sure you'll be in the boozer by 2:30!

Thanks. I think I'll be there too. But there's no lack of pubs if I have to break the cycle for the game. And I've got my England shirt to wear as well.
    Exciting day for me.
  • Options
    iainment said:

In Kerry for the Ring of Kerry charity cycle this weekend. As ever worried I don't have enough in my legs. Even though they've remeasured it down from 180 to 170k.
    If I start at 5 though I reckon I'll be in my local for the England game. (I'm slow and find it hard to tear myself from the feed stations!)

Am considering doing this next year. How do you get there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

iainment said:

Ryanair to Kerry Airport.

I'm lucky enough to be with a Kerry woman so we have somewhere to stay.

But Kerry relies on tourism so there's plenty of accommodation and if you need it there's bike hire too.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

But Kerry relies on tourism so there's plenty of accommodation and if you need it there's bike hire too.
    According to my Garmin it's 170k with 1808m climbing.
    Got back a while ago and am now watching England wearing my England shirt and wearing my medal.
    Come on England!! (and Russia.)
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Would rather use my own bike. Do you fly yours out with Ryan Air? Not sure I’d trust them!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

iainment said:

iainment said:

Would rather use my own bike. Do you fly yours out with Ryan Air? Not sure I’d trust them!
    I have an old hybrid in Kerry that I use for cycling in Ireland.

The looks I get! Because, as I said it's not a road bike and I always bring a pannier. But still "beat" some of the lycra boys. Which they don't like.

However if you use a strong bike box I wouldn't think there's anything to worry about.
  • Options
    I've flown with my bike via Ryanair @Clem_Snide and it was fine...the baggage handlers don't work for Ryanair...can't remember the cost of putting it in the hold though....
  • Options

I've flown with my bike via Ryanair @Clem_Snide and it was fine...the baggage handlers don't work for Ryanair...can't remember the cost of putting it in the hold though....

See you next year then @Clem_Snide !
  • Options
    Got my start time for RideLondon. Put down 4 hours estimated finish time... Got 7:52 start time.

Fuuuuuuck. That.

Doing the Dunwich Dynamo instead
  • Options
    A lot of my workmates are doing the dunwich dynamo....not me though :wink:
  • Options

Got my start time for RideLondon. Put down 4 hours estimated finish time... Got 7:52 start time.

Fuuuuuuck. That.

Doing the Dunwich Dynamo instead

I've wanted to do that for ages. Maybe next year as I just looked and the coaches back are all full.
    Although I might look at staying a night or 2 and then cycling or training it back.
  • Options
    I'm riding back. Plan on giving it some beans on the way out, and just bimbling back. Starting at 8, think we should be finished by about 2, then get back into London by about 10. Did it four or five years ago and loved it - even though it absolutely hammered it down for the last 20 miles, and was so bad on the way back we abandoned and diverted to Ipswich then got the train
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you need decent lights on the bike for Dunwich? or can you blag it with stuff that's a bit more basic?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Do you need decent lights on the bike for Dunwich? or can you blag it with stuff that's a bit more basic?

I know someone who has done it a few times and he says you need something to light the road up properly. Lots of unlit country lanes.

If it wasn’t so close to Ride London I would have done it this year.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I'm riding back. Plan on giving it some beans on the way out, and just bimbling back. Starting at 8, think we should be finished by about 2, then get back into London by about 10. Did it four or five years ago and loved it - even though it absolutely hammered it down for the last 20 miles, and was so bad on the way back we abandoned and diverted to Ipswich then got the train

That is crazy. I put my estimated time at 6.5 hours and got 7.36am!

Did you link your Strava Account? I read something that they base start times on thise stats if you give them access.
  • Options

Rothko said:

I know someone who has done it a few times and he says you need something to light the road up properly. Lots of unlit country lanes.

If it wasn’t so close to Ride London I would have done it this year.
    Yeah, you need a proper light - not just a 'be seen' one. However you only need it for about five hours ('night' doesn't last that long this time of year)
  • Options

Did you link your Strava Account? I read something that they base start times on thise stats if you give them access.
    Yep. Strava account linked. Clearly made no difference - Useless gits. I'm going to defer entry until next year, and hope that I get a decent start time
  • Options

Yep. Strava account linked. Clearly made no difference - Useless gits. I'm going to defer entry until next year, and hope that I get a decent start time
    You lot are all so bonkers that I genuinely don’t know if your better start time would have been earlier or later than this....????
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The idea is that the faster your expected finish time, the earlier your start should be. In the past there have been a lot of people putting completely unachievable times down to try and get an early start in the hope they can do a quick time just by taking advantage of sitting on other riders' wheels. This year, the organisers were supposed to be linking to people's Strava accounts to see if their estimated finishing times were legit. Clearly didn't make any difference in my case!
  • Options
    Any thoughts on these? I moved this from outside my house.
  • Options

If they're used they're fine.

The problem is where they're abandoned. Cluttering pavements and so on.
  • Options

I think they’re great. Better than polluting busses, cars or taxis.

If you ever find one damaged or parked in a stupid place you can report it via the bike company’s app/site.