Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Fair point.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm not having a dig there. Just seems to me that the Internet is full of stuff like this, and all it does is lead to a bunch of people arguing about ridiculous points, which trivialises the issue when in reality, that video shows nothing short of attempted murder.

Then again, that's 'the Internet' in general really i suppose :confused:
  • Options
    I didn't take it as a dig or a dog even.
    Like yourself i see it as attempted murder and hopefully plod will treat it as such.
  • Options
    Back on the bike after ending up with plantar fasciitis from running, the fitness from the running seems to be helping the cycling, so it's not all bad
  • Options
    Just had a week cycling in the Pyrenees...bloomin love it but bloomin hard work...between 150km - 100km per day, with anything between 2000metres and 4500metres of climbing... After the first morning of mist, rain and sleet, things brightened up once we got in to Spain but then we were 'enduring' (as there wasn't much enjoyment!) temps of around 33 - 35 degrees..... Roads in Spain tended to be quite gravelly, so my frame is pretty chipped up in the wheel arches, as I was using 25mm tyres, so they picked up the gravel and got it wedged under/behind the brakes, which is not ideal... For whoever was asking about losing weight...I was burning between 3000 - 6000 calories per day, depending on how hard I went, so expect to lose about 10lbs over the next two weeks (as long as I moderate my eating..) ..

All rides should appear in the CL strava group for anyone who's interested in routes etc...

In other bike news...I've nearly finished my 1984 Haro Master (BMX) restoration and it is a thing of absolute beauty....if I can work out how to post a pic, I will (just need to get the Redline flight cranks on it...).
  • Options
    I've been seeing the rides on Strava and (more enviously) the pics on Insta... :smiley:

The Pyrenees scare me. I'm a sprinter, so anything above about a gradient of 8 degrees is grim for me - some of those climbs at an average of 10 look like torture

I'm in the Alps with the club during the tour - staying in Bourg d'oisans for a week. I have prepared for this week of climbing in the most sensible way possible - by doing a load of flat miles and racing pan flat crits... :smirk:
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Three weeks (ride 7) into my Lycra Warriors apprenticeship I comfortably completed 19.3 miles on tuesday, I thought I'd done more and could of easily done so. Should I be looking at pushing myself harder or just steadily increase the distance?

Ray, you are doing great mate and 19 miles is good going within 3 weeks. My advice would be to keep easing the milage up rather than going for a 50 miler this afternoon.

It is not just about how you feel on the day or directly after you get off the bike, the further you go recovery will play a part in your training.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Three weeks (ride 7) into my Lycra Warriors apprenticeship I comfortably completed 19.3 miles on tuesday, I thought I'd done more and could of easily done so. Should I be looking at pushing myself harder or just steadily increase the distance?

Steady increase of no more than 10% pw.
    You've got plenty of time to reach your target next year.
    You're doing well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

T_C_E said:

Ray, you are doing great mate and 19 miles is good going within 3 weeks. My advice would be to keep easing the milage up rather than going for a 50 miler this afternoon.

It is not just about how you feel on the day or directly after you get off the bike, the further you go recovery will play a part in your training.
    iainment said:

T_C_E said:

You're doing well.
    Thanks Gents, for both the advice and the encouragement. Getting used the bike, with the gears etc is hardwork a couple of times Ive changed into the wrong one and nearly ended up kneeing myself in the face and the saddle and how unforgiving are they on a road bike? Every time I get off after my ride I have to check the saddle is still attached to the bike. I'm more concerned that I haven't had any after effects, no sore legs etc. I got home tuesday and changed and went straight back out with the dogs for a 2 hour walk/training session and felt fine. I'm out again tomorrow and aim to break the 20 miles which was my target for the month. :)
  • Options
    Looking at some of your photos on here Ray it will not be the first time you have changed into the wrong gear!!!

I'll get me coat :smile:
  • Options

Looking at some of your photos on here Ray it will not be the first time you have changed into the wrong gear!!!

I'll get me coat :smile:

All Lycra now mate, I look like a lost extra from "Seal Island" :(
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

You're doing well.
    Thanks Gents, for both the advice and the encouragement. Getting used the bike, with the gears etc is hardwork a couple of times Ive changed into the wrong one and nearly ended up kneeing myself in the face and the saddle and how unforgiving are they on a road bike? Every time I get off after my ride I have to check the saddle is still attached to the bike. I'm more concerned that I haven't had any after effects, no sore legs etc. I got home tuesday and changed and went straight back out with the dogs for a 2 hour walk/training session and felt fine. I'm out again tomorrow and aim to break the 20 miles which was my target for the month. :)
    Great going! Just remember - it never gets easier, you just go faster :wink:

Up the mileage gradually and before you know it you'll be knocking out 50 milers for fun

Road bikes are less forgiving than hybrids or MTBs, yes - but most of this is because people don't have them set up right.

You've obviously got a decent level of base fitness - if you're not pushing too hard, its not surprising it isn't hurting you. You'll be surprised at just how unfit a lot of people are. Most people don't do more than 3000 steps in a day nowadays, so the thought of riding even 20 miles in one go (which would take them about two hours) makes them recoil in horror. You do huge amounts of walking as part of your daily routine, so will be much fitter than most people
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

You're doing well.
    You're ahead of me, still waiting for my bike to be delivered! But it is ordered now...... Hopefully next week I'll be pedalling the streets of London.
  • Options

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

You're doing well.

Up the mileage gradually and before you know it you'll be knocking out 50 milers for fun

Road bikes are less forgiving than hybrids or MTBs, yes - but most of this is because people don't have them set up right.

You've obviously got a decent level of base fitness - if you're not pushing too hard, its not surprising it isn't hurting you. You'll be surprised at just how unfit a lot of people are. Most people don't do more than 3000 steps in a day nowadays, so the thought of riding even 20 miles in one go (which would take them about two hours) makes them recoil in horror. You do huge amounts of walking as part of your daily routine, so will be much fitter than most people
    This was my ride on tuesday, would you say from that I could push myself harder? As far the bike being set up correctly, other than the seat adjusted so I can just touch the floor and I have to lean the bike to get on it, I really wouldn't know if it is or not. I am really enjoying it which surprised me and Im cycling up hills I'd never have thought possible if I'm honest.image<
  • Options
    If you really get into this Ray I would suggest a professional Bike Fit, I had mine done at Wildside Cycles in Tonbridge.

They made some very good changes to my set up including some inserts in my racing shoes.

They also give you the print out and info so if you accidentally change anything you know where it should be.

http://www.wildside-online.co.uk/bg-fit
  • Options

If you really get into this Ray I would suggest a professional Bike Fit, I had mine done at Wildside Cycles in Tonbridge.

They made some very good changes to my set up including some inserts in my racing shoes.

They also give you the print out and info so if you accidentally change anything you know where it should be.

I'm still wearing trainers and using standard pedals and to be honest I'll be surprised if I change that, my goal at the moment is to get fit enough to take part and complete next years ride. After that I don't know, I'm getting up at 4.00 to fit a ride in twice weekly and I'm not sure I can keep that up for to long. I'm too old.
    :(
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

You're doing well.

This was my ride on tuesday, would you say from that I could push myself harder? As far the bike being set up correctly, other than the seat adjusted so I can just touch the floor and I have to lean the bike to get on it, I really wouldn't know if it is or not. I am really enjoying it which surprised me and Im cycling up hills I'd never have thought possible if I'm honest.image<</p>
    The harsh reality is that you can ALWAYS push harder. I get off after races where I've smashed myself to nuts and literally the first thing that goes through my head is: I didn't push hard enough at specific points and that I could have gone harder overall to get a better finish position. Its the same at any level - your body can always do more - it's your brain that stops you.

That said, why would you want to push yourself harder? Depends what you're looking to achieve. If it's to get 'faster', then yes - push yourself. If it's to get 'fitter', then yes - go faster or ride for longer. If you're riding just because you enjoy being on the bike, then I wouldn't bother. One week out of every four I have a 'down' week, where I don't race, don't do more than one 'training' ride and just enjoy being on the bike. Despite fretting about it setting me back for racing, in reality it's where I make the most improvement - my form goes up, I remember how much I love doing it (difficult when you're getting smashed to bits in races) and I hit the first week of the next training block fresh and focussed
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

I'm still wearing trainers and using standard pedals and to be honest I'll be surprised if I change that, my goal at the moment is to get fit enough to take part and complete next years ride. After that I don't know, I'm getting up at 4.00 to fit a ride in twice weekly and I'm not sure I can keep that up for to long. I'm too old.
    :(
    It's easier with clipless shoes and pedals.

My advice, fwiw, is get spd pedals and shoes, get padded shorts or undershorts, get proper cycling gloves, use chamois cream and get a good pair of sporting sunglasses. After that it's up to you.
    But don't push it more than feels comfortable for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These are on offer at the mo at Evans, just picked mine up for the new bike; https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-105-5800-spd-sl-road-pedals-EV218604

Got a good deal on this and CycleScheme means almost another 50% off.

https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39b0s412p7797/CANNONDALE-Synapse-Carbon-105-2018
  • Options
    Planning a solo 100 miler over the weekend and am thinking Eltham to Leysdown and back - Google says around 105 miles. Does anyone know whether there is a cycle friendly bridge to get you onto Sheppy?
  • Options

Planning a solo 100 miler over the weekend and am thinking Eltham to Leysdown and back - Google says around 105 miles. Does anyone know whether there is a cycle friendly bridge to get you onto Sheppy?

Yes, the old bridge (next to the new bridge) is cycle friendly. If you cycle through iwade the road will take you over the old bridge.
  • Options

Yes, the old bridge (next to the new bridge) is cycle friendly. If you cycle through iwade the road will take you over the old bridge.
    Cheers.
  • Options

I checked out the bridge (twice) this morning, there are signs up for resurfacing but I didn't catch the dates. But don't think Swale council are are daft enough to shut one of the bridges in the summer (daytime) Managed my 20 mile target despite it being very breezy and with no after affects. :)image
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I have my annual Ring of Kerry charity cycle tomorrow week.
    Just realised if England get past Colombia our qf is at 3pm. Probably as I'm 80 miles in.
    Still the control is open until 8pm so I'll find a pub and watch part way round. Hoping my legs don't seize for the last 30 miles.
    Come on England!!!!
  • Options
    Best thing about today’s 45 miles. Top class Apple Pie at Shoreham Tea Room.
  • Options
    Three weeks on a bike and I've dropped a couple of bra sizes. :)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Three weeks on a bike and I've dropped a couple of bra sizes. :)

The girdle goes next!

Well done.