Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Pigott

Forget about his age is he up to playing at Championship level - if he's not why did CP start him?
Has anyone seen him play regularly and if so could they list his qualities. If CP doesn't like Sordell we need an alternative.

Comments

• Options
    Needs to get on the weights
  • Options
    At least he tries
  • Options
    He's still a very young man. He will not improve if the crowd are 'on his back' every time he makes a mistake .. he is in danger of becoming Charltonised .. I think he is a player with a LOT of potential .. I agree with Nolly and AA above ... he has a go yet needs to muscle up a bit
  • Options
    Shouldn't have started yesterday, Stewart and Harriott changed the Udders game, a 433 would have been the way to go but Powell is stubborn and clearly felt Sordell didn't have the balls for the match so Pigott was the only option
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Shouldn't have started yesterday, Stewart and Harriott changed the Udders game, a 433 would have been the way to go but Powell is stubborn and clearly felt Sordell didn't have the balls for the match so Pigott was the only option

Wasn't it sordell who was claimed to be abused at the den a few seasons back?
  • Options
    I think he will become a decent enough player in time. He just doesn't have the strength or experience to deal with the physical marking that forwards like him are going to get in this division.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sam3110 said:

I would add that Piggott improved the team at Huddersfield when he joined Stewart and Harriott .. he should have been brought on much earlier that he was .. he certainly did more in his less than 10 minutes than Church or Sordell did all game (except for Church's early header that brought a Smithies save)
  • Options
    nolly said:

At least he tries

I could try, would that mean I was good enough? Pigott was out of his depth yesterday.

• Options
    PopIcon said:

nolly said:

At least he tries

I could try, would that mean I was good enough? Pigott was out of his depth yesterday.

as were (most of) the rest of the team
  • Options
    Was to big a game for him, maybe if he had Yann with him it would have worked but he looked a bit below the level required.

Hope it will not affect him long term similar to Wagstaff when he was thrown in too soon under Pardew.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

nolly said:

At least he tries

Out of his depth is unfair. He's young and he came into the team in a really big game and tried, didn't shirk away from it and ran hard. He didn't get much out of it no, but did anyone? The problem yesterday was the midfield, not the strikers, if we could get a midfield which can deliver something I reckon he could really do something.
  • Options
    Experienced defenders are just hustling him off the ball far too easily - whether it is technique or body strength, who knows ? but he has to shape up very quickly or his chance will be gone.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Wasn't it sordell who was claimed to be abused at the den a few seasons back?
    Pretty sure you're right. That's why they were chanting "Liar! Liar" Liar" at him

On the subject of Pigott, I've said this in the post match thread, but if Pigott wasn't a member of Charlton youth he would be booed off the pitch. He is unquestionably out of his depth and has next to no strength and is one of the worst players winning the ball for his height that I have seen.

Maybe pressure got to him, he undoubtedly looked upset with himself when he made mistakes so his heart is 100% in the right place and I respect that, I just think the only way he will properly be right for the first team is if we get relegated a couple of times.

Hopefully he will have the chance to prove me wrong, he needs to be put in a couple of "easy" game situations like when he played against Oxford and could get some decent match experience. The only problem of course is that we have no "easy" games in this league.
  • Options
    This boy given time will become a real Valley hero. He is a goalscorer who gets all types of goals. We need to be patient with him. Unlike others yesterday he did not hide.
  • Options
    So far those saying out of his depth can not name one player better than him who was a seasoned pro on the basis of yesterday we had 14 out of their depth
  • Options
    i htink he just looked as if he wasn't confident enough. he was trying too hard at times too impress like when he ran it off the pitch. he has potential but needs to be stronger and start to command more of a presence, it was like he didn't want to cause any harm to the defence. the team needs to gather round him and help him get better and once he gets his first league goal he won't look back. id say we can't just stop now with him. he was rubbish yesterday but always wanted to impress. give him another start against burnley and he will get better, church wasn't great either and missed a sitter but he got barely any criticism
  • Options

So far those saying out of his depth can not name one player better than him who was a seasoned pro on the basis of yesterday we had 14 out of their depth

Sorry nla but it's not the same thing at all. The experienced pros let us down but not because they were out of their depth. It was a number of reasons dotted all around this forum at the moment. It's being said of JP because hasn't the experience and at his level of development why should he. He didn't hide or shirk and gave his all but even doing that he was ineffective and lost. If the other ten had had his attitude then I doubt this board would be as dispirited as is currently is. I am not slating him. I respect what he tried to do yesterday but he's not ready to lead the line and yesterday he was out of his depth.

• Options

This boy given time will become a real Valley hero. He is a goalscorer who gets all types of goals. We need to be patient with him. Unlike others yesterday he did not hide.

This.
  • Options
    I marked Joe lowly yesterday, but want him so much to do well for us. I used the term "a boy out of his depth" but I fully understand NLA's point above.

Sadly, I sat and watched the game again this morning and none of the team came out any better than I had initially thought from the stands.

In the context of Joe yesterday and my comment. I just think that Millwall's defenders were way too cute for him. Little nudges, easing him off the ball and just never letting him settle or have any time (their team actually did that to all our team all game - it's a trait we used perfectly in winning League 1 and we seem to have forgotten how to do it!). He was never going to get any change out of them yesterday.

NLA - you're quite right, he certainly wasn't alone and he certainly didn't hide. It'll come for him, he needs to get that upper body strength and he needs his teammates to turn up and help him going forward. I sincerely hope he will be a great gem for us in the coming years.
  • Options
    The abuse in the north upper was a disgrace. Some right c**ts up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A game like yesterday was a baptism of fire for Pigott yet Powell was left with little option.

As a talented cricketer Joe should remember that Graham Gooch made a pair on his test debut as a young player. His career didn't turn out too badly in the end and nor will Joe's.
  • Options
    Church
    Jackson
    Dervite
    Woods
    Wiggins
    Wilson
    Pritchard

How many mins on a pitch between them compared to joe

I never saw one of them show the balls piggott did to keep going and trying

People want him to be yann but he is a totally different player so are judging him on his ariel ability

You play to his feet like when he kept close control in the first half and got stopped on the second attempt

Seems that today the piggott stick is out

Powell picked the team the blame lies there

Sordell stropping about his loan from bolton stopped him starting we only have piggott and church left

I can understand a criticism of him not playing well but to judge him as out of depth is clueless and shows a lack of understanding football
  • Options

Church
    Jackson
    Dervite
    Woods
    Wiggins
    Wilson
    Pritchard

How many mins on a pitch between them compared to joe

I never saw one of them show the balls piggott did to keep going and trying

People want him to be yann but he is a totally different player so are judging him on his ariel ability

You play to his feet like when he kept close control in the first half and got stopped on the second attempt

Seems that today the piggott stick is out

Powell picked the team the blame lies there

Sordell stropping about his loan from bolton stopped him starting we only have piggott and church left

I can understand a criticism of him not playing well but to judge him as out of depth is clueless and shows a lack of understanding football

With respect no it doesn't.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    How old is Pigott? He is not ready at Championship level, shocking decision from Powell to leave him on the field for 70 minutes, reminded me of when Pardew played Waggy to early and that set him back a few years, hope the same doesn't happen to Joe
  • Options
    It does shg as its an easy label to say but not prove

Why was he out of his depth

So far someone has said he didnt win enough headers and was muscled of the ball

Yet no one can name one player who won their battles yesterday

Being out of depth needs explaining to me

As i never saw him hide i never saw him give up i never saw him shirk away from anything all things i would say indicate a player out of his depth and playing below his level which is what people mean

He was as good as every cafc player out there so were they not good enough and out of depth or just shit yesterday in a game where we refuse to accept shit as an excuse

• Options
    edited September 2013

As i never saw him hide i never saw him give up i never saw him shirk away from anything all things i would say indicate a player out of his depth and playing below his level which is what people mean

He was as good as every cafc player out there so were they not good enough and out of depth or just shit yesterday in a game where we refuse to accept shit as an excuse

Fair enough. I really do see what you are saying but think you might be misunderstanding what others including me are. Yesterday I don't think Joe had the experience required to cope with that game. A big local derby and lots of pressure. That only comes with time. Time he hasn't had. When it wasn't going for him he didn't have the skills required that come from experience to make it work apart from 100% effort which although commendable is not alone enough. He's not ready to lead the line yet and certainly not in the pressure atmosphere of a local derby. In that respect alone he was out of his depth. I fully expect him to go on a be a very good player for us but exposing him like he was yesterday will not help. I blame SCP for that.

• Options
    As a regular watcher of the U18s and U21s Joe Pigott is going to be a good player. But it is not his fault that he has been thrown into first team action into a struggling team. In the U18s he is used to a quick passing, ball on the floor game. He is not suited to the long ball game, where the ball is booted up to him to compete against a big centre half. I can't believe in the disparity in the way the game is played at U18 U21 level with the ball played on the floor and the players making themselves available to receive the ball. The first team play a game totally opposite to that. The lack of movement yesterday was obvious for all to see.
    Can we refrain from giving Joe some stick as he is a young lad learning his trade. He will be as dissappointed as anybody at the way it went for him.
  • Options

Fair enough. I really do see what you are saying but think you might be misunderstanding what others including me are. Yesterday I don't think Joe had the experience required to cope with that game. A big local derby and lots of pressure. That only comes with time. Time he hasn't had. When it wasn't going for him he didn't have the skills required that come from experience to make it work apart from 100% effort which although commendable is not alone enough. He's not ready to lead the line yet and certainly not in the pressure atmosphere of a local derby. In that respect alone he was out of his depth. I fully expect him to go on a be a very good player for us but exposing him like he was yesterday will not help. I blame SCP for that.

Pretty much what I was trying to say. We all want what's best for Joe and we all want him to succeed.
  • Options
    All this 'didn't hide' nonsense really doesn't count for much if you're not good enough.

I haven't seen anything from him in the games that he has played so far to suggest he has 'loads of potential'.

At least the likes of Ade Azeez or Tobi Sho Silva would inject some pace. Really not sure why Pigott has been promoted to the first team this season ahead of them.

He doesn't have a stand out trait or natural ability. Tell me exactly what he does? Even young players usually have something about them that they can add to a side.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

All this 'didn't hide' nonsense really doesn't count for much if you're not good enough.

I haven't seen anything from him in the games that he has played so far to suggest he has 'loads of potential'.

At least the likes of Ade Azeez or Tobi Sho Silva would inject some pace. Really not sure why Pigott has been promoted to the first team this season ahead of them.

He doesn't have a stand out trait or natural ability. Tell me exactly what he does? Even young players usually have something about them that they can add to a side.

He scores goals.