Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Pigott

Comments

• Options
    Like others, I don't think he is an out and out power house of a target man like Yann. His inexperience and rough handling meant defenders were always able to stop him getting on their wrong side or getting off the ground.

I like his effort and energy so just hope he can get the right training to learn the tricks of the trade to be a target man. If not, don't put him in the team until we have a midfield that can create space for a forward like him to attack and make a pass.

Can't personally crucify a young player who puts in as much effort as he did. If kick and hoof was Powell's tactic then Powell should have known Pigott wasn't going to do Yann's job. If their back four could have been pulled apart we would have seen a different Pigott I'm sure.

• Options
    He did as well as the other shit out there and his youth at least gives him a justified excuse for his performance.
  • Options
    Ken it was rumbled all week from what I heard and it was confirmed by 2 different posters on here Friday night and they give a heads up to the squad (not starting 11) quite often and it is always right

I think there may have been a bit of kidology on starting 11

Dippenhall

that is the most valid point on Joe Piggott on here and one that may go a long way to explain to all as to why it doesn't show a player out of depth just a player who is a young young pro who was exposed by mgr and players around him in a shameful way

I am sure that all involved sat will discuss and search inside to resolve it and work hard
  • Options
    Only seen Piggot once, at Hudds away in the cup and he looked ok. Give the lad time. We created very little so not sure how he can be judged. That said, I think it was a bad call of SCP to pick him in the starting line up, Sordell should have played. Once again we have loan players in who can't/don't make the starting line up?? Both Stewart and Sordell need to be given a run in the team and then if they're no good, show them the door.
  • Options
    Haven't read any other postings or threads - have been gutted all weekend. Would just like to say in Joe's defence that it was the lack of service that made him look bad. He needs supply along the ground - not hoof balls. He has the skill to play the ball on the ground. At the moment he hasn't got the muscle to jump with older, bulkier defenders who have years of experience in that situation. Thanks for listening! Back to the duldrums till Saturday.

P.S. I sit in the North Upper, I didn't abuse Joe or any of the team. I clapped them off like I always do. They knew how badly we did.
  • Options
    well said itchy arse
  • Options
    A youth player with less than 5 games to his name is getting criticism for his performance when he was kicked in the air from the first whistle and the whole team were lets face it, played off the park. He has done very well for us when called into the team before Saturday and I'm sure he'll do well for us again, lets not jump at the kid.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Mark Gower told me on Thursday that Kermy had only started light training that day & on that basis, he felt it was very unlikely that he'd feature on Saturday.

I didn't blab it on here for obvious reasons.

It made sense for Charlton to try and pretend Kermy would play & I certainly didn't want to give Millwall the heads up.

On that basis, I had plenty of time to consider who should play and 100% didn't think it should be Piggot.

I saw him against Oxford & didn't think he looked ready for a 1st team starting position, (although I was in the minority). A lot of the game seemed to pass him by & he looked "a bit lost".

I saw him come on at Watford & thought exactly the same. He's a big lad, but instead of extending himself to head a ball, he actually ducks when the ball is coming. Perhaps, it's because he's up against more powerful men & he doesn't want to get crunched from behind.

He also gets nudged off the ball a lot by more experienced men.

Yes, the only way to improve, is to continue playing, but I don't feel we have that luxury.

It's not his fault & I'm not criticising him. I'm just saying what I see.

Powell shouldn't have played him imo, but he didn't exactly have a lot of options did he ?

Sordell has looked less than interested & "appears" to be sulking & lacking confidence, because Bolton bombed him out, just before the start of the season.

When I saw the "11", I thought we'd lose. Probably, like most of us.

I think 2 wingers are a luxury we can't afford. So I don't think you can start with Harriot & Stewart, especially with wing backs.

I would have gone with :-

Hamer
    Morro, Dervite, Wood
    Cousins
    Wilson Pritchard Jackson Stewart Wiggins
    Church

Wilson & Wiggins as wing backs obviously.
  • Options
    Think it would be worth trying this with everyone fit.

.............................Hamer

...........Solly Morro..........Dervite.....Wiggins

............................Cousins

...............Stephens..........Jackson

Harriott............................................Stewart

..........................Kermorgant
  • Options

Think it would be worth trying this with everyone fit.

.............................Hamer

...........Solly Morro..........Dervite.....Wiggins

............................Cousins

...............Stephens..........Jackson

Harriott............................................Stewart

..........................Kermorgant

I would have 3 from cousins Jackson and Pritchard as two defensive midfielders with Stephens central in an attacking 3 with Stewart and Harriott.

I've said it before but the reason he isn't creative anymore because he s it's in back if the centre backs knocking side ways balls to the full/wing backs. Get him up the pitch playing in balls behind the defence for Stewart, harriott and kermo.

This team selection business is easy from behind a screen

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is Stephens by the way
  • Options
    Our best team includes Cort and excludes Stephens. That is what can be gleaned from last season's results when these have played.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

As a regular watcher of the U18s and U21s Joe Pigott is going to be a good player. But it is not his fault that he has been thrown into first team action into a struggling team. In the U18s he is used to a quick passing, ball on the floor game. He is not suited to the long ball game, where the ball is booted up to him to compete against a big centre half. I can't believe in the disparity in the way the game is played at U18 U21 level with the ball played on the floor and the players making themselves available to receive the ball. The first team play a game totally opposite to that. The lack of movement yesterday was obvious for all to see.
    Can we refrain from giving Joe some stick as he is a young lad learning his trade. He will be as dissappointed as anybody at the way it went for him.

Sums it up perfectly. Joe paid tribute to Nathan Jones, and how much he had learned from him.

• Options
    Sorry to say but he looked way out of his depth last night. Mistimes his headers and gets outmuscled far too easily.
    Needs to go out on loan to learn his trade.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I thought Joe looked remarkably composed when he came on last night after everything that could go wrong for him against Millwall did go wrong.

Competed well, tried hard and drew a good save out of Darlow during the melee towards the end of the game.

He'll only get better. Onwards and upwards for Joe.
  • Options

Sorry to say but he looked way out of his depth last night. Mistimes his headers and gets outmuscled far too easily.

wonderful, mis timed headers but was more composed with his feet than players above his years, he is not yann it is not his game to win those headers, the youngsters

harriott
    cousins

both know this and played it to his feet, where he held it up and had a good touch, he 3 of them combined on the floor, for a real good effort that resulted in joe forcing a good save from the keeper

• Options

wonderful, mis timed headers but was more composed with his feet than players above his years, he is not yann it is not his game to win those headers, the youngsters

harriott
    cousins

both know this and played it to his feet, where he held it up and had a good touch, he 3 of them combined on the floor, for a real good effort that resulted in joe forcing a good save from the keeper

Exactly. His positional play in the box was also very good, and would have got him a goal but for some excellent defensive play from Forest. He was getting a bit of stick from some kids behind me as soon as he came on, so I hope he knocks in a goal or two soon.
  • Options
    see this was the post I picking out when I posted on the solly and Piggott Q and A

its not needed why in the modern age do people focus so much on what a player cant do instead of what they can
  • Options
    I was so happy for Joe last night that he got a warm welcome from the crowd when he came on. I don't think he is going to become a star but he did pretty well in the time he had.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones had all his players including Joe playing to their strengths, no square pegs in round holes in his teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if we play football on the floor Piggott will shine, play it in the air and in the wrong areas he will look like poop
  • Options
    We've all worked out that Pigott cannot receive and hold up a ball when it comes at him in mid-air... When he gets it in feet he's very good, last night had three Forest players hounding, kept the ball and when support arrived managed to lay it off

Shame their keeper made a good save as it was a nice shot from him (that was going in)
  • Options
    For a big fella, he's got to win more headers and be stronger. He'll learn from this season. What with Church getting injured last night he might get more game time, or maybe Obika will be brought in.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:

For a big fella, he's got to win more headers and be stronger. He'll learn from this season. What with Church getting injured last night he might get more game time, or maybe Obika will be brought in.

Tall guys arent genuinely great at jumping... I'm 6.4ft (only slightly smaller than Crouch) and cant get off the ground that high (same as Crouch when you watch him jump)

On the other hand you look at Chris Solly or Chris Perry and they're excellent at heading the ball
  • Options
    I just think he'd do better on loan getting regular starts - needs more experience than 15 minutes a game.
  • Options

Gammysnr said:

Tall guys arent genuinely great at jumping... I'm 6.4ft (only slightly smaller than Crouch) and cant get off the ground that high (same as Crouch when you watch him jump)

On the other hand you look at Chris Solly or Chris Perry and they're excellent at heading the ball
    Basketball players seem to be able to jump ok? I think it's a case of him expecting to be hit from behind, needs to use his elbows and arms to stop that.

• Options
    None of our forwards won a single header last night, the important thing was we kept picking up the second ball from their defenders header. Would rather that, than seeing someone keep flicking it on to nobody.
  • Options

None of our forwards won a single header last night, the important thing was we kept picking up the second ball from their defenders header. Would rather that, than seeing someone keep flicking it on to nobody.

This

I remember Slavan Bilic telling his Croatia players not to worry about winning the headers with Crouch, just that they needed to ensure they won the second balls (which they won), we were the exact same last night
  • Options
    Before Joe came into the team I had no idea whether he was any good at jumping for long balls in the air, because he never had to do it in the under-18's or under-21's, which I watch regularly. I can see this weakness now, but it's only a major problem if we are committed to a long-ball game.
  • Options
    The Charlton cycle. Clamour for youngsters to be given a chance and then write them off if they don't score four.