Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Pigott

1235»

Comments

• Options
    and say their dire on another thread the lack of patience is astonishing

You can coach, the timing of jumps you can increase someones physical attributes

you can not teach some one the things Piggott can do with his feet and his ability to score time will tell but I believe in him
  • Options
    I've seen Pigott shooting in the warm-ups and he can certainly hit them

At the moment he's perfect for the 10-15min cameos at the end of matches when he gets the ball into feet he's shown more than once he can hold it up... I'd be worried to be honest if when the ball reached him it bounced off his foot but it doesnt, it sticks to him like glue

And am ignoring the Millwall performance in that review - Everyone had a poor game that day lets forget it
  • Options
    if church had hit the ball with the conviction joe did , last night and against millwall we would've won both games
  • Options
    Seems a bit Crouch-esq to me. Big lad who is better on the floor than in the air and not blessed with pace. Now how many England goals has Crouch scored? how many PL games played? What is his bank balance and what does his wife look like?

To write off a big lad because he is not winning headers (plus what is he 18?) Just shows a total lack of football intelligence tbh.

Concentrate on the positives, I have seen enough to suggest he will be a pro footballer just too early to tell at what level which is the same for 90% of youth players only just breaking through.
  • Options
    the likely hood is that our finances will dictate that sooner and maybe to soon these lads will have to play in the first team, if we end up at some stages this season

with

Fox
    Cousins
    Harriott
    Muldoon
    Piggott

playing due to injury or suspension I would not be surprised

and the one thing they will need is their fans standing behind them , what it will guarantee is that they know each others strengths and weaknesses and will play too them
  • Options
    How good is Muldoon... Is he ready himself to setup into the first team if so where abouts does he normally play?
  • Options
    He's a central midfielder. Although he's a year longer it seems Poyet is probably next in line.
  • Options
    Muldoon's only just come into the under-21's, he needs a season there to progress, we won't be seeing him this season. Poyet quite possibly.
  • Options
    Jamie Scowcroft, who was summarising on player seemed to rate him (Pigot). As he's an ex-pro, I think he's got a more informed opinion than most on here.
  • Options
    Pigott looked better than vs millwall last night. Still think he could do with a league one loan though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poyet is definitely the next one I'm looking forward to seeing - Hopefully we could get a Non-League side at home (like Halifax NOT like Northwich) where we can give the likes of Fox etc... a chance
  • Options

I've seen Pigott shooting in the warm-ups and he can certainly hit them

At the moment he's perfect for the 10-15min cameos at the end of matches when he gets the ball into feet he's shown more than once he can hold it up... I'd be worried to be honest if when the ball reached him it bounced off his foot but it doesnt, it sticks to him like glue

And am ignoring the Millwall performance in that review - Everyone had a poor game that day lets forget it

Agree completely. As great as it would be for him to go somewhere where he can get a solid 90 - we need him right now.

By introducing him slowly to the team we can build his confidence up again. I thought he looked quite decent when he came on yesterday, and when he got the ball at one point I found myself certain he was going to tuck it away: something I haven't felt since Fuller. I believe he's a very good finisher; he just needs confidence.

Based off of recent performances, and even last night, that's something a lot of our lads need. The best answer for that is game time and the fans getting behind them.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    Receiving the ball on the ground may well be his strength, but, if he really wants to make it, he will need to improve in the air. It doesn't seem to me that it is only about timing - he seems to withdraw his head into his shoulders at the crucial moment. Maybe this is a self-protection instinct ? Maybe he's watched Kermy getting his head bandaged and doesn't fancy it. It will be interesting to see what the coaches can do about it. Maybe its better for him to be at the club working on it rather than on loan playing full games.
  • Options
    Pico said:

Receiving the ball on the ground may well be his strength, but, if he really wants to make it, he will need to improve in the air. It doesn't seem to me that it is only about timing - he seems to withdraw his head into his shoulders at the crucial moment. Maybe this is a self-protection instinct ? Maybe he's watched Kermy getting his head bandaged and doesn't fancy it. It will be interesting to see what the coaches can do about it. Maybe its better for him to be at the club working on it rather than on loan playing full games.

Correct. I said this after the Watford game when he came on as sub. As the ball approaches he ducks, instead of extending his neck. He obviously doesn't like heading a ball or is worried about getting clattered from behind.

Probably a bit of both.
  • Options
    Very pleased to see him play so well last night. Nearly scored and many good touches. Looked much sharper than Church. Talented young fella with lots of confidence and belief to come back so strongly from Millwall disappointment.

Good do with a few meat pies, bit more aggression and some heading practice but its early days.
  • Options
    Ok refrained from commenting on here so far re Joe because as most of you will realise from my previous posts i have followed these academy players Pigott, Harriot, Cousins, Fox, Jordan, Muldoon, Poyet etc etc closely over the last 4 years...closely? well I have pretty much watched every game they have been involved in...ok I missed 1 !! So I feel somewhat reasonably informed - although only my opinion- to comment in this thread.

Joe Pigott play to his strengths i.e. ball to feet in the 18 yd box and he has an inbuilt 6th sense where the goal is a natural striker, outside of the box ball to feet he will hold it up and beat his defender more often than not. Play aerial long ball hoof-it-up-benty then JP isn't your man... at the moment, he will need to imporve aerially but trust me he isn't afraid

For what it's worth I thought it was an incredibly harsh move and poor management decision to give him a home starting appearance against Millsmall, especially the style of play we seem to be offering at the moment - aerial long ball, the 2 Millwall CB's had him sorted from the 1st minute and in his defence the ref could have awarded at least 3 free kicks for grief they gave him! I'm convinced had we played ball on the floor through the midfield he would have delivered a far better performance.

I've said it before and I will say it again, these youth team players are the future, this squad have previously played their last 4 years football against Premiership academies and more than held their own, in the final year pre Academy Category Status finishing 3rd against the likes of Arsenal Chelsea Spurs etc etc and some of those team's players are now enjoying 1st team football and last season we know what they achieved. It is my honest opinion they are more than ready for 1st team football...but is our 1st team willing to embrace the style of football they want to play?

• Options
    I'm no expert and nor can I claim to have watched Joe Pigott at U21 level or earlier in his career. However, I was very impressed by his performance against Oxford where I felt he showed awareness and made good decisions. Very encouraged, I concluded that he has the potential to be a very good player.

Given this, I've been taken aback by the strength of reaction to his disappointing performance against Millwall. I felt really sorry for him that afternoon and took the view that he was as much victim as villain. With the brutish Mark Beevers glued to his rear he spent the afternoon under aimless high balls that even Kermorgant, with all of his power and experience, might have struggled to do much with. I also felt the referee did him no favours; once Beevers realised that he could physically abuse Pigott without sanction he knew his afternoon was going to be a walk in the park. It's true that with his confidence shot Joe then made mistakes, but he always showed.

There was an incident against Forest which symbolised the impatience and unreasonable expectations of some fans. The ball was played up to Pigott just inside the Forest half. He turned to evade the two defenders in close attention and whilst he was in full flow a "fan" behind me screamed something uncomplementary, at which point Pigott broke free from his marker and played a nice ball wide right. A real piece of quality and, hopefully, a lesson in humility, though I'm not holding my breath.

Joe Pigott is no Ricardo Fuller and he may never reach that standard, but I'll be surprised, if, at a minimum, he doesn't make a decent Championship player. He's by no means the finished article, but in all probability he's already capable of making a contribution. The challenge will be to chose the right games and to get the right players around him. Footballers will play well with other Footballers, but we didn't have many of those against Millwall.
  • Options
    Sometimes the players who show most get more abuse than those who hide. A group of kids behind me were giving him stick as soon as he came on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm no expert and nor can I claim to have watched Joe Pigott at U21 level or earlier in his career. However, I was very impressed by his performance against Oxford where I felt he showed awareness and made good decisions. Very encouraged, I concluded that he has the potential to be a very good player.

Given this, I've been taken aback by the strength of reaction to his disappointing performance against Millwall. I felt really sorry for him that afternoon and took the view that he was as much victim as villain. With the brutish Mark Beevers glued to his rear he spent the afternoon under aimless high balls that even Kermorgant, with all of his power and experience, might have struggled to do much with. I also felt the referee did him no favours; once Beevers realised that he could physically abuse Pigott without sanction he knew his afternoon was going to be a walk in the park. It's true that with his confidence shot Joe then made mistakes, but he always showed.

There was an incident against Forest which symbolised the impatience and unreasonable expectations of some fans. The ball was played up to Pigott just inside the Forest half. He turned to evade the two defenders in close attention and whilst he was in full flow a "fan" behind me screamed something uncomplementary, at which point Pigott broke free from his marker and played a nice ball wide right. A real piece of quality and, hopefully, a lesson in humility, though I'm not holding my breath.

Joe Pigott is no Ricardo Fuller and he may never reach that standard, but I'll be surprised, if, at a minimum, he doesn't make a decent Championship player. He's by no means the finished article, but in all probability he's already capable of making a contribution. The challenge will be to chose the right games and to get the right players around him. Footballers will play well with other Footballers, but we didn't have many of those against Millwall.

Couldn't agree more. Anyone that saw his game against Oxford - his debut wasn't it? - will know something of how he plays and how effective he could be. He's featured in very few games at this level yet to me he's already making a positive contribution, Millwall apart where I agree entirely with your view of the game.

We can't build a side around Joe Piggott - not yet at least - but even so there's little point in playing him out of the game by pretending he's an old school target man. He isn't, his qualities lie in his link play, ability on the deck and goalscoring.
  • Options
    Think of your favourite strikers- how many of them spent their time leaping for long punts up the park?
  • Options
    Six goals and four assists already this season. I always thought the idea of him coming back was a bit of a joke but maybe we should be seeing how much he’d cost in January?
    I remember nathan jones singing his praises when he was u21 manager. Seems to me to be a confidence player as he was clearly bereft of it after being chucked in against millwall. Another victim of the duchatelet era.
  • Options
    Bit like Karlan Grant where he had setbacks, had a bit of a slow burner with his career but beginning to find the level he always showed a bit of promise at - Remember Nathan Jones calling him the best finisher he'd worked with
  • Options
    He’s done very well for Wimbledon and definitely kicked on having left us, but him and Grant you can’t compare imo. Grant is rapid and Pigott is woefully slow. I suspect he’s a solid league 1 level striker who won’t make the step up, but absolutely no shame in that. Good luck to him. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    He’s done very well for Wimbledon and definitely kicked on having left us, but him and Grant you can’t compare imo. Grant is rapid and Pigott is woefully slow. I suspect he’s a solid league 1 level striker who won’t make the step up, but absolutely no shame in that. Good luck to him. 
    Soz not comparing them as players... Just their career paths and how they showed promise at times for Charlton and had their careers start slow rather than explode on to the scene like what we saw with Lookman or Gomez
  • Options
    Just got better as he's got older and wiser