Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Powell Really Be Sacked?

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    we don't know if its the truth mate you are are right but it is probably the only real reason things have got so bad
  • Options

that's where i differ Vincent ,i don't think we're good enough to beat Forest tonight unless they are below par and we play to the max
    and obviously we'd like us to be playing to the best of our ability all the time but unfortunately the ones who are more likely to put in more consistant decent performances are out injured !

I am not to concerned about those out injured. Since CP has been here we have won and lost as a team. It is important that everyone chips in with a goal. At the moment there are not enough goals coming from midfield or enough chances being created for Church. We will miss Yann but are still capable of a comfortable win tonight.
    Now that I have said that it will be 1-0 to Forest with Reid scoring in the last minute

• Options
    Vincent said:

Because I hold a different view to you? Very adult of you.

Steve it is simple

When Charlton win it is down to Sir Chris Powell, great manager getting the most out of his players
    When Charlton lose it is Jimenez and Slater to blame. Lack of moral, contracts ending soon, lack of investment.
    Quite simple really
    I am probably acting like a 6 year old but one question I would like to ask SCP is, Chris if you are baffled by our losing so many games at home last season and are still baffled by our inability to beat our local rivals this season as a football manager might you be in the wrong profession.
    Plenty of people discuss Powell's tactics, team selection, timing and substitutions. That kind of debate happens here, even with Powell fans, and there are criticisms too, even from Powell fans. You are mistaken if you think it is as black and white as you describe.
    However apart from Pulis, Hart, Curbishley there have been no suggestions as to who could be doing a better job, no realistic suggestions in my view. What do you think should be done?

• Options

can I throw this one in, messrs slater and jiminez, tell powelly we have run out of money this is your budget.We end up relegated we have to accept it they tired to give it a go but it didn't work out.What does Powell do, being a god to us will he stay or leave.My only gripe with this board will be if they ARE asking too much for the club.I have no problem with them running out of money and not being able to back Powelly anymore because as with all things you can only spend what you have.They backed him to get us out of division 3, however they no longer can afford to finance the club,heyho thats life, if you have the money put it in.As I said my only gripe will be if they are trying to be too greedy and as yet we don't know if this is the truth.

I would think Steve, that the care and welfare of Charlton athletic's future files a very low down on their priority list.
  • Options
    that's not the question, Powelly is regarded as god by many on here, what would he do would he stay ? If somebody doesn't have the money they can't give him any to spend it's quite simple isn't it.Slag them off as much as you like it's not your money, if they have run out they have run out.
  • Options
    I think if they openly came out and stated their position he would stay, but at the minute he is the train buffer where all the stuff stops, so if they don't come out and position it then I expect him to leave
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Vincent said:

Steve it is simple

When Charlton win it is down to Sir Chris Powell, great manager getting the most out of his players
    When Charlton lose it is Jimenez and Slater to blame. Lack of moral, contracts ending soon, lack of investment.
    Quite simple really
    I am probably acting like a 6 year old but one question I would like to ask SCP is, Chris if you are baffled by our losing so many games at home last season and are still baffled by our inability to beat our local rivals this season as a football manager might you be in the wrong profession.
    Plenty of people discuss Powell's tactics, team selection, timing and substitutions. That kind of debate happens here, even with Powell fans, and there are criticisms too, even from Powell fans. You are mistaken if you think it is as black and white as you describe.
    However apart from Pulis, Hart, Curbishley there have been no suggestions as to who could be doing a better job, no realistic suggestions in my view. What do you think should be done?

Seth the above post was not my view but a summary of views I constantly read on here.
    I show my support for CP and the team at every home game. It is my view that our players do give 100% most of the time and that is all I want to see.
    My own opinion is that CP is not the right manager for Charlton at this time. We need a manager and team around him that can beg, steal and borrow the right sort of player for his team. Then go to the owner and play hard ball to get his man.
    Everyone spouts on that we have no money, but the owner is a multi millionaire, who has spent over a million pounds in legal fees this summer in his dispute with Dennis Wise.
    TJ does not see us getting promoted unless he puts in more money that he wants to risk to get us up. We need a manger that can show him that with good wheeling and dealing and some further investment this can be achieved.
    Terry Butcher would be my choice.

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Think a lot of people are missing the point..losing games is part and parcel of football its how you lose. If we played well created 10 to 12 chances then lost you would be happy with the performance to a point.
    But its the way we are playing that putting Powell under pressure. The board don't pick the team or tacics or tell the players how to play that is Powell.
    Our play is slow and boring , its very very negative and we only create about 2 chances a game and your not going to win games with that.
    At home when you need to impress your own fans and send them home happy , its mind numbing boring football.
    Sorry to say guys that is down to Powell, he picked Gower and Hughus at Bournmouth , he keeps playing pritchard wide right and plays our only creative mid player in front of back 3 /4.
    That is why Powell is under pressure, that is why there was a board meeting last Thursday to discuss his future, the crowd are voting with there feet becasue there fed up with the style of play we are seeing

Very good post, my feelings exactly.

• Options

that's not the question, Powelly is regarded as god by many on here, what would he do would he stay ? If somebody doesn't have the money they can't give him any to spend it's quite simple isn't it.Slag them off as much as you like it's not your money, if they have run out they have run out.

But they don't seem to be running the club as a going concern. It no longer has the feel that we are being run by a group who genuinely care about our future. Could you really see them saying that we're in the shit so we all need to stick together, back Powelly and do what's right for this football club? No. Because in their eyes it would weaken their hand in the selling stakes.If things are that bad then Powell can go with my best wishes.

• Options
    Vincent said:

seth plum said:

Vincent said:

Steve it is simple

Quite simple really

Seth the above post was not my view but a summary of views I constantly read on here.
    I show my support for CP and the team at every home game. It is my view that our players do give 100% most of the time and that is all I want to see.
    My own opinion is that CP is not the right manager for Charlton at this time. We need a manager and team around him that can beg, steal and borrow the right sort of player for his team. Then go to the owner and play hard ball to get his man.
    Everyone spouts on that we have no money, but the owner is a multi millionaire, who has spent over a million pounds in legal fees this summer in his dispute with Dennis Wise.
    TJ does not see us getting promoted unless he puts in more money that he wants to risk to get us up. We need a manger that can show him that with good wheeling and dealing and some further investment this can be achieved.
    Terry Butcher would be my choice.

just cos the owner dips his hand in his pocket to dig himself out of trouble in his personal life, does not mean he's gonna spend a penny more on us, especially when he's looking to sell!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think if they openly came out and stated their position he would stay, but at the minute he is the train buffer where all the stuff stops, so if they don't come out and position it then I expect him to leave

Indeed, nla. Wise words.

Vincent says "We need a manager & team around him that can beg, steal & borrow the right sort of player for his team .Then go to the owner & play hard ball to get his man " .....

Does he not realise that this is what SCP has been doing from the very first window that opened since he was appointed ? I'm sure it's been common knowledge that his list of "wanted" players has been looked at, some names dismissed as too expensive, others agreed to ....only to be told at the last minute that we can't afford them after all ! Is this a fair and proper way to treat a manager , or in fact anyone ? Have you ever heard rumours of SCP throwing his toys out of his pram at such cruel decisions ? No . That's not the gaffer's way but that doesn't mean he hasn't tried all possible means of communicating with our owners as to players he wants to strengthen the squad. The money has dried up and debts are accumulating week on week.

Simples.

• Options
    "colin1961 said:
    Think a lot of people are missing the point..losing games is part and parcel of football its how you lose. If we played well created 10 to 12 chances then lost you would be happy with the performance to a point.
    But its the way we are playing that putting Powell under pressure. The board don't pick the team or tactics or tell the players how to play that is Powell.
    Our play is slow and boring , its very very negative and we only create about 2 chances a game and your not going to win games with that.
    At home when you need to impress your own fans and send them home happy , its mind numbing boring football.
    Sorry to say guys that is down to Powell, he picked Gower and Hughus at Bournmouth , he keeps playing pritchard wide right and plays our only creative mid player in front of back 3 /4.
    That is why Powell is under pressure, that is why there was a board meeting last Thursday to discuss his future, the crowd are voting with there feet because they fed up with the style of play we are seeing."

I also fully agree with this excellent post.
  • Options
    dwb said:

"colin1961 said:
    But its the way we are playing that putting Powell under pressure. The board don't pick the team or tactics or tell the players how to play that is Powell.
    That is why Powell is under pressure, that is why there was a board meeting last Thursday to discuss his future, the crowd are voting with there feet because they fed up with the style of play we are seeing."

I also fully agree with this excellent post.

No, but they are responsible for providing players of the quality that can support how the manager wants the team to play. They did that at the start of the 2011/12 season, can anyone remember how that turned out again?

Someone said earlier that TJ won't put his hand in his pocket because he's looking to sell the club. This is probably true, but as one in the process of selling my house I can draw an analogy with spending the right amount of money to maximise its value on the market. It won't be at top value with a squad only good enough for relegation.

Is that true, incidentally, that there was a board meeting specifically to discuss Powell's future? Anyone else able to confirm that?
  • Options

Indeed, nla. Wise words.

Vincent says "We need a manager & team around him that can beg, steal & borrow the right sort of player for his team .Then go to the owner & play hard ball to get his man " .....

Does he not realise that this is what SCP has been doing from the very first window that opened since he was appointed ? I'm sure it's been common knowledge that his list of "wanted" players has been looked at, some names dismissed as too expensive, others agreed to ....only to be told at the last minute that we can't afford them after all ! Is this a fair and proper way to treat a manager , or in fact anyone ? Have you ever heard rumours of SCP throwing his toys out of his pram at such cruel decisions ? No . That's not the gaffer's way but that doesn't mean he hasn't tried all possible means of communicating with our owners as to players he wants to strengthen the squad. The money has dried up and debts are accumulating week on week.

Simples.

Fanny of course I know what CP has been doing over the past 2 and a half years. My point is that outside of the Premier you do not have to spend a lot of money to do well. Last season did Gillingham, Yeovil or Crystal Palace spend lots of money to get promotion, have Burnley, Orient or Chesterfield been spending bundles this summer or is it down to good old fashioned management.

Simples

• Options
    Powell is struggling with a very average squad and its hardly heresy to suggest a more experienced manager might be doing better. I would love to see him do well but remain unsure if he's the right man for the current job - I accept there aren't many who are.
    As others have said it's incredibly hard work to keep teams afloat on limited resources and it's also a question of how long do you give a manager?
    If CP were sacked it would be the saddest day of my time as a Charlton supporter as he's been my favourite player and seems a thoroughly decent guy but as a manager he's perhaps got a job that's too much for him.
    Not really looking forward to the next two games.......
  • Options
    unfortunately CP is managing in a train wreck of a club at the moment. This is not conducive to producing steady performances. I agree with Colin1961's post but there are influences off the field that will greatly affect this. Chris is between a rock and a hard place at the moment and something has to give. He must be beginning to wonder what he has got into here. The Board are culpable for the way they are handling this whole situation. It's called communication in all areas and they do seem to be failing miserably.
  • Options

that's where i differ Vincent ,i don't think we're good enough to beat Forest tonight unless they are below par and we play to the max
    and obviously we'd like us to be playing to the best of our ability all the time but unfortunately the ones who are more likely to put in more consistant decent performances are out injured !

I think we have a better squad than some people would like to admit to. I would like to see the same team go again on Saturday except for Yann over Church
  • Options
    Vincent said:

I think we have a better squad than some people would like to admit to. I would like to see the same team go again on Saturday except for Yann over Church
    Maybe we have a worse squad than some people would like to admit to?