Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Powell Really Be Sacked?

Comments

• Options
    then why not say that then without putting stuff in your posts that are not true like millwall and home performances

even under curbs I thought our home performances were not very good after about 2002 so you could say since 2002 we have had 2 or 3 seasons where our home form has been anywhere near good enough

footballs about opinions

I can see why people think he should be sacked if you were basing it solely on results

but I don't I look at the support given by the club to achieve results and that's my opinion but I wont make up rubbish to support it
  • Options

you cant post that mate Vincent saw someone on tv that said different

Thank G of that Millwall have a chairman that is willing to change his policy on spending when he appoints a new manager. Surprised he did not go for Bale with all the money they have spent
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Let's say, hypothetically, that Powell is sacked in the next few weeks. I'm not asking for your opinions on whether this would be a good move or a bad one. I'm interested in your realistic suggestions for a replacement; who would you like and who is available? Paul Hart? Steve Gritt? Tony Pulis? Gus Poyet? Paolo di Canio?

Thank fuck Jimenez has fallen out with Dennis Wise.

Lets hope that they are all happy to work for minimum wage and then the prospect of the sack as soon as new owners are found.

Can't see any queues forming in Floyd Road myself.
    And also come in to manage a squad which is almost entirely out of contract in a few months with no money to bring in re-enforcements.

Realistically what calibre of manager is going to be attracted to this job ? Think about the calibre that would think this is where they want to be and then really think about whether that, desperate, individual is really better qualified than Chris Powell.

If Powell had been given a decent budget, rather than having it reduced. If the players had been rewarded for a promotion and then a great first season in the Championship rather than having to live with the cloud of uncertainty over their head - maybe then I would accept that the results this year could form an argument for Powell to be sacked.
    Powell is working under the same restraints as most other football managers. I do not like his style of play and do not rate him as highly as a lot of people do but I do think based on us moving forward he is not good enough at the end of the season when our performances and results improve I will happily admit to being wrong as I am with lots of my opinions. This is just my view which is of no importance.
    Agreed Vincent.

Your opinion is of no importance ;0)

• Options
    still avoiding the questions you first ask

case rests mlud Vincent talks shite again
  • Options

still avoiding the questions you first ask

case rests mlud Vincent talks shite again

When I offer an opinion face to face they are never rude to me
    Just goes to show the pen is mightyier than the sword
  • Options
    at the moment though how many of those out of contract next summer deserve a new one? Not many in my opinion. It works both ways surely, they need to perform to earn that new contract and at the moment they are not doing so. Instead of feeling sorry for themselves they should start performing.

I feel though that most of our players are 'average' Championship players at best with maybe a couple of 'good' Championship players thrown in. Maybe the owners feel that if we can't agree terms next summer with those we do want to keep then there will be players around of equal ability around for us to replace them with.

They have been cute with Pope and Piggott. It looks good that we have given them 3 year deals but in reality they are low wages and the increase don't hurt us at all. With Solly it's been muted it's for medical reasons so we can get adequate compensation when he is forced to retire.
  • Options
    we can meet to discuss opinions on football whenever you wish Vincent and should you talk shite I will tell you and If I talk shite you can tell me no problem
  • Options
    I am in the Liberal club every home game and would look forward to meeting with you
  • Options
    so am I so it shouldn't be a prob I will be in there for forest at home,
  • Options
    gay
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincent said:

LuckyReds said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

I am not a powell out, but never say never, I notice that most of his supporters have dropped the SCP moniker, so faith is already weakening in those with blinkers. I never called for curbs to go, ridiculous thing to do, I would imagine none of the cp must stay brigade did either at any stage?

At the end of the day it is the managers job to get the team performing in any dysfunctional organization, he cannot, nor can his sycophants blame the board forever.

If you called for curbs to go, then that is part of the reason we are here, he was an unheralded success in the modern era and I never understood the calls for a change.

Reap and sow.

Surely you have the basic intelligence to grasp that, even if you disagree with it, still wanting Chris Powell as manager of the club is a legitimate view to hold and doesn't deserve to be derided as "blinkered" or "sycophantic". I wonder sometimes when people engage in debate when they don't seem to be able to grasp that others may have an opinion different to their own.
    Vincent said:

its not the spend in transfer its the wages

So you know the difference between the player wages for those that have left and the new comers please let me know just how much this difference is
    Vincent you're really undermining your own argument - Millwall quite clearly have spent more money than we in the last window - that's not an opinion but given the list produced by NLA compared with our own ins and outs would equate to a fact.
    You and NLA are stating facts of which neither or you have produced..
    One fact is the Millwall CEO was on the Footballers Football Show a couple of months ago and said that Millwall had no money to spend and who ever was to get the managers job would have to balance the book.
    So the long list of players produced by NLA, many of whom are established Championship players, are there for free ?

I'm not sure if you're expecting us to provide the actual contracts of the players signed by Millwall this season, unfortunately these are confidential but I think anyone who knows anything about football will be able to come to the (correct) conclusion that Millwall have spent more than us this summer. In fact I would guess (and this isn't a fact) that our wage bill has declined whilst theirs has risen.
    Millwall did some very good business during the summer and we CP I mean did not. There was no real investment by either club. We are in the same position re money than most clubs in this league and I feel that CP did not improve the squad in the same way as previous Managers like Curbs did who knew how to find quality players on the cheap
    CP thanks for trying goodbye
    Bradley Pritchard
    Yann Kermogant
    Ricardo Fuller
    Danny Haynes (?)
    Simon Church

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there were other freebies. But of course, CP can't find free or cheap players can he?

It's not like two of the players above that he sourced were the strike force that were now missing.

Nor is it like the other freebie striker has been sorely missed recently.

As for that cheap midfielder we picked up from non-league, he didn't get man of the match once or twice recently did he?

Thanks Lucky for helping me prove my point.

I am referring to this summer and Church is the only find
    So you are indeed acknowledging he can when he has the resources, as per previous years?

Here's a genuine question then, what would you like to have seen him done considering the lack of resources this summer?
  • Options
    anyway...

...i agree with what ohhahh said about sticking with him, even if relegated...and that isn't blinkered

i think we'll stay up tho... and finishing 20th or whatever would be ok

most of you remember all the 2nd tier seasons with curbs in the 90s... loads of hard times and bottom half finishes... but that turned out ok.

patience
  • Options
    Given the circumstances I actually think Chris Powell is doing a pretty good job. It would be some good news if tomorrow the board offered Chris Powell a new three year contract. That would certainly make me re-think my personal opinion of the board, and give me some hope for the future even if we got relegated.
    Yes I did mean it, give Chris Powell a new three year contract.
  • Options
    Lets say TJ and MS do sack SCP, then what established manager with Championship manager would want to come into a club the size of Charlton with no or very little money to spend?
  • Options
    I agree that this crappy Board are not supporting CP how they should be. He deserves better than that. I have a feeling that this will be a very interesting season in the annuls of Charlton Athletic. Who knows what is going to happen and Chris does seem to function better when he has his back to the wall. A win on Tuesday will have us all feeling a lot better. A loss - well, that's another story.
  • Options
    It is quite clear that the players wages budget is lower than last year. If you think that is Powell's choice you must be mad.
    The fact we couldn't afford Fuller's wages this year whereas last year we did should say something
  • Options
    nolly said:

gay

LOL it is the liberal club

• Options
    I would imagine there was a whole toolbox full of Spanners grunting for Lomas to be fired after the Derby game (just google Lomas must go)- now look at them. Too much knee jerking in football these days.

I have yet to see a serious name mentioned that we could afford to bring in, that could repair the morale shattering blow to the team if Powell was to go, that could work wonders with this pig's ear of a squad we have & directionless, passionless board we have steering us towards oblivion at the moment. For the stability of the club moving forward Powell is our only & in my book last hope....
  • Options
    Oakster said:

I would imagine there was a whole toolbox full of Spanners grunting for Lomas to be fired after the Derby game (just google Lomas must go)- now look at them. Too much knee jerking in football these days.

I have yet to see a serious name mentioned that we could afford to bring in, that could repair the morale shattering blow to the team if Powell was to go, that could work wonders with this pig's ear of a squad we have & directionless, passionless board we have steering us towards oblivion at the moment. For the stability of the club moving forward Powell is our only & in my book last hope....

great post

but wait for the

Warnock
    Pullis
    etc tripe

• Options

Oakster said:

great post

but wait for the

Warnock
    Pullis
    etc tripe

Agree NLA. Any manager coming in is on a hiding to nothing, the names mentioned above could walk into many Championship clubs - why on earth would they want to come here? Players with contracts running out all over the place, not a penny to spend & I would hope a pissed off fanbase to placate if CP was to go.

If the club could afford to sack Powell & his staff, employ a serious manager & give him funds to secure the future of the core of our team & to bring in his own players - why cant they just back Powell with some money to invest in building upon his own squad. The answer I guess is because there isn't any money anywhere.

Those (and its still a tiny but vocal minority) frothing at the mouth to sack Powell, should save themselves a lot of anguish, anger & stress and just concentrate on supporting him & the team until it is apparent that financially we can do better than him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013

Lets say TJ and MS do sack SCP, then what established manager with Championship manager would want to come into a club the size of Charlton with no or very little money to spend?

I am one of the apparent "blinded" who will back Chris no matter what basically, but I don't think that is true. Ultimately there are a lot of managers out there and not many open jobs, most merry-go-round managers would take the job in an instant I'm sure. Warnock went to Palace just before they went into admin did he not?

If any Championship job except maybe Yeovil came available, I'm pretty sure the likes of McClaren, Pearce etc would all apply.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I read a lot of posts on here but contribute rather infrequently. I only tend to do so when I read what I consider to be utter diatribe from people who show themselves to have no football nous, knowledge or understanding of how the game works.

I do not claim to have any answers but after spending a number of years in the game at different levels and having a clear understanding of the psychology of the game I feel I need to put my tuppence worth in.

Chris Powell came to us as a rookie manager.this was after his successful stint working under managers such as Nigel Pearson and Sven Goran Eriksson. Both eulogised about him and believed he would be a success as a manager. We took a chance on him and despite what I currently think if the people leading our club, this was a fantastic decision.

Four wins at the start of his tenure was followed by a disappointing end to his first season in charge. He knew at Dagenham and Redbridge that he needed to make changes to the squad, and in particularly create a mentality and ethos that permeated through the club.

He basically threw down the gauntlet to the owners and said back me and I will repay you. He did this. He signed a whole new squad and they ran away with the league. Now, I know we didn't play particularly expansive football but in reality we had to tough our way out of that league and we did so. (And by the way, Vincent, who on previous pages of this thread criticises Powell's scouting network, how did he get all these new players in?)

Of those signings I would say that 70% could be considered genuine successes. Last season was a slog at times, we had bad runs and we had good runs. We lost games we feel we should have won and won games we expected to lose.

Now we are struggling. Big time. The spirit that saw us through some tough times last year seems to have deserted us a little. The injuries we have are bound to play a part. We have a threadbare squad. Our players are unsure of their futures. Our management team are unsure of their futures. Our owners barely watch us or communicate with the fans.

And yet sacking Chris Powell would see an upturn in results and performance? Really? Based on what? A new manager will want new signings. We have no money. A new manager will want time. We do not have it.

Powell isn't the problem. Those above him are. Those who are so 'successful' in their own fields but clearly have no idea of the mechanics of running a successful sporting team. Who show neglect, disdain and downright contempt towards its employees at all levels is the way to run things. Show them who the bosses are. Take no crap from the minions. Rip the heart out of a club whose history and success is based on heart and guts and fighting spirit.

And now that same attitude is showing in the reactions of some fans.

Please don't tell me that Paul Hart or Keith Peacock are better bets for managing this group of players. Please don't band names such as Pulis or Pearce as realistic alternatives.

NLA is correct that we are currently seen as the Titanic of the football world by managers, players, coaches, scouts. We are heading towards a huge iceberg. Allow Powell the opportunity to play his part in ensuring we steer clear of it.

Plain sailing at Charlton? Never is. But we have the only man probably willing enough, big enough and supported enough to have a chance at getting it right.

• Options
    redman said:

So for 2 seasons he was great. not great for 7 games and people ask daft questions. How can anybody even think to ask these questions!
    CP - 100% support

hear hear

• Options
    The question at the top was "could Powell be sacked" - that's the one I answered.
    It seems to have diverted into "should powell be sacked?"
    Maybe the thread title should be changed?
    Scant respect being shown by either side to the opposing view.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Given the circumstances I actually think Chris Powell is doing a pretty good job. It would be some good news if tomorrow the board offered Chris Powell a new three year contract. That would certainly make me re-think my personal opinion of the board, and give me some hope for the future even if we got relegated.
    Yes I did mean it, give Chris Powell a new three year contract.

Have you been dropped on your head! He is not learning from his mistakes and the team is now constantly changing which makes it worse.
  • Options

I read a lot of posts on here but contribute rather infrequently. I only tend to do so when I read what I consider to be utter diatribe from people who show themselves to have no football nous, knowledge or understanding of how the game works.

I do not claim to have any answers but after spending a number of years in the game at different levels and having a clear understanding of the psychology of the game I feel I need to put my tuppence worth in.

Chris Powell came to us as a rookie manager.this was after his successful stint working under managers such as Nigel Pearson and Sven Goran Eriksson. Both eulogised about him and believed he would be a success as a manager. We took a chance on him and despite what I currently think if the people leading our club, this was a fantastic decision.

Four wins at the start of his tenure was followed by a disappointing end to his first season in charge. He knew at Dagenham and Redbridge that he needed to make changes to the squad, and in particularly create a mentality and ethos that permeated through the club.

He basically threw down the gauntlet to the owners and said back me and I will repay you. He did this. He signed a whole new squad and they ran away with the league. Now, I know we didn't play particularly expansive football but in reality we had to tough our way out of that league and we did so. (And by the way, Vincent, who on previous pages of this thread criticises Powell's scouting network, how did he get all these new players in?)

Of those signings I would say that 70% could be considered genuine successes. Last season was a slog at times, we had bad runs and we had good runs. We lost games we feel we should have won and won games we expected to lose.

Now we are struggling. Big time. The spirit that saw us through some tough times last year seems to have deserted us a little. The injuries we have are bound to play a part. We have a threadbare squad. Our players are unsure of their futures. Our management team are unsure of their futures. Our owners barely watch us or communicate with the fans.

And yet sacking Chris Powell would see an upturn in results and performance? Really? Based on what? A new manager will want new signings. We have no money. A new manager will want time. We do not have it.

Powell isn't the problem. Those above him are. Those who are so 'successful' in their own fields but clearly have no idea of the mechanics of running a successful sporting team. Who show neglect, disdain and downright contempt towards its employees at all levels is the way to run things. Show them who the bosses are. Take no crap from the minions. Rip the heart out of a club whose history and success is based on heart and guts and fighting spirit.

And now that same attitude is showing in the reactions of some fans.

Please don't tell me that Paul Hart or Keith Peacock are better bets for managing this group of players. Please don't band names such as Pulis or Pearce as realistic alternatives.

NLA is correct that we are currently seen as the Titanic of the football world by managers, players, coaches, scouts. We are heading towards a huge iceberg. Allow Powell the opportunity to play his part in ensuring we steer clear of it.

Plain sailing at Charlton? Never is. But we have the only man probably willing enough, big enough and supported enough to have a chance at getting it right.

An excellent post if I may say so.

• Options
    Come on, Andy. So you want him to stick with a losing team? Imagine the accusations of being stubborn, unable to adapt, having favourites etc etc etc if he did so.

He won't win with some on here who clearly know better. It is such an easy game from the stands or when watching the tele.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    SJH

ignore andy or his real name nick gray he is a renowned wum and clueless poster

thanks for backing me up over the views of cafc out side of football
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Oh, he's Nick Gray? Enough said...
  • Options

Come on, Andy. So you want him to stick with a losing team? Imagine the accusations of being stubborn, unable to adapt, having favourites etc etc etc if he did so.

He won't win with some on here who clearly know better. It is such an easy game from the stands or when watching the tele.

I know we are the best managers! I don't enjoy taking a pop - what I would have liked is some consistency from Bournemouth onwards - I know we've had injuries, but, it's now a mess in midfield - surely you agree?