Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Powell Really Be Sacked?

Regardless of any pressure Chris Powell is under, he will always have the backing of the majority of the fans and given he spent most of his playing career with us he has become a symbol of Charlton. Using two recent examples of outrageous sackings last season - Nigel Adkins and Brian McDermott, whilst they were unjustified and pissed off the fans they never were symbols of their clubs with established playing careers so I think that it has been a factor to eventually enable the fans to 'get over it'.

Were this to happen at Charlton I don't think it would be the case, knowing what our fans are like it would be almost non-stop chanting of "Jimenez your a c*nt" every game, and I don't care how strong willed a person you are, I don't think most people could take being called a c*nt week in, week out, this would also pretty much prevent him from bringing potential investors and/or his family to matches and I don't think it would just be the North stand, as I was told that when we lost to Swindon 4-2 people in the West were going up the directors box calling for Parky's blood, no doubt they would do the same to abuse Jimenez. I believe people would also go the extra mile to abuse him arriving and leaving matches, such is the love for Powell. At Southampton and Reading the fans never turned on the owners.

I think many of our fans would stop going in protest and I mean at least say a thousand, not just a few hundred, basically the main point is that I feel as though sacking Powell would make the owners lives (concerning football) a living hell and that there would be far too much fallout for them sacking Powell then almost any manager at any other club.

Comments

• Options
    A couple of observations.

People that run business's and football clubs have thicker skin than you seem to think, plus Jimenez & Slater often miss games so they probably will not hear the abuse.

You say a "thousand" people might boycott games if CP was sacked, looking at attendances I would say more than that are doing it now and that is based on the dross being served up on the pitch.

I love CP and really hopes it all works out for him but football is a results business and if he has to go then he has to go, no room for sentiment.
  • Options
    It is finding the right balance between making sure he is the right person / best person for the job and his status as a 'fans favourite'.

I am not going in to whether he is the best for the job - but I will say this. He isnt bigger than the club, and he isnt Charlton Athletic. If the time comes when he goes or walks, we should wait to see who comes in and what job they do first. For instance, we shouldn't be so blinded by man love for him that we lose focus of just how good a job (or not) he is doing.

For me, we have seen some good and bad....

- first half season. Did a worse job with Parky's Lidl team than Parky
    - First full season. Got the job done in a spectacular way. But the amount / standard of players he bought in, it could be argued that 'so he should have'.
    - Last year was the most impressive for me. As I said, the investment in the team in fees and wages the year before meant that promotion was a necessity. But we massively over achieved last year, and that for me was more impressive
    - So far this year, we have struggled. And question marks have been asked over CP in various tactical directions.

So really it is a mixed bag - the fact he is a playing legend should make no diference to whether or not he is the right man for the job.
  • Options
    Top post Damo
  • Options
    I deffo think that would be the case if Powelly was pushed. I also think many fans would sing "Slater you're a c***" Not jost at TJ. It would deffo lead to request for ST refunds. It would effect both our turn outs at home and and away.

Yes Powelly has made tactical mistakes as manager but one thing he is... He is a very good man manager and knows how to treat the players with the utmost respect. He will give them a roasting now and then when they need to be kept on their toes.

But you're right about the abuse TJ would get and that would come along side the abuse Slater would get.

I personally liked Parky and liked what he was trying to do at the club under difficult cercunstances. Obviously I was disapointed when he was sacked but I must admit I wasn't surprised in the slightest though. I still hold the utmost respect for him and I am really pleased to see him doing really well with Bradford and if he comes back to The Valley as opposing manager I for once would give him a good reception and applaud him.

However if Powelly was sacked I would be totally gutted. I think I would carry on going home and away as I'd find too hard not to.
  • Options
    a view into the near future
  • Options
    So for 2 seasons he was great. not great for 7 games and people ask daft questions. How can anybody even think to ask these questions!
    CP - 100% support
  • Options
    @redman of course he could be sacked, its not about what the fans want its about Jimminez and co and who knows if they would be ready to pull the plug if we lost the next three games.

The argument who would you replace him with is irrelevant because no one is advocating he goes, but there is a reality that these guys could pull the plug.

The same with a takeover, new owners may coem in with their own managerial agenda - Watford malkie Mackay - and replace Powell.

There is not 100% support for CP, ITV maybe full of mavericks but in addition to Reams there have been calls for his head for a while now, same on match days there are a few growing numbers who disagree with almost every bench decision.
  • Options
    I agree with Damo's excellent observations, from where I sit in the North Lower there is a fair but not excessive amount of dissatisfaction with how things are going - but not a lot of it aimed solely and specifically at CP, who is in credit with his performance so far, and especially on the budget he's had. If we keep losing, then maybe it will change, but very few rational fans are actively campaigning for Powell's head, and even a few sceptics/pessimists would only be really impressed if the hypothetical replacement had a good record and instant success. Let us just say that (for example) Di Canio would not be the standard of manager I would expect to win back good will from the fans.
  • Options
    Boring defensive football, too cautious - Floating fans do not want to watch dross hence the lower gates - so the outcome will be sacked very soon! Like the man though used to be my favourite player.
  • Options
    Without doubt CP could be sacked.It does'nt matter what a legend he is and the fact he loves our club.If results are not acheived soon then the board will become impatient and ruthless and will have no qualms about bringing in a replacement(as long as they don't want a huge salary I guess!).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where has all this come from?
  • Options

Where has all this come from?

Good question!
  • Options
    Can the banner now say 99% support as I've Just done a rough calculation of changed minds.
  • Options
    This is getting silly now, funs over doom brigade.

We lost to Millwall, just like we always do, now can we move onto the next game please.

We have a bottom 8 Championship side that punched above its weight last season. We have some top 8 players like Yann and Solly and Jacko, we have some bottom 8 players like most of the rest of them, and then we have some dross that shouldn't be near the matchday squad, *cough* Green.

When we get it right like Leicester we are good, when we get it wrong like Millwalll we are bad.

But all this sacking the manager stuff is just bollocks.
  • Options
    Have we ever seen such an over reaction to a defeat than this one.
    I really hope Chris doesn't read Charlton Life .

100%
  • Options
    Not sure anyone could do better job but Powell does need to improve in certain areas especially substitions he waits to long imo to change things.

Also sometimes I really wonder what attacking training we do at sparrows lane as we seem to have few ideas going forward.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

@redman of course he could be sacked, its not about what the fans want its about Jimminez and co and who knows if they would be ready to pull the plug if we lost the next three games.

They kept patience and belief in the manager after a disastrous start, funding him to completely rebuild the squad. A lot of our "supporters" were far more sceptical tbh.
  • Options

We lost to Millwall, just like we always do, now can we move onto the next game please.

We have a bottom 8 Championship side that punched above its weight last season. We have some top 8 players like Yann and Solly and Jacko, we have some bottom 8 players like most of the rest of them, and then we have some dross that shouldn't be near the matchday squad, *cough* Green.

When we get it right like Leicester we are good, when we get it wrong like Millwalll we are bad.

Great post
  • Options

Well said.

The sad thing is though that if those determined enough to force the issue keep putting it on the table, after a while it starts to become a consideration. Real shame, and one I genuinely believe is not reflective of 90% of fans.
  • Options
    Now is the time to get behind Chris Powell and the team not speculate over his future after 1-0 home defeat to a team we never beat.

Lawrie Wilson has come and out apologised on behalf of the players, now let's get on with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Now is the time to get behind Chris Powell and the team not speculate over his future after 1-0 home defeat to a team we never beat.

Lawrie Wilson has come and out apologised on behalf of the players, now let's get on with it.

This
  • Options
    FYI this debate is something I've always felt and is more about the arguement of the owners coming under relentless personal abuse which probably hasn't been seen at many other clubs due to a managerial sacking. Agree timing could be better but if the worst was to happen it would probably be around now, for the record I'm 100% Powell.
  • Options
    Firstly can we just have one thread for all this miserable crap. We lost, get over it.

As for the style of our footy, only issue is too many of you watch the PL on Sky and forget we may only be one div below but The Championship is miles behind in quality. It is the way it is, just enjoy the fact our players are still 100%'s.

Finally, putting a * in the middle of a word does not make it's use any better. Don't really need that on here IMO.
  • Options
    I always try and think of it from how a neutral would see it.

If there was a club, similar size to us, who had a manager who was a club legend and had taken them to a league title and a top half finish to then be sacked after a slightly struggled start to a new season.....well, i would think they were raving mad to be honest. I would also expect them to absolutely plummet way lower than the position they were in at the time of moving him on.
  • Options

Brilliant post.
  • Options

Love that.

But yes, he could be sacked.

I don't imagine the owners care that we lost to Millwall any more than any other team. What will matter is the lost revenue, lower crowd and whatever Powell says to them next.

Singing about the Directors will make no difference for 2 reasons. The noise will be too quiet to hear around the ground and the Directors may not be there - they are not Charlton fans, they are poor, yet wealthy, business men.
  • Options

• Options
    Well said Southend.

Once again, I am left wondering who exactly the 'Powell out' brigade think could be brought in as a replacement given that they would have to work for about 25 pence a week, as well as fitting the job description of 'miracle worker'. Maybe some people need to wake up and realise that Powell has been performing miracles for the last season or so given the resources that he has had at his disposal. Be careful what you wish for - replacing Curbs with Dowie worked out well, for instance, didn't it?
  • Options

Well said Southend.

Once again, I am left wondering who exactly the 'Powell out' brigade think could be brought in as a replacement given that they would have to work for about 25 pence a week, as well as fitting the job description of 'miracle worker'. Maybe some people need to wake up and realise that Powell has been performing miracles for the last season or so given the resources that he has had at his disposal. Be careful what you wish for - replacing Curbs with Dowie worked out well, for instance, didn't it?

Very well said, Bigs.
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm still pissing myself over the Di Matteo suggestion!