Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Powell Really Be Sacked?

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:

"those with blinkers", ""sycophants" - very objective words to use for those you disagree with.

*note to self: file in the ever-growing "ignore" box

they signed 13 players in 2013

including loans

Waghorn (Leicester)
    Derry (QPR)
    Marshall (villa)
    Connolly
    Barrett
    McDonald (boro)
    bailey (boro)
    Chaplow (sthampton)
    Martin (Ipswich)
    Easter (palace)
    Bywater (sheff wed)
    safia
    gerrar

They released 9 bar 2 of that 9 they are at league 1 or worse

so you do the maths if you think for one minute that any of those above were on lge 1 or 2 or conf wages then you do not know football

No need those on loan my have part of their salary paid for by their parent club so there is no way of knowing but this does not represent massive investment just good scouting which Powell failed to do
  • Options
    Millwall have a very rich owner who has backed his new manager it is a fact any millwall fan will tell you that, its not about good scouting, I would bet my house that Powell would have taken

chaplow
    bailey
    McDonald
    Derry
    waghorn

at the drop of a hat but was not supported, why do you think the players we have running out of contract in less than a season are in that situation

its a money saving action,

if we had money they would have got the offers, if powell was supported we would've had more players in

we are in our second season in the champ with he majority of squad that won lge 1

name one other club that would've done that

its easy to blame powell and the buck stops for performances with him that's the way it is

is it the reason we are in the shit no the reason we are in the shit is because we have a mug chairman and ownwer who don't have a pot to piss in between them and one has borrowed money to the extent that he needs to get 40 mil for a club worth about 10 mil tops

sacking powell is one answer the next man wont get it any better because they wont have the money to do so

so why sack one and pay them off and get another one in when we need money on the squad he has proven if you support he achieves
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Take SCP out of the equation (because I can clearly see people have issues with the pure unadulterated love the likes of me and a few others have for this Charlton legend) and imagine we had replaced Parky with Sean O'Driscoll or Eddie Howe for example

if whoever it was came in and initially struggled but then with some more than decent backing from the board then took us up as Champions from League One with a record 101 points

and followed that season up with the odd loanee here and there and the monumental signing of Lawrie Wilson and the bizarre in (and out) of David Button, yet still managed to spoil our wanky deluded fans with a more than respectable 9th place finish

and then the following season with little backing and an unsettled squad (that are clearly twitchy with their contract situation) and the odd injury to major players found us struggling after 8 games

i personally would say that eddie howe , sean o'driscoll , terry fuckwit or whoever was managing us should be allowed to have until november the following season even if relegated to see whether they could once again get us on an upwardly mobile projection ... why , well because they done it before and have earnt the right to be given more than a decent crack of the whip

• Options
    I hope powell goes oohah I really do

he has earnt the right to be supported and he should go and better himself
  • Options
    On successors, let's see who becomes available! Clough, Poyet, Freedman (and Lennie!) etc.
    On Powell shelf life - as many say it's a results business - next two games will be interesting on and off the pitch
    On the direction of the club and the merits of investing in Powell NOW vs the merits of investing in a change:
    1) I am no football expert but the reality is we don't see any investment now so it is up to Powell
    2) The club is in the shop window so it had better be clean either way - fact is that the table doesn't lie and the asking price has to drop the longer this goes on especially if the owners have no appetite to buy their way out of trouble
    3) I won't comment on a number of other angles - perhaps the Supporters Trust needs to say something but that is a matter for the whole board not just myself or any of the others who post on here.

As ever, secure your harnesses because the rollercoaster is about to start!

As Tutt Tutt states Forest are beatable but not sure we will... and by Saturday night the board could be looking at a 45-50% chance of relegation - that's a long way from the 15% chance we played with last season at different times.
  • Options
    Forget Clough, Poyet et al. I sincerely hope usual 'manager-out' suspects don't get their wish because this is more like the calibre of manager we'd be in for:

• Options

I'm begining to agree with you to be honest.

If the rumours of his relationship with TJ are to be believed then I don't think anyone deserves that kind of work relationship, let alone such a loyal servant to the club.

He has never deceived nor made any promises to the fans, in contrast, he has been open about our luck last season - and how we "overachieved".

He's shown a passion and emotion that is very rare in a manager, he genuinely strikes me as someone who will have sleepless nights over his work. Let's not forget the tears at Carlisle in 2012.

Yeah, results aren't coming our way - and tactics aren't dominating play. Let's face it, everytime we've called for earlier substitutions or different styles of play - he's delivered. They are not the actions of a stubborn or overly confident man; but they are the actions of a man genuinely trying to progress and work his way out of a situation.

He took his first objective quicker than expected, and in a record breaking fashion - the season he gave us all in League One was brilliant. The valley became a fortress once more and we were feared on the road; all in his first season as manager.

Afterwards, situations out of his control, conspired so that we couldn't invest - nor could we secure prior investments. So not only was there no improvement to the squad, there was actualy decline in the squad - where morale is considered at least. This occurring in already difficult time of transition up the leagues.

To have steered the ship in an upward trajectory, whilst dealing with unfavourable relationships which should be supportive, shows strength of character and genuine passion for this club - something which I fear a large section of our support is underestimating.

As everyone else has agreed that they would support Solly, Harriott or others if they moved away from the club, I would support Powell and wish him the best. He deserves it.

He's not flawless and he's not perfect. Find me a manager who is and I will give you someone who's biased and a manager out of our price range, as well as a manager who would expect more than we can provide.

To those who say we can't wait forever for a change, an improvement, no - we can't. Neither can Powell though, his career is on the line when its only just began.

I support Chris Powell 100%.
  • Options
    Just reread that and it's full of typos, sorry - I'm posting from my phone.
  • Options
    100% CORRECT AND A GREAT POST
  • Options

I am not a powell out, but never say never, I notice that most of his supporters have dropped the SCP moniker, so faith is already weakening in those with blinkers. I never called for curbs to go, ridiculous thing to do, I would imagine none of the cp must stay brigade did either at any stage?

At the end of the day it is the managers job to get the team performing in any dysfunctional organization, he cannot, nor can his sycophants blame the board forever.

If you called for curbs to go, then that is part of the reason we are here, he was an unheralded success in the modern era and I never understood the calls for a change.

Reap and sow.

Surely you have the basic intelligence to grasp that, even if you disagree with it, still wanting Chris Powell as manager of the club is a legitimate view to hold and doesn't deserve to be derided as "blinkered" or "sycophantic". I wonder sometimes when people engage in debate when they don't seem to be able to grasp that others may have an opinion different to their own.
    Vincent said:

its not the spend in transfer its the wages

So you know the difference between the player wages for those that have left and the new comers please let me know just how much this difference is
    Vincent you're really undermining your own argument - Millwall quite clearly have spent more money than we in the last window - that's not an opinion but given the list produced by NLA compared with our own ins and outs would equate to a fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're forgetting with the amount he spent anyone could have got us out of that league with their eyes shut

we weren't that good we got lucky most matches, anyone can get 101 points with luck

last season we were useless, we only finished 9th because we had a couple of lucky wins at the end of the season

Powell has chosen to let all the players go and not replace them with quality so the blame is at his door.

Etc

(sad thing is some clowns actually seem to believe the above)

• Options

100% CORRECT AND A GREAT POST

100% agree
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I am not a powell out, but never say never, I notice that most of his supporters have dropped the SCP moniker, so faith is already weakening in those with blinkers. I never called for curbs to go, ridiculous thing to do, I would imagine none of the cp must stay brigade did either at any stage?

At the end of the day it is the managers job to get the team performing in any dysfunctional organization, he cannot, nor can his sycophants blame the board forever.

If you called for curbs to go, then that is part of the reason we are here, he was an unheralded success in the modern era and I never understood the calls for a change.

Reap and sow.

Surely you have the basic intelligence to grasp that, even if you disagree with it, still wanting Chris Powell as manager of the club is a legitimate view to hold and doesn't deserve to be derided as "blinkered" or "sycophantic". I wonder sometimes when people engage in debate when they don't seem to be able to grasp that others may have an opinion different to their own.
    Vincent said:

So you know the difference between the player wages for those that have left and the new comers please let me know just how much this difference is
    Vincent you're really undermining your own argument - Millwall quite clearly have spent more money than we in the last window - that's not an opinion but given the list produced by NLA compared with our own ins and outs would equate to a fact.
    You and NLA are stating facts of which neither or you have produced..
    One fact is the Millwall CEO was on the Footballers Football Show a couple of months ago and said that Millwall had no money to spend and who ever was to get the managers job would have to balance the book.
  • Options
    You may think this is mad but as suggestions for managers go, what about Nathan Jones?

All the u21 players always said how he influenced them and injected passion etc into their game and really got them going.
    Also a lot of people have said the football he has his teams playing is really good.
  • Options

He deserves better than us and some of our mingey deserting support
  • Options
    But I don't want him to go !
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Reap and sow.

Vincent said:

One fact is the Millwall CEO was on the Footballers Football Show a couple of months ago and said that Millwall had no money to spend and who ever was to get the managers job would have to balance the book.
    So the long list of players produced by NLA, many of whom are established Championship players, are there for free ?

I'm not sure if you're expecting us to provide the actual contracts of the players signed by Millwall this season, unfortunately these are confidential but I think anyone who knows anything about football will be able to come to the (correct) conclusion that Millwall have spent more than us this summer. In fact I would guess (and this isn't a fact) that our wage bill has declined whilst theirs has risen.
  • Options
    how have I not produced you facts

are you telling me 100% straight up that the players millwall release 9 of them , and remember 7 of the 9 are now at lower league clubs inc lge 2 and conference were on more money and worth more than the 13 they bought in

I will try and find the total wage bill of millwall 2012/2013 in comparison to 2013/2014

but it will not take a rocket scientist to prove I am correct

we on the other hand bought in 7 players including 1 for our development squad and 2 on loan and we released 15

including

wags
    BWP
    Taylor
    Button
    Fuller
    Sullivan
    Haynes

now if you think that the 7 plyers we bought in

Gower
    Alnwick
    Stewart
    church
    wood
    Sordell
    Daniel (development)

covered the wages saved on the 15 then you are wrong again

I have no problem with people giving the case for powell to go

but to quote poor home record when the last 3 were shite at home imo, and then saying millwall spent no money it has holes in your theory

post truths and thought out opinion and no one will criticise it , I haven't seen anyone say clems wa swrong most think its a balanced reason for powell going
  • Options

Let's say, hypothetically, that Powell is sacked in the next few weeks. I'm not asking for your opinions on whether this would be a good move or a bad one. I'm interested in your realistic suggestions for a replacement; who would you like and who is available? Paul Hart? Steve Gritt? Tony Pulis? Gus Poyet? Paolo di Canio?

Thank fuck Jimenez has fallen out with Dennis Wise.

Lets hope that they are all happy to work for minimum wage and then the prospect of the sack as soon as new owners are found.

Can't see any queues forming in Floyd Road myself.
  • Options
    nor will you its well known that CAFC are in the mire because of our owners it has been stated on here this week that the FA are investigating some of the things an ex employee may have,

what person in their right mind would work for someone who treats their squad and mgr in that manor

TJ/MS are bullshitters of the highest order

the balls are falling that they have in the air , sooner rather than later the truth will out and it will take a good manager a long time to get it fixed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Reap and sow.

Vincent said:

So the long list of players produced by NLA, many of whom are established Championship players, are there for free ?

I'm not sure if you're expecting us to provide the actual contracts of the players signed by Millwall this season, unfortunately these are confidential but I think anyone who knows anything about football will be able to come to the (correct) conclusion that Millwall have spent more than us this summer. In fact I would guess (and this isn't a fact) that our wage bill has declined whilst theirs has risen.
    Millwall did some very good business during the summer and we CP I mean did not. There was no real investment by either club. We are in the same position re money than most clubs in this league and I feel that CP did not improve the squad in the same way as previous Managers like Curbs did who knew how to find quality players on the cheap
    CP thanks for trying goodbye
  • Options

Let's say, hypothetically, that Powell is sacked in the next few weeks. I'm not asking for your opinions on whether this would be a good move or a bad one. I'm interested in your realistic suggestions for a replacement; who would you like and who is available? Paul Hart? Steve Gritt? Tony Pulis? Gus Poyet? Paolo di Canio?

Lets hope that they are all happy to work for minimum wage and then the prospect of the sack as soon as new owners are found.

And also come in to manage a squad which is almost entirely out of contract in a few months with no money to bring in re-enforcements.

Realistically what calibre of manager is going to be attracted to this job ? Think about the calibre that would think this is where they want to be and then really think about whether that, desperate, individual is really better qualified than Chris Powell.

If Powell had been given a decent budget, rather than having it reduced. If the players had been rewarded for a promotion and then a great first season in the Championship rather than having to live with the cloud of uncertainty over their head - maybe then I would accept that the results this year could form an argument for Powell to be sacked.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Reap and sow.

Vincent said:

Millwall did some very good business during the summer and we CP I mean did not. There was no real investment by either club. We are in the same position re money than most clubs in this league and I feel that CP did not improve the squad in the same way as previous Managers like Curbs did who knew how to find quality players on the cheap
    Bradley Pritchard
    Yann Kermogant
    Ricardo Fuller
    Danny Haynes (?)
    Simon Church

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there were other freebies. But of course, CP can't find free or cheap players can he?

It's not like two of the players above that he sourced were the strike force that were now missing.

Nor is it like the other freebie striker has been sorely missed recently.

As for that cheap midfielder we picked up from non-league, he didn't get man of the match once or twice recently did he?

• Options
    I love the way when you cant answer the questions that you first posted that you say Curbs could've

curbs would've walked away from TJ and MS way before powell ever would've he proved that at westham

I love the way that people revert back to what curbs would've done yet the min curbs was lied to and treated poorly by an owner he walked away

that's why Powell should but he is more of a man for hanging in there
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Reap and sow.

Vincent said:

Bradley Pritchard
    Yann Kermogant
    Ricardo Fuller
    Danny Haynes (?)
    Simon Church

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there were other freebies. But of course, CP can't find free or cheap players can he?

It's not like two of the players above that he sourced were the strike force that were now missing.

Nor is it like the other freebie striker has been sorely missed recently.

As for that cheap midfielder we picked up from non-league, he didn't get man of the match once or twice recently did he?

Thanks Lucky for helping me prove my point.

I am referring to this summer and Church is the only find
  • Options
    you are not proving your point are you on the contrary you are proving when allowed he can find cheap options when not allowed he cant

• Options
    but then I expect you to tell me what curbs would've done as a an answer to your points as so far you have been proven wrong on all of them
  • Options
    CHAIRMAN John Berylson has warned that Millwall's summer spending could be a one-off if attendances at The Den do not improve this season.
    Berylson has backed new manager Steve Lomas by allowing him to bring in six new players ahead of Saturday's big kick-off against Yeovil Town.
    But the American says future investment in the squad will now be dictated by Financial Fair Play, a UEFA regulation that forces clubs to cut their losses - or face disciplinary action.
    In the Championship, sides losing more than £4million a year leave themselves open to heavy fines or a transfer embargo, and so increasing matchday revenue is essential.
    In the short-term, however, Berylson is happy for Lomas to keep spending.
    "In terms of his budget, Steve has a number and he's a little bit above that number, but I'm feeling quite opportunistic about transfers," Berylson said.
    "He can always crawl his way back to the number by getting some players out, but first I want to get our team finalised. There's pressure on Steve to get people out who he's not going to play - but not to trim the budget for the sake of it.
    "We ought not have people sitting around doing nothing. That's not what we need or want. But there are no rules - we'll do what we have to do and clean the mess up later. In the meantime we're happy to make a bit of mess."
    But Berylson is becoming increasingly wary of FFP and insists crowds will need to rise if the budget is to be kept at its current level.
    "I've got FFP staring me right in the face because I've raised the budget again," he said.
    "The truth of the matter is, if the fans don't come through for us the team will never be able to make a sustained effort at this level.
    "I did my bit last year as well - maybe the fans did not realise that then, but when the accounts are released they will do. We went over our expected budget by about 15%. I hope the fans come to games because it's critical now - next year FFP kicks in much harder.
    "If a majority continue to listen to games on the radio, we won't be able to have this team.
    "That's not a threat - it's a fact. People think it's a threat every time I say it, but I've done the numbers. We need five-figure attendances every game and a lot of 15,000s.
    "For a game like Barnsley, we really need 10,000 fans to show up. There was room to increase the budget but now I've sort of hit the ceiling. I can't go up any more because I have to worry about the consequences.
    "If we can add an extra 2,000 to the gate each week, over the course of the season that will add about £1million to the budget - and that goes a long, long way. Every pound counts."
  • Options
    you cant post that mate Vincent saw someone on tv that said different
  • Options
    se9addick said:

And also come in to manage a squad which is almost entirely out of contract in a few months with no money to bring in re-enforcements.

Realistically what calibre of manager is going to be attracted to this job ? Think about the calibre that would think this is where they want to be and then really think about whether that, desperate, individual is really better qualified than Chris Powell.

If Powell had been given a decent budget, rather than having it reduced. If the players had been rewarded for a promotion and then a great first season in the Championship rather than having to live with the cloud of uncertainty over their head - maybe then I would accept that the results this year could form an argument for Powell to be sacked.
    Powell is working under the same restraints as most other football managers. I do not like his style of play and do not rate him as highly as a lot of people do but I do think based on us moving forward he is not good enough at the end of the season when our performances and results improve I will happily admit to being wrong as I am with lots of my opinions. This is just my view which is of no importance.