Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Powell Really Be Sacked?

Comments

• Options

Oh, he's Nick Gray? Enough said...

Who is Nick Gray by the way?
  • Options
    Consistency in what? Formation? Results? Style of play? Football is inconsistent for all teams,particularly at this level. Look at last season's table at this stage. Borough and Blackburn near the top. Look where they ended up. This run of games does not make him a bad manager, just as him winning three on the bounce does not make him a great manager. A manager has so many things to manage, not just on the playing side and we have to look beyond Powell for why we are in this state.
  • Options

Consistency in what? Formation? Results? Style of play? Football is inconsistent for all teams,particularly at this level. Look at last season's table at this stage. Borough and Blackburn near the top. Look where they ended up. This run of games does not make him a bad manager, just as him winning three on the bounce does not make him a great manager. A manager has so many things to manage, not just on the playing side and we have to look beyond Powell for why we are in this state.

Thoroughly agree with the last bit. What I'm looking for is selection consistency,based on form. Wiggins should be rested and Cousins should have played more - I feel the pack is bring shuffled too much and it's confusing the players week to week
  • Options
    You want consistency in team selection then say Wiggins should be rested? So Evina comes in and has two awful games. Stick with him or revert back to Wiggins...who now thinks you have lost some faith in him?
    You get consistency by playing people who you trust to come good, even if they're not at their best.
  • Options
    Don't want powell sacked. I just wish the player's would back him like the fans do and they can prove that by bucking their Ideas up and trying harder. I don't expect them to be contending for the title or the play offs but I do expect them to all give their all not just two or three of them a game.

I also wish the board would back powell to strengthen the team. We need decent loans, only because that's our only option now unless there are decent frees out there. If they don't then the future doesn't look bright. They are starting to let him renew contracts which is positive but we need a new spark in the team
  • Options

Could you please name all those players that are not good enough to play for Charlton at this level.
  • Options

You want consistency in team selection then say Wiggins should be rested? So Evina comes in and has two awful games. Stick with him or revert back to Wiggins...who now thinks you have lost some faith in him?
    You get consistency by playing people who you trust to come good, even if they're not at their best.

The consistency should have come from week 1. The midfield has been a mess and Evina should have been selected weeks ago - this would have helped Wiggins, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Could you please name all those players that are not good enough to play for Charlton at this level.
    Sorry, I really don't understand the relevance of the question in relation to my post.
  • Options
    I have read it all now Evina in fixes every thing
  • Options

Vincent said:

Sorry, I really don't understand the relevance of the question in relation to my post.
    You must feel that CP is doing a good job but the board have given him a poor team to work with so who in the side is not good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So you would have stuck with the team that lost to Bournemouth for a number of weeks after? Really? Would you not have called for changes if we lost the games that followed it?
  • Options
    theres no depth in the squad theres no cover
  • Options

So you would have stuck with the team that lost to Bournemouth for a number of weeks after? Really? Would you not have called for changes if we lost the games that followed it?

Simple question if Powell is a good manager who is he playing that is not good enough to get better results than we have had so far please answer
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

You must feel that CP is doing a good job but the board have given him a poor team to work with so who in the side is not good enough
    Not at all. They have given him a squad lacking in depth. So the loss at various points of Solly, Pritchard, Cort, Jackson and Kermorgant has hit us hard. For example, the player we have closest to Kermorgant in size and approach is Pigott. This would have tested a manager with twice the experience of Powell. Look at the job Freedman is doing at the moment. Is he a bad manager or going through a rough patch?
  • Options

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Not at all. They have given him a squad lacking in depth. So the loss at various points of Solly, Pritchard, Cort, Jackson and Kermorgant has hit us hard. For example, the player we have closest to Kermorgant in size and approach is Pigott. This would have tested a manager with twice the experience of Powell. Look at the job Freedman is doing at the moment. Is he a bad manager or going through a rough patch?
    You still do not answer the question, Sordell and Church up front when Yann is out. Cover for All the others as you know, so Piggot apart which of the players which have played in the league this season are not good enough, which would explain our poor start to the season
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent ... people thought you were gaming them when you first arrived with your naiive whats wrong with the board question... you thanked me for my answer then - when I proceeded to list a number of contradictions and unsubstantiated rumours which appeared on this site over the last 18 months...the funniest was the critique of the failed Villa bid for Stephens followed a few months later by why didn't we take the money! Any money
    But like football managers, club owners have a role to play...
    So I could construct a balanced answer BUT it is NOT my role to construct a case for the board...Instead I have written a piece to publish on the Trust site which MIGHT start a new discussion...and someone else has written a piece on the reality of Financial Fair Play...
    Now I could also post a load of unsubstantiated rumours and gossip but thats what they are so they dont go out in my name nor the Trusts...
    Perhaps over the course of this season we get to the bottom of what is going on - through events and statements...a word of caution though - its going to be a bumpy ride!

• Options
    woods
    dervite
    evina
    cort
    Wilson

imo
  • Options

I read a lot of posts on here but contribute rather infrequently. I only tend to do so when I read what I consider to be utter diatribe from people who show themselves to have no football nous, knowledge or understanding of how the game works.

I do not claim to have any answers but after spending a number of years in the game at different levels and having a clear understanding of the psychology of the game I feel I need to put my tuppence worth in.

Chris Powell came to us as a rookie manager.this was after his successful stint working under managers such as Nigel Pearson and Sven Goran Eriksson. Both eulogised about him and believed he would be a success as a manager. We took a chance on him and despite what I currently think if the people leading our club, this was a fantastic decision.

Four wins at the start of his tenure was followed by a disappointing end to his first season in charge. He knew at Dagenham and Redbridge that he needed to make changes to the squad, and in particularly create a mentality and ethos that permeated through the club.

He basically threw down the gauntlet to the owners and said back me and I will repay you. He did this. He signed a whole new squad and they ran away with the league. Now, I know we didn't play particularly expansive football but in reality we had to tough our way out of that league and we did so. (And by the way, Vincent, who on previous pages of this thread criticises Powell's scouting network, how did he get all these new players in?)

Of those signings I would say that 70% could be considered genuine successes. Last season was a slog at times, we had bad runs and we had good runs. We lost games we feel we should have won and won games we expected to lose.

Now we are struggling. Big time. The spirit that saw us through some tough times last year seems to have deserted us a little. The injuries we have are bound to play a part. We have a threadbare squad. Our players are unsure of their futures. Our management team are unsure of their futures. Our owners barely watch us or communicate with the fans.

And yet sacking Chris Powell would see an upturn in results and performance? Really? Based on what? A new manager will want new signings. We have no money. A new manager will want time. We do not have it.

Powell isn't the problem. Those above him are. Those who are so 'successful' in their own fields but clearly have no idea of the mechanics of running a successful sporting team. Who show neglect, disdain and downright contempt towards its employees at all levels is the way to run things. Show them who the bosses are. Take no crap from the minions. Rip the heart out of a club whose history and success is based on heart and guts and fighting spirit.

And now that same attitude is showing in the reactions of some fans.

Please don't tell me that Paul Hart or Keith Peacock are better bets for managing this group of players. Please don't band names such as Pulis or Pearce as realistic alternatives.

NLA is correct that we are currently seen as the Titanic of the football world by managers, players, coaches, scouts. We are heading towards a huge iceberg. Allow Powell the opportunity to play his part in ensuring we steer clear of it.

Plain sailing at Charlton? Never is. But we have the only man probably willing enough, big enough and supported enough to have a chance at getting it right.

Spot on Mr Humfrey ( "I'm free" etc etc)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think,on the whole our squad, and the players within it are bottom third of the championship quality. I believe we over performed position wise last season. I think on their day each of players has the ability to perform to the standard required to stay in this league. Our issue is that I do not feel we have the collective ability to perform week in week out. Consistent performance is what makes a decent player a good one, eg Andy Reid, Jordan Rhodes etc. We have nobody of that quality.
  • Options
    bar Joe Piggott (potential) and chris solly, I would agree the rest are bottom third bar woods and devite who I don't think are championship players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent ... people thought you were gaming them when you first arrived with your naiive whats wrong with the board question... you thanked me for my answer then - when I proceeded to list a number of contradictions and unsubstantiated rumours which appeared on this site over the last 18 months...the funniest was the critique of the failed Villa bid for Stephens followed a few months later by why didn't we take the money! Any money
    But like football managers, club owners have a role to play...
    So I could construct a balanced answer BUT it is NOT my role to construct a case for the board...Instead I have written a piece to publish on the Trust site which MIGHT start a new discussion...and someone else has written a piece on the reality of Financial Fair Play...
    Now I could also post a load of unsubstantiated rumours and gossip but thats what they are so they dont go out in my name nor the Trusts...
    Perhaps over the course of this season we get to the bottom of what is going on - through events and statements...a word of caution though - its going to be a bumpy ride!

SR - There are some people who post on here with a balanced view. Who have the best interests of the club at heart. They engage in debate allowing both sides to have their view of which you are one. Since your reply I have got a better understanding of the trust and think it a good thing that some supporters are keen to keep an eye on how the club is being run. Shame that some just come on here to abuse and belittle.
    Look forward to seeing your views on the Trust site.
  • Options
    Solly's a top Championship player and Yann could play for a better side.

If you're talking potential I'd put Cousins above Pigott.
  • Options
    Two more defeats and two bad performances would make it difficult to argue a case for CP. Regardless of how limited the resources are that appears to be the reality in the near future so you'd have to hope someone could do a better job.
    The board appear to have no strategy left so we'll just have to sit and watch it all unfurl.
  • Options

Two more defeats and two bad performances would make it difficult to argue a case for CP. Regardless of how limited the resources are that appears to be the reality in the near future so you'd have to hope someone could do a better job.
    The board appear to have no strategy left so we'll just have to sit and watch it all unfurl.

Sorry Benty but that is nonsense.

Our next two fixtures are Forest and Blackpool two teams with much moire quality than us even when we are at full strength which we are not.

We could resurrect Sir Alf Ramsey and Bill Shankly for the job and still lose those two fixtures.

• Options
    I will tell you what the chief scout of another Championship side said about us recently.

We had, last season, three players who other managers felt were of real Championship quality. Kermorgant, Solly and Fuller.

They all knew we were about heart, fighting spirit and effort. They tried to play on Powell's tactical inexperience, but soon relaised that we had a team who fought for each other and their manager like no other team in the league did.

Powell is considered a very bright prospect. He gets the best out of average players. But he is cautious and tends to be reactive rather than proactive. He has a real eye for a player though and spends money wisely.

And what about our players? If Kermorgant plays, pretty much stop him and you stop the team. Put two players on him, one to block him and one to mark tight. Watch how he drops deeper and deeper and effectively negates his own threat.

Solly? A decent right back. Could play for a bigger club but not necessarily at a higher level. Very doubtful a Prem club would come in for him.

Hamer. Good prospect but plateauing. Worth sticking with.

Harriot is a prospect but not being watched seriously yet. Jackson a good ballplayer, influential and highly respected by his peers but can be out muscled, out manouevred and nullified.

Morrison? Not considered to be as good as Powell believes. Run directly at him with quick feet and he'll panic. Easy to ruffle.

The Valley? Players love playing there but are in no way intimidated by it or the crowd. Thinking is if that if the opposing team attack us from the off, the players go into their shell and the crowd get restless. that is a chance worth taking as we are pretty much devoid of players with real pace to launch counter attacks.

Our youth set up is considered to be one of the best in the south of England. But our young players can be got at and tempted away. Cousins and Poyet are our most talented young players and are watched regularly.

Now, I am sure none of this comes as a surprise. It will probably confirm some people's own opinions. But we are not considered, in our current position to be a team others really worry about. And they all know about the turmoil in the background...and there is a lot of sympathy for Powell amongst his fellow managers. Not that they will feel it when playing against us and will use it to motivate their own players.
  • Options
    I think some fans are going a bit over board on sacking CP, in my opinion.

The reason for the reaction, is simply knee jerk. Few games in, not gone well, people are worried about the fixtures to Walsall, Tranmere & Crawley, which is understandable. I don't want to end up there either.

However, I do have to reluctantly remind you what happened the last time we changed managers on a frequent basis...

On the flipside, I also remember what happened the last time we stuck by our manager!

But keep the faith.
  • Options
    Interesting post @sirjohnhumphrey, can't really disagree with any of that.

The thing with Solly is he's not the pacey attacking full back clubs in the Prem are probably looking for.
  • Options
    that's the thing SJH coaches, scouts and players of the game see it, and say it , I have a pal who is manager of a ryman league team, he is best mates with a Norwich player and on occasions I go over the golf course with them in a 4 ball the Norwich player lets out a bit of red top rumours from his and other clubs, then he goes on to tell me how well powell is considered and his feelings on x player we have

right now all they are talking about is what the hell powell is contending with and what people are saying about cafc

you try to say it but people chose to think that they know best and these people are wrong

I posted everything that Gower confirmed at the Q and A weeks before it and was asked how did I know, its nonsense its not that bad and still people don't get it

its like pissing in the wind
  • Options
    redman said:

It is quite clear that the players wages budget is lower than last year. If you think that is Powell's choice you must be mad.
    The fact we couldn't afford Fuller's wages this year whereas last year we did should say something

TJ did offer a wage to Rico. However, the amount was "insulting"