Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Powell Really Be Sacked?

Comments

• Options
    Question is,would you trust Jimenez & Slater to make the right appointment? Remember they had Varney holding their hands when they made their last appointment.
  • Options
    Project Charlton is failing and I don't doubt for a minute that the board will make a scapegoat of the manager, however culpable they themselves may be for our predicament.
    I do think CP is struggling with the hand he was dealt at the moment - poor team selection; strange formations; slow to act when the team is struggling; inexplicably throwing Piggott to the wolves (lions). etc
    It takes an act of faith to stick with a manager because you believe he has the potential to one day be great and you hope it is with you.
    The board showed faith during Powell's initial half season when he struggled to make an impact; and then they backed him with funds that summer and the rest is history.
    But as others have said, it's a results driven business and the past is quickly forgotten.
    I think they'll sack him next week if we lose the next 2 - it makes no odds what the fans think.

• Options

Question to the blinkered brigade, when would you sack CP? I am not saying now, but think he is in last chance saloon, maybe another half a dozen games, it would be harsh to judge him on the upcoming games tbh, but the nice bloke exemption surely cannot last forever?

This is when it goes quiet
  • Options
    Have to agree with Clems post.
  • Options

Question to the blinkered brigade, when would you sack CP? I am not saying now, but think he is in last chance saloon, maybe another half a dozen games, it would be harsh to judge him on the upcoming games tbh, but the nice bloke exemption surely cannot last forever?

relegation zone at the beginning of january I'd start to think about pulling the trigger.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I would say by Christmas ... and I would not judge solely on league position .. the inconsistent team selection, admittedly hampered lately by a few injuries, muddled tactics and watching a team attempting to play a game to which it is simply not suited, to my mind means that 'the manager' has lost the plot irrespective of any and I mean ANY outside influences, no money, lack of new contracts, whatever.
    It is not fair to the fans if we sink with a wonderful guy/captain/manager at the helm, well meaning and charismatic though he may be.
    If the manager is not managing what he has, not getting the best from what resources he has, as limited as they may be, he must go and give someone else a chance to improve the situation.
  • Options
    We had a lot of poor runs last season. We lost plenty of games but every so often we went on a run of 3/4 good results.

We need a run like that very soon. I think he will probably keep his job even if we lose the next 2, but probably not if it continues for another 4/5 games.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

This is when it goes quiet
    Too true, I am not sure whether he is a good manager or not, promotion from a numpty league should have been a given with the money he spent, others have tried and failed though, so fair play to him for that. But we were beaten 3-0 by an attack minded Burnley yesterday, are they big spenders? At least they are going for it, it is the negative football unblinkered fans will not forgive.

We were Shiite in the 70/80's but as long as we attacked we did not care.

Cast aside your caution and go for it.
  • Options
    when he has a level playing field of support from the mgmt. above him, when the majority of the squad are not out of contract

when the club is not in a financial pit of shit

then if he has been supported and he don't do it sack him

but if anyone thinks that any manager could over come this barn case of a club and achieve then it is you who is seriously deluded and misguided
  • Options
    I would part company now
    this team was built by CP. During the summer it was down to him to sell any player he thought would bring in enough money to find decent players on low fees. Lenny L and Curbs/Gritt did this in the beginning of their managing Charlton. CP his coaching and scouting team failed miserably in doing this and so we have a team that pretty much picks itself.
    Since CP became manager our home form and performances have been very indifferent especially against poorer teams. No money to spend just like Palace last season and Millwall this, have Orient been given millions to spend this season or is it down to the manager spotting players that are on a free or little fee and knowing they will fit in to his plans.
    Chris Powell is a great ambassador for Charlton unfortunately IMHO not a good enough manager for where we need to be
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcdan18 said:

Yes, of course he could be. Pretty much any manager can be regardless of reputation and history.

Do the majority of fans want him to be sacked, of course not but as is said above, it is a results driven business and if we do not win one of the next two, he may go. Unfortunately reputations count for little nowadays.

There have been rumours that Powell and Jiminez are far from best pals, we lose the next two and Jiminez will not be worried about sacking Powell.

Expect a couple of sackings this week, Freedman, Flitcroft and Jones in our league are on thin ice, Weir and O'Driscoll in League 1 and even Jol in the Prem could be jobless.

Hope Powell is not one of them.

Hope Powell is one of them - she was sacked from the England women's job a few weeks ago.

I'll get me coat.

• Options

I am as depressed as anyone on here but the idea that getting rid of Chris Powell will make things any better is a complete joke.

The only way we will go if he exits is down and down at a very rapid rate. He and Keith Peacock are the last true Charlton people left and when they go you might as well go and support Ebbsfleet or MK Dons.

In the manager's defence:

1.Even if only 10% of the rumours are true, the current owners have destroyed club morale and it is impossible for this not to permeate the dressing room after a while (key staff sacked/players contracts not updated etc)
    2.He achieved 9th with (a slightly enhanced) League 1 team in his first season at this level.
    3.This season's squad is significantly weaker than last season due to lack of investment from the owners.
    4.His three key players (Jackson, Kermorgant & Solly) are all injured.
    5.We lost two strikers in the summer who actually scored real league goals for Charlton (Fuller and Obika)
    6. Our midfield is just not good enough and this was clear last season too but no significant investment was made.

Could he really be sacked?

Yes of course, if you lot send out the message that the owners can get away with it because then they would bring in an even cheaper alternative and have the perfect scapegoat for screwing up the club.

And what do you think their budget will be is for a replacement manager to attract the real talent?

And how will the players brought to the club by Powell react to a newcomer?

And what will be the budget for a new man to improve the squad?

If Chris Powell leaves under any circumstances, anytime soon, it will make the post Curbs tragedy look like a relative success story, so be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

I would part company now
    this team was built by CP. During the summer it was down to him to sell any player he thought would bring in enough money to find decent players on low fees. Lenny L and Curbs/Gritt did this in the beginning of their managing Charlton. CP his coaching and scouting team failed miserably in doing this and so we have a team that pretty much picks itself.
    Since CP became manager our home form and performances have been very indifferent especially against poorer teams. No money to spend just like Palace last season and Millwall this, have Orient been given millions to spend this season or is it down to the manager spotting players that are on a free or little fee and knowing they will fit in to his plans.
    Chris Powell is a great ambassador for Charlton unfortunately IMHO not a good enough manager for where we need to be

Go on I bit

you cant sell and buy players when you have no sale value on your squad

Since CP came our home form

we have been shit at home under

Pardew
    Parkinson
    and Powell (even though in the promotion season we achieved 101 points cant be arsed to look how many points we took)

No money for millwall to spend this season look at who they signed

• Options
    Let's say, hypothetically, that Powell is sacked in the next few weeks. I'm not asking for your opinions on whether this would be a good move or a bad one. I'm interested in your realistic suggestions for a replacement; who would you like and who is available? Paul Hart? Steve Gritt? Tony Pulis? Gus Poyet? Paolo di Canio?

Thank fuck Jimenez has fallen out with Dennis Wise.
  • Options

Let's say, hypothetically, that Powell is sacked in the next few weeks. I'm not asking for your opinions on whether this would be a good move or a bad one. I'm interested in your realistic suggestions for a replacement; who would you like and who is available? Paul Hart? Steve Gritt? Tony Pulis? Gus Poyet? Paolo di Canio?

None of those but I am at a loss to come up with a sensible alternative. That's what scares me.

• Options

Vincent said:

I would part company now

Go on I bit

you cant sell and buy players when you have no sale value on your squad

Since CP came our home form

we have been shit at home under

Pardew
    Parkinson
    and Powell (even though in the promotion season we achieved 101 points cant be arsed to look how many points we took)

No money for millwall to spend this season look at who they signed

So what do not bother reading

Solly, Wiggens, Stephens and Hamer

Promotion season still poor performances at home

Millwall no money just good old fashion scouting
  • Options
    I can't see CP being pushed this side of Christmas. I reckon the muppets upstairs will wait until we are back to full strength, player wise and see how it goes.

They have no money for players so why would they have any for a new manager. If Powell is sacked they will just stick Peacock and/ or Hart in and pray they keep us up.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the "Powell Out" people on this thread were also calling for him to go last year? Or how many were calling for Curbs to go, back in the day.

Some people just have more patience than others. Sometimes that is misplaced, sometimes it's not. But the thing with showing a bit of patience is that at least you know you gave people a fair crack of the whip and didn't make a knee jerk reaction.

If Powell digs us out of trouble, again - like he did last year, then I hope people are man enough to admit they were wrong. However, I wont be holding my breath.

• Options

I have always taken the view that it is down to the owner to choose the manager and who ever it is I wish them every success, I would be happy to see Terry Butcher or Stuart Pearce take the helm.
  • Options
    Stuart Pearce? Oh behave!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millwall spent no money are you mad

Chaplow
    Mcdonald
    Bailey
    morrison

all on more money per week than we could pay

the rest of your post makes no sense so write it so I can understand and I will answer it

By the way Solly's injury prob means he will be here always as if what is being said about injections after every game is true it would be widely known through out the game
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off it I am not an expert like you on these matters
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Off_it said:

Off it I am not an expert like you on these matters
    Few are mate!
    ;o)

But seriously, Stuart Pearce?
  • Options
    he thinks millwall haven't invested this season so I reckon he was serious with pearce
  • Options

he thinks millwall haven't invested this season so I reckon he was serious with pearce

How much have Millwall spent on players this summer seeing as you seem to know all
  • Options
    I am not a powell out, but never say never, I notice that most of his supporters have dropped the SCP moniker, so faith is already weakening in those with blinkers. I never called for curbs to go, ridiculous thing to do, I would imagine none of the cp must stay brigade did either at any stage?

At the end of the day it is the managers job to get the team performing in any dysfunctional organization, he cannot, nor can his sycophants blame the board forever.

If you called for curbs to go, then that is part of the reason we are here, he was an unheralded success in the modern era and I never understood the calls for a change.

Reap and sow.
  • Options
    its not the spend in transfer its the wages
  • Options

its not the spend in transfer its the wages

So you know the difference between the player wages for those that have left and the new comers please let me know just how much this difference is
  • Options
    "those with blinkers", ""sycophants" - very objective words to use for those you disagree with.

*note to self: file in the ever-growing "ignore" box

• Options
    they signed 13 players in 2013

including loans

Waghorn (Leicester)
    Derry (QPR)
    Marshall (villa)
    Connolly
    Barrett
    McDonald (boro)
    bailey (boro)
    Chaplow (sthampton)
    Martin (Ipswich)
    Easter (palace)
    Bywater (sheff wed)
    safia
    gerrar

They released 9 bar 2 of that 9 they are at league 1 or worse

so you do the maths if you think for one minute that any of those above were on lge 1 or 2 or conf wages then you do not know football