Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Non League latest....

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    My new local team Hornchurch have today been promoted from the Isthmian Prem to National League South, as champions. They beat 2nd place Chatham Town 2-1 in injury time.

Have enjoyed a few trips to Hornchurch since moving there. Decent support.
    Hope they can afford it this time... Remember Hornchurch buying their way to the National Leagues, what feels about a decade ago - They didn't last long 
    Around 2004/5 that was. 

Used to go when we were not at home as lived in flats right next to ground - the emergency exit was through our car park behind the goal. 

Dodgy owner, rinsed everything out of the club after his window company Coldseal went bust. Players were taking computers and paintings and stuff out of the offices to make up for money they were owed. 

Funnily enough the owner got back on his feet when he started a new window company called Warmseal who bought a load of bankrupt stock from Coldseal. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:
    My new local team Hornchurch have today been promoted from the Isthmian Prem to National League South, as champions. They beat 2nd place Chatham Town 2-1 in injury time.

Hope they can afford it this time... Remember Hornchurch buying their way to the National Leagues, what feels about a decade ago - They didn't last long 
    Around 2004/5 that was. 

Used to go when we were not at home as lived in flats right next to ground - the emergency exit was through our car park behind the goal. 

Dodgy owner, rinsed everything out of the club after his window company Coldseal went bust. Players were taking computers and paintings and stuff out of the offices to make up for money they were owed. 

Funnily enough the owner got back on his feet when he started a new window company called Warmseal who bought a load of bankrupt stock from Coldseal. 
    Can you recommend him for double glazing installation?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Am I right in saying this pitch has a running track around it?
    Cant stand those grounds, Chelmsford being another.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    cafctom said:

Am I right in saying this pitch has a running track around it?
    Cant stand those grounds, Chelmsford being another.
    yeah it does 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

Around 2004/5 that was. 

Jesus... I was going to suggest it was 10-20 years ago when I posted, but the latter felt too ridiculous
  • Options
    This week Truro are playing Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday. Then next week they play Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. 

Including the game they played today that's 8 games in 14 days. Ridiculous.
    Colne FC have it worse than that!
  • Options
    This week Truro are playing Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday. Then next week they play Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. 

Including the game they played today that's 8 games in 14 days. Ridiculous.
    Ridiculous for them, and distorting for the division too.

Tonight they're currently losing to Torquay, while on Wednesday they play Eastbourne,  2 direct rivals for relegation, and the 2 teams immediately above Dartford after the weekend.

Then on Thursday they play the league leaders Yeovil, who thankfully are well clear, but it's a massive benefit for them to play such a weakened opponent.

Then on Saturday they play Bath, fighting for a playoff spot, so good for Bath, and again not so good for the teams around them.

And then on the final Saturday, after playing Tuesday and Thursday, they play Dartford, which potentially could be a relegation decider.
  • Options
    The Truro manager realistically now has to pick and choose what games they go for.

Tomorrow at home to Eastbourne they need to go for it and get at least a draw. The next night against Yeovil they'd probably lose anyway as it'll be their 3rd game in 4 days so play kids. At the weekend at home to Maidstone i'd play the kids too, so the first team can be fresh for next Tuesday when they play bottom side Dover which is a must win.

If they can get 4 points from Eastbourne and Dover they'll be safe, as Dartford are highly unlikely to win all 3 remaining games.
  • Options
    Dartford lost at home to Worthing tonight. Can’t see them getting out of this, they’ve got Yeovil away on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dartford lost at home to Worthing tonight. Can’t see them getting out of this, they’ve got Yeovil away on Saturday.

An atrocious slide out of the division. We can't beat anyone other than the worst teams.
  • Options

An atrocious slide out of the division. We can't beat anyone other than the worst teams.
    11 points from 20 games since they beat Welling on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    Take their form into account, plus the games in hand others have, Dartford look doomed unless there is a miracle - quite some fall……
  • Options
    Going down to Havant this evening. A point should do it, but would like all three.
    Dave M - Player of the year/season after the game Saturday if you fancy a beer?
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Going down to Havant this evening. A point should do it, but would like all three.
    Great turn around in form from the Wings. It would need all of Taunton, Eastbourne, Truro, Torquay and Hemel to overhaul them for relegation now, which seems extremely unlikely. Truro playing Eastbourne tonight, and Taunton have to play Torquay and Hemel. Will be great to get it mathematically confirmed though.

I am planning on going to the Weymouth game on Saturday, so after that I hope it will be mathematically confirmed.

I hope they can hang on to the core of players and carry this form into next season.
  • Options
    Dartford have been mostly awful this season
    After last season's success manager Alan Dowson couldn't get a tune out of his squad, became increasingly unpopular and was sacked in January with the club 10 points clear of relegation at the time
    Stalwart Tony Burnam caretook until Ady Pennock was recruited but results went from bad to worse and the trajectory has been ever more steeply downwards, even losing a relegation 6 pointer at home to Dowson's new team Hemel Hempstead, followed by winning only 1 point in games against relegation threatened Truro and Eastbourne.
    Hard to see what's gone so badly wrong
    The death last month of club Chairman Dave Skinner, without whom Dartford FC would probably have folded years ago, won't have helped.
    A season in the Southern or Isthmian League might not be a total disaster and should come with the excitement of a promotion push season, the Princes Park faithful will sustain in numbers for a year without doubt.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Yes mate, I’ll be there 
  • Options
    R0TW said:

If you're driving there's a nice fish and chip shop in Westbourne near the bottom of the A3 (Emsworth way)
  • Options
    Dulwich Hamlet often pull in attendances just over 3000 so Isthmian League is not wholly soulless.
    You are likely to have a top division with Dartford, Dulwich Hamlet and our old friends Cray Valley Paper Mills, plus new ground (Flamingo Park) historic Cray Wanderers.
    Not too bad for local interest, and I am sure I’ve left one or two out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Dulwich Hamlet often pull in attendances just over 3000 so Isthmian League is not wholly soulless.
    You are likely to have a top division with Dartford, Dulwich Hamlet and our old friends Cray Valley Paper Mills, plus new ground (Flamingo Park) historic Cray Wanderers.
    Dulwich are pretty unique though, the way they've made Champion Hill into a real social gathering place, helped by being able to drink while watching the game (or not watching the game even).

Indeed I've never entirely understood the rules on drinking when watching games, I assume Dartford and Welling could allow it, but choose not to (or their local licensing agreement doesn't allow it?)
  • Options
    edited April 10
    NLS = beer. Simple
    As for Dulwich, yes they are unique.
    Think Seph x 2000 arguing over the origins of Tofu
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    NLS = beer. Simple
    As for Dulwich, yes they are unique.
    Think Seph x 2000 arguing over the origins of Tofu
    Other NLS clubs like Dartford and Welling don't allow drinking while watching though, whereas Dulwich when in the NLS do. Hampton and Richmond is another one who do allow drinking.
  • Options
    Yes they do.
  • Options
    Well welling does. Think you are right about Dartford though.
    Not many don’t in this league.
    Quite a few have bars adjacent to the terracing.
    My favourite being St Albans
  • Options
    Be silly not to allow it really (unless it's a match with potential for any trouble), as clubs at that level need all the extra revenue they can get.
  • Options
    R0TW said:

Do St. Albans still have the tree on the terrace behind the goal?
  • Options
    Be silly not to allow it really (unless it's a match with potential for any trouble), as clubs at that level need all the extra revenue they can get.

Absolutely, the clubhouse is where non-league gets a lot of their money.  Particularly if it is used on non-matchdays.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Dulwich are pretty unique though, the way they've made Champion Hill into a real social gathering place, helped by being able to drink while watching the game (or not watching the game even).

Indeed I've never entirely understood the rules on drinking when watching games, I assume Dartford and Welling could allow it, but choose not to (or their local licensing agreement doesn't allow it?)
    Yeah, I only go a couple of times a year but always bump into a bunch of people. I think to be fair everyone does watch the game.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    I've never been able to drink while watching the game at Park View Road