Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burnley - Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Let's be honest, the club is clearly being run like a complete mess. And Powell may well walk before he is pushed as a result. But whilst the majority of the problems lie with the board imo, nobody (including heaven forbid Chris Powell) are blameless. There seems a split where some fans lay the blame at CPs doorstep and some want to wipe his arse for him. In reality, the truth may be somewhere in the middle.

The manager will always get the blame. Think he's now on borrowed time.
  • Dansk_Red said:

There are better managers out there but we're not going to attract them.

Who?

Are you saying CP is the best manager in the world and there's nobody better?
  • Turns out Pritchard was only brought off through injury.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    CP confirms that Bradley Pritchard suffered a concussion in the first half, which is why he was forced off at half-time. (IL) #cafc
  • Dansk_Red said:

Who?

Think the point is, which manager, if any, would come to CAFC with no money to spend ? Hoof_it, anyone in mind ?

• Dansk_Red said:

Who?

Think the point is, which manager, if any, would come to CAFC with no money to spend ? Hoof_it, anyone in mind ?

Pulis is possibly the only option or failing that Curbs - a bonus payable on keeping us up. Can't see many being up to it.
  • I really do think we need to percevere with Sordell up front, one game here and there is no way for a player to regain form or confidence.Church is like Gary Nelson will run all day but isn't the answer.Strange how Piggott seems to have moved above Azeez in the pecking order as I though Azeez was highly thought of ? Strange don't get too down or disappointed anymore (apart from last week) just accepting the situation which is a bit sad considering how long I've been going.

Totally agree about Sordell. He has quality but needs some help to find and show it.
  • I really don't think that the formation we play makes the slightest difference. We have a weak midfield & a poor selection of strikers, except for Yann. That makes scoring goals extremely difficult. The odds must be against us winning most games, regardless of how we line up.

Disagree about the midfield. Jackson, Pritchard and potentially Cousins is a solid central midfield. We are just playing the wrong players. (I'm aware Jackson was injured today).
  • Dear. Oh. Dear.
  • Shaun Newton ‏@SNewts7
    Disappointing lose today at Burnley! Not an easy place to get 3pts. I'll watch the highlights. But I trust in powelly to get it right.#cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster said:

Wonder if any of the board made the trip up?

Well Martin Prothero lives up that way, and he is a Burnley fan, he may even have been there, but is he a board member?

This is a week of pressure coming up, and personally I want to say that I back Chris Powell 100%.
    He is not yet the finished article but I cannot think of anybody else who I would rather see in charge of our club. Especially in charge of our club, with the present restrictions on resources and the present apparent loss of interest by the owners and executive, there is nobody I can envisage who could do as well as he is at the moment.
    There may be suggestions for a replacement, others can make them. Indeed a new manager may have a brief bounce effect, but I repeat, in my view, with the current circumstances, Powell is actually doing a good job.
    I simply think the present regime are so bonkers they may lose Powell stupidly, and then we will be even deeper in chite creek.
    There you go, colours nailed to the mast.

• You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. The board are not willing or not in aposition to invest, CP having to make do with what scraps he can. Things are far from rosy in the CAFC garden. But today's result was predictable. Like a few others here, the next few games will decide a lot of things. I personally will be totally gutted if CP goes and I cannot see who in their right mind would jump at the vacancy!
  • Do you know what? I have had it with this fucking forum. So many newbies,kids and wankers on here now that will murder the team, the manager and the board coz we've had a few bad results. This is Cafc we lose shit, we win shit, but it is still CAFC.

Carry on with your know nothing management and business theories , I'm just going to support my club as I have for the last 40 years and not even bother with the rest of you.
  • vff said:

Disappointing but predictable result.

3 of our best players are injured in a thin squad.

2 are out injured (solly & JJ) Kermy was on the bench.

• edited September 2013

I really don't think that the formation we play makes the slightest difference. We have a weak midfield & a poor selection of strikers, except for Yann. That makes scoring goals extremely difficult. The odds must be against us winning most games, regardless of how we line up.

Disagree about the midfield. Jackson, Pritchard and potentially Cousins is a solid central midfield. We are just playing the wrong players. (I'm aware Jackson was injured today).
    You are, of course, entitled to that view. I fundamentally disagree with it though.
  • So it was a shit result!
    It's the big picture that worries me.
    From what I have heard from a former player of last season is that TJ does not have a scooby about running a football club. He will not/cannot spend any money.
    Having heard this news I fear for our club this season I really do!
  • Greenie said:

So it was a shit result!
    It's the big picture that worries me.
    From what I have heard from a former player of last season is that TJ does not have a scooby about running a football club. He will not/cannot spend any money.
    Having heard this news I fear for our club this season I really do!

You are quite right Greenie, today's game is irrelevant in the bigger picture. I do fear that we are in serious difficulties off the pitch & I worry about our very future.
  • JWADDICK said:

Do you know what? I have had it with this fucking forum. So many newbies,kids and wankers on here now that will murder the team, the manager and the board coz we've had a few bad results. This is Cafc we lose shit, we win shit, but it is still CAFC.

Carry on with your know nothing management and business theories , I'm just going to support my club as I have for the last 40 years and not even bother with the rest of you.

Ok have a good life
  • We have to keep Powell. I don't see any other manager doing any better with that squad. You know he has this club in his blood. He does however need to rethink a number of things. That midfield is woefully short, mainly in the centre. Jackson, Stephens, I don't rate either. I don't think Jackson would've made a difference today. Pritchard again pushed out to the right??? I don't understand Powell's persistence in this, it can only be to accommodate the likes of Jackson and Stephens. Wilson adds nothing, and Morrison is liable for a mistake at the back. Really rated Harriotts when he got in the team last season. I would like us to persist with 2 natural wide players. It can't all be on Kermorgant's shoulders, because teams are working out that he's our only threat!!! 1 win in 9....are there 3 teams worse than us? Could be our only hope
  • Saga Lout said:

Am I wrong in thinking we were the better team before their first goal? It's not all bad.

It's very bad - you need to read your post again - you're off you're head !
  • Sponsored links:

• JWADDICK said:

Do you know what? I have had it with this fucking forum. So many newbies,kids and wankers on here now that will murder the team, the manager and the board coz we've had a few bad results. This is Cafc we lose shit, we win shit, but it is still CAFC.

jwaddick people like you and me will keep going ,no matter what happens.
  • One thing noticeable today was Dyche patrolled his technical area the whole game. Can't say the same for Powell. Not that it would have made any difference but surely he hasn't given up the ghost? Not that I'd blame him, must be soul destroying have Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber in charge. Doomed with Slater and Jiminez at the helm.
  • edited September 2013
    just home from Turf Moor

we lost to a team that can pass quickly and forwards and accurately with players who run into space and make space, we don't.

We had plenty of possession but in our own half, our attacking play was slow and ponderous , our midfield mostly lightweight and our attack had to feed off scraps.

The Bad
    Hamer's kicking
    Morrison's positioning and poor passing out of defence
    Wiggins just not the player he once was
    Stewart wore the wrong boots as he kept falling over
    Stephens playing just behind Church didn't really know what to do

The Good
    Cousins showed talent
    Wilson got stuck in to a couple of tricky wingers
    Sordell did some good work and looked like he was up for it
    Yann could be fit for Tuesday
    Church tried

We lost to a better team brimming with confidence, and we have lost at Turf Moor on many occasions, now is not the time for wholesale changes but is the time to support our team.
  • Good post LL
  • just home from Turf Moor

we lost to a team that can pass quickly and forwards and accurately with players who run into space and make space, we don't.

We had plenty of possession but in our own half, our attacking play was slow and ponderous , our midfield mostly lightweight and our attack had to feed off scraps.

The Bad
    Hamer's kicking
    Morrison's positioning and poor passing out of defence
    Wiggins just now the player he once was
    Stewart wore the wrong boots as he kept falling over
    Stephens playing just behind Church didn't really know what to do

The Good
    Cousins showed talent
    Wilson got stuck in to a couple of tricky wingers
    Sordell did some good work and looked like he was up for it
    Yann could be fit for Tuesday
    Church tried

We lost to a better team brimming with confidence, and we have lost at Turf Moor on many occasions, now is not the time for wholesale changes but is the time to support our team.

A credible reflection from a credible fan who was actually there.
    By the way LL, were any of the big knobs in the directors box, or was it Jim Davidson, Chris Parkes and his wife, Richard Murray and Keith Peacock?

• sorry Seth I didn't look
  • Sounded pretty even upto the point they scored and from then it was always going to be difficult against an inform Burnley. With fragile confidence this squad currently has the 2nd half was always going to be very tough chasing the game and so it proved. We all knew before the season started just how hard it was going to be with the lack of signings and with so many players out of contract all wondered how that would effect the team spirit that's been do evident the past 2 seasons. If anyone deserves any blame then surely this lies with the board? When I heard Sollys interview after he signed his new contract he said how it had played on his mind and had hoped it would of been sorted much earlier. This got me thinking about near enough the whole squad bar 1 or 2 players knowing where their futures lie past this season. It seems like a crazy route the board have gone down and it looks to be backfiring pretty badly. There seems to be a blame Powell element creeping into our fan base at the moment which seems totally unjustified for what he has done for the club as a player and manager. He may not get everything right at times but no manager does. If anyone thinks this is the squad he wanted to start the season with they are seriously blinded. I'll be their tues night backing him 100%, this is the time we need to come together and show our support like the Cardiff game last season. COYR!
  • Would like to see Hughes back in, we started getting better with him back in the team last season. Once we get some of these injuries sorted, we'll be all right.
  • Just on my way back south. Last week I was angry this week I despair...

We all know the club is in trouble and the problems stem from the board, however, Chris' team selection smacks of desperation, he abandons the 5 across the back which is arguably our best formation away from home in favour of a new formation containing 4 central midfielders! It just didn't work.

It's easy to pick a team from the stands i know, but for Tuesday lets play a simple straight forward 4-4-2 with wingers, we don't have a single player that can play that defense splitting pass so let's get the wingers down the line and get the crosses in for a hopefully fit again Yann to get on the end of.

The negativity around the club at the moment is extremely worrying and I can't see it improving until the current board have moved on...
  • We've lost an away match in the North West.

Not an unknown phenomenon for Charlton Athletic!

The realists amongst us have known all along that this season is about hoping that there are 3 worse teams in the division.

Chris Powell will have done a good job if we finish 21st.

He has a limited pack of cards to shuffle, through no fault of his own, and supporters need to acknowledge that fact and get behind him.