Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burnley - Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• cafckev said:

Where did this rumour of a meeting come from Fanny?

Why is this relevant, Large ?

Can 't you just accept that it appears to have taken place ?

Dont be silly, this will turn into a "name your sauce or shut up" thread like normal if you dont!
    "Source" - doh!
  • Where did this rumour of a meeting come from Fanny?

My sons mate works at Sparrows cutting the grass - he said the tea lady told him about a meeting to discuss CP's future
  • Saga Lout said:

Am I wrong in thinking we were the better team before their first goal? It's not all bad.

Yes mate, you are wrong.

Ok, I'll take your word for it - I wasn't there - I was only listening to the radio and on there they indicated that we'd started well.
  • Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Am I wrong in thinking we were the better team before their first goal? It's not all bad.

Yes mate, you are wrong.

Ok, I'll take your word for it - I wasn't there - I was only listening to the radio and on there they indicated that we'd started well.
    Then you had a lucky escape pal!
  • DannyAddick, we bought Shack last year, 12 months before we sold Austin.

Wheresmeticket has it spot on. Burnley were in 2nd gear all match and managed to win comfortably in the end. We had far too many poor performers yesterday, and if it had been QPR or Leicester et al, they'd have likely scored 2 or 3 more. This is the reason Burnley are unlikely to stay in the top 2, or perhaps even top 6 this year. We played nothing like the last 3 games and against a top 4 or 5 team we'd have likely been on the wrong end of that score line.

Your number 8(?) seemed decent. It was the lad who played attacking midfield and seemed to have a good touch, playing balls into positions where your players should have been, but ended up looking silly as they hadn't made the runs they should have. Your right back played well and had Kightly in his pocket.

Your spell in the game was just after half time at 1-0. You had several chances that a slight touch here or there could have seen you level. With Vokes and Ings up front we were always going to be dangerous, despite the lacklustre performance.

I genuinely hope your results pick up as you don't belong in the lower leagues. Good luck for the season guys.
  • Remember Les Reid. A lot of us thought he might become the new Lennie Lawrence, instead he was nearer to being Charlie Chaplin. My desire not to lose Powell has nothing to do with whether I love him or not. Simply, sacking a manager is more often than not a knee jerk reaction, but it rarely changes things at the club. Powell is currently looking out of his depth, but yesterdat (we'll leave Millwall apart) was a tough game against a team on form, so a defeat was'nt against the run of play. We have a desperately thin squad, so the couple of injuries we've got ARE decimating, but there's no money, and let's be honest, what right do the fans have to DEMAND that Slater and Jimenez throw good money after bad on more signings.
    We're in the brown stuff, but we need to pull together, and for the momento that means getting behind CP. The man is'nt perfect, but let's look at what he has to work with and cut him some slack.
  • I was at the game, invited by northern friends so didn't sit in away end. Like last week, quality of football from both teams was poor throughout, no obvious individual skills on view, the only difference being was that Burnley became less worse and managed to score from the relatively few opportunities they created up to the third goal. They are now second in the league.....if it's the same with Forest and Blackpol next week does it mean that this looks like a particularly uninspired season for most in the division.
  • We have too many league one players and eventually it catches up with you as we are now finding out.

The board who are running the club dont give a toss about it, and as much as i admire CP, the starting 11 is different every week, and no i dont mean by the odd subtle change there appears to be wholesale changes.
  • Well there you have it a Burnley fan says our number 8 is a decent player,looking to play good balls,but made to look stupid due to players not making runs.Last week Stephens got murdered on here after Millwall, well I remember him hitting a cross field 60 yard ball on to Wiggins toes last week yet people still don't see it, he is a class ball playing midfielder (our only one) yet people what to continuously dig him out.Lambert obviously saw something in him, and he was/is assembling a good young team. We need to assure him/ Sordell they are going to get a run in the team.Believe in them not one bad game and your out for 3 weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

Wheresmeticket has it spot on. Burnley were in 2nd gear all match and managed to win comfortably in the end. We had far too many poor performers yesterday, and if it had been QPR or Leicester et al, they'd have likely scored 2 or 3 more. This is the reason Burnley are unlikely to stay in the top 2, or perhaps even top 6 this year. We played nothing like the last 3 games and against a top 4 or 5 team we'd have likely been on the wrong end of that score line.

Your number 8(?) seemed decent. It was the lad who played attacking midfield and seemed to have a good touch, playing balls into positions where your players should have been, but ended up looking silly as they hadn't made the runs they should have. Your right back played well and had Kightly in his pocket.

Your spell in the game was just after half time at 1-0. You had several chances that a slight touch here or there could have seen you level. With Vokes and Ings up front we were always going to be dangerous, despite the lacklustre performance.

I genuinely hope your results pick up as you don't belong in the lower leagues. Good luck for the season guys.

Thank you claret forever for your comments. I am feeling very down at the moment at what is happening to our Football club. There is a shroud of despair hanging over the place. I do not want Powell to leave or be sacked but it is reaching the stage when something needs to give. I would like to know what the owners have planned. Are they going to bring in a couple of loan players. Sack Powell, give some contracts out? Sell the Club at a reasonable price? Or just sit on their hands as they seem to be doing at the moment, as the Club drops like a stone to be playing in Div 1 next season.
    I have supported the club fifty two years through a lot of hard times, but at the moment I have a feeling of helplessness regarding what is happening.

All we can do is keep turning up supporting the club and try to be as positive in our support as we can. The players are in desperate need of some confidence, let us support them like we did against Cardiff in similar circumstances.

• As I have stated before, you note a supporters character when things are going badly, and at the moment things on the pitch are that.
    As frustrating as it is to watch the team, and CP going what at the least is a very sticky patch the team wether good enough, or wether CP has meet his level/ability I feel you have to support the team, what else is there to do. personally, I think there is little with the hand that CP has to play at the moment than get Yann back as soon as possible, and find a regular starting spot for Evina. JJ and Solly hopefully will not be out for too long but if the squad quality is that poor that we cannot deal with injuries, then is it Powells fault?
    What is he supposed to do now, go in a demand £10 million investment at Christmas for players/contracts or say I am going to resign?
    Yes CP has made mistakes, but I will go with him and i hope he can turn it around.
  • We need INVESTMENT and we need it NOW! I wish the board would drop the bloody asking price and allow us to move on. I have total faith in SCP provided he is given sufficient resources to do his job.
  • edited September 2013
    Lennie Lawrence said after years of dicing with relegation, that eventually it catches up with you, and finally you go to draw from the well and it is dry. We may not have been battling for years, but I do worry that after last season, when the players put in a monumental effort at the end, we may not have anything left. That said I don't think we will go down, but only by the skin of our teeth.

The situation CP is in is very similar to that of LL in the old Div 1 albeit he had an overtly supportive board.
  • just home from Turf Moor

We lost to a team that can pass quickly and forwards and accurately with players who run into space and make space, we don't.

We had plenty of possession but in our own half, our attacking play was slow and ponderous, our midfield mostly lightweight and our attack had to feed off scraps.

I wasn't at the Burnley game, but you have succinctly described what I have witnessed at The Valley this season and most of last season too. I'm not entirely convinced that man-for-man our players are less fit or less able than many others in the Championship. What they lack is effective training that would enable them to construct quick and incisive moves, to make space and take advantage of it. The link-up play between midfield and attack is, as you say, slow and ponderous, and completely devoid of the guile or cunning that is essential if defences are to be breached.

I often wonder: What on earth goes on at Sparrows Lane on Monday to Friday? I'm not yet calling for Powell's dismissal; perhaps he needs the guiding hand of a mentor, the wise advice of a more experienced coach. The games on Tuesday and next Saturday may be crucial to his future.

• LenGlover said:

We've lost an away match in the North West.

Not an unknown phenomenon for Charlton Athletic!

The realists amongst us have known all along that this season is about hoping that there are 3 worse teams in the division.

Chris Powell will have done a good job if we finish 21st.

He has a limited pack of cards to shuffle, through no fault of his own, and supporters need to acknowledge that fact and get behind him.

Agree
  • It's not the last time we will lose 3-0, as for this Tuesday against Forest - COME ON YOU ADDICKS! (Was gonna put rip roaring goal scoring addicks, but couldn't be bothered with possible abuse :-) )

Thanks very much Claret; enjoyed your input before & after the game. Even if there wasn't a huge gulf between the two sides, you certainly had the edge up front and in that vital area of confidence. Also, your crossing when it came, was purposeful and dangerous; ours wasn't. Good luck for the season; Dyche has you playing attractive progressive football on a limited budget.

It's always great to get another teams perspective, and it's incredibly interesting to see the two players you've singled out!

8, is our marmite man - Stephens. He can be the most frustrating player to watch as some games he can be brilliant, and like you say - has a brilliant first touch and can pick out quite a dangerous pass. However, other times he can seem to "freeze-up" in midfield, his passing can be awry and - well, he just blows hot and cold. Perhaps playing him a bit further up, with a striker or two playing off him could work in the future - after they get an understanding of each-other perhaps. (Although I think he may have taken that role on as our usual striker, Kermogant, usually allows another striker to play off him)

As for our RB, Lawrie Wilson, he's firmly in second place for that position - and hasn't exactly lived up to the expectations set by our usual RB; Chris Solly. Admittedly though, this season he's looked a bit better playing as a wingback in a 3-5-2 formation - I did worry a bit about going back to 4 at the back and having him as a traditional RB. Glad to hear he also performed.

I was one of the ones who didn't expect anything from this game, so I'm not too surprised at the lack of points - but it is disappointing to see the score-line; especially if you guys weren't exactly firing on all cylinders. It just doesn't make sense from our point of view as we managed to see of Leicester 2 weeks ago, and held Watford for a point shortly after. I'm guessing confidence is a big issue right now.

As always, cheers for the feedback though - the opposition is generally a lot more level headed when it comes to assessing our players than some of our own fans are. ;)
  • Cheers for the view Claret ...an interesting read.
  • Sponsored links:

• At the moment we just can't score
    And for this I do blame Powell
    Simple goals win games
    Simple no goals can't win
    Had choices but took church and sordell
    And let fuller go!

All this talk of Powell letting players go is crap, according to Ric he wanted to stay even to the point of reducing his own wages but TJ still wouldn't pay the money! Ric hung on as long as he could then Blackpool came calling!
    If you want to blame anyone for our lack of quality then point at TJ.
    Chris Powell is trying to polish a turd at the moment and I can see him making way for DiCanio or A N Other if he doesnt get a result in the next 2 games, I hope I'm wrong I really do!
  • Glad I had my first day at work yesterday afternoon in the end! Sounded poor. I scrolled through this thread and barely read any CAFC opinions but stopped when I got to Claretforever. It's interesting that they picked out Stephens and Wilson for praise, two players that are often the whipping boys on here.
  • we weren't 3-0 worse than Burnley, just worse .. they scored 3 very good goals through tough, in form strikers .. our striker (singular) is not especially tough and is not in form .. that's Church
    wrong selection .. too defensive .. it worked until 1/2time .. undone again by a superb cross to Ings
    Gower passed more often straight into touch than to a colleague
    once again, Cousins played well as did Harriott, Stewart, as has been said .. everyone has seen the goal at Hudds .. he looks rather a one trick magician
    Sordell .. spent more time head in hands bemoaning his fate/bad luck than doing anything constructive
    Hamer .. the new Johnny Wilkinson, great 60 yard touch finders
    The defence though conceding 3, played pretty well .. the weakness is in midfield and the attack .. we haven't got one

We are not going to get out of this mess by playing defensively .. 4 4 2 against Forest please, plenty of width ..and Kermorgant, Jackson and Solly .. get well soon chaps .. we need you fit and back on the pitch URGENTLY
  • edited September 2013

Well there you have it a Burnley fan says our number 8 is a decent player,looking to play good balls,but made to look stupid due to players not making runs.Last week Stephens got murdered on here after Millwall, well I remember him hitting a cross field 60 yard ball on to Wiggins toes last week yet people still don't see it, he is a class ball playing midfielder (our only one) yet people what to continuously dig him out.Lambert obviously saw something in him, and he was/is assembling a good young team. We need to assure him/ Sordell they are going to get a run in the team.Believe in them not one bad game and your out for 3 weeks.

He's shite. I too was at the game yesterday and saw absolutely nothing positive from him. As usual. Not singling him out for criticism, nearly the whole team was poor.

But this myth that Stephens is some kind of dynamic, goal-creating and quick passing midfielder is laughable. He is, for the most part, utterly pedestrian.
  • Not going to read the other posts, some done in the immediate aftermath, some more considered I'm sure. However for what it's worth here's mine.
    At the end of the game as our players walked off their faces told a story, they looked at us and we at them. They did not hide, they applauded us. We applauded them, it continued, Powell last in, looked at us until the last moment before he disappeared and he applauded us and we applauded him. It felt to me that those that had remained until that moment were communicating our upset but also our support. I like to think Powell spoke of it in the changing room. There was no jeering, no boos. Just applause.
    As at Huddersfield and yesterday we had an attacking line up that didn't attack until the game was gone. Brief hope flutters for a while but the confidence isn't there. At times we are decent, one move down our left, one touch, direct and purposeful showed we are capable of good attacking football.
    Burnley played us well, drew us in where our lack of confidence slowed us to a walk and then broke with speed and purpose. Their goals were punishment for not making the opposition fear us. They were waiting for our pedestrian possession to break down, we did not make them rush or strain to catch us.
    Our next move must be to escape from the fear of defeat which in itself hampers and constrains us. If we are going to play our way out of trouble ( early as it is, no need for panic yet.) then we must make the opposition fear us. We have always been at our best when we go for it. There is nothing to defend if we have no lead. Go and get the lead and then go again. We won at Sheff Wed and Sheff Utd because we competed and looked to hurt them in the title year.
    We won at Burnley and Blackburn and in the second half at Blackpool last year because we went at them with purpose and made them defend not just wait patiently for us to run out of ideas.
    Church ever industrious needs to play on the back post just like Vokes and Ings did yesterday. Our ball has to fly in at pace to the far post just like Burnley did. With Harriot and Stewart that should be possible. Church should be arriving in the six yard box at pace not trying to run down their defence like the victim of particularly bullying game of piggy in the middle.
    Just a final word, support like the applause at the end of the game is worth a thousand angry posts and shouted scorn.
    A few more away wouldn't hurt either, positivity from us as well as the players counts. Great numbers in and around London mean that a couple of hundred more can get to the Midlands and beyond surely?
  • Not going to read the other posts, some done in the immediate aftermath, some more considered I'm sure. However for what it's worth here's mine.
    At the end of the game as our players walked off their faces told a story, they looked at us and we at them. They did not hide, they applauded us. We applauded them, it continued, Powell last in, looked at us until the last moment before he disappeared and he applauded us and we applauded him. It felt to me that those that had remained until that moment were communicating our upset but also our support. I like to think Powell spoke of it in the changing room. There was no jeering, no boos. Just applause.
    As at Huddersfield and yesterday we had an attacking line up that didn't attack until the game was gone. Brief hope flutters for a while but the confidence isn't there. At times we are decent, one move down our left, one touch, direct and purposeful showed we are capable of good attacking football.
    Burnley played us well, drew us in where our lack of confidence slowed us to a walk and then broke with speed and purpose. Their goals were punishment for not making the opposition fear us. They were waiting for our pedestrian possession to break down, we did not make them rush or strain to catch us.
    Our next move must be to escape from the fear of defeat which in itself hampers and constrains us. If we are going to play our way out of trouble ( early as it is, no need for panic yet.) then we must make the opposition fear us. We have always been at our best when we go for it. There is nothing to defend if we have no lead. Go and get the lead and then go again. We won at Sheff Wed and Sheff Utd because we competed and looked to hurt them in the title year.
    We won at Burnley and Blackburn and in the second half at Blackpool last year because we went at them with purpose and made them defend not just wait patiently for us to run out of ideas.
    Church ever industrious needs to play on the back post just like Vokes and Ings did yesterday. Our ball has to fly in at pace to the far post just like Burnley did. With Harriot and Stewart that should be possible. Church should be arriving in the six yard box at pace not trying to run down their defence like the victim of particularly bullying game of piggy in the middle.
    Just a final word, support like the applause at the end of the game is worth a thousand angry posts and shouted scorn.
    A few more away wouldn't hurt either, positivity from us as well as the players counts. Great numbers in and around London mean that a couple of hundred more can get to the Midlands and beyond surely?

Great post, theeenorth. You have described the end of match interaction between the fans and CP/the team brilliantly.
  • Well there you have it a Burnley fan says our number 8 is a decent player,looking to play good balls,but made to look stupid due to players not making runs.Last week Stephens got murdered on here after Millwall, well I remember him hitting a cross field 60 yard ball on to Wiggins toes last week yet people still don't see it, he is a class ball playing midfielder (our only one) yet people what to continuously dig him out.Lambert obviously saw something in him, and he was/is assembling a good young team. We need to assure him/ Sordell they are going to get a run in the team.Believe in them not one bad game and your out for 3 weeks.

He's shite. I too was at the game yesterday and saw absolutely nothing positive from him. As usual. Not singling him out for criticism, nearly the whole team was poor.

But this myth that Stephens is some kind of dynamic, goal-creating and quick passing midfielder is laughable. He is, for the most part, utterly pedestrian.
    Well my friend you know fcuk all about football !!!

• he played ok against millwall I thought too
  • Our best midfielder on the day.
  • I started off this thread with the first comment, 2 mins after the final whistle it was was not pretty, it was appalling, dire. At the same time I feel a desperate sadness for our players and management team. In our promotion year it felt to me that the board, the management, the players and the supporters were as one, there was a united front, a unity, a togetherness that bought strength, a sense of purpose

To see that breaking down in front if my eyes hurts. I believe in our players and our management, but the perceived actions or inaction of our owners beggars belief after the past two successful seasons.

What is it that they want? What is it that isn't happening in their opinion?

Can they not see that it is they who have demoralised our performances on the pitch?

Sacking CP is not the answer, I applaud his efforts and those of the players to try and get a formation together, but until there is effective leadership and investment, confidence will remain brittle. A victory on Tuesday night would be a start as we have shown vs Leicester and Watford we can deliver, the last three games we sadly haven't.