Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley - Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    not followed game, just in, just found out result. Not read any comments, don't even know starting 11. We are down in the dumps at the moment and feeling sorry for ourselves. The question we need to ask is 'with the current squad could another manager get better results?'. In my honest opinion the answer would be yes. That is not to say I want CP sacked but he needs to learn quickly from past mistakes and the sooner the better. Chopping and changing systems doesn't help and you can't use injuries as an excuse because everyone suffers from them. Find a system that suits us (4-4-2 in my opinion) and stick to it. We have the wide players in the squad (Wilson, Green, Stewart on the right and Harriott, Stewart, Evina on the left) and enough to fill the two central midfield berths although ultimately none are good enough but we can't do much about that. Pick your best two up front from what is available. Stick to this for at least ten games and results will come. Either that or sack CP and give someone else a go.
  • Options

One thing noticeable today was Dyche patrolled his technical area the whole game. Can't say the same for Powell. Not that it would have made any difference but surely he hasn't given up the ghost? Not that I'd blame him, must be soul destroying have Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber in charge. Doomed with Slater and Jiminez at the helm.

He other noticeable thing is that he's had money to spend after Austin sale (1m for Shackell for eg)
  • Options
    Sacking the manager is rarely a sensible solution, and I'd have thought enough of us on here remember the last two relegation seasons that ended with us in tier three with Parky, having paid a big lot of cash to see off Pardew to make this a potentially lethal play.
    Failing new money coming in, we have to hope for the injuries to straighten out, the youngsters to show flair, and CP to learn to use subs and to attack first once in a while. It's going to be a tough season, bit nothing there we did'nt know in the summer.

Good post by Seth Plum by the way, and thanks for the updates.
  • Options
    At the moment we just can't score
    And for this I do blame Powell
    Simple goals win games
    Simple no goals can't win
    Had choices but took church and sordell
    And let fuller go!
  • Options
    He didn't let Fuller go
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

We've lost an away match in the North West.

Not an unknown phenomenon for Charlton Athletic!

The realists amongst us have known all along that this season is about hoping that there are 3 worse teams in the division.

Chris Powell will have done a good job if we finish 21st.

He has a limited pack of cards to shuffle, through no fault of his own, and supporters need to acknowledge that fact and get behind him.

Perfect post, absolutely agree.
  • Options
    Remember theres always someone worse off than you... and there is, bolton and wednesday havnt even won yet.

Sacking powell is not the answer.
  • Options

Simple goals win games
    And let fuller go!

His plan wasn't to score no goals.
  • Options

Just on my way back south. Last week I was angry this week I despair...

We all know the club is in trouble and the problems stem from the board, however, Chris' team selection smacks of desperation, he abandons the 5 across the back which is arguably our best formation away from home in favour of a new formation containing 4 central midfielders! It just didn't work.

It's easy to pick a team from the stands i know, but for Tuesday lets play a simple straight forward 4-4-2 with wingers, we don't have a single player that can play that defense splitting pass so let's get the wingers down the line and get the crosses in for a hopefully fit again Yann to get on the end of.

The negativity around the club at the moment is extremely worrying and I can't see it improving until the current board have moved on...

I wasn't at the game today so can't really comment on it, but this post says it all for me. We have 2 HOME games coming up. Yes they are against 2 of the top 6, but we beaten Leicester this season and walloped Cardiff last season so it can be done. Powell has got to grow some and play an attacking 4-4-2, with Yan & Church up front and Harriott, Stewart, Cousins and JJ (if fit) or Hughes if not, in midfield. Go for it, get on top & score an early goal (we have only scored 2 this season in the first 45 mins) - that gets the crowd going & thus the team.

sorry, but in my mind CP has these 2 games to show his metal - I'm not saying we have to win them, but there has to be a performance or a semblance that he knows what he is doing.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Would like to see Hughes back in, we started getting better with him back in the team last season. Once we get some of these injuries sorted, we'll be all right.

of course, I forget that we are decimated with injuries !!!! (all 2 of them)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We all know the club is in trouble and the problems stem from the board, however, Chris' team selection smacks of desperation, he abandons the 5 across the back which is arguably our best formation away from home in favour of a new formation containing 4 central midfielders! It just didn't work.

It's easy to pick a team from the stands i know, but for Tuesday lets play a simple straight forward 4-4-2 with wingers, we don't have a single player that can play that defense splitting pass so let's get the wingers down the line and get the crosses in for a hopefully fit again Yann to get on the end of.

The negativity around the club at the moment is extremely worrying and I can't see it improving until the current board have moved on...

I wasn't at the game today so can't really comment on it, but this post says it all for me. We have 2 HOME games coming up. Yes they are against 2 of the top 6, but we beaten Leicester this season and walloped Cardiff last season so it can be done. Powell has got to grow some and play an attacking 4-4-2, with Yan & Church up front and Harriott, Stewart, Cousins and JJ (if fit) or Hughes if not, in midfield. Go for it, get on top & score an early goal (we have only scored 2 this season in the first 45 mins) - that gets the crowd going & thus the team.

sorry, but in my mind CP has these 2 games to show his metal - I'm not saying we have to win them, but there has to be a performance or a semblance that he knows what he is doing.
    Actually agree with most of this in terms of formation and selection
  • Options

Actually agree with most of this in terms of formation and selection
    Me too

• Options
    Me too !!
  • Options
    One minute people are saying our midfield is poor. The next minute people are saying 4-4-2 is the way forward. That's one less midfielder in a poor midfield, you do realise this don't you?
  • Options
    best make me manager and Large can be my assistant - don't forget HE has actually won a game at the Valley !!
  • Options
    Forest played a 4-4-2, with a midfield diamond, against Derby today. So we should play 4-4-2 anyway to match up with them....and FFS play man-for-man on Andy Reid this time!
  • Options
    Didn't expect anything today but obviously 2 huge and difficult home games upcoming. Wouldn't like to see it happen but cp has to be in trouble if we get nothing out of them.
  • Options

best make me manager and Large can be my assistant - don't forget HE has actually won a game at the Valley !!

This not so much..
  • Options

One minute people are saying our midfield is poor. The next minute people are saying 4-4-2 is the way forward. That's one less midfielder in a poor midfield, you do realise this don't you?

If the central midfield has two or three in it seems to make no difference. Out wide with Harriott and Stewart could be the answer to actually producing something going forward. Whether that's in a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.
  • Options
    Can't have Church, go Yann and Sordell, put your arm round him , tell him you have faith in him and will give him a run in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Simple goals win games
    And let fuller go!

He didn't let Fuller go.
  • Options
    However much I am wound up with Powell I do not want anyone else in charge and believe he can turn it round. I do believe the reason we are failing at the moment is because of him but just really hope it is him who keeps us up. I do love SCP.
  • Options
    Urrrgh. After seeing us win there last season I avoided this like the plague. Instead saw PSG 2-0 Toulouse, it only cost erm, double what Burnley would have. People whinging about a misplaced pass to Ibrahimovic or whatever, they don't know how lucky they are.
  • Options
    If we play with two wingers and two attackers, who exactly are the two that can take charge and dictate against the opposition? And before anyone says Hughes, I was at Bournemouth!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Urrrgh. After seeing us win there last season I avoided this like the plague. Instead saw PSG 2-0 Toulouse, it only cost erm, double what Burnley would have. People whinging about a misplaced pass to Ibrahimovic or whatever, they don't know how lucky they are.

what was it like? I hate everything about PSG, the ultimate plastic club founded only in 1972.

• Options

RedPanda said:

what was it like? I hate everything about PSG, the ultimate plastic club founded only in 1972.
    It was okay, the atmosphere was better than suspected. They also sing 'Since I was young', or their equivalent.

Alright ground but very expensive. I had planned on Lens or Anderlecht but overall this worked out the best option, and I was gonna tick it off at some point. I did feel a bit guilty when booking, and they really don't need my money (55E ticket, 3.50E a coke etc), but I wanted to see Ibra live and I try to get away a couple of times a year to see something different. Ibra had one of his nothing games but Cavani won a dodgy pen and converted.

Interestingly, I knew they had big infighting between groups a few years ago and I've been told that was all political. They have vocal areas behind both goals and one is apparently left wing, one right wing. The influx of immigrants split people and it came to blows, including a policeman being killed. They gave each other a little clap today after singing together.
  • Options
    Haven't read all the others yet but...

We really weren't awful, but so obviously lacked a genuine threat. Second goal was crucial and once they got it that was that, despite a spirited little flurry. Up against a team with two in-form strikers we offered very little but weren't completely outclassed.

I can see why we tried DS in the hole but it just didn't work; he showed neither the flair nor the appetite to suggest he should appear there again and gave hard-working Church no help whatsoever.

Positives were Wilson's refusal to buckle under quite heavy pressure and Jordan Cousins' ability to control and pass even in tight situations, sometimes created for him by less responsible team-mates. Please don't let his natural self belief ebb away in a poor team during a poor spell. A couple of higher tempo attacks once the subs were on suggested we can still open teams up, but only surfaced one the game was gone and with it any sense of caution.

All in all a routine home win for a team riding on a wave of confidence playing good attractive football under a good manager on a fairly limited budget. Only blemish was Kightley's silly theatrics to get Wilson booked.
  • Options
    Can we keep the PSG stuff to another thread please Ta
  • Options
    sralan said:

You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. The board are not willing or not in aposition to invest, CP having to make do with what scraps he can. Things are far from rosy in the CAFC garden. But today's result was predictable. Like a few others here, the next few games will decide a lot of things. I personally will be totally gutted if CP goes and I cannot see who in their right mind would jump at the vacancy!

Everyone seems to overlook that we have a manager in our midst...Paul Hart...sure he'd jump at the chance....maybe he is here as the 'back up' for whatever might happen
  • Options
    Paddy7 said:

Haven't read all the others yet but...

We really weren't awful, but so obviously lacked a genuine threat. Second goal was crucial and once they got it that was that, despite a spirited little flurry. Up against a team with two in-form strikers we offered very little but weren't completely outclassed.

I can see why we tried DS in the hole but it just didn't work; he showed neither the flair nor the appetite to suggest he should appear there again and gave hard-working Church no help whatsoever.

Positives were Wilson's refusal to buckle under quite heavy pressure and Jordan Cousins' ability to control and pass even in tight situations, sometimes created for him by less responsible team-mates. Please don't let his natural self belief ebb away in a poor team during a poor spell. A couple of higher tempo attacks once the subs were on suggested we can still open teams up, but only surfaced one the game was gone and with it any sense of caution.

All in all a routine home win for a team riding on a wave of confidence playing good attractive football under a good manager on a fairly limited budget. Only blemish was Kightley's silly theatrics to get Wilson booked.

Thank you for that. It adds some much needed perspective.