Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton terrace legends. Where are they now ?

Comments

• Options
    markmc68 said:
    What was the story behind the fat oxford boy? First bumped into him in oxford when walking along the high street and all of a sudden this ginger bloke walked across the road and said boys I'm Charlton. I'm trying to get a firm of Charlton together. He pointed to a pub and said everyone is in there. Went in and sure enough there was Charlton everywhere. Walked to the ground via the high street and the looting began. A new state of the art Sony Walkman from currys was going back to London with me. That Jason stallon was a proper tea leaf. The year after one of the twins mates lost an eye outside the culture vulture pub when a nasty firm of locals all tooled up met head on after oxford boy had arranged a meet. At the time and after I still believed he was well in with their chaps. What about blonde Danny the boxer. What happened to him ? Those were the days.
    Vaguely remember a ginger haired lad from Oxford seem to remember him tagging along with us on a few occasions would of been early 80's. 
    It sounds like the same bloke I bumped into in Lincoln for a pre-season friendly around ´88, he was a bit iffy.
  • Options
    Said this on another thread. 

Oxford as we called him got taken ill at the Coventry away game in which Gritt took over in goal.

Bit of a drama got taken around pitch and down the tunnel by St Johns medical staff.
    Little while later came out of tunnel dancing and waving at away supporters.

He was also the fat guy that eat the pies at Man Utd quarter final fa cup match and was featured in many a paper.
    I seem to remember him jumping off the stretcher before he went down the tunnel and ran back to the away end 
  • Options
    Great to read this thread again 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Reminds me of a Friday night game coming home from Southend. Brilliant night out coming back through the city.
    remember it well ;-) The huge City of London waste bin.....oooer.    

—————————

Met up with a few old mates from Cherry Orchard a couple of weeks back … the Southend night was remembered well 😂
  • Options
    I saw Keith Giles mentioned on an earlier post.

I think I mentioned on here before, but he was my first ever football coach. Villacourt Rovers U8's - we trained at De Lucy primary school in Abbey Wood. 

I saw him a few years later in action against Southampton at London Bridge. 

Keithy Giles was a football coach ? :D:D:D Hard to believe
  • Options
    In the Selhurst days, our spot was the supermarket end. With Clive Steel and his dad, my dad, Don Moore plus Mike and his brother.
    Standing behind us, up against the supermarket wall was a guy, late 20,s.

We used to call him ‘forward’s ‘ cos he was like a broken record, continually demanding the team to pass forward’s.

Wonder if he’s still around?

Nowadays that’s me incoherently demanding our team pass forwards instead of habitually passing sideways and backwards!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    Reminds me of a Friday night game coming home from Southend. Brilliant night out coming back through the city.

—————————

Met up with a few old mates from Cherry Orchard a couple of weeks back … the Southend night was remembered well 😂
    I remember that well.
  • Options
    I saw Keith Giles mentioned on an earlier post.

I think I mentioned on here before, but he was my first ever football coach. Villacourt Rovers U8's - we trained at De Lucy primary school in Abbey Wood. 

I saw him a few years later in action against Southampton at London Bridge. 

Keithy Giles was a football coach ? :D:D:D Hard to believe
    Last time we see Keith he was a steward at Derby County. The 2-2 draw in premiership.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Remember Dennis going mental at Burnley when we lost 7.1. He was down the front freaking out near the fences after we had someone sent off. Think it was Hales and either McAlister or Aizlewood who saw red that day. Dennis is our leader lol..........I can hear it in my mind now lol! Quality!
    I remember him telling a copper that his dog stinks......just like the ref, seen Charlton concede 7 twice, at Burnley and Brighton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not terrace, but onliner .. where is @ricky_otto ??
  • Options
    not terrace, but onliner .. where is @ricky_otto ??
    Not been on here for a while but spoke to him last month and he's ok (still a twat though)!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Acab said:
    Superdulvertonred asked about big Kev Croydon. He sadly died back in the eighties. Mog, Gary will be in the Lib Sat with me, Big Brother. I still travel home and away with quite a few mentioned on here already e.g.. Dicky Lukes, Steve and Mick Rogers from Orpington , Welchy, Bradley, Dave Greenhill, Big Kev Hopkins, Andy Wallace, Aubrey, NO mention yet of Jimmy Jarrett. Big turnout at his funeral a few years back. And more recently THE CAPTAIN. Billy Martin Still goes.Hasnt missed a home game of any sort since Dec 69. Does anyone remember Bomber. He was a steward during prem days. Back in the 60s and 70s I used to go to many away games with Kelvin Cook, Turncoat Tom the Head who became a spanner, Chrissie Barber, Graham Ellis. The last time I saw Keithy Giles was at Derby years ago, he was a steward there.
    Reading this takes me back remember most of these Kev Croydon always remember his scarf was full of badges of away teams he went to kev Hopkins always there with his brother brilliant days home & away 
    Can't remember what game it was but always remember Dave Jenkins with his mate holding a flag on the goal line while the game was going on I am even sure he cleared one off the line ha
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Acab said:
    Superdulvertonred asked about big Kev Croydon. He sadly died back in the eighties. Mog, Gary will be in the Lib Sat with me, Big Brother. I still travel home and away with quite a few mentioned on here already e.g.. Dicky Lukes, Steve and Mick Rogers from Orpington , Welchy, Bradley, Dave Greenhill, Big Kev Hopkins, Andy Wallace, Aubrey, NO mention yet of Jimmy Jarrett. Big turnout at his funeral a few years back. And more recently THE CAPTAIN. Billy Martin Still goes.Hasnt missed a home game of any sort since Dec 69. Does anyone remember Bomber. He was a steward during prem days. Back in the 60s and 70s I used to go to many away games with Kelvin Cook, Turncoat Tom the Head who became a spanner, Chrissie Barber, Graham Ellis. The last time I saw Keithy Giles was at Derby years ago, he was a steward there.
    Reading this takes me back remember most of these Kev Croydon always remember his scarf was full of badges of away teams he went to kev Hopkins always there with his brother brilliant days home & away 
    Can't remember what game it was but always remember Dave Jenkins with his mate holding a flag on the goal line while the game was going on I am even sure he cleared one off the line ha
    Had a drink with Dave Jenkins about 6 weeks ago.
    He's 70 now.
    How time flies. 
  • Options
    Reading away 80-81 (promotion season) was fun.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Wellred said:
    Acab said:
    He's 70 now.
    How time flies. 
    It does not seen him for years don't think he still goes to games anymore is he still in Greenwich? If so what pub does he use as I would like to have a pint  & a catch up with him had some real good times with him over the years especially away games 

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Acab said:
    He's 70 now.
    How time flies. 
    It does not seen him for years don't think he still goes to games anymore is he still in Greenwich? If so what pub does he use as I would like to have a pint  & a catch up with him had some real good times with him over the years especially away games 

About 30 of us all met up for a drink in Blackheath about 6 or 7 weeks ago. 
    Dave was there, 1st time I'd seen him since captains funeral. 
    Several on here were there hopefully they can tell you where he now drinks.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Acab said:
    He's 70 now.
    How time flies. 

Cheers Blackpool 
  • Options
    Reading away Pre-season 1976 definitely wasn’t fun 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    Acab said:
    He's 70 now.
    How time flies. 

Was that a G-mob meet @blackpool72 as in geriatric
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Acab said:
    He's 70 now.
    How time flies. 
    Blimey he’s even older than me lol

How is he? 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Wellred said:
    Acab said:
    He's 70 now.
    How time flies. 
    Blimey he’s even older than me lol

How is he? 
    Had some problems with his back and was having a moan.
    Other than that he's fine. 
  • Options
    markmc68 said:
    What was the story behind the fat oxford boy? First bumped into him in oxford when walking along the high street and all of a sudden this ginger bloke walked across the road and said boys I'm Charlton. I'm trying to get a firm of Charlton together. He pointed to a pub and said everyone is in there. Went in and sure enough there was Charlton everywhere. Walked to the ground via the high street and the looting began. A new state of the art Sony Walkman from currys was going back to London with me. That Jason stallon was a proper tea leaf. The year after one of the twins mates lost an eye outside the culture vulture pub when a nasty firm of locals all tooled up met head on after oxford boy had arranged a meet. At the time and after I still believed he was well in with their chaps. What about blonde Danny the boxer. What happened to him ? Those were the days.
    Vaguely remember a ginger haired lad from Oxford seem to remember him tagging along with us on a few occasions would have been early 80's. 
    He was still around early 90's. Could never really make him out. I'm sure I read somewhere long ago he actually supported another team. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Certainly wasn't. Getting chased all over the shop. Friendly 😳
  • Options
    I did update this elsewhere, but Denis Burgess is now back regularly at the Valley. He needed to care for his elderly mother when this thread started.
  • Options
    I've probably mentioned it before but does anyone remember the bloke with the huge scar on his neck. I bumped into him many a time and he was often as drunk as a skunk and in the thick of things if it went off. Talking to him at Bristol City away, the cup game in 94 on the way in and he said he got the scar from a Stanley attack in Manchester. Seemed a decent sort, I wonder if he is still around. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    TEL said:

—————————

One of those you won't forget. Bloody crazy night that one. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Can't say I was at that one.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    I've probably mentioned it before but does anyone remember the bloke with the huge scar on his neck. I bumped into him many a time and he was often as drunk as a skunk and in the thick of things if it went off. Talking to him at Bristol City away, the cup game in 94 on the way in and he said he got the scar from a Stanley attack in Manchester. Seemed a decent sort, I wonder if he is still around. 
    I don't recall the gentlemen myself, but from your description in bold, you're conclusion that he "Seemed a decent sort" didn't seem to naturally follow on. Salt of the earth no doubt. An unfortunate happen chance that someone tried to slit his throat. He might post on here of course, in which case, I agree, a thoroughly nice bloke 🤣