Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton terrace legends. Where are they now ?

Comments

• Options
    Welling lads circa 73 to 80, Will "Irish" Sullivan, Clive "Beaky" Smith, Lee "Devon Mansions" Deverson, Peter "Pop" Robson, Mark "Ginger" Aldridge, Trevor Lee, Kenny Martin, Steve Osbourne, Jeff Reilly to name a few. Lee in particular was a good bloke, we always covered each others backs. Happy days. Clive was the joker of the pack, he had these huge heavy duty steel cappers nothing like DM's painted bright red. Mark was unlucky to get nicked at the Southampton 6-2 game. Trev I think went over to the dark side after he became involved with the Skins with John Mace another lad I went to school with. We had a short lived season or two with Covered End Clan tee shirts.... Lol
  • Options
    TEL said:

Rob said:

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

Before my time but I would have loved to have been at Highbury that day. Were there really 17,000 Charlton over there?

Can't be sure how many, but it was a few thousand ...and we stayed in the North Bank the entire game. I was only a kid but felt pretty safe with the mob we had there.
    Out sung the Arsenal by a country mile. Pulled of all the hand hangers in the tube to use as coshes...remember black Les testing his on my head.

I was a 16 year old on the North Bank. Pretty epic. That and the previous round when we beat Palace 2-0 at Selhurst on a Tuesday night. Two epic away games.
    I remember the train from Shithurst Park was wrecked, then for some reason it was decided we'd walk over London Bridge to the City as the streets were empty and our singing would sound awesome (which it did) but after little Ray chucked a metal tripod through a crane window on the bridge, we were running from old bill for the rest of the night. Can't believe it now as I'm very well behaved.
    Reminds me of a Friday night game coming home from Southend. Brilliant night out coming back through the city.
    remember it well ;-)
  • Options
    Reminds me of a Friday night game coming home from Southend. Brilliant night out coming back through the city.

remember it well ;-)

The huge City of London waste bin.....oooer.

• Options

Was that the same day of the smoke granade thrown at us at White city tube?

That was CS gas by Chelsea, season after the battle of Stamford Bridge, someone on here got it full in the face if I remember as he was one of the first on the platform.
  • Options
    SE9 said:

let me say your a terrace legend SE9

Cheers Steve ;-)
    You are to me and my mates for that skinny dip in the Norwich canal side pub on St George's Day.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

SE9 said:

Cheers Steve ;-)
    You are to me and my mates for that skinny dip in the Norwich canal side pub on St George's Day.

That was a fair drop down! I think the pub is/was called The Complete Angler?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It was I just googled it. A great day out that!
    Even funnier about that story me and Eltham Addick were chatting about the incident in the Con club a few years later cracking up telling someone the story bout the idiot that jumped in the canal when a voice piped up behind and said "that was me".
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Even funnier about that story me and Eltham Addick were chatting about the incident in the Con club a few years later cracking up telling someone the story bout the idiot that jumped in the canal when a voice piped up behind and said "that was me".

It was a great day out in the sun! I'm sure the skinny dipper got chucked out of the game later, the lucky sod - it was so boring! The coppers were filming all the action as well.
  • Options
    The football was the worse part of the day. I think one or two from on here got thrown out that day.
  • Options
    remember that well @Curb_it, both the day and the recollection in the Con Club...that weekend in Narwich (football aside) was one of the funniest I've had
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe it was 8 1/2 years ago. SE9s jump in the river was very funny.

Just looked back at a couple of Suzi Sausages pics from that day. I look more than 8 1/2 years younger :-(
  • Options
    And me too Dan, that picture of me and Sue next to it... i have slight cheekbones.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

As my wife said when he got out "it must be cold in that water"

This was also her first and last away game. Said she'd never seen me so drunk.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

The football was the worse part of the day. I think one or two from on here got thrown out that day.

Was this the 2-2 draw, last minute equaliser from Naaaarwich?
  • Options
    Ah. I wouldnt actually know the football part!
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Curb_It said:

No, year or two before that one. The 2005 one above was on SGD

• Options

DA9 said:

Curb_It said:

No, year or two before that one. The 2005 one above was on SGD

I remember now, I was in Dartford at the bikers pub as Trax had been torched allegedly by red action/commies.
  • Options
    Norwich away...1996 (1-0 to us) was pretty lively, well it was in the away pub afterwards.
  • Options

Norwich away...1996 (1-0 to us) was pretty lively, well it was in the away pub afterwards.

Was this the one when a Charlton lad had his mouth split open? About 5 years ago I was at work with a Charlton hat on this steel fixer sees my hat and starts asking me questions about Charlton. It turned out he was in the pub that day he was the one with the villa badge on that was mentioned in a book. He said Charlton took them by surprise that day and they had picked on the wrong set of lads. All the lads that he worked with all said what a nutter he was and that he was a big face in Norwich. He said he was ment to be taking his old women out that night but ended up banged up. He ended up put away for something else and while in prison he bumped into one of the Charlton boys where they had a laugh about what happend in the pub that day. I have seen him on a few different jobs now and always comes over for a chat right nice bloke. Lol
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

SE9 said:

Cheers Steve ;-)

;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

DF?
  • Options
    fog horn said:

Was this the one when a Charlton lad had his mouth split open? About 5 years ago I was at work with a Charlton hat on this steel fixer sees my hat and starts asking me questions about Charlton. It turned out he was in the pub that day he was the one with the villa badge on that was mentioned in a book. He said Charlton took them by surprise that day and they had picked on the wrong set of lads. All the lads that he worked with all said what a nutter he was and that he was a big face in Norwich. He said he was ment to be taking his old women out that night but ended up banged up. He ended up put away for something else and while in prison he bumped into one of the Charlton boys where they had a laugh about what happend in the pub that day. I have seen him on a few different jobs now and always comes over for a chat right nice bloke. Lol
    Not to sure about that. Myself and my wife along with a mate were in the 'away' pub after the game, my mate was up there for the day and we were there for the weekend. Some Norwich lads came in about 30 mins after the game had finished and decided to have a go at few lads that were just watching the results come in (these lads weren't the types that wanted any trouble). However there were say 6/7 lads (Charlton) who were playing pool at the time and decided they wern't having any of it and 'stuck up' for the others, the Norwich lads soon retreated out of the pub.
  • Options
    fog horn said:

Yes, lad called Dave had his mouth split as they kicked him as he was sat down (very brave)
    The Villa lad, he had long hair at the time, he got cornered behind a fruit machine and took a hiding, in fact, if memory serves, he was one of them that threw a table, and one of ours caught it in one hand and threw it back, their attitude changed then, they tried to get out of the pub as it came on top, but a few of ours were outside and anyone who came through the door got punched back inside for punishment.
    It only stopped when the landlord came down with a shotgun, that focused everyones minds, 3 or 4 Charlton went to court, all got found not guilty. A few facts, Charlton didnt start it, only in there to watch final score, OB outside told us that they knew this lot were in there as we walked in, we asked why did they let us go in, their response "We knew you would do them", and one of them was up for recently stabbing or beating a copper up, and they wanted him to get hurt., also that they had been pulling this trick for a few seasons on small groups and were basically bullies.
    Also, the judge threw the whole thing out for Charlton lads, as one of the Norwich lads admitted in court "Yes, we started it, but Charlton went over the top in their response" Unbelievable!!!!
    The next time we played them at The Valley, Charlton had a good 60-80 in the East Stand, OB got word to the Norwich firm to not bother after the game as they couldnt live with what we had waiting for them...told to us by Norwich OB at half time.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

fog horn said:

Yes, lad called Dave had his mouth split as they kicked him as he was sat down (very brave)
    The Villa lad, he had long hair at the time, he got cornered behind a fruit machine and took a hiding, in fact, if memory serves, he was one of them that threw a table, and one of ours caught it in one hand and threw it back, their attitude changed then, they tried to get out of the pub as it came on top, but a few of ours were outside and anyone who came through the door got punched back inside for punishment.
    It only stopped when the landlord came down with a shotgun, that focused everyones minds, 3 or 4 Charlton went to court, all got found not guilty. A few facts, Charlton didnt start it, only in there to watch final score, OB outside told us that they knew this lot were in there as we walked in, we asked why did they let us go in, their response "We knew you would do them", and one of them was up for recently stabbing or beating a copper up, and they wanted him to get hurt., also that they had been pulling this trick for a few seasons on small groups and were basically bullies.
    Also, the judge threw the whole thing out for Charlton lads, as one of the Norwich lads admitted in court "Yes, we started it, but Charlton went over the top in their response" Unbelievable!!!!
    The next time we played them at The Valley, Charlton had a good 60-80 in the East Stand, OB got word to the Norwich firm to not bother after the game as they couldnt live with what we had waiting for them...told to us by Norwich OB at half time.
    DA9 What was the name of that pub, and is it still there?
  • Options

DA9 said:

fog horn said:

Like it "Charlton went over the top", mind I wasn't to happy having to protect the wife (and my mate) from flying pool balls and bits of furniture etc.....we did see those Norwich lads later some were nursing wounds, got a bit concerned at the time in cased they saw/recognised us but I don't think they were in the mood for any more 'hassle'.
  • Options

DA9 said:

fog horn said:

All I remember was that it was pink!!!
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

fog horn said:

Fair enough, I reckon it got knocked down with all the new development up there.
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

fog horn said:

Fair enough, I reckon it got knocked down with all the new development up there.
    It has, it was called the Clarence.
  • Options
    Sean Casey, doesn't go to games these days but I still bump into some of his old mates from the Crayford/Dartford area.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Sean Casey, doesn't go to games these days but I still bump into some of his old mates from the Crayford/Dartford area.

Blimey, Sean Casey. Old Crayford/St Stephens boy. Used to lead a lot of the singing at the Valley if I remember correctly in the early 1970s.