Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton terrace legends. Where are they now ?

Comments

• Options
    DA9 said:

Seem to remember a load going to Gillingham the last time, was a bit of an older get together. There's a picture knocking around on the casual state of mind page on FB. Think the pub was the Farmhouse?

It was the Britton Farmhouse, closed now, my mate was running it at the time, in fact me & Port Vale Neil went behind the jump to help serve as it was rammed in there.
    A fair amount of Elvis played on the juke box for the few hours before the game - and some Mull of Kintyre of course.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

markmc68 said:

It seems that looting was the norm in those days. The shops at Fulham and orient used to get ransacked. If the shops had an outdoor display it was common to come home with a free dustpan and brush or something similar. The sweet shops were raided en mass.

Not only sweet shops but jewellers too. Anybody remember the Holloway Road incident, not sure where we were all going. Probably about 67/68

Arsenal FA Cup 68/69 season, jewellers, off licence, clothes stores. Leicester coach on the way to scumwall attacked. All in the North bank fighting most of the game but we stood our ground & took it to 'em. Fucking sweet shops ;-) ha ha
    Coin hit me between the eyes...got home to see myself on TV being led round the pitch to the first aid post.

• Options
    markmc68 said:

I would say Chelsea away was the best turnout. Bristol city away in the cup. Coventry away on cup was good.

Hughie Barr nutting the guy who talked too much...class.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

Before my time but I would have loved to have been at Highbury that day. Were there really 17,000 Charlton over there?

Can't be sure how many, but it was a few thousand ...and we stayed in the North Bank the entire game. I was only a kid but felt pretty safe with the mob we had there.
    Out sung the Arsenal by a country mile. Pulled of all the hand hangers in the tube to use as coshes...remember black Les testing his on my head.

• Options
    SE9 said:

markmc68 said:

So se9. As you got one more mention than myself does that mean you are sorting out the old boys reunion lol

Lol, me sorting the old boys reunion out? I am not as old you lot yet ;-)

your old man gave me a call yesterday about this thread ... had been told his name was on here ... we should get him to arrange it ;-)
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

So as the song goes.
    We took the north bank highbury.
    Did we ?

|Yes.

• Options

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

Before my time but I would have loved to have been at Highbury that day. Were there really 17,000 Charlton over there?

Can't be sure how many, but it was a few thousand ...and we stayed in the North Bank the entire game. I was only a kid but felt pretty safe with the mob we had there.
    Out sung the Arsenal by a country mile. Pulled of all the hand hangers in the tube to use as coshes...remember black Les testing his on my head.

Have you recovered? :-)
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

SE9 said:

markmc68 said:

So se9. As you got one more mention than myself does that mean you are sorting out the old boys reunion lol

Lol, me sorting the old boys reunion out? I am not as old you lot yet ;-)

your old man gave me a call yesterday about this thread ... had been told his name was on here ... we should get him to arrange it ;-)
    Ha Ha, Tell him to get things started ;-)

• Options
    Carlisle away about 87.
    Hard core went to Blackpool after match. What a night. It had everything.
    Promotion celebration party in bananas.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

Have you recovered? :-)
    Nope...I've been completely off the wall since that day :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2013
    markmc68 said:

Carlisle away about 87.

What a night indeed. Been mentioned on here several times but always worth remembering.

Woke up at Birmingham around 5 in the morning, cuddling a bucket of sick.
  • Options
    I pulled a bird from Ilkeston
    Getting on like a house on fire in bananas. Should have seen her face when all Charlton personnel were summoned to something more important going on outside. I told her that I was sorry. Was always good in those days knowing that Duncan disorderly RIP was in your company.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Too young really to gauge it myself......but I do recall reading it somewhere in the dim and distant. I was in the seats and spent as much time watching the fighting as the game. One of my Uncles was on the Northbank.

I was a 16 year old on the North Bank. Pretty epic. That and the previous round when we beat Palace 2-0 at Selhurst on a Tuesday night. Two epic away games.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

Black Les. Now that's one for the memory banks. He was actually a Spurs fan I seem to remember but had a soft spot for Charlton and was always up for a ruck.
  • Options
    Rob said:

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

Black Les. Now that's one for the memory banks. He was actually a Spurs fan I seem to remember but had a soft spot for Charlton and was always up for a ruck.
    A bit like Chris Powell
  • Options
    Rob said:

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

Great bloke, the sort you'd want on your side, and not the oppos.
  • Options
    Message for viewfinder.
    Your peroxide blonde woman was spotted in bartrams on Saturday sporting a brown rinse. tattoos piercings and pork pie hat. I did chuckle. She still looks the same as she did 30 years ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Rob said:

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

I was a 16 year old on the North Bank. Pretty epic. That and the previous round when we beat Palace 2-0 at Selhurst on a Tuesday night. Two epic away games.
    I remember the train from Shithurst Park was wrecked, then for some reason it was decided we'd walk over London Bridge to the City as the streets were empty and our singing would sound awesome (which it did) but after little Ray chucked a metal tripod through a crane window on the bridge, we were running from old bill for the rest of the night. Can't believe it now as I'm very well behaved.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Message for viewfinder.
    Your peroxide blonde woman was spotted in bartrams on Saturday sporting a brown rinse. tattoos piercings and pork pie hat. I did chuckle. She still looks the same as she did 30 years ago.

Excellent! Remember to put in a good word for me.

• Options
    Quiet in here today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OAP 1/2 price day at B&Q
  • Options

OAP 1/2 price day at B&Q

Wednesdays mate :-)
  • Options

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

And Matt Tees skinning alive scottish international Ian Ure .
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Carlisle away about 87.

Funnily enough they never allowed me to book a coach for a family wedding trip again after that.
  • Options
    Was that the coach with the massive black geezer driving?
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Was that the coach with the massive black geezer driving?

Yes, Mr T. As it was kicking off after the club he simply said "give them a slap and get on the f**king coach"
  • Options

Rob said:

stonemuse said:

E-cafc said:

I remember the train from Shithurst Park was wrecked, then for some reason it was decided we'd walk over London Bridge to the City as the streets were empty and our singing would sound awesome (which it did) but after little Ray chucked a metal tripod through a crane window on the bridge, we were running from old bill for the rest of the night. Can't believe it now as I'm very well behaved.
    Reminds me of a Friday night game coming home from Southend. Brilliant night out coming back through the city.
  • Options
    Yeah. We sustained a couple of injuries up the promenade and didn't we drive into the local hospital and then drove straight back out under mr t's guidance.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Yeah. We sustained a couple of injuries up the promenade and didn't we drive into the local hospital and then drove straight back out under mr t's guidance.

Where's Kennth Williams when you need him!!
  • Options
    Awe matron