Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton terrace legends. Where are they now ?

Comments

• Options
    My favourite Dennis moment was coming out of a particularly bruising game against Port Vale, he loudly proclaimed they were "More like pigs than humans!"
  • Options
    So who else we got out there that everyone would know.
  • Options

markmc68 said:

How about old Jean. Is she still about. She was old in the 1980s. Could never put an age on her.

Unfortunately Jean died a number of years ago, she came from Middle Park and I was in the same year as her younger brother.
    Are you sure about Jean? The reason I ask is that a little old lady called jean still goes and she has been going for years? She is about 4foot nothing and walks with a stick.

The Maltese man still goes and be seen sitting by the players tunnel from time to time
  • Options
    Remember Dennis going mental at Burnley when we lost 7.1. He was down the front freaking out near the fences after we had someone sent off. Think it was Hales and either McAlister or Aizlewood who saw red that day. Dennis is our leader lol..........I can hear it in my mind now lol! Quality!
  • Options
    Not quite as old but there was a kid in the early Premiership years who used to sit in the north lower. Guessing his name was Neil. He would sit there saying sing super Neil, then start singing it. He was pretty regular for a season or so then just vanished
  • Options
    Isn't Dennis on telly these days as that Greek comedian?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Other people who are well known, what about black Freddie with the glasses who used to go in the Covered End in the 70`s and 80`s and was always dancing down at Spooks and Fortys in days after that? What a great character and Stormin Norman as well? Superb!
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

markmc68 said:

How about old Jean. Is she still about. She was old in the 1980s. Could never put an age on her.

Unfortunately Jean died a number of years ago, she came from Middle Park and I was in the same year as her younger brother.
    Are you sure about Jean? The reason I ask is that a little old lady called jean still goes and she has been going for years? She is about 4foot nothing and walks with a stick
    </

That is Jean Tindall. Yes she still goes, gotta be at least 75 now.

• Options
    Cheers large
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Did the older fella go to games with his crash helmet ?

yep he'd have it with him all the time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember Dennis and the song 'Dennis is our leader.' I was a little in awe of him actually and had a perceived image of him as the Messianic Charlton fan, and I used to tell my friends at school about him. I remember my best friend drawing him from a description I gave rather like a photofit on Crimewatch, and this made him take on a mystical air.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

markmc68 said:

Are you sure about Jean? The reason I ask is that a little old lady called jean still goes and she has been going for years? She is about 4foot nothing and walks with a stick
    There are 2 Jeans being talked of here, I believe.

Jean Tindall is very petite , with white curly hair, stewarded coaches from Bromley and has been very ill this season.

The other Jean is also small but not petite- a round lady! She does walk with a stick and I saw her in Bartrams at the end of last season. To my knowledge she was only bonkers about Colin Walsh and used to make sure she was as close to the tunnel at the Boleyn when he came onto the pitch during our sojourn there. I remember pointing to Steve Walsh when we played Leicester, and saying "He's Colin's brother, you know " !

• Options
    edited September 2013
    x
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

markmc68 said:

Are you sure about Jean? The reason I ask is that a little old lady called jean still goes and she has been going for years? She is about 4foot nothing and walks with a stick.

The Maltese man still goes and be seen sitting by the players tunnel from time to time
    I'm pretty sure, I could certainly find out.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    <Do you mean Karen ?

C'est moi unless there were two of us :-)
  • Options

TEL said:

I remember Denis from the mid 70's funny bloke, we always had a laugh with him and he loved the "Denis is our leader" Chant. Still cant recall the guy who was always going off in the covered end....stocky guy about 5.10 dark curly hair and a bit of a wonky eye...always in the thick of things when it kicked off...."borrowed" my mates new Charlton mug to smack a Preston fan with.

I know who you mean with the wonky eye Tel, good looking bloke!, Kevin Kavanagh something like that.

Could well be...he was always around early seventies until mid 80's......bit of a lunatic :-)

• Options
    Have asked this before, I remember a bloke called Peter Fern who lived in Mottingham late 60,s. Used to go to the away end and a Charlton scarf would suddenly appear in amongst a sea of blue or whoever we were playing. Fearless bloke.
  • Options
    @ out of everyone. They would taunt the peanut man as he would trudge the south stand selling bags of monkey nuts. Working out the half time scores on the abc board that were placed around the pitch. Football was so simple in those days.
  • Options
    Dockers? have you got the right ground?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In those days. It was common for the lighter men to do millwall one week Charlton the next. My uncle would go anywhere for a beer and a game of football. It's only now I'm older that I realise how drunk he was driving us to Charlton
  • Options
    Yes but,......i don't think any of the Charlton terrace legends were doing that, if they were recognised by Millwall it could be very unpleasant. I Know.
  • Options
    They all used to work with one and other. When I was in my teens it was safer for me to go millwall away matches with my mates than it was to go and stand in the Charlton end.
  • Options
    It's only in recent years that Charlton have got brave. 70s and 80s forget it. I also lived off the old Kent road but thanks to my uncle I saw the light.
  • Options
    You're sounding more and more like a spanner.
  • Options
    Yeah thanks for that. I'm quite offended at that comment. Lol
  • Options
    I started going in about 65 with my uncle who was a docker and we stood with a load of his mates who were also dockers. I had three other Uncle's who also worked in the docks who were avid Spanners and certainly never came to Charlton. Just glad that it was my Charlton supporting Uncle took me and I became "addicked" ever since. My Nan and Grandad used to live in Sundourne Road and during the school holidays used to watch the team train on the gravel pitch behind the stand or on the Valley pitch on Fridays going through set pieces for the weekend. Happy days! And talking of old terrace legends will always remember Dennis but also a big lump called Kevin Croydon who was always up for a row. Seem to remember him working in Ray's newsagents near the Cutty Sark in Greenwich.
  • Options

Thanks Mark for doing this thread ,it has cheered me up.

Helps make me remember Charlton is about the characters you grow up with as much as the players.
  • Options
    I used to live in grove park and I saw Denis walking past my window. I was trying to explain to my mrs about this fella. As I was telling her stories about him. I was wetting myself with laughter. She thought I'd gone mad. I remember thinking that at matches if you stood near him there would be some excitement of some sort.
  • Options
    The players come and go the supporters don't. I was the only Charlton fan in my school. Did I get some stick.