Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British Gas raising prices this winter.

Comments

• Options

That's now on the Xmas wish list.

Yes, they hate everyone but they really hate him cos he proved them wrong.

Try EF Schumacher's "A Guide For The Perplexed". You'll be a new man Henry.
    A new hippy more like
  • Options

PeanutsMolloy Member
    10:14AM

Henry Irving said:

That's now on the Xmas wish list.

Yes, they hate everyone but they really hate him cos he proved them wrong.

Try EF Schumacher's "A Guide For The Perplexed". You'll be a new man Henry.

And, you give us the Grand National winner most years, Peanuts.

I doff my hat to you sir.

You're too kind Chief.....actually, it seems to be the GN 2nd most recently but I'm working on it.
  • Options

I have no idea if fracking would be a good idea so in these situations I always ask myself

"What would Darwin had done?"

Unfortunately as the answer is walk about his garden a lot and then delay publishing the most important book of the past two centuries for decades this doesn't really help much.

: - )

Hayek's "The Road To Serfdom" for me.......closely followed by De Botton's "How Proust Can Change Your Life" ;o)

But Darwin re-invented the way we see the world and ourselves and all from a house in Bromley)
    So he was palace then?
  • Options

I have no idea if fracking would be a good idea so in these situations I always ask myself

Unfortunately as the answer is walk about his garden a lot and then delay publishing the most important book of the past two centuries for decades this doesn't really help much.

Hayek's "The Road To Serfdom" for me.......closely followed by De Botton's "How Proust Can Change Your Life" ;o)

But Darwin re-invented the way we see the world and ourselves and all from a house in Bromley.
    Stop trying to claim Darwin as a Bromley lad, He was more Down ;-)
  • Options
    cut the chit chat, so who is currently offering the best deals for a standard family household ??
  • Options

cut the chit chat, so who is currently offering the best deals for a standard family household ??

Scottish Power are doing fixed price deals, so have a look there
  • Options

But Darwin re-invented the way we see the world and ourselves and all from a house in Bromley.
    Downe is in Bromley : - )

But Darwin re-invented the way we see the world and ourselves and all from a house in Bromley)
    So he was palace then?
    Died long before they existed. Bromley FC boy

• Options

Downe is in Bromley : - )

So he was palace then?
    Died long before they existed. Bromley FC boy

How do you know they didn't evolve from the Bromley & District Crown Green Bowls team?

All we need is that missing link from bowls to balls.
  • Options

I switched a year or so ago from BG and Npower to a small company called OVO. My bills went down by about 50%. Dunno if they are the cheapest though.

• Options

Most likely someone German : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

First Utility - fix till March 2015
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Shale Gas Fracking is a huge talking point in my industry at the moment and could potentially provide a realtively new form of energy at a lower cost than other sources. However, it is early days at the moment to talk of large scale savings being achieved in the short to mid term as a result of fracking activities in the UK.

There are several risks associated with horizontal drilling which cannot be fully evaluated until further exploratory work is done. I would not advocate large scale schemes being authorised until more research is done. This avenue of energy needs time.

People will have seen the small "bump" in Blackpool and its attribution to shale gas fracking. The connection of the "bump" to fracking is not definitively evidenced by any means, but it seems too much of a co-incidence to be unrelated.

However, most agents in the energy sector see contamination and pollution as a far bigger risk than geological effects. By conducting large scale schemes of horizontal drilling using highly toxic chemicals in the fracking process, the industry does expose itself to risk of contamination of the water supply. This is especially prevelant when the proposed shale field is located near to a large conurbation.

However, the recent conclusions of the British Geological Survey report mark another step forward for the shale gas industry. The report identifies a larger volume of potentially exploitable shale gas within the north of England than previously thought, with as much as 1,300 trillion cubic feet at the Bowland site in Lancashire. Whilst the report does not detail how much of these reserves are exploitable, the confirmation of such significant volumes raises the potential commercial value of the UK shale gas industry, making entry into it more attractive.

The Government will also be incentivising entry into the industry through the taxation benefits previously announced under the 2013 Budget. Alongside the announcement of the report, the Government has confirmed they will begin consulting on the extent of the incentives it will be offering to those involved in the exploitation of shale gas within the coming weeks. In the recent Spending Review presented before Parliament, George Osborne said it was the Government’s intention to “make the tax and planning changes which will put Britain at the forefront of exploiting shale gas…We will provide our country with the energy of the future at a price we can afford”. The consultation document highlights the following measures:

• allowing the Environment Agency to offer permits on an expedited basis;

• guidance clarifying the interaction of the planning process with the environmental and safety consenting regimes; and

• a ‘pad allowance’ which would operate in a similar fashion to existing field allowances, exempting a portion of production income from the supplementary charge. This would reduce the effective tax rate on that income from 62 per cent to 30 per cent. The amount of production income exempt from the supplementary charge would be a proportion of cumulative capital expenditure incurred on a shale gas pad.

George Osborne, in interviews regarding the report, has emphasised that planning permission will remain a key hurdle to all proposed fracking activities. He anticipates that the financial benefits being offered to communities in which fracking takes place will assist in obtaining the necessary local support. Both he and the consultation document have provided further indications of the likely benefits, suggesting that communities will receive at least £100,000 per fracking well within their community and no less than 1% of the revenues generated from such wells.

Investment is beginning to occur. Centrica has recently bought into the Bowland exploration licence for a price of up to £160m and Total has announced it is “interested in shale gas in the United Kingdom…we are awaiting the bidding rounds” having had initial discussions with current licence holders to buy into prospects.

• Options
    My organisation shares the same canteen as colleagues from the energy regulator. I can report that they are all looking remarkably happy and chilled - so perhaps we are all worrying a bit unnecessarily? I can also report that that the fish and chips on a Friday is very good, so .................. laters!
  • Options

Shale Gas Fracking is a huge talking point in my industry at the moment and could potentially provide a realtively new form of energy at a lower cost than other sources. However, it is early days at the moment to talk of large scale savings being achieved in the short to mid term as a result of fracking activities in the UK.

There are several risks associated with horizontal drilling which cannot be fully evaluated until further exploratory work is done. I would not advocate large scale schemes being authorised until more research is done. This avenue of energy needs time.

People will have seen the small "bump" in Blackpool and its attribution to shale gas fracking. The connection of the "bump" to fracking is not definitively evidenced by any means, but it seems too much of a co-incidence to be unrelated.

However, most agents in the energy sector see contamination and pollution as a far bigger risk than geological effects. By conducting large scale schemes of horizontal drilling using highly toxic chemicals in the fracking process, the industry does expose itself to risk of contamination of the water supply. This is especially prevelant when the proposed shale field is located near to a large conurbation.

However, the recent conclusions of the British Geological Survey report mark another step forward for the shale gas industry. The report identifies a larger volume of potentially exploitable shale gas within the north of England than previously thought, with as much as 1,300 trillion cubic feet at the Bowland site in Lancashire. Whilst the report does not detail how much of these reserves are exploitable, the confirmation of such significant volumes raises the potential commercial value of the UK shale gas industry, making entry into it more attractive.

The Government will also be incentivising entry into the industry through the taxation benefits previously announced under the 2013 Budget. Alongside the announcement of the report, the Government has confirmed they will begin consulting on the extent of the incentives it will be offering to those involved in the exploitation of shale gas within the coming weeks. In the recent Spending Review presented before Parliament, George Osborne said it was the Government’s intention to “make the tax and planning changes which will put Britain at the forefront of exploiting shale gas…We will provide our country with the energy of the future at a price we can afford”. The consultation document highlights the following measures:

• allowing the Environment Agency to offer permits on an expedited basis;

• guidance clarifying the interaction of the planning process with the environmental and safety consenting regimes; and

• a ‘pad allowance’ which would operate in a similar fashion to existing field allowances, exempting a portion of production income from the supplementary charge. This would reduce the effective tax rate on that income from 62 per cent to 30 per cent. The amount of production income exempt from the supplementary charge would be a proportion of cumulative capital expenditure incurred on a shale gas pad.

George Osborne, in interviews regarding the report, has emphasised that planning permission will remain a key hurdle to all proposed fracking activities. He anticipates that the financial benefits being offered to communities in which fracking takes place will assist in obtaining the necessary local support. Both he and the consultation document have provided further indications of the likely benefits, suggesting that communities will receive at least £100,000 per fracking well within their community and no less than 1% of the revenues generated from such wells.

Investment is beginning to occur. Centrica has recently bought into the Bowland exploration licence for a price of up to £160m and Total has announced it is “interested in shale gas in the United Kingdom…we are awaiting the bidding rounds” having had initial discussions with current licence holders to buy into prospects.

Yeah
  • Options
    Fracking is a huge issue here in Oz, but it is a very complex one.

The Greens would have you believe it is the worst thing ever whilst the gas companies would have you believe it's the salvation of humanity.

The truth is provably somewhere in the middle but it is not a simple issue at all.
  • Options
    That Royal Soc report saying it was environmentally sound was based on lots of assumptions, such as things being done properly and well regulated. Be interesting to see how that plays in practice.
  • Options

The Greens would have you believe it is the worst thing ever whilst the gas companies would have you believe it's the salvation of humanity.

The truth is provably somewhere in the middle but it is not a simple issue at all.

This surprises me, because (if you look above) calydon_red made it sound very simple :-)

• Options
    McBobbin said:

That Royal Soc report saying it was environmentally sound was based on lots of assumptions, such as things being done properly and well regulated. Be interesting to see how that plays in practice.

Great point, it really does only take one screw up and you can have a really massive problem.
    1905 said:

This surprises me, because (if you look above) calydon_red made it sound very simple :-)

Very good! The bottom line is that Fracking actually puts two key conservative communities against each other.

Many - not all - farmers absolutely hate it because of the risks but the big corporates love it because of the money they can make.

As usual, of course, them that has the most gold will get to make the rules.
  • Options

Liberal Ed Davey says switch providers.

Ok Ed, we'll use our valuable free-time when we are not working the longer hours to A) Pay for the increased bills and/or to B) Make our own employers more of a profit (when we are not getting a pay rise) to save a measly £50 a year.

We are getting shafted from all directions and the Labour? caused recession is still being used by the Tory boy's mates in their companies as an excuse for making more profit.

Rant over.

Spot on they say the economy is stagnant. What a surprise .people havent been left with feck all to spend.
  • Options

First Utility - fix till March 2015
    Just did this myself at the weekend, and their fix is cheaper than the tariff I was on even before the current round of increases. Nice not to be with the Big 6 too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2013

It will vary depending on where you live & what your usage is. Additionally, you can fix until 2017 with a couple of suppliers, but if you do, you pay more now, so I decided against.

I put in an application to switch from a fixed EDF deal (expiring June 2014, but with no penalty to leave), to a Scottish Power deal fixed until March 2015.

My annual dual fuel figures are :

Scottish Power to March 2015 £1675 pa

Existing EDF £1748 pa

EDF fixed until March 2017 £1980 pa.

So I saved £73 pa & it only took about 30 mins in total, including deciding. Uswitch.com is as good as any.

NB Most of this cost is due to being logged into CL 24/7.
  • Options
    Cheers CE
  • Options
    Doesn't @bingaddick do a load of energy switching work or is that my imagination?
  • Options
    Len's post did start to explain something I didn't understand. A guy talking on the radio last night opposing the increases was asked what UK prices were like compared to Europe. He said per kilowatt we paid around halve what Germans paid, but no explanation why, and just dismissed Germany as different to us. I now assume it is all down to the German historic commitment to eco policies and if we want green energy we should be prepared for hefty increases, on top of any perceived profiteering.

• Options
    WSS said:

Doesn't @bingaddick do a load of energy switching work or is that my imagination?

He does

• Options
    I just checked that u switch and Scottish gas can save me 354 quid a year that's a great saving tbh think I will be looking into it tomoz

great thread well done who ever started it
  • Options

You miss the point. If he had published it any earlier it would not have evolved into the tome that it became
  • Options

Liberal Ed Davey says switch providers.

Ok Ed, we'll use our valuable free-time when we are not working the longer hours to A) Pay for the increased bills and/or to B) Make our own employers more of a profit (when we are not getting a pay rise) to save a measly £50 a year.

We are getting shafted from all directions and the Labour? caused recession is still being used by the Tory boy's mates in their companies as an excuse for making more profit.

Rant over.

Spot on they say the economy is stagnant. What a surprise .people havent been left with feck all to spend.
    Good point
  • Options
    if you don't want green energy can you pay less , I would rather we just burnt coal tbh in nice open fires
  • Options
    Can't beat a lovely open coal fire nla. Simple pleasure on a cold winters day.