Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan Post-Match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Draw a fair result, finishing from both teams was woeful. Pritch should have buried his chance, losing Yann was another blow as it means we have little chance of winning headers.

Wigan came into in the second half and caught us a few times on the counter. But another clean sheet just need to be more clinical in the final third.
  • Options
    Disappointed at Wigan timewasters and looking for freekicks, bit like Bolton of old, I wonder why that is.
  • Options
    Cafc7 said:

Can't believe the negativity on this thread. Great point against a very good side. We actually kept the ball fairly well at times and had chances to win it (admittedly so did they).

We'll avoid relegation with ease.

This
  • Options
    sorry, but I don't see all this good point gained and happy to keep a clean sheet mularky - much rather win one, lose one than draw 2. We are now the joint worst goalscorers in the league and have only scored 3 times at home all season......don't matter how many "games for a fiver" you put on, its goals people want to see and we wont attract fans back with a string of 0-0 draws.

I'm not blaming anyone in particular (apart from the owners who have put us in this position) but if we don't find a striker from somewhere quick then we are going down with Yeovil and AN other.
  • Options
    CP kept the same system as at Blackburn, 4-4-2 with Kermorgant replacing Sordell. Coyle adapted their 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-1-1 with Powell in a free role off Holt, showing CP some respect after last weeks excellent away win, by playing man-for-man against our midfield four.
    In the second half, Coyle switched back to 4-2-3-1 and Wigan created a few chances, so CP matched up in a 4-2-3-1 with Sordell playing from the right.
    Pritchard missed a sitter for us, they hit the bar from a corner. Both sides squandered chances with poor finishing. A 0-0 was a fair result.

I hope CP keeps the Cousins/Stephens partnership going in Central Midfield. It is well balanced, they combine well and it did the required job again (as at Blackburn),in an area where Wigan often had an extra midfielder.
    A well deserved point and a sound job by everyone.
  • Options
    Defence back to its best.

Midfield looks a lot better than it was at the start of the season. Just need to hope that Yann isn't too injured and our attack will improve too.

Would've taken a draw at the start so i'm happy, especially with Yann coming off after 5 mins and Wood getting injured too.
  • Options
    Not a dreadful 0 - 0 but boy do we need to get a goal scorer in. Church runs his nuts off but sorry that's not enough on its own. Yann not going to play in the majority of games I fear and Sordell doesn't do it for me. Defence looked mostly ok and Dale Stephens was my man of the match by some way. Three clean sheets is a positive but we ain't going to win many games this season.
  • Options
    Shame we didn't get Obika again but we didn't so that's that. Maybe if CP knows Yann isn't playing he can work during the week on getting Sordell/Church to complement each other more. Otherwise, who else is there? The Pig? Bring Smith back?
  • Options
    DS MOTM. A good point all things considered.
  • Options
    Enjoyable game to watch I thought. Wigan probably just shaded it, but a draw was a fair result.

Played some nice football at times, but our delivery into the box was very disappointing. We lacked quality and poise when it mattered.

Stephens would get my vote for our man of the match. On the other hand Jordan Cousins struggled at times I felt.

Today was a lesson in how Managers shape teams. Wigan played some terrific passing football last season, but it appears that Owen Coyle isn't interested in that. It's not just about the players available either. When I saw Wigan live last season Jorde Gomez was involved in everything. Today he couldn't even get off the bench. And what on earth has Coyle done to Callum McManaman? You could see why Wigan have started the season unimpressively.

As for us, we played some nice passing football against Forest with Gower, Cousins and Stephens linking well. Pritchard runs his socks off, but we'll never look as fluent with him in the side. Unfortunately, Bradley's lack of quality showed at key moments today. I'm not saying Chris Powell is wrong to pick Pritchard, I'm simply saying that when he does so he reveals something about how he wants his teams to play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we need to get Jacko back in the side for his goals - Stewart? Its a shame as we have a balanced side but with no end product.

Pretty uninspired by the game today, both sides seemed determined toi give the ball away first half. Second half better, but not much.

Highlight for me was Wilsons surge down the right and cross about midway in the second half.
  • Options
    Actually beginning to think that Jackson could play up front alongside Church in Yann's absence
  • Options
    I actually enjoyed the game. The game seemed really fast paced to me but im not sure if that was because I sat 3 rows from the front of the lower north.

Thought wood was brilliant and also Stephens. Stephens put himself about today and was surprised to see him win a fair few headers from diagonal balls.

Happy with the point as I think they had the better chances.
  • Options
    Despite attending the game I can't possibly comment on it as I think I saw about 30 seconds of the match from block A in the east (moved my season ticket as I brought friends) thanks to the hoardes of people standing up and walking about through the ENTIRE game. Never bringing friends and moving again during football for a fiver because of this.

On the positive the 30 seconds I did see had Stephens playing as well as his "potential" suggested for the first time in about 2 and a half years.
  • Options
    On a negative despite the ground being almost full the director's box was almost empty again today
  • Options
    Wasn't there a Wigan clearance into the directors box? Headed away by Tony Jimenez? At least that's what I thought I saw over in the East.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Wasn't there a Wigan clearance into the directors box? Headed away by Tony Jimenez? At least that's what I thought I saw over in the East.

That must have a been a sight for sore eyes Seth because TJ normally keeps his head down :0)
  • Options
    Where's Harriott ?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    PL54 said:

Where's Harriott ?

Tweeting about not being "rated" to Simon Church :/
  • Options
    Also one more thing. Were Wigan tickets £6 as well? Because if so they deserve to be relegated to league 2 with that support. Worst I've seen so far this season. They don't deserve a decent team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

Where's Harriott ?

Moaning on Twitter

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The Wigan fans who were there deserve respect.
    It is so anachronistic to sing 'your support is effing chite' to those who actually go.
    I would suggest to anybody so annoyed about Wigans low numbers, to get hold of their supporter database and write to all of the absentees commenting on their support.
    Well done to the Wigan supporters there is my view.
  • Options
    Yes, we're not exactly uprooting trees with our away support are we.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It is so anachronistic to sing 'your support is effing chite' to those who actually go.
    I would suggest to anybody so annoyed about Wigans low numbers, to get hold of their supporter database and write to all of the absentees commenting on their support.

fair shout more 3 times more people live in bexley borough than wigan.
  • Options

PL54 said:

Where's Harriott ?

Moaning on Twitter

and I think he has a right to as well !!! If it wasn't for him towards the end of last season we could be watching League 1 football right now and having not done anything wrong he is dropped for a right footed player playing in his place, who IMHO, is not as good as him. If CP wants to play Stewart , then fine, play him on the RIGHT (his natural position) and let a LEFT footed player play on the LEFT.

rant over !!!!!!

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Also one more thing. Were Wigan tickets £6 as well? Because if so they deserve to be relegated to league 2 with that support. Worst I've seen so far this season. They don't deserve a decent team.

If it was other way round I doubt we would have taken as many

• Options
    edited October 2013
    seth plum said:

You are 100% right. The hardcore who bother goin deserve respect and the disrespect always belongs to those who do not go. But that does not detract from the fact that their support is awful. A pure utalitarian would want the greatest happiness for the greatest number of fans. Wigan don't have any fans. Wouldn't you rather see Portsmouth and Wigan swap places. At least Portsmouth fans appreciate football.
  • Options
    just out of interest Mr Huskaris, have you done the trip in reverse & seen us play at Wigan ???
  • Options
    If only the league was structured according to supporter numbers huh? If only, cos Palace and Millwall would not best us in the long run.
  • Options

just out of interest Mr Huskaris, have you done the trip in reverse & seen us play at Wigan ???

If it was six quid and on promotion I would have yes. And I'm being 100% serious. Football costs a fair bit these days especially away when you take travel into account. At £6 it effectively wipes out the cost of travel and I would love to go to as many stadiums as possible.
    I would fill my car with 3 mates and head up to Wigan! Bargain day out.