Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan Post-Match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

Where's Harriott ?

cooking?
  • Options

I really enjoyed the game. Both teams had chances to win. Stephens played well...and won some flood tackles. One of those games where nobody played poor, but nobody really stood out. Both full backs were noticeable for their forays forward.
    Didn't really like Wigan. They used their Premier league nous to con the ref in the second half. Went down too easily and unfortunately the ref went along with it.
    Hamer looked comfortable and confident.
    A pleasing point.

Good post mate i thought the same anyone else think that all Holt did was try and upset our centre halves rather than score a goal.

• Options
    Golfie sorry mate you may go week in week out,you know jack about football. You thought Green was good and rave about Harriott. Neither will ever make it big.
  • Options
    Dire first half improved second....i like Pritchard but why do our best chances fall to him in these type of games...he missed a sitter and not for the first time.
  • Options
    dire first half are you sure

we played some fantastic floor football and was not predictable had Pritchard had anything about him that was composed we would've been 2 up and looking strong
  • Options
    Our moments of quality come from sordell. Only one with real talent and he aint that interested which is a shame. The rest try hard but are just relegation/bottom half players. Back four are doing well.
  • Options
    Posting without reading.

This match wasn't a classic by any means in truth I think the two teams cancelled each other out for much of the game.

I'm happy with a point though as Wigan looked more threatening than us when they did get forward and on a football for £6 day with 23,000 in the ground it was all set fair for an ignominious defeat!

When I read the thread I expect Pritchard will get some flak for his lack of composure in front of goal. All I'll say is that at least he was in a position to display lack of composure. Other than Wood's header in the first half I don't remember anyone else having anything that can be described as a shot on target although Stephens had one off target.

We missed Yann I just hope his injury is not too serious but fear it will be. Wood was close to my man of the match when he went off so I hope he is not badly hurt either.

The positive is that we dug in despite not being at our best and got something out of the game against a decent side. A lot of Charlton sides since our relegation from the Prem would have capitulated.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    After 5-10 minutes I was thinking this has got 0-0 all over it.

I had to keep reminding myself that Wigan have probably got a massive wage budget to spend compared to Charlton , were Fa cup holders, and had just come down from the Premier League.

Grant Holt didn't stand out for me , Boyce seemed a bit of a tank for Wigan, and they did seem to have a lot of particularly tall players.

Was hoping we might be able to take advantage of the fact they'd played on Thursday, but ignorantly , I don't know how many of their players did actually play on Thursday, as for me they are not a big draw to watch, and when it gets to this point, your glad you don't get paid to watch teams like Wigan play, as a scout would.

Hope we can keep pushing hard in upcoming games, and be more prolific in front of goal, hope Yann is not too seriously injured, we could do with one or two quality signings in January, but I think it's wishful thinking on my part.

• Options

dire first half are you sure

we played some fantastic floor football and was not predictable had Pritchard had anything about him that was composed we would've been 2 up and looking strong

Yes i was there were you...almost fell asleep as did many around me..
  • Options
    Think it was a good point against a classy team who passed the ball round pretty effortlessly - not sure Holt fits their style of play but what do I care !!

Wiggins was good in spells, same with Stewart and Stephens. Both CBs were immense. Cousins looked good. Wilson still makes terrible judgment calls but attacked well. Church looked a bit quiet and Sordell looked nippy off the bench. Pritchard had one one of his typical games - lots of running/effort with no end product sadly .. He isn't a winger !!! Hamer didn't have much to do ....
    Kermo went missing - injured from the start ?
    Hope he and Wood are back ASAP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The game only livened up cos Wigan decided to come out of their shell not anything we did.....
  • Options

i took my 3 yr old to the game today for her first game, and she loved it for 70 mins then wanted to go

the 70 mins I watched was thoroughly enjoyable and very competitive, Pritchard wasted our best 2 chances first half and if that boy had a first touch and could shoot he wouldn't be playing for us I spose but he is like a jigsaw in the box

Dale Stephens is without a doubt the most offensive midfielder in the team, Swap Stewart for Pritch and bring Jacko back in Left mid and we are in business, but it was dales willingness to win 50 -50 balls today that surprised me the most

The lack of goals is not a worry to me as that was a cracking Wigan team very strong and very reminisant of the team I watched win the fa cup

the stand out performances for me were Dale, Lawrie, Jordan

however

Sordell and church done really well and will link up well I believe, I thought that was Marvins best game for us

I think Coyle done his Home work getting Yann and Wood whacked as they have been key in recent performances before Yanns last injury

yann should've come off straight away he was hitting the floor with his hand as soon as he was hit, and was pointing at his ankle to church from then on

don't let anyone tell you this was a poor performance

this was a very good point imo against a good team full of premier league experience and energy and we matched that with a good performance from a low championship side

That very good team full of premier league experience is currently sitting in 14th position and haven't scored away since the first game of the season......hardly signs of a good side & one we should be aiming to beat at home. There are far better teams than Wigan in this division.

As long as there 3 worse teams than us .....
  • Options
    Yeah I was there and although there was a lull for maybe ten mins I thought that we passed the ball better in that first half than most of what we have had served up

It was crisp fast and one or two touch

The link up of stephens cameron and into the front two was very good and had the two chances fallen too anyone else we wouldve been two up
  • Options
    Enjoyed it myself, at least we are being entertained at the moment, the football has got better and the players more confident.

It's lucky 20,000+ didn't turn up for some earlier matches this season.

My North Stand mates said first 45 was poor also, from my position on the half way line apart from the bad crossing I thought we we quite good and played some really nice stuff with the players passing to each other, on the ground as well!

In hindsight, could have done with Green on first 45 when we were the better side and needed to go for it and Pritch on the second when Wigan stepped it up.

Dale MOM and hopefully Wood okay.
  • Options
    Reading without posting
  • Options
    I was in the east maybe the view of the game differs
  • Options
    Thought it was a reasonable performance. We had the better of the first half, but Wigan were better after the break. Draw a fair result. A bit disappointing that despite the fact that they had a game during the week they finished the game stronger than we did. Losing Kermogant and Wood didn't help, personally I would have given Danny Green 20 mins or so at the end to see he could have put some decent balls in the box that was missing for most of the game. Pity that the games best chance went to Pritchard who seems to lack composure in those situations. Continues the unbeaten run I suppose but only 1 win in 6 home games is disappointing.
  • Options
    I was impressed of how well Wilson did, McClean looked absolutely woeful for Wigan because of him
    Is it me or did Sordell get slotted into Yann's role? I thought Church would act as the Target Man and Sordell would run onto his passes but no

Sordell was given many balls in the air and he didnt go forward as much as I thought he would, he never tries to outpace his marker or take him on with some moves, instead he tried to make the killer pass to Church, which confuses me as I see Sordell as more of a pace-merchant/poacher?
  • Options
    JT said:

Reading without posting

Hahaha... I was just gonna do that til I came to your post!

• Options
    From the sublime
    JT said:

Reading without posting

To the ridiculous

Huskaris said:

Wigan should be ashamed of their away support

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty good game for a 0-0. If we could take our chances we'd be well up the league (but I guess that's a truism for most bottom half teams). Outstanding performance from Stephens. Looked solid in defence for the most part. Thought Church did well, and agree that it was probably Sordell's best game. Still think we need something more up front though. Generally disappointed by the quality of our crosses. If we're going to keep over hitting so many of them, can we have someone running in on the opposite side to collect the loose balls?
  • Options
    Decent enough performance against a good Wigan outfit. Can't fault the effort or organisation and a draw was probably a fair outcome on the balance of play.
    Thought the defence was excellent and it's just a pity that Wood got injured, since we have looked a different proposition with him in the back four.
    Church and Sordell will not score the goals to keep us up, so we need Yann back soon or some new blood in. Special mention for Stephens, who is really looking the part now and also Wilson for his wholehearted contribution.
  • Options
    I thought Sordell looked interested and hungry, its the balls into the strikers that needs to be better
  • Options

I thought Sordell looked interested and hungry, its the balls into the strikers that needs to be better

Yep, he looked much more interested and intense than I remember seeing him before, trying to get things going and take players on. Unfortunately neither he nor Church are likely to outmuscle and outfight many centrebacks, trying to play like we still had Kermorgant up front is/was only doing them a disservice.
  • Options
    Anyone on the "player marks" thread who is giving Church 7 or more, must have been watching a different game.

The fella may LOOK like Garry Nelson, but he is not him.

Church just runs around calling for the ball, and when a high ball is sent to him doesn't jump for it. If it is played on the floor, he can't hold it up / or he loses it.

He is not the answer to our scoring problems, and while he may cover 10k in 90 minutes and appear to put in lots of effort, in reality he is taking up a space in the team that someone else could be trying out.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Also one more thing. Were Wigan tickets £6 as well? Because if so they deserve to be relegated to league 2 with that support. Worst I've seen so far this season. They don't deserve a decent team.

Harsh!! They are in Europe so their regular away support will be making the most of that and european away games are not cheap.

They are also a tiny tiny club in a rugby mad town who have performed above themselves for years.

They have also been enduring prem prices for a good few years and Charlton away on a Sunday afternoon with storms predicted is not the appeal you might think, even if the ticket is £15 less than usual.
  • Options

Golfie sorry mate you may go week in week out,you know jack about football. You thought Green was good and rave about Harriott. Neither will ever make it big.

That make 2 of us as I thought carson was there keeper yesterday till this morning

• Options
    Sordell made a few lung busting efforts to chase back when Wigan were on the counter attack. I noticed that, for those of you that slate his work rate. Was well noted by Wilson and Morrison too. I thought that was an improvement to his game. I would much prefer Yann and Sordell to start and be given some time to form a partnership
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Overall I felt it was a good point against a side who had a lot of players with premiership experience. Third clean sheet on the trot is good to see and will really give the back four (especially Hamer) confidence. Wood continues to impress and his presence has had a good effect on Morro who is starting to look like the player from two years ago. Wiggins was steady and starting get back to more consistent performances. Special mention to Wilson. Very much an up and down season for him last year, but what a player he is now showing to be. Has a great engine and his lung bursting run and cross in the 2nd half deserved someone one the end to finish off what would have been a great goal. Been my player of the season so far.

Dale Stephens is now putting consistency into his game and grabbing games by the neck in the middle of the park. Its like the penny is starting to drop with him. His great strike in the 2nd half deserved a goal. Felt Jordan Cousins was off the pace yesterday, however nothing to be concerned about as he has been fantastic since coming in to the team. He is young and will have off games now and then. Prich worked hard, but will be disappointed with his chance in the first half. Felt Stewart put in a decent shift, but for me needs to get in the box more. Maybe be a bit more selfish when coming inside. His goal up at Hudders shows he can do it.

Church once again put in Gary Nelson type performance and works hard. Was impressed with Sordell's work rate off the ball yesterday.

Can't fault the boys for there efforts and on another day could have come away with all 3 points but a draw was on reflect a fair result.