Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wigan Post-Match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Well I attended today as a ST holder and brought a friend who said that we try to pass and then just lose it-thats true I suppose. I left the Valley feeling that we did do very little in the final third, poor crossing especially led to little opportunity! Yann going off was a massive loss and I wonder if on reflection SCP might wonder if he brought him back too soon? (Thats not a complaint mind). Another clean sheet is a plus and I agree with many that Stephens had a very good game today, Cousins less so , but he is young is he not.
  • Options

Sordell needs to play with someone better than church, wood MOM had holt in his pocket until he went off

Agreed Wood looks quality
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Not doing footy for a fiver game again. I must just be unlucky but every time I get sat next to a bunch of jerks. This time it was two families with kids ranging from a babe in arms to teenagers. Bunch of bumholes the lot if them. Bored stupid and misbehaving. Completely spoiled the day. I was in a grumpy mood to start with having driven nearly 500 miles but they would have tested the patience of a saint. The game was awful I thought. We have nothing up front although we huffed and puffed and could have won it. Wigan were dismal.

Brilliant....Don't like those cheap games one bit, I'll go when I fill like it not when then the club tells me 'to go'.
  • Options

Tight game, not the most inspiring to watch and never really looked like a goal was coming. Can't really tell in the upper how much influence the wind had on procedings.

Won't do anything to inspire 10,000 floaters, but another point and another clean sheet.

Sometimes in tight games you need that bit of instinct to make something happen or take a half chance. I love Bradley Pritchard, but he's never gonna be that person sadly

The strikers didn't get a lot of service from the flanks, Stewart didn't want to take on the full back and Pritchard can't cross a ball.
  • Options

PL54 said:

Where's Harriott ?

Moaning on Twitter

and I think he has a right to as well !!! If it wasn't for him towards the end of last season we could be watching League 1 football right now and having not done anything wrong he is dropped for a right footed player playing in his place, who IMHO, is not as good as him. If CP wants to play Stewart , then fine, play him on the RIGHT (his natural position) and let a LEFT footed player play on the LEFT.

rant over !!!!!!

Totally disagree unfortunately I believe he believes his own hype , Callum Messi wot's that all about, get your head down and play football, please please prove me wrong #anotherlloydsam
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Sordell needs to play with someone better than church, wood MOM had holt in his pocket until he went off

I personally think that Church needs to play with someone better than Sordell

• Options
    Huskaris said:

just out of interest Mr Huskaris, have you done the trip in reverse & seen us play at Wigan ???

If it was six quid and on promotion I would have yes. And I'm being 100% serious. Football costs a fair bit these days especially away when you take travel into account. At £6 it effectively wipes out the cost of travel and I would love to go to as many stadiums as possible.
    I would fill my car with 3 mates and head up to Wigan! Bargain day out.
    I take that as a No then. Also I'm not sure if Wigan fans did get in for £6 - but that's another point.

• Options
    Sunday afternoon, threat of a hurricane, small supporters base, only £6 plus the exorbitant cost of travel ...
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Tight game, not the most inspiring to watch and never really looked like a goal was coming. Can't really tell in the upper how much influence the wind had on procedings.

Won't do anything to inspire 10,000 floaters, but another point and another clean sheet.

Sometimes in tight games you need that bit of instinct to make something happen or take a half chance. I love Bradley Pritchard, but he's never gonna be that person sadly

The strikers didn't get a lot of service from the flanks, Stewart didn't want to take on the full back and Pritchard can't cross a ball.

main reason why Stewart doesn't take on the full back is because he is right footed playing on the left - maybe he can't cross too well with his left but mainly it doesn't help having to run with the ball on the outside (showing it to the full back) rather than having it on the inside where it is harder to get at.

Therefore, taking this into account & the fact that Pritch's crossing is also suspect then PLEASE CAN WE HAVE WINGERS PLAYING IN THEIR RIGHTFUL POSITIONS. I'd wager if we had Harriott on the left and either Stewart or Green ( or Wilson when Solly is fit) on the right we'd get better balls into the box & might actually score from one !!!!!

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

• Options
    Totally un-Charlton like if we did not charge the opposition fans the same but hey who knows these days?

Also this argument about middling supported northern teams visiting the Valley in numbers. I would hazard a guess that at least 50% of the 700ish Lactics at the Valley are based in London or the SE. Turning that around, a middling supported southern team like Charlton would never be able to call on 50% of their support on the day being based in Wigan or a 100 mile radius. Comparison is futile.

Well done to the Wigan lads who made the trip all the way down I say...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob Member said:
    6:46PM
    Shame we didn't get Obika again but we didn't so that's that. Maybe if CP knows Yann isn't playing he can work during the week on getting Sordell/Church to complement each other more. Otherwise, who else is there? The Pig? Bring Smith back?

Agree with you 100%. To me Church adds nothing, runs around a lot. He didn't win a ball in the air until the 87th minute.
    Sadly he is not the answer. Don't mind Sordell, he needs more support. Stevens MOM by a mile. Thought Wilson did well, one great second half run, then near disaster. We badly need a decent striker!
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

On the positive that`s 3 clean sheets in a row and 4 games unbeaten! Massive improvements all round!

Without reading any further posts, THIS !

I thought we played well considering we lost our main threat up front so early.

As if that wasn't enough grief, we then lost one of our very capable & solid centre backs - this guy is a great acquisition IMHO.

2 subs that had to be made then reduced SCP's options, of course as well as upsetting the original game plan.

Sordell looks to be gaining in confidence and Dervite is an able deputy for Woody - 2 more positives for me.

And Dale's screamer deserved to go in the top corner and win us all 3 points, but when do we get our just deserts ?

All in all, I was happy with a point from the former Prem team.

Onwards to St Andrews & upwards!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Huskaris said:

just out of interest Mr Huskaris, have you done the trip in reverse & seen us play at Wigan ???

If it was six quid and on promotion I would have yes. And I'm being 100% serious. Football costs a fair bit these days especially away when you take travel into account. At £6 it effectively wipes out the cost of travel and I would love to go to as many stadiums as possible.
    I would fill my car with 3 mates and head up to Wigan! Bargain day out.
    I take that as a No then. Also I'm not sure if Wigan fans did get in for £6 - but that's another point.

If you are mildly cretinous and can not read then you can take that as a no if you wish. But look at the economics.

£30 (I think) for my seat at Charlton.

£6 for the "reverse at wigan"

Saving =£24.

4 people in a car to wigan and back = approx £50 in petrol, split 4 ways = £12.50 + £6 for the ticket =£18.50.

Now back to the Charlton ticket @ £30. Saving =£11.50.

I personally don't do much on Saturdays or Sundays that I wouldnt move for a Charlton game. And at that price I genuinely would have no choice to go. And thats as someone who makes it to only 3-5 non London away games a season.

So yes, I would have gone, and I have looked it up and it was £6 a ticket.

So to reiterate my original point, Wigan should be ashamed of their away support, and to add to that, you are a clown xxx

• Options

Thought the whole afternoon was a non-event. Thousands of kids and casuals and far less atmosphere than with the usual smaller crowd. Most were leaving with 15 mins to go and wont be coming back anytime soon.

Just couldn't get into the game and couldn't see anyone scoring. Some of the worst forward play I have seen for some time and very little quality in the final third from either side.

Stephens looks better every week and Wilson played well but we have zero up front. Pritch Inspection may be a great athlete but is the worst striker of a football since Kishishev's grandmother.
  • Options
    i took my 3 yr old to the game today for her first game, and she loved it for 70 mins then wanted to go

the 70 mins I watched was thoroughly enjoyable and very competitive, Pritchard wasted our best 2 chances first half and if that boy had a first touch and could shoot he wouldn't be playing for us I spose but he is like a jigsaw in the box

Dale Stephens is without a doubt the most offensive midfielder in the team, Swap Stewart for Pritch and bring Jacko back in Left mid and we are in business, but it was dales willingness to win 50 -50 balls today that surprised me the most

The lack of goals is not a worry to me as that was a cracking Wigan team very strong and very reminisant of the team I watched win the fa cup

the stand out performances for me were Dale, Lawrie, Jordan

however

Sordell and church done really well and will link up well I believe, I thought that was Marvins best game for us

I think Coyle done his Home work getting Yann and Wood whacked as they have been key in recent performances before Yanns last injury

yann should've come off straight away he was hitting the floor with his hand as soon as he was hit, and was pointing at his ankle to church from then on

don't let anyone tell you this was a poor performance

this was a very good point imo against a good team full of premier league experience and energy and we matched that with a good performance from a low championship side
  • Options
    Based on today's performance and his increasingly more effective recent displays I would be more concerned about keeping Stephens rather than Cousins . How did Pritchard miss those two absolute sitters ? Very poor from a professional not even to hit the target especially in the first half. How was their last man not even booked for that tangle with Sordell? Were the ref and linesman with the yellow flag each smoking crack ?!hope Wood and Kermo not too badly injured . A good point and Wigan just about deserved their's .
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with that NLA although I would never have Jacko playing left mid. Tried it last year and didn't suit him or the team. I think he's going to have to accept a bit part role at the mo as Cousins and Stephens seem to have gelled in the middle of midfield.
  • Options
    Some good work undone countless times by poor final ball/balls into the box. At the end I was willing Marvin not to try and cross it, but instead get his head down and charge for goal Fuller style.

Dale looked superb. Be interesting if anyone buys him in Jan or gambles with him being out of contract at the end of the season. Or if he stays in Jan, will he sign/be offered a new contract???

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The vast amount of people who think this wasn't a good point are deluded.

This was a side consisting of players deriving from league one and the academy, looking (certainly in the first half) as though they were going to go on to beat a side with bags of premier league experience.

Hamer didn't put a foot wrong all game and looked very assured, though his distribution could still be a little quicker to utilise the pace of the likes of Stewart and Sordell.

The two full backs were excellent, Wilson gave 110% for 90 minutes and Wiggins displayed some great skill and innovative link up play with Stewart - although at times he overplayed when an early ball into the danger area may have been more fruitful.

All 3 centre backs were superb. Make no mistake about it Grant Holt is a class centre forward, and to keep him so quiet as to make Coyle bring him off should be applauded.

The diamond in midfield worked well for the majority of the game. Cousins looked disciplined, did the basics well and will only grow as a player as he does so in stature. There were a few times he got sucked in around the box and left us very vulnerable to counter attacks, but he is still learning. Stephens was at the heart of a lot of attacking innovation and as has been said many times before, he is probably our most technically gifted player. What surprised me today though was his aggression and desire to get stuck in when the midfield battle went from technical to scrappy.

Church was unlucky, the ball didn't fall to him in the right areas and Wigan limited his supply well. Sordell showed flickers of obvious talent but doesn't look like he has half the desire to win for the shirt as Church does, the man didn't stop running for 90 minutes.

Overall, we put in a performance which would beat most sides in this league. I might be the only one but I'm quietly optimistic that we'll stay safe with ease this year.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nearly 4 complete games not conceding a goal is good stuff.Hope the injury to Wood is not serious as he has been a major plus this year.

Stephens played well again. The miss from Pritchard was poor likewise the chances missed by Wigan in the 2nd half so a point was fair
  • Options

i took my 3 yr old to the game today for her first game, and she loved it for 70 mins then wanted to go

the 70 mins I watched was thoroughly enjoyable and very competitive, Pritchard wasted our best 2 chances first half and if that boy had a first touch and could shoot he wouldn't be playing for us I spose but he is like a jigsaw in the box

Dale Stephens is without a doubt the most offensive midfielder in the team, Swap Stewart for Pritch and bring Jacko back in Left mid and we are in business, but it was dales willingness to win 50 -50 balls today that surprised me the most

The lack of goals is not a worry to me as that was a cracking Wigan team very strong and very reminisant of the team I watched win the fa cup

the stand out performances for me were Dale, Lawrie, Jordan

however

Sordell and church done really well and will link up well I believe, I thought that was Marvins best game for us

I think Coyle done his Home work getting Yann and Wood whacked as they have been key in recent performances before Yanns last injury

yann should've come off straight away he was hitting the floor with his hand as soon as he was hit, and was pointing at his ankle to church from then on

don't let anyone tell you this was a poor performance

this was a very good point imo against a good team full of premier league experience and energy and we matched that with a good performance from a low championship side

That very good team full of premier league experience is currently sitting in 14th position and haven't scored away since the first game of the season......hardly signs of a good side & one we should be aiming to beat at home. There are far better teams than Wigan in this division.

• Options
    0-0 against a team that was premiership last season ...3 games without conceding ...we will be top half at end of season ...top-10
  • Options
    By that logic, are united not a good premier league side because they are currently only 8th?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

0-0 against a team that was premiership last season ...3 games without conceding ...we will be top half at end of season ...top-10

ho ho ho..........best joke I've heard all year.

with that I'm off...........can't beat that one !!!
  • Options
    you should golfie

because that wigan team today was a good outfit you can not judge them on what they have done so far this season but on that performance and I thought Wigan were a very good team and put in a very good performance

they were a team that I would swap all of ours for except Cousins and Stephens
  • Options
    I love how these post-match 'match' threads degenerate into the obligatory slanging match between people who (god forbid!) have differing views. It makes great reading whilst my missus sits here watching some tosh about some 'abbey' on ITV. Always brightens up my day to read the dogs abuse some get for having a view. In this instance the 'thanks for brightening up my dreary Sunday evening award' goes to golfaddick and Huskaris. Many thanks.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the match. Competitve and good skill on display in parts and the game pretty wide open.

It seemed that both managers gave the same half-time talk - basically "this game is there for the taking". Both teams thought they could get all three pts almost to the end and were going for it. There was a spell early in the second half when we could have been watching a cup game, with the game end-to-end with good chances for both sides.

Only in the last 5 mins did Charlton look like they would be happy to settle for a point and Wigan were chasing a goal right to the end - all of their substitutions were attacking rather than defensive.

Shame it ended up goaless but I don't think the first-timers and floaters will be as disappointed as some are suggesting. There was plenty of excitement and enterprise and action to entertain them.

Stephens is a class act. And a word for the ref, who I thought had an excellent game.
  • Options

Not doing footy for a fiver game again. I must just be unlucky but every time I get sat next to a bunch of jerks. This time it was two families with kids ranging from a babe in arms to teenagers. Bunch of bumholes the lot if them. Bored stupid and misbehaving. Completely spoiled the day. I was in a grumpy mood to start with having driven nearly 500 miles but they would have tested the patience of a saint. The game was awful I thought. We have nothing up front although we huffed and puffed and could have won it. Wigan were dismal.

no honest opinions allowed, you're barred. it was a great point against the best team in Europe and we played exciting football, like we always do.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Also one more thing. Were Wigan tickets £6 as well? Because if so they deserve to be relegated to league 2 with that support. Worst I've seen so far this season. They don't deserve a decent team.

promotion/relegation is not decided by the number of fans you have, much to Ooh Ahhs disappointment.