Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop the smoking at the Valley.

Comments

• Options

It's 2 hours for Christ sake - how addicted must you be not to be able to wait ?

Drinking beer and watching Charlton are enough to make anyone chain smoke.
    Good point
  • Options
    After what it did to my dad , I hate smoking with a passion, but I found watching the game yesterday quite stressful , and could have been tempted seeing another fan rolling his fags in anticipation of the final whistle, I can see how people become addicted.
  • Options
    PJW1 said:

I am sick of having to inhale the dangerous and toxic smoke of scores of hurriedly smoked cigarettes every time I am brave enough to use the toilets in the Lower North. I am not sure what it is like elsewhere in the stadium but the Club needs to take a zero tolerance approach to this.

Smoking in a public place is illegal and it is the responsibility of the Club to enforce this law. Spray painting warnings without taking action is pointless.

With the advent of e-cigarettes there is an alternative for smokers which is not dangerous to others.

Stub It Out Charlton!

Or allow a smoking area where you do not need to venture to preserve your poor little lungs from poison.
  • Options
    Having a wank is legal but I don't expect comfort rooms to be provided in case I get the urge at half time. image
  • Options
    Nor does anyone else, carry on wanking. But allow an outside smoking area and the problem is solved, anyone that doesnt smoke can avoid it. Your wank habit doesn't affect others, feel free to carry on in public or otherwise.
  • Options
    Passive smoking is dangerous period.

Banning smoking in public has had a significant and positive influence upon the nations health.

What someone does with their own lungs is up to them but why should my health and comfort be affected by this?

Walking into a Toilet where multiple fans have smoked very quickly is more than just passive smoking.

Smokers can either hold on for a couple of hours or get an e cigarette .

This illegal and the Clib has a ,legal responsibility to uphold the ban.

Shame Steve Dowman had to be sarcastic - Still smokers are always defensive and passive aggressive about their addiction.

• Options
    Off_it said:

cafc999 said:

Something has to change. This rule of no smoking in a public place is to protect non smokers has not worked. Let's look at it this way, if the club made a space available for people to smoke then only smokers would go there as not everyone has to smoke. However, everyone has to use the toilet

Maybe if people just started doing number ones and number twos in their seats it might make a difference - a sort of dirty protest.
    Ha love this
  • Options
    PJW1 said:

Passive smoking is dangerous period.

Banning smoking in public has had a significant and positive influence upon the nations health.

What someone does with their own lungs is up to them but why should my health and comfort be affected by this?

Walking into a Toilet where multiple fans have smoked very quickly is more than just passive smoking.

Smokers can either hold on for a couple of hours or get an e cigarette .

This illegal and the Clib has a ,legal responsibility to uphold the ban.

Shame Steve Dowman had to be sarcastic - Still smokers are always defensive and passive aggressive about their addiction.

</blockq
    So allow smoking outside, passive aggressive or not and the weak genes would be spared from harm, easy really.

• Options
    I have nothing at all against an outside smoking area - As long as I can avoid it and sit in my seat without breathing in second hand smoke and use a toilet without an oxygen supply.

As an ex 40 b and h a dayer (with a fondness for the odd Cohiba) for 18 years I don't agree with punishing smokers or persecuting them - It is up to them if they smoke. I hope that they stop. All I want that people are prevented from smoking where they are not supposed to. No need to ban, or fine them.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Spot on. Plenty of clubs have outside smoking areas, so why not ours? As a smoker I feel it is bad that others have to go into smoke filled toilets too. don't myself smoke there but it makes me feel bad that non smokers have to go through that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny how the club let the spanners smoke inside the ground in their cup final.
  • Options
    No self discipline.

The same mentality as being unable to be silent for 60 seconds when requested as a mark of respect.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

No self discipline

The same mentality as being unable to be silent for 60 seconds when requested as a mark of respect.

You are confusing two completely different things. I agree silence is easy, abstinence from nicotine is less so, I can do it, but understand why others can't and it has always meant I have enjoyed the game less.

One of the funniest things I saw was at Southampton at st Mary's, end of game when we lost 1-0 I think, they were giving it big when an illegal smoker in our end flicked a butt that landed on a big mouthed twats head.

Smoking only kills smokers, or weak genes who like others' habits as an excuse for their diseases. Let them have their fun/death in peace.

Life goes on or ends for everyone.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

No self discipline

You are confusing two completely different things. I agree silence is easy, abstinence from nicotine is less so, I can do it, but understand why others can't and it has always meant I have enjoyed the game less.

One of the funniest things I saw was at Southampton at st Mary's, end of game when we lost 1-0 I think, they were giving it big when an illegal smoker in our end flicked a butt that landed on a big mouthed twats head.

Smoking only kills smokers, or weak genes who like others' habits as an excuse for their diseases. Let them have their fun/death in peace.

Life goes on or ends for everyone.

Thanks for this scintillating contribution!

Does this stuff come to you in a dream?

What the hell is a " weak gene" ? Are you a genetistist or do you have some ultra right leanings we should know about?

The empirical evidence that passive smoking causes disease period . Weakness has nothing to do with it - this is fact and you are both deluded and, by the sound of it, a bit nasty, particularly if you think flicking a lighted cigarette at someone is " one of the funniest things you have ever seen"!

• Options
    cafc999 said:

TelMc32 said:

Not sure I agree with that first assumption cafc999.

I'm like Off_it in that I remember what it was like when people were able to smoke everywhere. A friend & I had to search our Cannon St train every night for the one single section ( the carriage that was split into single cabins) that was the NON-smoker.

I like the fact that I can have a night out now and not smell cigarette smoke on my clothes the next day. I think it has worked very well, where people understand the law and that seems to be about 99% of the places I know.

Why should The Valley be the exception? As ME14 says, her husband is a heavy smoker and can manage to abstain for two hours. No reason why others can't, but they obviously think they're special (needs).

You cannot go for a piss in the north lower without coming out stinking of smoke though!

You are right though about not having to endure the smell of smoke during a night out, but you still have to walk through a wall of smoke to get into most pubs now.

Okay, we're not allowed to smoke in pubs now (and what happened to all these "I'll use the pubs more now smokers aren't allowed" people: Pubs are being shut down everyday) and now you criticize people for smoking outside. Is it okay to smoke in the High Street ? In my home ?

• Options
    I bloody hate them weak jeans.

• Options

cafc999 said:

TelMc32 said:

I'm like Off_it in that I remember what it was like when people were able to smoke everywhere. A friend & I had to search our Cannon St train every night for the one single section ( the carriage that was split into single cabins) that was the NON-smoker.

I like the fact that I can have a night out now and not smell cigarette smoke on my clothes the next day. I think it has worked very well, where people understand the law and that seems to be about 99% of the places I know.

Why should The Valley be the exception? As ME14 says, her husband is a heavy smoker and can manage to abstain for two hours. No reason why others can't, but they obviously think they're special (needs).

You cannot go for a piss in the north lower without coming out stinking of smoke though!

You are right though about not having to endure the smell of smoke during a night out, but you still have to walk through a wall of smoke to get into most pubs now.

Okay, we're not allowed to smoke in pubs now (and what happened to all these "I'll use the pubs more now smokers aren't allowed" people: Pubs are being shut down everyday) and now you criticize people for smoking outside. Is it okay to smoke in the High Street ? In my home ?

Smoke on brother, smoke on.
  • Options

Remember smoking a spliff at The Valley many moons ago...nobody complained. The Who were brilliant.

cafc999 said:

TelMc32 said:

Is it okay to smoke in the High Street ? In my home ?

No, it's not. And yes it is.

I detest people who smoke in the high street. I consume around 12 cigarettes passively each day when I total up those I inhale between the station and the office/ home, and those smoked on work premises. Most people at work stand next to the no smoking signs! But those who spark up outside the station, or stand in doorways, get the full brunt of my ire.

There's a bizarre attitude amongst smokers, like it's merely 'the man' who is getting between them and nicotine. It's not - it's non-smokers. It's not banned indoors to inconvenience them. It's banned cos people like me want them to stay the hell away.

It really is a matter of time before it is banned in public places, and future generations will look back on the smoker and think "how the hell did they get away with it!?" but until those times of enlightenment roll around, I'll just tell smokers what I think and continue to try and avoid being punched in the face.
  • Options
    Smokers and motorists eh JiMMY 85? Anyone else looking to fill you in?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm a light smoker, but I do not smoke in the street out of respect for those that don't partake. When I see a drunk laying in the gutter, fighting another drunk or pissing in a shop doorway I wonder why I bother having standards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

hahaha oh yes.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Off_it said:

hahaha oh yes.
    Jake Bugg for sharing his album before it's released!! ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Jimmy, I presume from your name tag you are 28?
    If so, get a life
    At 28 you should not be worrying about people smoking.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
  • Options

Jimmy, I presume from your name tag you are 28?
    If so, get a life
    At 28 you should not be worrying about people smoking.

Bollocks. I'm nearly 40 and people smoking in the bogs pisses me off no end. It's absolutely pathetic - just an extension of the fuckwits who used to smoke in the toilets at school.
  • Options
    If only we had some bikesheds at The Valley.
  • Options
    I've never seen the North Upper gents with the level of smog at ht on Saturday.
  • Options
    I am a smoker and agree that smoking in the toilets is wrong, but some prevision should be made for us. Away fans smoke behind the JS. As we do at most away games.

As for smoking in public places such as the high street, are you guys for real?! The little bit of smoke you may inhale walking to work in london is no worse than the fumes of the 150 or so vehicles that pass you during the same time period. What we going to do, ban the selfish drivers from being on the road while you all work to work so you can smell the roses.
  • Options
    Smoke yourselves to an early death by all means. No problem with that. I just don't want any trace of your habit anywhere near me. Anywhere.
  • Options

Smoke yourselves to an early death by all means. No problem with that. I just don't want any trace of your habit anywhere near me. Anywhere.

Fair enough having a dig at people smoking in the toilets... but stop with this "All smokers are dickheads" attitude.