Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop the smoking at the Valley.

Comments

• Options
    Ban smoking at the Valley - email the club and demand that they take effective action to uphold the law.

customerservices@cafc.co.uk
  • Options

Smoke yourselves to an early death by all means. No problem with that. I just don't want any trace of your habit anywhere near me. Anywhere.

Fair enough having a dig at people smoking in the toilets... but stop with this "All smokers are dickheads" attitude.

cutting their own life short for a very short term "release" whilst their family and friends will have to cope with watching some one they love coughing, wheezing and spluttering their way to an early grave. Yeah, sounds like being a dickhead tbh.
  • Options
    PJW1 said:

Ban smoking at the Valley - email the club and demand that they take effective action to uphold the law.

customerservices@cafc.co.uk

most sensible post so far.
  • Options
    It's an emotive subject - especially where people are talking about their kids.

Although I agree that people should have more self control or consideration, ultimately it is the club who have responsibility to stamp it out.

I'm not a smoker and dislike it for the way it makes you smell in the toilets as much as anything. Having said this, we are talking about a football match and I accept that there will be certain elements of the match day 'experience' that I may not wholeheartedly agree with or like.

People probably don't like being near me when I fart .....which happens quite often. I'm not sure that it has been scientifically proven that I can damage people's health with my passive poo particles however?!?
  • Options
    I disagree that 'the club who have responsibility to stamp it out' what about the responsibility of fans to obey the law? That's the main difference, it is (possibly unfortunately for some) not illegal for you to fart. It is illegal to smoke inside working environments.

It is about time people stop finding someone else to blame and took reasonability for themselves. That's why we end up with such a crap nanny state.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Assuming there is a percentage of our bog smokers that are parents, it's a good bet that their kids will have the same disrespect. Saying it's the clubs responsibility only fuels the nanny state mentality.

ps. I'm a (responsible) smoker.

• Options

I have a crafty smoke in the bogs at half time now and then. If someone told me to put it out though, then I would do out of respect.

I find this a very strange statement. You are, I assume, aware of the fact that it is unpopular for those that don't smoke. Thus, why wait for someone to have the 'courage' to approach you and ask you not to smoke?

Punching someone if the face is also unpopular, but you wouldn't do that but 'stop out of respect' if someone asked you to would you?

I have an aversion to smoking and I don't see that the club has an obligation to provide a smoking area. They have an obligation to uphold the law and stop the smoking in the toilets, however, and if they don't then they do deserve any punishment that comes their way - including having the safety certificate for the whole stand withdrawn for a period of time.

If there is a good business case for providing a smokers area, i.e. if hundreds of fans would stop going if they couldn't have a fag at half time then I don't have a problem with the club providing one.

Until such time as they do, however, the club are being negligent by not policing it, and the fans that smoke in the toilets are being unreasonable.

Just my view, of course but I find the 'alcohol is bad for you' and 'car fumes are bad for you' type of excuses to be complete rubbish. Irrespective as to the validity of the statements they are completely irrelevant to the discussion, but that is, I suppose, the world we live in now. Very few people take responsibility for their actions and have very little respect for others.
    I was aware that it was unpopular, but not to this extent. I just thought it was frowned upon rather than really hated by those that do and don't smoke.

You make a very fair point (although I would never punch someone anyway). So for you and all my other fellow addicks, I will now stop having a ciggy at half time in the toilet. I am doing this out of respect for those that find it disgusting and for the club as well.

Who knows, maybe this will inspire me to give up totally?

• Options
    By law It is the clubs responsibility to enforce this ban. if they do not they are liable for a hefty fine. This is not opinion - this is fact.

I don't want to breathe concentrated second hand smoke.
  • Options

I have a crafty smoke in the bogs at half time now and then. If someone told me to put it out though, then I would do out of respect.

I find this a very strange statement. You are, I assume, aware of the fact that it is unpopular for those that don't smoke. Thus, why wait for someone to have the 'courage' to approach you and ask you not to smoke?

Punching someone if the face is also unpopular, but you wouldn't do that but 'stop out of respect' if someone asked you to would you?

I have an aversion to smoking and I don't see that the club has an obligation to provide a smoking area. They have an obligation to uphold the law and stop the smoking in the toilets, however, and if they don't then they do deserve any punishment that comes their way - including having the safety certificate for the whole stand withdrawn for a period of time.

If there is a good business case for providing a smokers area, i.e. if hundreds of fans would stop going if they couldn't have a fag at half time then I don't have a problem with the club providing one.

Until such time as they do, however, the club are being negligent by not policing it, and the fans that smoke in the toilets are being unreasonable.

Just my view, of course but I find the 'alcohol is bad for you' and 'car fumes are bad for you' type of excuses to be complete rubbish. Irrespective as to the validity of the statements they are completely irrelevant to the discussion, but that is, I suppose, the world we live in now. Very few people take responsibility for their actions and have very little respect for others.
    I was aware that it was unpopular, but not to this extent. I just thought it was frowned upon rather than really hated by those that do and don't smoke.

You make a very fair point (although I would never punch someone anyway). So for you and all my other fellow addicks, I will now stop having a ciggy at half time in the toilet. I am doing this out of respect for those that find it disgusting and for the club as well.

Who knows, maybe this will inspire me to give up totally?

Fair enough.
  • Options
    As a smoker and just finding this thread I will say to other smokers that you'll be amazed how long you can go without having one. There's no way I'd smoke anywhere inside the ground. Rules are rules and that's it. The longer you go without having one the less you even think about it. Smoke before you go in and the longest you'll have to wait is around 2 hours for another puff. Basically in any enclosed area if people don't like it then they shouldn't have to put up with it. Two hours without a cigarette is no sacrifice.

However some of the general comments about smoking on here make me laugh. Not being able to smoke walking down the street in the open air because other people might drop dead if they smell a whiff of it is a joke. The person who made the comparison with traffic fumes is spot on. Do the people who complain about smoking outdoors campaign relentlessly about environmental issues, write letters to their MPs about pollution levels in big cities? Do they fuck! If you walk past a traffic jam anywhere you're breathing in more disgusting shit than you'd believe.

Drinking, smoking, swearing, stinking food in public places, aggressive people having a bad day for whatever reason. Welcome to the world. If anyone wants to live in a bubble...good luck with that.

Sorry I got a bit off topic there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strange that something that has cost many lives, caused many injuries, stretched emergency services, brought terror to innocent people, and cost the country millions in court time has never come up for discussion.

I've tolerated drunks at football grounds, around grounds, on trains and in pubs for 50 years. Unlike the smoking haters on here, I have no problem with responsible social drinking.

One word...Perspective.
  • Options
    is we use smokeless petrol can we burn the smokers------------bastards !
  • Options
    In response to the question of whether those who do not want smoking near them also campaign on other air issue I would pose the opposite question in response:

Do those who smoke where it is illegal also have the same lax attitude to other people who choose to break other laws? If your wallet gets nicked do you report it to the police or just shrug your shoulders and think 'oh well this is just how the world is'?

• Options
    All this smoking talk has given me a craving for a rollie. Have to wait til 5pm when I get out to the staff car park as the new guv'nor banned smoking in January.
  • Options

Smoking only kills smokers, or weak genes who like others' habits as an excuse for their diseases. Let them have their fun/death in peace.

Life goes on or ends for everyone.

And the winner of "Biggest Prat on Charlton Life" is...

Steve Dowman!!

• Options
    I agree with Indigo Joe, I've said before on another of the many smoking threads that I can go acouple of hours without a ciggie but some people just do need their nicotine fix.
    You may laugh, but I feel sick when I smell meat being cooked: Can we ban the smell of burgers ?

(note* Before someone says it, I have been told there isn't any "real" meat in the food kiosks at CAFC).
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Smoking only kills smokers, or weak genes who like others' habits as an excuse for their diseases. Let them have their fun/death in peace.

Steve Dowman!!

Just on Charlton Life?? ;o)
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Steve Dowman!!

Just on Charlton Life?? ;o)
    Probably not...

• Options

I'm lifting him up so he can poo over the door.

Made me laugh!

• Options
    the backing one out over the door bit that is...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All this smoking talk has given me a craving for a rollie. Have to wait til 5pm when I get out to the staff car park as the new guv'nor banned smoking in January.

Your OK then as its November :=)

• Options
    PJW1 said:

Passive smoking is dangerous period.

Banning smoking in public has had a significant and positive influence upon the nations health.

What someone does with their own lungs is up to them but why should my health and comfort be affected by this?

Walking into a Toilet where multiple fans have smoked very quickly is more than just passive smoking.

Smokers can either hold on for a couple of hours or get an e cigarette .

This illegal and the Clib has a ,legal responsibility to uphold the ban.

Shame Steve Dowman had to be sarcastic - Still smokers are always defensive and passive aggressive about their addiction.

Out of interest, assume you spend 4 minutes in the bog (quite a long time for a piss) and go to every league home game. That's 92 minutes of passive smoking over the course of a season.

Considering the body starts to return back to normal immediately after the last puff of a cigarette, what long term damage does 92 minutes of passive smoking cause?

Rather than the passive smoking argument, I just thinking walking in to a bog under a cloud of smoke, especially when kids have to use the toilet, is wrong.
  • Options

PJW1 said:

Banning smoking in public has had a significant and positive influence upon the nations health.

What someone does with their own lungs is up to them but why should my health and comfort be affected by this?

Walking into a Toilet where multiple fans have smoked very quickly is more than just passive smoking.

Shame Steve Dowman had to be sarcastic - Still smokers are always defensive and passive aggressive about their addiction.

Out of interest, assume you spend 4 minutes in the bog (quite a long time for a piss) and go to every league home game. That's 92 minutes of passive smoking over the course of a season.

Considering the body starts to return back to normal immediately after the last puff of a cigarette, what long term damage does 92 minutes of passive smoking cause?

Rather than the passive smoking argument, I just thinking walking in to a bog under a cloud of smoke, especially when kids have to use the toilet, is wrong.
    last line is my main bone of contention - not a smoker myself and don't particularly care, but I take my 2 young daughters to the game and they use the toilet with me at HT, Saturday was the worst it's been
  • Options

(note* Before someone says it, I have been told there isn't any "real" meat in the food kiosks at CAFC).

There isn't any real food in the kiosks.

Apart from a few failed attempts at giving up, I've been smoking for 30 of my 46 years, but really don't have an issue with holding out for 2 hours. I even try to avoid going to the bogs as I even find the smell disgusting. I also have an electronic ciggy that I sometimes take with me to places where I know I won't be able to smoke for a long period of time.

Can anyone tell me if the rules regarding smoking & drinking apply to non-league? I quite often go to watch Ebbsfleet play and people openly stand on the terraces with a fag in one hand and a beer in the other, completely ignored by stewards.........
  • Options
    PJW1 said:

I don't want to breathe concentrated second hand smoke.

Buy your own then.
  • Options

PJW1 said:

Considering the body starts to return back to normal immediately after the last puff of a cigarette...
    Define normal? Are you saying that you think that the body processes tobacco in the same way that it processes alcohol?

• Options

PJW1 said:

MY argument is simple. Smoking is hazardous. passive smoking is also hazardous. Smoking in a public place like a stadium is illegal as part of a response to this. The cLub has a legal obligation to enforce this ban. The fact that the toilets around the valley are full of concentrated cigarette smoke every match, all match, means that they are failing in their duty to take this seriously and enforce it effectively. It is not rocket science to tell if someone is smoking.

Recently I too have seen smokers outside of the toilets and on the concourse, emboldened maybe by the apparent indifference of the Club and Stewards

Incidentally the concentration of smoke is not from one cigarette but many, smoked in a room with little ventilation in a concentrated space of time. Add in all of the other smoke smokers are so generous as to share with me throughout the year and there is an effect!

Research is already showing how even a limited time in a similar environment, such as a car can have a significantly adverse effect on health. The only difference is that most people don't smoke scores of cigarettes in a car in 90 mins.

Smoke if you want to but don't expect me to breathe the smoke which is dangerous and offensive.

Don't delude yourself that smoking is anything else but dangerous to your health and increasing viewed as anti - social and offensive. Don't presume to make assumptions based on your own warped views regarding what is acceptable damage for my health to support others inconsiderate behaviour.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm guessing that every person on here that is concerned about their children being affected/contaminated by passive smoking also banned their children from celebrating November 5th.

The Toxic Elements of Fireworks - Pick Your Poison

Toxic Element Fireworks Usage Toxic Effect of Fallout Dust & Fumes
    Aluminum brilliant whites Contact dermatitis, bioaccumulation
    Antimony sulfide glitter effects Toxic smoke, possible carcinogen
    Arsenic compounds
    Used as colorants. Sadly still out there. [3] Toxic ash can cause lung cancer, skin irritation and wart formation.
    Barium Nitrate glittering greens
    Poisonous. Fumes can irritate respiratory tract. Possible radioactive fallout. [4]
    Copper compounds blues Polychlorinated dioxins and dibenzofurans. [5] Can bioaccumulate. Cancer risk.
    Hexachlorobenzene (HCB) [5] Use was supposed to be banned globally. Persistent environmental toxin. Is a carcinogen, mutagen and a reproductive hazard [13].
    Lead Dioxide / Nitrate / Chloride oxidizer Bioaccumulation, developmental danger for kids & unborn babes, may remain airborne for days, poisonous to plants & animals
    Lithium compounds blazing reds Toxic and irritating fumes when burned
    Mercury (Mercurous chloride) chlorine donor Toxic heavy metal. Can bioaccumulate.
    Nitric oxide fireworks byproduct [6] Toxic by inhalation. Is a free radical
    Nitrogen dioxide fireworks byproduct [6] Highly toxic by inhalation. SIDS risk [8].
    Ozone fireworks byproduct [7] Greenhouse gas that attacks & irritates lungs
    Perchlorate -
    Ammonium & Potassium propellant / oxidizer Can contaminate ground & surface waters, can cause thyroid problems in humans & animals
    Potassium Nitrate in black powder Toxic dusts, carcinogenic sulfur-coal compounds
    Strontium compounds blazing reds Can replace calcium in body. Strontium chloride is slightly toxic.
    Sulfur Dioxide gaseous byproduct of sulfur combustion Acid rain from sulphuric acid affects water sources, vegetation & causes property damage. SIDS risk [8].

The pollution created in the manufacturing of fireworks is another debate.

• Options
    I wouldn't be pleased if a bunch of people lit fireworks in the toilets at The Valley either so it's kind of a mute point.
  • Options
    Producing a list of other dangerous substances in no way reduces the dangerousness of cigarette smoking, or the inconsiderate arrogance of smokers who inflict their toxic smoke on others by illegally smoking en mass in the Valley.

There is overwhelming evidence that smoking, directly or passively, is significantly dangerous and viewed as anti social by most people. Smoke if you want but don't inflict it on me and respect the law and your fellow fans.