Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snooker updates

Comments

• UK Championship 
    Final

Neil Robertson 10-9 Judd Trump

Well that was an epic final, that will really hurt Judd Trump 
  • During the match Neil Robertson did break the record for most centuries in the UK Championship with 13

Previous record was 12 and held by both Hendry and O'Sullivan 
  • That final frame was so tense. 

Could see Robertson overthink nearly every shots 
  • What a dull dull final that turned out to be. Slow and ponderous. Unnecessarily defensive with lots of sideways movement and sending the ball back down the wrong end. Poor quality balls to give possession away. Generally shot shy with some poor finishing leading to a low goal to shot ratio. The crowd were really subdued too. It's like snooker just got Charltonised. 
  • edited December 2020
    man that was a tense battle. knew it would be close between those two but didn't expect it to be such a slog for both players. 

got to be one of the latest finishes for a final. especially for a 19 frame match. 
  • edited December 2020
    Stig said:
    What a dull dull final that turned out to be. Slow and ponderous. Unnecessarily defensive with lots of sideways movement and sending the ball back down the wrong end. Poor quality balls to give possession away. Generally shot shy with some poor finishing leading to a low goal to shot ratio. The crowd were really subdued too. It's like snooker just got Charltonised. 
    Dull?

Really, neither player took a 2 frame lead at any point, it was back and fourth, back and fourth, 4 centuries including Neil Robertson breaking a record and few frames that had brilliant safety battles and an incredibly tense final frame decider settled on the pink.

If thats your idea of dull then wow.

I get the rest of your post was a humoured attempt a piss take off Charlton but I still wouldnt call that final dull, I was thoroughly engrossed
  • edited December 2020
    I'm glad you enjoyed it Paulie. I'll grant you it was an even match so if you had a vested interest it would have been a nail-biter, but I didn't.  I can't get excited over 50 minute frames and whilst I recognize that there was some skillful play it was a match strewn with far more errors than I'd have expected from two of the best in the world. You are right to pick me up on my attempted humour, but as someone who normally enjoys snooker, I was genuinely bored.
  • I was also caught up in the drama of it all. 

Yeah it wasn't pretty at times but for me it was enthralling. 

• I can see both Stig and Paulie's point of view. Last night's final would be an ordeal for many and was characterised by mostly mistakes (that pink!) interspersed with some quality safety play and the occasional exceptional long pot. A proper war of attrition and far from the heights of the semi's in this years World's as could be and not one to get the pulse racing.

But it was still engrossing for me, albeit more seeing which of then would crack first rather than for the entertainment. You could see at the end how much it took out of both players. 
  • I thought that was a great final for entirely different reasons to why I love snooker. Seeing players under pressure making mistakes isn't great sport but it is great entertainment. 

That pink, though. That pink!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    Wow to add to the drama of yesterday 

Amine Amiri has won his first frame against a fellow professional player in 18 months on the tour.

And his first 50+ break in 18 months on the tour.

He now has a new high break of 55 
  • 147 ZHOU YUELONG 

Zhou makes the 164th 147 and his 2nd his last one coming at the Indian Open in 2019
  • Still only 1 match played this afternoon.

Crazy really, i get the players need to be tested but to have results only due back the day of a game is pushing it anyway and can cause issues like this.

Home nations events are already pushing loads of matches in a short space of time and now after day 1 they are 12 matches behind schedule 
  • edited December 2020
    Woo hoo finally got the results for a couple of the 1pm matches and they can start🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Stig said:
    What a dull dull final that turned out to be. Slow and ponderous. Unnecessarily defensive with lots of sideways movement and sending the ball back down the wrong end. Poor quality balls to give possession away. Generally shot shy with some poor finishing leading to a low goal to shot ratio. The crowd were really subdued too. It's like snooker just got Charltonised. 
    Dull?

Really, neither player took a 2 frame lead at any point, it was back and fourth, back and fourth, 4 centuries including Neil Robertson breaking a record and few frames that had brilliant safety battles and an incredibly tense final frame decider settled on the pink.

If thats your idea of dull then wow.

I get the rest of your post was a humoured attempt a piss take off Charlton but I still wouldnt call that final dull, I was thoroughly engrossed
    I am with Paulie here, its nice to see these sorts of matches. Its not always about 1 visits, making centuries and there was a good mix with alot of tight frames and a decider. I actually missed alot of the second session but got back in for the final frame, which turned out to go back and forth and some easy misses, not just the final pink. Easy yellow, looked like a right battle and i am happy Robbo won. 

Robbo was quite deliberate at the end slowing it down more than necessary, but it worked. One point he took 3 minutes to touch a red, trump just got up and hit the ball right away and made a mistake, its not his natural game but he did what was needed and it clearly meant so much to them both. 

Overall great stuff. 
  • Because of the delays on Monday and so many games on Tuesday i decided against doing updates for the early rounds for the scottish open.

Was gonn start today but things caught up with me and as tomorrow is Thursday the day with 2 matches i will start updates then but will briefly go over a few things including how the draw is currently looking 
  • There were first round exits for a couple of top 16 players

Stephen Maguire 
    Yan Bingtao 
    Dave Gilbert

Maguire and Gilbert will be missing out on the World Grand Prix as a result

There were also 1st round defeats for
    Joe Perry
    Graeme Dott
    Gary Wilson 

The defeat for Wilson means he wont be at the Grand Prix either, Perry should be ok and Dott was  22nd so should be ok but it depends how other players behind him get on.

Moving onto round 2

There was a massive match for the race to the Grand Prix, between Mark Allen and Joe O'Connor,  O'Connor was 31st befre the event started while Allen was 35th, Allen won that match 4-2

Lisowski pulled out with food poisoning but he should be safe for the Grand Prix anyway.

Brecel lost and misses out next week whilst there was a shock defeat for Higgins against Noppon Saengkham but again like Lisowski Higgins is safe for next week.

And finally another top 16 player unlikely to be involved in the Grand Prix is Thepchaiya Un-Nooh, his defeat has again left him waiting on other results but this time its very unlikely it will be a successful wait
  • edited December 2020
    Scottish Open
    Round 3

Quarter 1

Mark Selby v Mark Joyce
    Akani Songsermsawad v Lyu Haotian 
    Ricky Walden v Zak Surety 
    Zhou Yuelong v Mark Allen 

Quarter 2

Kyren Wilson v Michael Holt 
    Liam Highfield v Barry Hawkins 
    Sam Craigie v Jamie Jones
    Zhao Jianbo v Eden Sharav 

Quarter 3

Judd Trump v Liang Wenbo 
    Mark Williams v Jackson Page 
    Rob Milkins v Stuart Bingham 
    Li Hang v Noppon Saengkham 

Quarter 4

Shaun Murphy v Jamie O'Neil 
    Ding Junhui v Martin O'Donnell 
    Robbie Williams v Lu Ning
    Tian Pengfei v Ronnie O'Sullivan 
  • Actually looking forward to Williams v Page.

Page is sort of Williams protégé and its the first time they have met in a pro tournament 

Page is sort of Williams protégé and its the first time they have met in a pro tournament 
    yep protege/ apprentice, that should be interesting, Jackson Page has had a bit of a poor season compared to last he was winning a few matches. Hopefully he steps up against the tutor

There has been 2 x 147 this week, i haven't seen either Yuelong and HIggins

Selby has to be due an event surely?good to see the other big names in it and today well see if ROS is up for it, Murphy will be dangerous in that quarter. Allen, there was something going around that he might be borrowing someones cue as he isn't happy at the moment, i didn't read the full story but he has been using different ones most events as he wasn't happy with his one. 

Ideal Quarters: 
    Selby
    Wilson
    Trump
    ROS

I say ideal, as anything can happen today im not predicting anything possibly Trump v Selby/Wilson final? 

• Sponsored links:

yep protege/ apprentice, that should be interesting, Jackson Page has had a bit of a poor season compared to last he was winning a few matches. Hopefully he steps up against the tutor

Selby has to be due an event surely?good to see the other big names in it and today well see if ROS is up for it, Murphy will be dangerous in that quarter. Allen, there was something going around that he might be borrowing someones cue as he isn't happy at the moment, i didn't read the full story but he has been using different ones most events as he wasn't happy with his one. 

Ideal Quarters: 
    Selby
    Wilson
    Trump
    ROS

I say ideal, as anything can happen today im not predicting anything possibly Trump v Selby/Wilson final? 

No just the Zhou Yuelong one I mentioned 

Ideal Quarters: 
    Selby
    Wilson
    Trump
    ROS

No just the Zhou Yuelong one I mentioned 
    Oh really, sorry bud i missed that also not why i have got confused there has been alot lately it seems :)
  • Scottish Open 
    Round 3
    Results

Lyu Haotian 4-3 Akani Songsermsawad 
    Jamie Jones 4-3 Sam Craigie 
    Barry Hawkins 4-3 Liam Highfield 
    Eden Sharav 4-1 Zhao Jianbo 
    Stuart Bingham 4-3 Rob Milkins 
    Ricky Walden 4-0 Zak Surety 
    Kyren Wilson 4-2 Michael Holt 
    Mark Allen 4-3 Zhou Yuelong 
    Ding Junhui 4-0 Martin O'Donnell 
    Li Hang 4-1 Noppon Saengkham 
    Mark Selby 4-2 Mark Joyce 
    Judd Trump 4-2 Liang Wenbo 
    Robbie Williams 4-3 Lu Ning
    Mark Williams 4-1 Jackson Page 
    Jamie O'Neil 4-2 Shaun Murphy 
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-3 Tian Pengfei 
  • edited December 2020
    Jamie O'Neil is quickly becoming one of my most hated players and he has only been on the tour a few months.

Another incident today, he tried to roll up to the black and it looked like he missed ref called a miss and he had a go at her and said no I hit it, she said well it looked to me like you missed it and he got the right hump and said you need to get closer to the table then.

He then had the hump for the rest of the match a couple of frames later he won the match and adter the game as they were packing up there cues he turned to Murphy and said I definitely hit that black.

You won the frame and then went and won the match mate just let it go, if the ref said you didnt hit it then her decision is final, i have since seen video footage that shows he did hit the black but its impossoble to see with the naked eye, and the video had to be zoomed in to actually see it.

Shouldnt be standing their arguing with the ref.

Video 1

Video 2 

• Scottish Open 
    Round 4

Mark Selby v Lyu Haotian 
    Ricky Walden v Mark Allen

Kyren Wilson v Barry Hawkins
    Jamie Jones v Eden Sharav

Judd Trump v Mark Williams 
    Stuart Bingham v Li Hang

Jamie O'Neil v Ding Junhui 
    Robbie Williams v Ronnie O'Sullivan 
  • Not seen this before, great video of a young Trump and White

• Scottish Open
    Round 4
    Results

Li Hang 4-3 Stuart Bingham 
    Jamie Jones 4-3 Eden Sharav 
    Ricky Walden 4-3 Mark Allen
    Kyren Wilson 4-3 Barry Hawkins 
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-1 Robbie Williams 
    Ding Junhui 4-3 Jamie O'Neill
    Judd Trump 4-1 Mark Williams 
    Mark Selby 4-1 Lyu Haotian 
  • Scottish Open 
    Quarter Final 

Mark Selby v Ricky Walden
    Kyren Wilson v Jamie Jones

Judd Trump v Li Hang
    Ding Junhui v Ronnie O'Sullivan 
  • We also now know they top 32 players on the 1 year list, all remaining players in the tournament are already currently inside the top 32 so that cant change, the only thing that can change is seedings and who they will play.

But the 32 players who will be involved at the Grand Prix are

1-Judd Trump 
    2-Neil Robertson 
    3-Mark Selby
    4-Kyren Wilson
    5-Zhou Yuelong
    6-John Higgins
    7-Ronnie O'Sullivan 
    8-Lu Ning
    9-Martin Gould 
    10-Ding Junhui 
    11-Barry Hawkins
    12-David Grace
    13-Joe Perry
    14-Shaun Murphy
    15-Stuart Bingham
    16-Jamie Jones
    17-Jack Lisowski
    18-Anthony McGill
    19-Yan Bingtao 
    20-Ricky Walden
    21-Jak Jones
    22-Zhao Xintong 
    23-Mark Allen
    24-Robbie Williams
    25-Xiao Guodong
    26-Hossein Vafaei 
    27-Ali Carter
    28-Kurt Maflin
    29-Li Hang
    30-Liang Wenbo
    31-Rob Milkins
    32-Michael Holt

As I say positions can still change except the players in bold, they cant move and are guaranteed to be in that position 

Some interesting names who you wouldnt normally expect to see in their as well

Jak Jones
    Hossein Vafaei 
    Making their Grand Prix debuts

David Grace only making his 2nd appearance 
  • edited December 2020
    Jamie O'Neil is quickly becoming one of my most hated players and he has only been on the tour a few months.

Another incident today, he tried to roll up to the black and it looked like he missed ref called a miss and he had a go at her and said no I hit it, she said well it looked to me like you missed it and he got the right hump and said you need to get closer to the table then.

He then had the hump for the rest of the match a couple of frames later he won the match and adter the game as they were packing up there cues he turned to Murphy and said I definitely hit that black.

You won the frame and then went and won the match mate just let it go, if the ref said you didnt hit it then her decision is final, i have since seen video footage that shows he did hit the black but its impossoble to see with the naked eye, and the video had to be zoomed in to actually see it.

Shouldnt be standing their arguing with the ref.

Video 1

Video 2 

He hit it, but still he should accept the refs decision is final. I saw his dramatics and he just kept throwing his toys out the pram, there was alot on twitter but there is videos that prove it hit, although a small issue really as i agree he was being a dick. 

Watched Ronnie last night, his scoreline flattered it was awful. He kept moaning about his tip early saying it was doing completely different things, missed alot, they both did. Robbie Williams got dragged into it and there were a couple close frames which he should have knicked. I think the highest break from RW was in about the 30s, i forget exactly. Most frames there would be 3-4 chances and he would break down, same with Ronnie really there was alot of bad misses and a horrible game to watch. 

Ronnie loses today... 

Edit- I think Ding is a great price 2/1 with bobs lot today, or Evens with a +1.5, i know its dangerous to back against Ronnie as you never know which one will turn up but based on his tip problems and how he struggled i'd be very surprised if he comes out flying. Its not formality but looks a good bet to me. PS. Dont bet if you cant afford to lose it

I have Trump/ Ding/ Selby + Wilson today, smallball plus footy later, yesterday 5/6 in the morning session, had Yuelong to beat Allen which was a decider so not far off. today ill probably get all wrong :p