Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Just to let people know the Snooker 900 starts today at 3pm on sportystufftv.

Basically an idea Jason Francis(the guy who made and runs snooker legends) had to get more exposure to the amateur game and give them some tv time.

Its basically a snooker shootout format 

900 seconds match(hence the name)
    20 second shoot clock
    Ball in hand for a foul 
    Ball has to hit the side or be potted every shot or its a foul
  • Options
    Nice bump Paulie, i had seen this and have on record. Should be interesting , basically the snooker shootout but for amateurs, but lots of older players. Even pool player Jordan Shepherd who has been winning a couple of matches in Q Tour. 

I'll be watching, hope you are good Paul? 
  • Options
    Good to see you post Paulie

presume it is 900 seconds not minutes as 15 hour mathes would get Cliff Thorburn back on board
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

presume it is 900 seconds not minutes as 15 hour mathes would get Cliff Thorburn back on board
    Yeah i meant 900 seconds have edited the original post now
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I genuinely wondered why it was called 900 and hadn't seen it explained anywhere, so thank you the mystery is resolved and i can sleep tonight :):smile:
  • Options
    Watched some of it yesterday.  The standard was generally quite poor, but still entertaining
  • Options
    Watched some of it yesterday.  The standard was generally quite poor, but still entertaining
    Last nights was alot better in fairness, 129 total clearance by Andrew Norman, who went on to win so he is through to finals and thats this week complete. 

Strange format, where someone like Jordan Shepherd got a bad draw and only played the first evening and didn't get another match. All the first losers were guaranteed a second match. So the first day the two winners were Michael Collumb & Richardson, however there was no benefit as on the final night they just random draw it against the 4 losers from the night before. 

The actual games were good, not as frantic as the shootout and alot more safety. There was a significant improvement last night with several breaks above 50, felt a bit harsh none of the original winners won and had no benefit (other than financially).

A couple games nearly turned on their heads with enough time and just about enough balls left, Norman v Richardson was a good example about 50 behind and he needed all the balls, had about 15 seconds on the pink in the green pocket, but had no angle to get down so hit hard and looked like a double hit/push but essentially the white went in and game over, near miss for Richardson, would have been great drama had he completed the comeback. 

• Options
    Mixed doubles event on ITV, starts at 1pm, first session and 7pm second, round robin 4 pairs play 4 frames, point per frame. Top 2 play on Sunday..

Ronnie / Reanne
    Trump / Ng Yee
    Robo / Minks
    Selby / Kenna

something different to watch , i'll be recording it! 
  • Options
    Still we have  the weekly 900 on sportystuff, this week first night Daniel Wells won (was the fave), last night was Aaron Canavan  - winner goes through to finals night 10pm tonight

British open started yesterday on ITV4, Ronnie fell at the first hurdle, already been a few big seeds out Higgins, Williams, Robertson(not playing)  Kyren Wilson (did lose to Hawkins in his defence) Bingham, Murphy and a few i have missed no doubt. Its an open draw so a good chance for the lesser players, best of 7 ITV4 1pm, then evening think around 7pm 
  • Options
    Last nights 900 winner was Aaron Canavan , he joins Andrew Norman (2 qualified) 

Next weeks line up includes Andrew Higginson, Joe Johnson on the first day(Monday)

British Open: 
    The biggest upset was Hawkins lost to Steven Hallworth in a decider 4-3, he actually missed a red for frame ball 3-2 up in the middle think it might have been a bounce out. Had a couple chances at the end missed a pink ( it lost me a bet so was watching on 365 lol) 

current top seeds:
    Trump
    Selby
    Ding
    Xintong
    Allen
    Xintong 
    Only rounds 2/3 today , coverage on itv4 and betting sites

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    So a brief update, another seed or two have fallen: 
    Trump lost to Allen in a decider
    Ding lost to to Robbie Williams (not the singer obviously) 
    Selby beat Lisowski (made a 147 first frame of that match)

so the quarters: 
    Selby v Allen
    R Williams v Lyu Haotian
    Noppon v Jamie Jones
    Day v Sijun

so thats 3 former ranking winners, a chance we could have a new one with the open draw, there has been some crackers each round which i think adds too it. Hence why a few less recognisable in the quarters. 

Heads up, i probably won't be able to update from here as i dont log on over the weekend generally.

• Options
    Mixed doubles event on ITV, starts at 1pm, first session and 7pm second, round robin 4 pairs play 4 frames, point per frame. Top 2 play on Sunday..

Ronnie / Reanne
    Trump / Ng Yee
    Robo / Minks
    Selby / Kenna

something different to watch , i'll be recording it! 
    Forgot to mention/ follow up:
    Mink & Robertson beat Selby/ Kenna in the final 4-2 iirc
    Selby/Kenna won all 3 to go through, Robertson/Mink were bottom before the final day where they had to win 4-0 to give themselves a chance, they did against Trump/NG, Ronnie and Reanne needed a draw to go through on the highest break but lost 3-1 to Selby & Kenna. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    2 players through to the semis

Robbie Williams beats Lyu 5-1, quite a surprise result and the manner of it, I think but i could be wrong but probably his best performance in a ranking event, possibly Quarters before. Please correct me if i am wrong as just guessing.

Mark Allen beats Mark Selby 5-3. 2 centuries a piece in a high quality match, best i've seen Allen play in a while this week and looks a bit trimmer than usual. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I'm going to correct myself as its just come on my twitter, Robbie Williams is through to the last 4 for the third time! 
    previously he reached the semis in the indian open and the snooker shootout.
  • Options
    Selby pulled off a treble in his 147 after losing position. Probably the best shot in any 147 ever.
  • Options
    Selby pulled off a treble in his 147 after losing position. Probably the best shot in any 147 ever.
    Yeah i see that, up there with Ronnie's deep screw left hander imo both class in different ways. 

Ryan Day beat Allen in the final , after a shocking performance in the semis so noone saw it coming. 

This weeks 900 was won by Andrew Higginson, who was the odds on favourite, i didn't watch too much and not really many other standouts bar Joe Johnson who can still pot a ball (long range was class) 

Currently the Hong Kong masters, only 8 players , Selby lost to Fu first round 5-2, Higgins beat trump 5-4, Currently Robbo 4-2 up on Williams (who was called in last minute as Xintong tested positive for Corona. Ronnie v NG around midday UK time on selected betting sites and probably Eurosport 2 
  • Options
    Northern Ireland - Home nations
    Ronnie went out yesterday to David Grace, to be honest it was shocking, he played awful had several chances went 2-0 up and then just looked like he didn't want to be there. Not sure if its down to the old Ronnie, or whether its down to his presenting work in Eurosport which he seems to prefer than playing in the smaller competitions. 

Other top seeds who have lost so far: 
    Lisowski
    Wilson
    Hawkins
    Bingham
    Trump (lost 4-1 to Aaron Hill, fantastic result for him) 
    Ding

White incident, Jimmy had a mare on the table got beaten 4-0 and at one point had a run in with the ref. It was a two way thing, firstly ref called the wrong colour then laughed and apologised but then Jimmy wasn't happy as he had a tricky brown to middle then he sort of gestured (not the middle finger) towards the ref, he then got a warning and you will probably see more on social media for both sides. 

Still pretty early rounds 2/3 being played today and tomorrow quarter finals. 

Snooker 900 - This week alot of shocks, a couple of faves didn't make the finals (Ed Sherav, Josh Thomond), yesterday was the ultImate shocks with lots of close games and the fave losing in most, the final was between senior/seniors both over 65 i believe Patsy Fagon narrowly lost to Phillip Williams, the quality is not that great at times but can be a very nervy and decent watch. Week 6 of 8 next week on sportystuff. 
  • Options
    Ronnie went out yesterday to David Grace, to be honest it was shocking, he played awful had several chances went 2-0 up and then just looked like he didn't want to be there. Not sure if its down to the old Ronnie, or whether its down to his presenting work in Eurosport which he seems to prefer than playing in the smaller competitions. 

Lisowski
    Wilson
    Hawkins
    Bingham
    Ding

White incident, Jimmy had a mare on the table got beaten 4-0 and at one point had a run in with the ref. It was a two way thing, firstly ref called the wrong colour then laughed and apologised but then Jimmy wasn't happy as he had a tricky brown to middle then he sort of gestured (not the middle finger) towards the ref, he then got a warning and you will probably see more on social media for both sides. 

Snooker 900 - This week alot of shocks, a couple of faves didn't make the finals (Ed Sherav, Josh Thomond), yesterday was the ultImate shocks with lots of close games and the fave losing in most, the final was between senior/seniors both over 65 i believe Patsy Fagon narrowly lost to Phillip Williams, the quality is not that great at times but can be a very nervy and decent watch. Week 6 of 8 next week on sportystuff. 
    Here is the incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_vbJcZO8Y

Personally I think Jimmy is in the wrong.  Jimmy calls the ref a dinlo, which the ref laughs off & Jimmy goes back for a second pop.  The referee would've had every right to give Jimmy a warning after the 'dinlo' remark, but gave him a second chance.

That was my take anyway
  • Options

Lisowski
    Wilson
    Hawkins
    Bingham
    Ding

Here is the incident

Personally I think Jimmy is in the wrong.  Jimmy calls the ref a dinlo, which the ref laughs off & Jimmy goes back for a second pop.  The referee would've had every right to give Jimmy a warning after the 'dinlo' remark, but gave him a second chance.

That was my take anyway
    I agree, i can see how the ref's nervous laughter didn't help matters too. But Jimmy should know better, although as he really struggles he's probably overly trying making him react. He did say going into the tourney that he is playing better than ever, but i am sure he says that before everyone. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    NI open brief update
    Higgins OUT
    Murphy OUT
    Yan Bingtao OUT

More seeds are dropping! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Following that brief update yesterday no further top seeds were harmed, well didn't lose!

Quarterfinals today: Best of 9
    12:00pm: Dave Gilbert V Zhou Yuelong 
    2pm: Neil Robertson v Mark Selby

7pm: Mark Allen v Mark Williams
    7pm: Lyu Haotian v Anthony McGill

Matches on Eurosport, with the clash not sure if Haotian/Mcgill will be on Euro2, discovery if not betting sites worst case. 
  • Options
    First matech went on longer than expected Selby v Robbo just started now on Eurosport

Gilbert was 4-2 up and went on to lose 5-4, a good match with both players playing quite well and could have gone either way. 
  • Options

Lisowski
    Wilson
    Hawkins
    Bingham
    Ding

Here is the incident

That was my take anyway
    I agree, i can see how the ref's nervous laughter didn't help matters too. But Jimmy should know better, although as he really struggles he's probably overly trying making him react. He did say going into the tourney that he is playing better than ever, but i am sure he says that before everyone. 
    I'm on Jimmy's side. The ref should not have laughed - very unprofessional. Having said that, I didn't hear what Jimmy said. The commentary team were saying how seriously Jimmy takes it these days, so I'm not surprised he got annoyed.
  • Options
    I have never heard the word 'dinlo' before
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I have never heard the word 'dinlo' before
    I hear it a lot in the pool world ironically lol those so called average/ not good enough players. 

Mark Allen retained the Northern Ireland open (Home Nationss) beating Yuelong in the final, also. climbs to provisional number one for the year list.

Last nights 900, only caught the end of it but Ant Parsons won the night beating Les Dodd in the final. 10pm on sportstuff Monday-Wednesday.
  • Options
    Hey @johnnybev1987 I know you're a keen pool player. I've caught some of the ultimate pool league on freesports recently & watch a lot of their stuff on YouTube.  I noticed some of the top snooker pros have signed up for 2023. Should be fun to watch 
  • Options
    Hey @johnnybev1987 I know you're a keen pool player. I've caught some of the ultimate pool league on freesports recently & watch a lot of their stuff on YouTube.  I noticed some of the top snooker pros have signed up for 2023. Should be fun to watch 
    Hi mate, yep i play pool alot (too much), i do watch ultimate pool, so far Mark Williams, Mark Allen and Ryan Day are joining the tour next year, will be interesting to see how they do. Allen used to play good level pool so probably expect him to do better, MJW lately has been playing as runs a club, will be interesting. I would assume if there is any clashes with WST they wont play that event, but still great exposure for the pool world. 

Ultimate rules is also going to be the new rule set instead of World riles, so will only get bigger. My preference is Blackball which i play county level, but most of the events medway/kent are WR so that will soon change to International, there has been a few comps so far anyway. I think it woudl take at least a few years to see if local leagues stick with WR or go over to international. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Just wondering… was it ever confirmed one way or the other whether Ronnie O’Sullivan actually made a rude gesture in the world final?
    He was officially fined yesterday after it went through appeals which he lost it was proven he did make a rude gesture(although the charge was for 2 one dating back to the UK Championship in 2021)

Fined 2k for making gestures and 2k for costs

Money won't bother him but I'm sure ref is happy he was proved right in the end
  • Options
    Just wondering… was it ever confirmed one way or the other whether Ronnie O’Sullivan actually made a rude gesture in the world final?
    He was officially fined yesterday after it went through appeals which he lost it was proven he did make a rude gesture(although the charge was for 2 one dating back to the UK Championship in 2021)

Fined 2k for making gestures and 2k for costs

Money won't bother him but I'm sure ref is happy he was proved right in the end
    Cheers Paulie, i didn't see that but agree its the right decision. Although the ref didn't help the situation, could have handled better but Jimmy shouldn't have gestured and got moody with him. 

This weeks Snooker 900 winner is former tour player Ant Parsons, wasn't really a great week quality wise be he was deserved winner and never really looked in trouble winning both Monday nights and last night to qualify for the finals.

next week we have 3 former professionals and players around the tour so be a good one to tune in: 
    Michael Holt
    Ross Muir
    Martin O Donnell
    Peter Deviln (people might have heard off as he's quite a character) 

Day 1) you have those 8 players, the semi finalists get a pass onto Wednesday which is the finals night
    Day 2) 4 new entries plus 4 who went out first round the day before, whoever loses first round is going home 
    Day 3) 4 that went through day 1, also joined by 4 who won first matches day 2, they play out to qualify 

Simplest way to put it, each night they have a top price of £2k (guess), but wednesday is the key whoever goes through gets through to finals nights where the top prize of £12k IRRC. 

Its probably more for the purists although slightly different rules, similar to shootout but 15 minutes. Its quite a nervy affair and a few senior players who have surprised a few. starts 10pm so its a bit late, most of the time i catch it when i get back but i do record it and sometimes catch up with ones i have missed, goes on until around 1230 most nights. 

This is all on sportstuff (437 on sky) alternatively you can just go online and type in sportytv live and can watch it on your phone/ browser. 

• Options
    Liang Wenbo suspended AGAIN

was due to play this morning but match was called off and Peter Lines given a walk over and lots of people wondering what had happened.

WPBSA released a statement this afternoon confirming Wenbo is suspended again(2nd time in 2022, after being suspended following a conviction of assault earlier this year)

Apparently this suspension is nothing to do with his earlier suspension and is a separate misconduct charge, so wonder what he has been up to now