Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    IAgree said:
    Let us all reaffirm our loyalty to beer before the heinous onslaught of dry January
    And drink out to help out!
  • Options

Trying a black larger in zero degree in Blackheath. 

Some of best beers are black.
  • Options
    Got a selection box from Iron Pier brewery in Gravesend which looks quite nice. Only had their hazy pale ale so far and very quaffable 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Just had my first one of these. Think they're a quid each in tesco atm. Didn't like it much to start with but the dark, malty flavour grew on me as the bottle went down. Ended up really rather liking it and will buy a few more at the offer price. I think a lot of people won't like this - it's VERY malty and 'wortish' with no discernible hoppiness, but I like the dark style for winter evenings.
    Decent as far as zero alcohol beers go in my view.
  • Options
    Had a very lightweight Christmas break due to illness so only now really catching up with some festive beers.

Above is Santa's Hop Sack, a NEIPA from Amundsen brewery in Oslo. They are fast becoming one of my favourites. Only 5.3% but plenty of body. Quite citrusy but without crossing the line into tropical.

This was okay. Nothing more really. Packs a punch, plenty of depth but didn't get the promised panettone. Would need to try again when I wasn't suffering from a cold.

This one was a definite miss for me. I like a sour normally but this was a struggle. Possibly my taste was off tbh as my marking was well down on Untapped.

Ever reliable effort from Brew York though and I have their imperial version lined up for later. 
  • Options
    Digging some out of the archive tonight - Alchemist Wild Child Kriek. 7.4%, really nice. Not too sour, really good cherry flavor. From the makers of heady topper. They don’t do lot of sours, and the base version wasn’t that special, but this was way better. 

• Options
    I was thinking I could get through three bottles tonight, but this one is a bit of a monster - Lamplighter Luminary 2023 II - 12.5% of breakfast stout, aged in bourbon barrels with cinnamon and vanilla. 

Very smooth, I was expecting boozy, but it really isn’t. Cinnamon is very faint, the coffee is the most prominent flavor, with the vanilla and bourbon paying a fleeting visit 

• Options
    Hudson Valley Graven Image - by far the best sour IPA I’ve had. I could drink this all night, if it wasn’t 8%. 

• Options
    Had some nice beers in Burslem from the local Titanic Brewery at the Port Vale match today;

The pale ale (that was a proper English ale, not some lagery American imitation):

the Plum Porter on the recommendation of @MrWalker that had a bit of a kick at 6.5%

The IPA, which again was a traditional English IPA rather than the new fangled fizzy stuff (which, depressingly is actually my favourite style of beer):

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A very pleasant stout from Brass Castle brewery in Yorkshire courtesy of Little Miss Idle's boyfriend
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Had some nice beers in Burslem from the local Titanic Brewery at the Port Vale match today;

The pale ale (that was a proper English ale, not some lagery American imitation):

the Plum Porter on the recommendation of @MrWalker that had a bit of a kick at 6.5%

The IPA, which again was a traditional English IPA rather than the new fangled fizzy stuff (which, depressingly is actually my favourite style of beer):

I get that pint of Titanic went down well!
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    se9addick said:

I get that pint of Titanic went down well!
    Not unless you have a bit of ice with it.
  • Options
    This is terrific. A DDH IPA from the Prizm Brewery just outside Montpellier. 6.5% with a little gingery kick though there's no ginger in it. Truly lovely.
  • Options
    Lucky Saint have released an IPA, anyone tried it yet?
  • Options
    A rarity today - Winter Hill Brewery Rust, a 3.8% mild. A pleasant change from all the high octane IPAs. 

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    A very pleasant stout from Brass Castle brewery in Yorkshire courtesy of Little Miss Idle's boyfriend

I was in their taproom over the Xmas break and - as always - brought a nice selection home with me...they have a membership scheme where (for approx £25), you get 10% off all beers plus one evening a year where they give you a glass and let you pour what you wnat from the tanks until they're dry... If only I lived a little closer...
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    This is terrific. A DDH IPA from the Prizm Brewery just outside Montpellier. 6.5% with a little gingery kick though there's no ginger in it. Truly lovely.
    You can't say Ginger.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Titanic Plum Porter is fantastic but always sells out in hours at my local watering hole.
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Let us all reaffirm our loyalty to beer before the heinous onslaught of dry January
    On day ten of dry January…Ho Hum!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 17

Not a Weiss bier despite the name, however quite unlike any of the typical lagers, Leo, Changa, etc. here in Thailand. Probably their best widely available beer. 
  • Options
    I thought I’d post this one - Spanish Marie Brewery (Miami), Keeping It Loki. 5% sour, made with pineapple ice cream, mango and honeydew melon. It really just tastes like pineapple. Not sour, just that acidic sharpness you get from pineapple. Not bad, but not as good as some folk think. 

It looks nice, although I'm not sure I could drink more than one.
  • Options
    I thought I’d post this one - Spanish Marie Brewery (Miami), Keeping It Loki. 5% sour, made with pineapple ice cream, mango and honeydew melon. It really just tastes like pineapple. Not sour, just that acidic sharpness you get from pineapple. Not bad, but not as good as some folk think. 

It looks nice, although I'm not sure I could drink more than one.
    Vault City had a green beer out around Halloween, you can still find it around.
  • Options
    Happy Verdant 'Putty Day' to all who celebrate. Must admit, I wasn't that bothered by last years offering,  but got suckered in today and 6 cans are winging their way to me... Good birthday bundle out from Pollys Brewing today too, and Cloudwater about to release v16 of its DIPA series... Thank goodness dry January is just over halfway through...wet February is taking shape...
  • Options
    Happy Verdant 'Putty Day' to all who celebrate. Must admit, I wasn't that bothered by last years offering,  but got suckered in today and 6 cans are winging their way to me... Good birthday bundle out from Pollys Brewing today too, and Cloudwater about to release v16 of its DIPA series... Thank goodness dry January is just over halfway through...wet February is taking shape...
    The whole Putty thing is overatted. It's not even their best beer. Fruit Sight Car is.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    The whole Putty thing is overatted. It's not even their best beer. Fruit Sight Car is.

I'm not a fan of most of their beers...they don't brew them for long enough for my taste....some of them come out with an aroma of onions...this was an impulse buy (suckered in) thanks to being halfway through dry Jan ... That said, they did a couple of good collabs with Green Cheek last year, which I really did like... Will continue to buy the Cloudwater V series...and keep an eye on LHG too, as they do some good stuff....and then it'll be watching for good collabs, before Chubbles appears later in the year...
  • Options
    Mount St Bernard Abbey - Tynt Meadow

I bought a bottle of this nearly 4 years ago, stuck it in the cellar, and have just drunk it.
    I only bought one because I was afraid that brewing the first English Trappist beer might be just a gimmick, especially as the brewery was then only a couple of years old, and at 7.4% ABV it's weaker than its Belgian and Dutch equivalents. 
    I was wrong, and I wish I'd filled the car boot.  It's superb.  An immensely rich aroma, a port-like, malty, complex flavour with balancing bitterness.  Its strength is perfect for sipping.
    It's bottle conditioned, so it improves with keeping. I drank this one 18 months AFTER its best before date, which is probably at its peak.
    It's more expensive now, but I found it at Eltham Wines at £3.50 a bottle, which is good value for a beer of this quality, especially as they knock off a pound if you buy four bottles.  So the ones I just bought should peak in about four years time.  I'll have to buy a few every few months so I have a steady supply.

The monks have brewed another couple of beers since starting with this one, and a dry cider, but they seem hard to find, and I've never seen them. The beers are a strong bitter called Quintus, and a blond, both around 5% ABV.  Has anyone here come across them?

• Options
    PopIcon said:

I'm not a fan of most of their beers...they don't brew them for long enough for my taste....some of them come out with an aroma of onions...this was an impulse buy (suckered in) thanks to being halfway through dry Jan ... That said, they did a couple of good collabs with Green Cheek last year, which I really did like... Will continue to buy the Cloudwater V series...and keep an eye on LHG too, as they do some good stuff....and then it'll be watching for good collabs, before Chubbles appears later in the year...
    Verdant are possibly my favourite brewery. Fruit Sight Car, Even Sharks, Gus etc. I could drink them all day.

I occasionally check out Cloudwater. The Chubbles series are usually between £10/£12 a can, i find it hard to justify at those prices.
  • Options
    Mmmm getting serious now, they're messing with my 'go to' John Smiths beer.  :/

• Options
    John Smiths is a foul pint, they couldnt possibly make it worse