Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

Parrotdog Limited Release - Blueberry & Mango Double Sour.

Nom nom. But tastes more like a cider than a beer. Dangerous stuff at 7.6% 💥
  • Options
    Strawberry, blackberry and vanilla sour from the Crooked River Brewing Co in Cumbria. Gentle on the sour and subtle with the fruit. I expected a bit more colour, but it's a really easy drinking beer that you could drink all night. Very good. I'm sure Kenneth Williams would love a beer from Cockermouth with a fruity tarty base too.
  • Options
    addickson said:
    My first visit to the Loch Lomond Brewery Tap. This was a pint of Bravehop. But my favourite was their Zoom Time with which I raised a toast to my new great niece, Imke 😊🍻
    Is it possible to design a more pretentious venue?
  • Options
    Yesterday i was designed chauffeur for my partner and her friend, taking them up for a womens retreat. Fortunately it was near the Alchemist brewery, home of Heady Topper, the beer that, supposedly, started the NEIPA craze. I thought I’d stop in for one and pick up some cans. They had hand pulled heady topper. It’s not from cask, but no co2 dispense. It was pretty good, tasted more bitter than the can. 

• Options
    Switchback Brewery. I had to talk myself into going here. Most of their beers are pretty unremarkable. Once inside I saw all their better beers were not on tap, so I went with unusual. Smoke 40, a 5.9% smoked IPA. I’ve never had a smoked IPA before, and it isn’t bad. The smoke is quite subtle, not like full on rauchbier. A little sweet on the aftertaste, but between those two flavors you be hard pressed to find any bitterness. 

• Options
    Another mediocre brewery - Queen City. I’m always hopeful that this type of brewery has a special on tap that makes it worthwhile. Not today - this is Argument, supposedly a traditional English IPA. Unsurprisingly it’s not. Very yeasty with barely a hop in sight. A quick check of the remaining beer list, which is extensive, tells me I won’t be hanging around. 

• Options
    Tried some Brewdog Shore Leave recently, £4 for 4 large cans in Tesco. I'm not a fan of brewdog generally, but this is ok as a session beer, a bit like Doom Bar, which I think is a bit boring but not unpleasant. Fine at the discounted price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Directly opposite Queen City, Zero Gravity Brewing, which despite its name, has nothing to do with nonalcoholic beer. Duck Duck Juice, 6.6% IPA. Nice to be back to normal beer. Nothing exceptional, just a bog standard NEIPA, but very drinkable. 

• Options
    Today I learnt something. I like bitter beers, so I’ve always assumed that IBU would be a decent guide. After my Queen City experience, which had a 55 IBU, i had to read up on the subject. That beer, imho, had zero bitterness. It turns out that there are two ways of measuring this - send it off to a lab for testing, or use a calculation. I’m guessing most smaller brewers would do the latter. That calculation will tell you the bitterness from the hops, but it won’t tell you anything about other ingredients that may offset the bitterness. You learn something every day. 
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of this. It might not be very trendy, not being cloudy or sour, not having odd ingredients or trendy artwork and coming from an established brewer. But, it's got this going for it: It's relatively cheap and it tastes great.

• Options
    A change - Citizen Cider. New England is full of cider producers. Citizen pops up all over the place, and their main offerings are pretty boring. But in the taproom we have a decent version of one of my favorite styles - Lake Hopper, 6.2% hopped cider. Not bad, although UFF in Portland is still my winner in this category. 

• Options
    Lager. Cold. Lovely.
  • Options
    Another day, another beer(or two). Just one brewery on the agenda. Foam Brewers are right on the lakeside in downtown Burlington. It’s a fantastic spot for an afternoon beer. This is Magnetic Fields : Nugget. 8% DIPA made, not surprisingly, with nugget hops. Very fruity  

• Options
    I've been to Burlington @SomervilleAddick (about 12 years ago) but I don't remember there being a craft brewery on every corner! You're having a cracking beer tasting weekend there for sure. 
  • Options
    I've been to Burlington @SomervilleAddick (about 12 years ago) but I don't remember there being a craft brewery on every corner! You're having a cracking beer tasting weekend there for sure. 
    Foam is pretty recent. Maybe 6-7 years. The others are outside downtown, about 2 miles, taking in some of Vermonts finest road works, including a spot where both sides of the road had signs telling me the sidewalk was closed and I needed to cross. 
  • Options

Cracking find here in Cuiabá although by their standards very expensive.  £5 did not get a pint.
    I put money on a card and was able to pour however much you liked from the taps and your credit was reduced in accordance to the quantity poured.
    My last pennies were used having a second helping of this very tasty APA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another Friday, another beer tour. Not as far to walk as last week as all the breweries are clustered together. 

First up - Goodfire Watt, 5.8% Pale Ale. Very light, refreshing. A little fruity, but not as much as the NEIPAs. 

• Options

Ok, something different. Urban Farm Fermentory. Although they do make some beer, they are really a cider/kombucha maker. 

I haven’t been here for a while, so a bit of kombucha tasting. These are all 1.5%. 

Anise Hyssop - I had to look up hyssop, used as a medicine and paired with anise, it’s a bit bland but smells like germaline. 

Arctic Kiwi - can’t say I tasted any kiwi. Just tasted like sour black tea, which is fine. 

Ginger - tastes like ginger, and one of my favorites. 

Ghost Chili - not as ferocious as I expected, but still hot. I won’t be drinking that by the pint, but it certainly livens up the tastebuds. 

Hopped - definitely hopped, but sweet/sour. An odd one. 

• Options
    Bonus from UFF - Barrel Aged Arlo - 6.9% cider made with golden delicious aged in Maine Craft Distillers barrels. Doesn’t say what was in the barrels, but the effect is that it smell like calvados. Flavor is very light apple, very dry. 

• Options
    The longest walk between breweries.  That must have been 4 minutes.  Now at Belleflower, my favorite small brewery in Portland. Hexology, 7.3% NEIPA. Smooth, but not as fruity as most, and quite dry. Best pared with food from the taco truck. 

• Options
    Somerville is living the life ( even if I can’t stand sours) 
  • Options
    Extended the walk between breweries. This must have been 5 minutes. Rising Tide - one of the older breweries who I think have been left behind in the quality race. But this is their wet hop, Maine Harvest and it’s a pleasant enough old school IPA. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Somerville is living the life ( even if I can’t stand sours) 
    This is like doing the Bermondsey Beer Mile, which is on my list off things to do. I’ve been to a few of the breweries, but never done the whole thing.