Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Winter Hill Brewery Moos Joose - 6.5% old style IPA. Not fruity, very hoppy, just like it should be. Best local version I’ve had for a while. 

• Options
    Drinkflation.

Apologies if posted before, but I note breweries are now reducing alcohol content in a bid to reduce tax.  

Drinks will be taxed by alcoholic strength from 1 August when a new alcohol duty regime comes into effect.  

Under the new tax system, producers will save between 2p and 3p per bottle or can.  Brands which have allegedly already reduced alcohol content include Spitfire, Old Speckled Hen, Foster's and Bishops Finger.

Work from the alcohol research group at the University of Sheffield said that if breweries reduced alcohol percentages by just 0.35 they could save an estimated £250m on tax.

https://news.sky.com/story/drinkflation-beer-makers-reduce-alcohol-content-to-pay-less-tax-12905447

Alcohol Duty has always been calculated on ABV. The new system seeks to simplify the existing structures.
  • Options
    Bring back Skol 1080
  • Options
    The whole ABV thing has got me.
    Go in a micro pub and have 4 pints of 4.5% ale.
    Do the equivalent with a branded lager and only one will make me feel like I have had a few

• Options
    Drinkflation.

Apologies if posted before, but I note breweries are now reducing alcohol content in a bid to reduce tax.  

Drinks will be taxed by alcoholic strength from 1 August when a new alcohol duty regime comes into effect.  

Under the new tax system, producers will save between 2p and 3p per bottle or can.  Brands which have allegedly already reduced alcohol content include Spitfire, Old Speckled Hen, Foster's and Bishops Finger.

Work from the alcohol research group at the University of Sheffield said that if breweries reduced alcohol percentages by just 0.35 they could save an estimated £250m on tax.

https://news.sky.com/story/drinkflation-beer-makers-reduce-alcohol-content-to-pay-less-tax-12905447

Alcohol Duty has always been calculated on ABV. The new system seeks to simplify the existing structures.
    I realise that, but from a beer drinker's point of view the product is changing because of companies reaction to the increased taxation.  Some foreign beers made under licence in the UK already bear little resemblance to the original products - perhaps it would be honest to call it something different.  Well that's certainly the case if this charming chap is to be believed with his analysis of Stella. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R87jcKb0OAo

From Gov.UK

At the current VAT rate, and assuming 100% pass through wherever alcohol is purchased, from 1 August 2023 the tax on a typical:

• 4% ABV pint of draught beer will be 0 pence higher.
    • 4% ABV 500ml bottle of non-draught beer will be 5 pence higher.
    • 5% ABV pint of draught cider will be 2 pence higher.
    • 5% ABV 500ml bottle of non-draught cider will be 5 pence higher.
    • 40% ABV 25ml serving of whisky will be 3 pence higher.
    • 5.4% ABV 250ml can of spirits-based RTD will be 6 pence lower.
    • 11% ABV 250ml glass of still wine will be 5 pence higher.
     https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-alcohol-duty-rates/alcohol-duty-rate-changes#:~:text=Impact on individuals, households and families&text=At the current VAT rate,will be 5 pence higher.

• Options

• Options
    cafcbrown said:

A lot of fizz in that.
  • Options

As the Brasilians do it over here, buy a 600ml bottle and share :'(
    Mrs Elfs is with her friends on the next table, I'm buying my own!!

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Don’t think this is beatable when it comes to lager. Amazing drop 
  • Options
    Very odd, and not wholly pleasant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saulc23 said:
    Nectar. Bought a case of 20... If recall I've a couple left. To the refrigerator!
  • Options
    Another day, another Trillium. This is one of their “little” series of beers - IPAs all in the 5.5% range. Wee Kiwi - made with Nelson Sauvin & Riwaka hops. Fruity up front but with quite a dry finish. Good for a hot day, like today. 

• Options
    Just had a 6% Mana smoothie sour by Liverpool brewery Azvex. Very smooth and fruity especially for a summer’s evening. 
  • Options
    Lucky you.
  • Options
    Just had a 6% Mana smoothie sour by Liverpool brewery Azvex. Very smooth and fruity especially for a summer’s evening. 

• Options
    Visited Paestum in Italy last Sunday, a wonderful site with three Greek temples. Took three hours to walk around so a beer was definitely called for. Found one from a local brewery that turned out to be a bottle conditioned red ale; very nice! Unfortunately, the waitress tipped the sediment of my wife's beer into her glass, so I did my own!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Saulc23 said:
    Nectar. Bought a case of 20... If recall I've a couple left. To the refrigerator!
    Nice in the hot weather Helles - Wikipedia.
  • Options
    This has to be one of the best sours I’ve had for a while. Not too sour, the fruit isn’t overdone. Really well balanced and very smooth to drink for a sour. Lamplighter Luminary 3 - 2023

• Options
    I've drank lager mostly over the last 30 years but something made me try a Guinness again about Feb/Mar time for the first time since I was 19 and I bloody loved it.

Have drunk more Guinness than lager since.  Been an absolute game changer for me, so much less bloating for days after and my belly copes with it so much better.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I've drank lager mostly over the last 30 years but something made me try a Guinness again about Feb/Mar time for the first time since I was 19 and I bloody loved it.

Have drunk more Guinness than lager since.  Been an absolute game changer for me, so much less bloating for days after and my belly copes with it so much better.
    And the extra bonus from drinking lots of Guiness is that the next day you can tarmac your drive!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was over on Untapped a couple years ago and someone posted something very similar with the caption, "looks lile orange juice, smells like orange juice, tastes like orange juice", then gave it five/five. I thought, if you're so desperate for orange juice, why not just buy a ltr? It will be a game changer for you!
  • Options
    I've found the quality of Aldi beers to be quite patchy and they stopped doing my favourite Phantom pale ale a while ago. However, I'm now working through their Lock Ten range and finding them to be pretty good. The four styles of pale ale are well flavoured, I've just got the lager to try now.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I've found the quality of Aldi beers to be quite patchy and they stopped doing my favourite Phantom pale ale a while ago. However, I'm now working through their Lock Ten range and finding them to be pretty good. The four styles of pale ale are well flavoured, I've just got the lager to try now.
    I like the bottled Dorset IPA they do in Aldi - not yet tried the Lock Ten range. Might pick some up later. 
  • Options
    I have a good friend coming over from the states at the end of the month and he can't drink. So what non-alcoholic beers do you all recommend? Preferably ones that are easy to get hold of! Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Guinness 0/0 is very good, Aldi Rheinbacher lager is pleasant if well chilled, but doesnt bear much resemblance to a pilsner.  Days pale ale and Ghost Ship are very good (Tesco, among others). Doom Bar is too malty for my taste. Of course you can get Becks zero, but on the basis that Becks is flavourless and awful I have assumed the 0% is even worse. Brewdog AF beers are all revolting, but Im not a big fan of brewdog beers anyway.
  • Options
    Carlsberg zero tastes like normal carlsberg... Good for a BBQ so get a few in. Guinness zero is superb
  • Options
    Also find out what he normally drinks. Shloer is the ultimate non alcoholic drink!
  • Options
    I have a good friend coming over from the states at the end of the month and he can't drink. So what non-alcoholic beers do you all recommend? Preferably ones that are easy to get hold of! Thanks
    McBobbin said:
    Carlsberg zero tastes like normal carlsberg... Good for a BBQ so get a few in. Guinness zero is superb
    Think I may have said this before but Brooklyn - Special Effects I enjoy. Readily available in Tesco. Advertised as a “hoppy lager” but more of an American pale ale.

Best AF lager - Lucky Saint. Also readily available in supermarkets 
  • Options
    Was at Olympia for GBBF (The Great British Beer Festival) on Wednesday. Not been for a few years, and seemed quieter than before, which made it much nicer than when the bars were rammed.

Quite steep to get in,  £14 entrance fee for CAMRA members (£16 for non members).