Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Was at Olympia for GBBF (The Great British Beer Festival) on Wednesday. Not been for a few years, and seemed quieter than before, which made it much nicer than when the bars were rammed.

Quite steep to get in,  £14 entrance fee for CAMRA members (£16 for non members).
    I was there yesterday. The layout's changed a little but it seemed very similar to last year in terms of numbers. I know they've done a lot of work, post Covid, in making sure there's plenty of room to move around the bars and to limit any bottlenecks (ironically!).

I thought the diversity of beers was well down on previous years this time and some of the more established brewers were missing e.g no Tiny Rebel, Fullers, Adnams, etc. Not a bad thing necessarily IMO as I go to try out the weird and wacky stuff anyway.

Best of the day for me was probably Wilde Child's Clique Fiesta, as I really like those Biscoff biscuits they stick in.

As for sours, this one was probably pick of the bunch and a nice palate cleanser (or stripper) before heading home.

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Carlsberg zero tastes like normal carlsberg... Good for a BBQ so get a few in. Guinness zero is superb
    But normal Carlsberg is poor. 
    It's one of the few lagers I try to avoid.
  • Options
    In São Paulo for the next four nights, I think I'll have another one of these

• Options
    Was at Olympia for GBBF (The Great British Beer Festival) on Wednesday. Not been for a few years, and seemed quieter than before, which made it much nicer than when the bars were rammed.

Quite steep to get in,  £14 entrance fee for CAMRA members (£16 for non members).
    I was there yesterday. The layout's changed a little but it seemed very similar to last year in terms of numbers. I know they've done a lot of work, post Covid, in making sure there's plenty of room to move around the bars and to limit any bottlenecks (ironically!).

I thought the diversity of beers was well down on previous years this time and some of the more established brewers were missing e.g no Tiny Rebel, Fullers, Adnams, etc. Not a bad thing necessarily IMO as I go to try out the weird and wacky stuff anyway.

Best of the day for me was probably Wilde Child's Clique Fiesta, as I really like those Biscoff biscuits they stick in.

As for sours, this one was probably pick of the bunch and a nice palate cleanser (or stripper) before heading home.

I showed this pic to Mrs Elfs, she was very upset <3
  • Options
    In São Paulo for the next four nights, I think I'll have another one of these

That Heineken gets everywhere. 
  • Options

Not in the least bit cheesey .....
  • Options

• Options

Not beer ..... but look at that bad boy!
  • Options
    Raided the "I saw you coming" alcohol shop in Broadstairs... Not bad

• Options
    edited August 2023

Still a bit 'see through' the glass but has a bit of oomph, thought that I'd have a toast to Challinor having not made a wrong decision.
    Mr Challinor, you owe me £1.30 :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Picked up a few Brew York beers during a recent promotion, which I'm working my way through. Don't think I've ever had a bad drop from them but this one...

...is probably the best beer I've had this year.

This one, very different in style...

...but also excellent and just the right amount of sourness.

Lots going on in both beers but nothing overpowering everything else. 
  • Options

A quick subway ride out to Grimm, and time for other sour (as they had us standing outside in the sun while they opened late). Super Swoon, 4.5% dry hopped gose. Tart and refreshing. 

• Options
    Grimm Falcon Wing Door - 7% IPA with citra, simcoe, el dorado and falconers flight. Not super hoppy, not flowery or fruity, dry finish. It’s like all the hops cancel each other out. 

• Options

Kings County Brewers Collective (KCBC) a long time collaborator with Other Half. 

First up Dead Lasso - 5.5% sour with cherries and raspberry. Not bad, but not as good as Evil Twin.

7th Orbit - DDH Double IPA. Very pleasant. Easy drinking for 8%. 

Year 7 - I’ve been keeping away from the real high octane stuff all day, but I figured this would be my last one today. 14.5% barrel aged imperial stout with cacao nibs, hazelnuts and vanilla beans. It’s an absolute  beauty, very smooth, but definitely a bit boozy. 

• Options

Kings County Brewers Collective (KCBC) a long time collaborator with Other Half. 

First up Dead Lasso - 5.5% sour with cherries and raspberry. Not bad, but not as good as Evil Twin.

7th Orbit - DDH Double IPA. Very pleasant. Easy drinking for 8%. 

Year 7 - I’ve been keeping away from the real high octane stuff all day, but I figured this would be my last one today. 14.5% barrel aged imperial stout with cacao nibs, hazelnuts and vanilla beans. It’s an absolute  beauty, very smooth, but definitely a bit boozy. 

Cracking glasses they are serving you.
  • Options
    Hands up all who want to fly to NYC and go drinking with @SomervilleAddick .... Am hoping to make Other Half's Green City next summer...see you there...
    They open in an hour, I saved them for today. 
  • Options
    Here you go @Charlton_Charlie

I’m starting with a Doug, which feels a bit thin and watery despite its color, and the the hops whack you at the back of your mouth. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I’m starting with a Doug, which feels a bit thin and watery despite its color, and the the hops whack you at the back of your mouth. 

4oz? Isn't that 1/5 pint or just over 100ml?  Someone please correct my maths.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

No, you’re right. 1/5 Imperial pint, 1/4 American pint. The taster prices don’t seem to bear any relation to the bigger glass - $4 for 4oz of Blue Crab, but $9 for 16oz. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023

I am extremely jealous... first went there about 7 or 8 years ago, when it was just a really small tasting room about 10ft square with a tiny bar in the corner...always, always been one of my favourites and will order pretty much whatever they have whenever a shop or brewery (usually Cloudwater) gets some stock in over here... Got one last can of Green City (via Cloudwater) left in my beer fridge... From that selection, I think I'd be starting on the Chicken and Broccoli.. Enjoy...
  • Options
    I went for the Dank Ivy - very tasty, and very definitely Other Half. It’s interesting that two of the best breweries around (Other Half and Trillium) do seem to have unique house characteristics that I just can’t pin down. 

And next time you’re here- get the Cajun Dill crisps. They are really good. 

• Options
    PopIcon said:

No, you’re right. 1/5 Imperial pint, 1/4 American pint. The taster prices don’t seem to bear any relation to the bigger glass - $4 for 4oz of Blue Crab, but $9 for 16oz. 
    So I’m told it’s to discourage people from buying lots of 4’s which slows down service on busy days, and they have lots of those. But the bartender said they’d have no problem with me buying a 16oz beer and asking for four taster glasses. 
  • Options
    @Charlton_Charlie Thanks for the heads up on Green City. I didn’t know they did that. I’ve just followed them, if I can, I’ll add it to next years trips. 

Drinking the Chicken & Broccoli now. Very smooth, maybe a bit too smooth. I think the Dank Ivy was just a little more interesting. The good news is the skies have opened (again) so I may have to have another. 
  • Options
    One last beer at Other Half, otherwise I won’t make it to tonight’s gig. Three times Three - a collaboration between 7 breweries. 10% IPA, hoppy as you’d expect, but also smooth and way to drinkable. 

One last thing, I was outside on the phone and took this photo. These are all full cans, waiting for labels, just sitting out on the street. 

• Options

The beer out in Brazil may be s*** but the caipirinha's are fantastic.
  • Options
    This number from Recife is great.  Very fruity and a lot of body.
    I'll tuck into the mango next!

• Options
    My first visit to the Loch Lomond Brewery Tap. This was a pint of Bravehop. But my favourite was their Zoom Time with which I raised a toast to my new great niece, Imke 😊🍻