Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Here’s a new one, Earth Eagle Brethren Code. A white stout with coconut, coffee beans and cocoa nibs aged on rum soaked oak chips. Small brewery in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Currently home to members of the Royal Navy on their last night before a tour. It’s a bit lively. 

The beer isn’t bad - 8.6% so a sipper. Can’t taste coconut or rum, can taste coffee and cocoa. 

• Options
    Sounds absolutely horrific. But at least it looks a bit better than your usual.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Sounds absolutely horrific. But at least it looks a bit better than your usual.
    Southampton is Old Hampshire?
  • Options

Lighthouse at Cascais and a pleasant local beer. 
  • Options

The caipirinhas here are nice, after 3 or 4 you have a good night's sleep!
    Out of interest what are the prices like for booze in Brazil?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

For 600ml bottles like this, around £1.50 that includes the Brazilian stuff.  
    On the rare occasion you find an IPA they are about £2.
    The Green one averages out at £3.
    The stuff out here is not fantastic.
  • Options
    Can’t taste coconut or rum, can taste coffee and cocoa. 

Perhaps you should try a coffee shop rather than a pub.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I suppose I blend in well over here  :disappointed:
    £6 a bottle is reasonable, any takers please PM me and I'll bring next time I'm over :)
  • Options
    I found in Brazil they almost dared you to stop them pouring spirits into their cocktails. Got good value. The beers I liked were brahma, Antarctica and Kaiser... Gnats piss but v. refreshing when cold on a hot day
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    I found in Brazil they almost dared you to stop them pouring spirits into their cocktails. Got good value. The beers I liked were brahma, Antarctica and Kaiser... Gnats piss but v. refreshing when cold on a hot day
    Antarctica is alright, they are massive on Heineken over here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@McBobbin you should be here, watching the City game and for 3 1/2 hours you can literally help yourself to unlimited Bramah for £20
  • Options

For 600ml bottles like this, around £1.50 that includes the Brazilian stuff.  
    On the rare occasion you find an IPA they are about £2.
    The Green one averages out at £3.
    The stuff out here is not fantastic.
    Cheers mate. That's good 👍
  • Options

@McBobbin you should be here, watching the City game and for 3 1/2 hours you can literally help yourself to unlimited Bramah for £20
    Nice! I'd love to go back
  • Options
    Beautiful sunny day at Tree House Brewing in Charlton, Massachusetts. These guys are right up there with Trillium. This is the Emperor Julius Guava, 8.8% Imperial IPA. Very guava aroma, but very subtle taste. Very drinkable. 

• Options
    Beautiful sunny day at Tree House Brewing in Charlton, Massachusetts. These guys are right up there with Trillium. This is the Emperor Julius Guava, 8.8% Imperial IPA. Very guava aroma, but very subtle taste. Very drinkable. 

When I first went to New York in '94 we stuck to bottles of Rolling Rock, glad to see things have improved since then.
  • Options

When I first went to New York in '94 we stuck to bottles of Rolling Rock, glad to see things have improved since then.
    New York is still a bit of an adventure. There are plenty of bars that sell decent beer, but there are even more that don’t 
  • Options

New York is still a bit of an adventure. There are plenty of bars that sell decent beer, but there are even more that don’t 
    One of my top three cities in the world.
  • Options

My local shop does this, got a taste for it out in Germany for the Euros in '88.
  • Options
    For a lager, those brown Effes bottles take some beating, along with similar Red Stripe ones
  • Options

A rare one from me, zero alcohol beer. Estrella Levante 0 0. Pretty good actually. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Popped into the excellent Brick Brewery taproom last night,

This IPA (“Hop”) was nice

https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2023/06/14/peckham-micropub-with-deptford-brewery-enters-administration/
  • Options
    clive said:
    se9addick said:
    Popped into the excellent Brick Brewery taproom last night,

This IPA (“Hop”) was nice

https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2023/06/14/peckham-micropub-with-deptford-brewery-enters-administration/
    As so often with Murky Depths, it's not the full story - Brick's been sold on as a pre-pack administration. 
  • Options

An old favourite of mine before I discovered an IPA.
    This is as popular over here as Guiness in Dublin.
  • Options

It seems a bit weird drinking a beer named after a Muslim Palace but I'm happy to go with it.
  • Options
    If we're talking Spanish, this one was interesting. Quite heavy and a bit too hoppy for an IPA for me but made a change from the lager on a hot day.

• Options
    Had a dark beer at lunchtime from the Victoria Brewery in Malaga. Very nice.

Big Saturday night for me, had a litre bottle of beer for 95 cents out of Lidl. It tasted alright and was 5%. How come us Brits get ripped of so much on the price of booze?
  • Options
    Off topic, drinking in Belgium has to be VERY reasonably priced.
    Drinking in Brussels coming back from the 4-0 defeat in St Truiden 40cl was around £3.
    I reckon £25 will leave you in a bad way, you have to drink over there with respect.
  • Options
    Havent seen unfiltered Staropramen before. This is very nice and actually brewed in 🇨🇿  i believe 
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:
    Havent seen unfiltered Staropramen before. This is very nice and actually brewed in 🇨🇿  i believe 
    Nice glass as well.
  • Options
    Drinkflation.

Apologies if posted before, but I note breweries are now reducing alcohol content in a bid to reduce tax.  

Drinks will be taxed by alcoholic strength from 1 August when a new alcohol duty regime comes into effect.  

Under the new tax system, producers will save between 2p and 3p per bottle or can.  Brands which have allegedly already reduced alcohol content include Spitfire, Old Speckled Hen, Foster's and Bishops Finger.

Work from the alcohol research group at the University of Sheffield said that if breweries reduced alcohol percentages by just 0.35 they could save an estimated £250m on tax.

https://news.sky.com/story/drinkflation-beer-makers-reduce-alcohol-content-to-pay-less-tax-12905447