Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

Quite like this. 6.5% US style IPA from Hebden Bridge

• Options
    All about the fruit sours last night. Basically the fruit juice at the back of the fridge that has fermented. Superb.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    All about the fruit sours last night. Basically the fruit juice at the back of the fridge that has fermented. Superb.
    I ordered a few sours last night from my local micropub but they wouldn't give them to me! I'd ordered them in the same period as to collect them, rather than for a few hours later. My fault, all part of their Covid procedures to stop selling at the door, but they wouldn't be persuaded that I wasn't going to drink them outside.

Might have had more luck with the guvnor but she's not getting a Xmas tip this year 😉
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Vault City sours?
  • Options

Tried this last night. Not my sort of thing tbh. 
  • Options
    Is it just me or do some of these beers look truly disgusting? And the cans/packaging they come in looks like someone has thrown up on them.

I'm all for beer and think it's great that it's made a revival. But a lot of the stuff out there just smacks of style over substance and a desire to look "hip" or "out there" rather than just focus on making a great beer. All seems a bit pretentious. 

But then I like London Pride, which I guess people would consider too "boring".
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Is it just me or do some of these beers look truly disgusting? And the cans/packaging they come in looks like someone has thrown up on them.

I'm all for beer and think it's great that it's made a revival. But a lot of the stuff out there just smacks of style over substance and a desire to look "hip" or "out there" rather than just focus on making a great beer. All seems a bit pretentious. 

Part of "craft beer" is its marketing.
  • Options
    Love a London Pride myself but I get what you mean and there's no way I'd pay £11 for a can of beer. Others are happy to and others still will happily pay that and more for a glass of wine. All personal choice. 

Equally though, I look at a pint of Carling and think I'd prefer a nice coffee instead tbh. 

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Probably Scotland’s finest brewery. The strawberry woo woo an 11% sour my favourite so far. Although raspberry skies was also great.
  • Options

Enjoying the contents of a delivery from Bermondsey’s BBN at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Fantastic brewery, excellent beers. Got a couple in my fridge at the moment and you've now got me tempted to crack one tonight!
  • Options
    Sea Buckthorn & Mango sour from Vibrant Forest. How poncy is that!

I trust the packaging meets @Off_it approval though 😉
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Probably Scotland’s finest brewery. The strawberry woo woo an 11% sour my favourite so far. Although raspberry skies was also great.
    PopIcon said:

Fantastic brewery, excellent beers. Got a couple in my fridge at the moment and you've now got me tempted to crack one tonight!
    Some of those highly fruited beers, particularly the Omnipollo Bianca range has left me pissing out my arse.
  • Options

Looks disgusting.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:

PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:

So, style over substance then?
  • Options
    @PopIcon ...I'm not sure if they're the same....when they arrive I'll post a pic...

@Off_it I would say that craft beer producers tend to link their brews to art and culture hence the 'loud cans' etc etc...mkting of course...and some of the beers (to my taste) fall well short of the mark BUT taste is individual and - as someone said above - when I see people ordering Fosters, Carling, Peroni, Stella, Old Speckled Hen etc etc etc I wonder 'why?' as to me they are all bland and tasteless...  Last night I had a 6.5% pale ale from Other Half and then a 10% imperial IPA that was a collaboration between Other Half and Ominpollo… Both of them dank, cloudy, heavy and murky and both - to me - glorious examples of the styles....hugely tasty and refreshing, with the alcohol hidden behind a soft hop explosion and both a perfect foil for the lamb curry I was eating.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Looks disgusting.
    Hard to disagree it doesn't look like you imagine beer to be but it tasted great. Unfined beers always seem to have more flavour to me. 
  • Options
    Anyone know an online shop that does Belgian beers cheaply?

Feels a bit of a con playing £4 a bottle for what you pick up over there etc at about €1
  • Options

Feels a bit of a con playing £4 a bottle for what you pick up over there etc at about €1
    I haven't used these guys for a while, but they have quite a selection from Belgium/France normally.

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

• Options
    edited November 2020

I haven't used these guys for a while, but they have quite a selection from Belgium/France normally.

These guys have the best selection of Belgian beer, they import a lot direct. Local family run business, with Charlton connections.

https://www.beermerchants.com/browse/country/belgian-beers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Try the BeerHawk perfect draft system. The initial outlay for the pump is a little bit expensive, but once you take advantage of the deals they do and get your keg returns. It works out very reasonable for draft beer at home. I am just finishing off a Leffe Amber at the moment and have a Stella lined up to put on.

If in doubt take a look at some YouTube reviews. Especially Big Bald Reviews, he drinks a lot of beer!  :)
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

These guys have the best selection of Belgian beer, they import a lot direct. Local family run business, with Charlton connections.

https://www.beermerchants.com/browse/country/belgian-beers
    Just been on the website.  A shame I'm off the booze at the moment as I'd have put an order in and experimented with a few different ones.
  • Options
    I found I started off buying Elvis juice and Life and death etc "for a treat"...a few weeks later that's all I was drinking...at around 6.5% it was pushing my alcohol consumption right up. I'm back  on the 4 to 4.5 % stuff again and my head and weight are happier for it...
  • Options
    Barley wine gents please. The weakened Gold Label I'll still have in honour of the old man at new year but where can I find the Stingo's and others of the past? Youngs' Old Nick is lovely. Anyone know of other barley wines still being brewed?

Have you tried Eltham Wine & Beers in Well Hall Road.  Wide range of beers, which probably includes some barley wines. Some Sam Smith's, so if they don't stock Stingo they could probably get it in.

Have you tried any Belgian dubbels and quadrupels?  Quite similar to barley wine, and several are delicious.  Again, this shop stocks several.
  • Options
    @PopIcon these are the cans that came in from Cloudwater ... Cheers
  • Options
    Guinness has withdrawn its recently-launched zero-alcohol stout from all outlets following an investigation that the cans have been contaminated by zero-alcohol stout. 
  • Options
    Eagerly awaiting my Romney Marsh Brewery delivery. 24 500ml mixed strength bottles. I do love their Amber Ale.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:

PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:

So, style over substance then?
    Not always, small breweries use it as a marketing tool. Remember those really artistic Guinness TV adverts from a few years back? Or the time Courage Beer had Chas & Dave as their brand ambassadors.
  • Options
    Just discovered that I live within 10 miles of the Rebellion Brewery in Marlow, hence free delivery. A gallon is winging its way to me now, I hope.