Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Been saving this but after the week I've had...

...at 10% it needs a bit of respect. Bags of different flavours coming through. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Just discovered that I live within 10 miles of the Rebellion Brewery in Marlow, hence free delivery. A gallon is winging its way to me now, I hope.
    Been to the summer charity day a few times. Great day out, though mother of a hangover the next day. One year took in Maidenhead Con club afterwards, famed for the Iron Lady, then got a cab to the Albert Hall for the second half of a prom with Danny Barenboim at the proms. Was completely plastered by then, but managed to keep quiet during the music. Comical looking back, yelling at Barenboim at the end like he was Lee Bowyer. People near us were perplexed. Ha ha. 
  • Options
    I was inspired by a couple of the photos to stock up the fridge 

The price differences are insane.
    I looked on the Trilium webpage and it was £11ish for a pack of Fort Point Pales, they were on sale for about £10 a can here.

I'm really excited to try Trillium beer as up until a couple of weeks it's been impossible to get. 
  • Options
    Trillium sound ground.

From Wikipedia:

In 2014 Trillium failed to renew their state brewers license, resulting in a nearly month-long closure. Trillium claimed to have submitted an application for renewal in 2013, however no license was issued and the state sent numerous notices to the company without response. Trillium continued to operate illegally for the majority of 2014 and was closed by the state at the end of November 2014. [6]

In late 2018, a number of former Trillium employees posted messaged on BeerAdvocate.com accusing the ownership of cutting wages, serving sub par product to customers, paying retail staff server wages and illegally using tequila in a beer and instructing staff to lie about it. Trillium owner JC Tetreault spoke to the Boston Globe admitting to making "a mistake" and did not deny any of the claims, confirming many of them. [7]

On November 26, 2018, the owners of Trillium posted a statement on their website saying retail employees will have their hourly wages restored for longtime workers whose pay had been cut. They company also apologized to employees, customers, and friends. The Boston Globe reported the company's retail workforce will be paid $15 to $18 an hour, and still have the ability to earn tips from customers purchasing beer.[8]

In July of 2020 cans of Trillium's fruited Berliner Weiss, Daily Serving, began to explode at consumer's homes due to refermentation taking place in the cans. Trillium released a statement about the exploding cans which was perceived by many as blaming the customers for poorly storing the cans and taking no responsibility for the fact that they sold a product that could explode. [9]

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Trillium sound ground.

From Wikipedia:

In 2014 Trillium failed to renew their state brewers license, resulting in a nearly month-long closure. Trillium claimed to have submitted an application for renewal in 2013, however no license was issued and the state sent numerous notices to the company without response. Trillium continued to operate illegally for the majority of 2014 and was closed by the state at the end of November 2014. [6]

In late 2018, a number of former Trillium employees posted messaged on BeerAdvocate.com accusing the ownership of cutting wages, serving sub par product to customers, paying retail staff server wages and illegally using tequila in a beer and instructing staff to lie about it. Trillium owner JC Tetreault spoke to the Boston Globe admitting to making "a mistake" and did not deny any of the claims, confirming many of them. [7]

On November 26, 2018, the owners of Trillium posted a statement on their website saying retail employees will have their hourly wages restored for longtime workers whose pay had been cut. They company also apologized to employees, customers, and friends. The Boston Globe reported the company's retail workforce will be paid $15 to $18 an hour, and still have the ability to earn tips from customers purchasing beer.[8]

In July of 2020 cans of Trillium's fruited Berliner Weiss, Daily Serving, began to explode at consumer's homes due to refermentation taking place in the cans. Trillium released a statement about the exploding cans which was perceived by many as blaming the customers for poorly storing the cans and taking no responsibility for the fact that they sold a product that could explode. [9]

I've lost count the amount of bottle conditioned beers that have been ruined by secondary fermentation in the can or bottle.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:
    Is it just me or do some of these beers look truly disgusting? And the cans/packaging they come in looks like someone has thrown up on them.

I'm all for beer and think it's great that it's made a revival. But a lot of the stuff out there just smacks of style over substance and a desire to look "hip" or "out there" rather than just focus on making a great beer. All seems a bit pretentious. 

But then I like London Pride, which I guess people would consider too "boring".
    Part of "craft beer" is its marketing.
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:
    Is it just me or do some of these beers look truly disgusting? And the cans/packaging they come in looks like someone has thrown up on them.

I'm all for beer and think it's great that it's made a revival. But a lot of the stuff out there just smacks of style over substance and a desire to look "hip" or "out there" rather than just focus on making a great beer. All seems a bit pretentious. 

So, style over substance then?
    Not always, small breweries use it as a marketing tool. Remember those really artistic Guinness TV adverts from a few years back? Or the time Courage Beer had Chas & Dave as their brand ambassadors.
    Noddy Holders Banks adverts are classics
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:

PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:

So, style over substance then?
    Not always, small breweries use it as a marketing tool. Remember those really artistic Guinness TV adverts from a few years back? Or the time Courage Beer had Chas & Dave as their brand ambassadors.
    Noddy Holders Banks adverts are classics
    I've not seen these, but would like to.
  • Options
    Stormbird in Camberwell is doing nice draught 1 litre takeaway bottles. To comply with click and collect you have to email the barmaid what you want rather than just telling her, but whatever. 

Had a very nice Deya Into the Haze last night.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeez, not sure what's worse, the state of that drink or the glass it's in!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I speak on behalf of @se9addick your opinion is meaningless to him. You just come on here to try and wind people up.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Off_it said:
    I speak on behalf of @se9addick your opinion is meaningless to him. You just come on here to try and wind people up.
    You what?
  • Options
    Anyway, has anyone tried the Wantsum  Red Raddle?

Am just looking at placing an order and wondered if anyone had any views? 

(NB. Your opinion will not be meaningless to me!)
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I'd happily spend an evening on Red Raddle. Quite malty. Nice pint, nothing out of this world, but if it's on in my local I'll almost always have at least one. I do like a red beer so may be biased.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I'd happily spend an evening on Red Raddle. Quite malty. Nice pint, nothing out of this world, but if it's on in my local I'll almost always have at least one. I do like a red beer so may be biased.
    Nice one. Thanks. Have got a mini-cask on the way!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Hmmm. Very nice. Got one on the go now. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Had a virtual beer festival yesterday.  Got a six beer mystery bag from a local micro pub.

Best was Sign of the Southern Cross which was absolutely gorgeous. Worst was Vocation which was like an explosion in a grapefruit cannery.
  • Options
    What was the Wild Beer like @Stig ? I like their stuff, but it’s pretty expensive. 

I see you got a Anspach beer, I was at their pub/taproom in Camberwell yesterday as they are doing takeaway draft. Currently enjoying their IPA.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I see you got a Anspach beer, I was at their pub/taproom in Camberwell yesterday as they are doing takeaway draft. Currently enjoying their IPA.
    Looks lively - just needs a flake in the top!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Happily working my way through a three litre bottle of Rebellion's Overthrow, the description from their website being very accurate:

Overthrow

Strength: 4.3% Pale & Crisp Overthrow is an easy drinking, well balanced pale ale with a pleasing hoppy aroma. Brewed with exclusively 100% Marris Otter pale ale malt which gives a clean and crisp base. British hops First Gold and Goldings add citrus and floral notes. American Citra hops added to the hopback add a distinct aroma of grapefruit and tropical fruit. Malt: Maris Otter Pale Ale Hops: First Gold, Goldings, Citra

Very good light session beer

• Options
    edited November 2020
    The Wild Beer, was very good actually @se9addick. As its name suggests it was definitely very lemony.  It's not the sort of beer I'd have chosen for myself, but was a very pleasant surprise.  I enjoyed the Anspach, though at 3.5% it was a little weak by my standards, could definitely taste the blackberries. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:

Looks lively - just needs a flake in the top!
    https://youtu.be/XEEU1nQeGNA
  • Options
    Tonight’s selection:

• Options

Utter filth, not sure what I was expecting.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Lol.

It sounds absolutely horrific. What did it taste like then?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Had their apple sour one yesterday, quite liked it.

Having a Brew Dog Layer Cake tonight. Proper nice
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PopIcon said:

Lol.

It sounds absolutely horrific. What did it taste like then?
    It tasted exactly like it said on the can, I was hoping for a decent kettle sour like the ones Brick make. This tasted like a bag of kids sweets.

McBobbin said:
    PopIcon said:

Had their apple sour one yesterday, quite liked it.

Having a Brew Dog Layer Cake tonight. Proper nice
    It was between the apple sour and this, I possibly made the wrong decision.
  • Options
    Slumbering Monk - Joules from Market Drayton 4.5% made my Sunday
    Smashing brewery

• Options
    From a Bournemouth microbrewery...

Very nice. Quite a lot going on, quite fruity and a bit of bite but definitely not as sharp as some other sours.