Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has SCP gone as far as he can go?

Comments

• Options
    Keep the faith and SCP will come good, never forget he is one of us.

Considering the conditions he is working under I believe he is doing a fantastic job, expecting any more would be simply unrealistic.

Keep in mind half the first teams contracts are up at end of the season I'm sure this would potentially have a negative effect on individual performances.

A takeover, a reasonable jan transfer kitty and a couple of transfer extensions and up the football ladder we will go.
  • Options
    No. Next?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

Lost to a stronger and better side, where there ex scumwall manager has been given the resources to turn them into a mid table championship team. Give Powell something to work with and then come back to us

He's had 2 seasons to improve the quality of the team and the style. He needs to up his game now. We were mid table last season.
    What position was we in this time last season. The squad is weaker than last season. Unless someone backs the manager with the funds to play with then expect the secarnio what is front of your eyes right now
    If the squad is weaker, the manager is generally to blame - we don't tend to get loans right so waste precious funds
    So who would you like in charge then?
    I never said "change the manager" - the point I was making was that we didn't create today, no quality, way too many long balls etc - the manager has to take the blame as he sets up the team, sorts the tactics and organise training - I think we've gone backwards this year in our play - this isn't down to funding.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    thenewbie said:

He's gone as far as anyone could go with these players and this budget. Give him time and money and we'll see the performances and results to match. He makes mistakes, but very rarely the same mistake twice.

I agree with this, but I'd add about mistakes that it's easy to spot a "mistake" with hindsight on an internet forum. It ain't so easy in real time and under pressure. Also what no-one seems to consider is that just because a team drops points, it doesn't necessarily mean that the manager made a mistake. In every single league match, at least one of the teams will drop points irrespective of whether the manager made mistakes or not.

100% Support.
  • Options
    no!! new players could make a huge difference!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

It really is depressing knowing that this sort of thread is going to come up EVERY time we lose a game at home.

This!!!!
  • Options
    That!!!!
  • Options
    I sit up to 3am on Saturday nights and it's always the same. No excitement, no shots on target, just ninety minutes of Emma saying "football match, football match, football match". Why are we so negative? Why can he not have real wingers on each wing when we play at home? I cannot understand how Harriot could turn from being the player who turned our season around last season, to not even making the bench now. No, Powell has not reached his sell by date. There is a good manager in there waiting to come out, but he needs to learn from his mistakes and start approaching games more positively.
  • Options

I sit up to 3am on Saturday nights and it's always the same. No excitement, no shots on target, just ninety minutes of Emma saying "football match, football match, football match". Why are we so negative? Why can he not have real wingers on each wing when we play at home? I cannot understand how Harriot could turn from being the player who turned our season around last season, to not even making the bench now. No, Powell has not reached his sell by date. There is a good manager in there waiting to come out, but he needs to learn from his mistakes and start approaching games more positively.

He played with two wingers v Leeds and leaked 4 , so I think that's why the pair haven't appeared since
  • Options
    I truely believe that no other manger would have done better than CP has with such a limited budget! I also believe a lot of managers would have walked but because of CP passion and love for the club he has stuck with it! If I was chairman I would give him a 10 year contract!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shows that the lack of investment in the squad is making us suffer

however the lack of thought in todays game in how to over come in the final 3rd was not just down to personnel but a lack of belief in the tactics

going long is a lazy and poor thing to do

Pretty much bang on for me North London. The incessant lumping the ball upfield for the two jolly green giants to gobble up was clearly never going to work. Any professional player at any level should be able to string few decent passes together (or be given the opportunity to string a few passes together!?).

• Options
    CP is still just in credit for me, but only because he is CP and he has earned the right for prolonged support, which in the main he has from the majority. However the lack of movement in the final third is a stain on both the players and his ability. My 7 year old who has the kit, scarf hat etc doesn't want to go anymore and I don't blame him- Gutted.
  • Options
    Literally only looked at the headline of this thread and all I'll say is - he needs money!!! He's by far the best man for our club. Don't start all that nonsense. Look where it got us last time.
  • Options

He played with two wingers v Leeds and leaked 4 , so I think that's why the pair haven't appeared since
    True, but from what I gather Leeds had four attempts on target and scored 4 with our old mate on fire. That isn't going to happen every game and may have been a freak result. You need to give a formation more than just one game to see it work.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

Lost to a stronger and better side, where there ex scumwall manager has been given the resources to turn them into a mid table championship team. Give Powell something to work with and then come back to us

He's had 2 seasons to improve the quality of the team and the style. He needs to up his game now. We were mid table last season.
    What position was we in this time last season. The squad is weaker than last season. Unless someone backs the manager with the funds to play with then expect the secarnio what is front of your eyes right now
    If the squad is weaker, the manager is generally to blame - we don't tend to get loans right so waste precious funds
    So who would you like in charge then?
    I never said "change the manager" - the point I was making was that we didn't create today, no quality, way too many long balls etc - the manager has to take the blame as he sets up the team, sorts the tactics and organise training - I think we've gone backwards this year in our play - this isn't down to funding.
    I'd say it is partly down to funding. If you don't improve the squad you will end up going backwards. Our signings since promotion have generally been replacements and squad players rather than improvements.
  • Options
    He's not going to be sacked in the middle of a take-over. If that falls through we can't afford to sack him, if it goes through the new owner will have a good look before making a pragmatic decision regardless of what the fans say. It's fair enough to question his decisions though, regardless of his deserved status as club legend. Personally I'd like to see Andy Hughes as the first name on the team-sheet next week. He was the driving force behind our recovery last season. At least you'd see a bit more hunger when we have the ball. Maybe even give him the captain's armband.
  • Options
    Replacing who? Cousins?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

No.

He's had his budget consistently reduced, he has essentially been managing with one hand behind his back - and in general doing a bloody good job. After we beat Doncaster were you asking this question ?

This
  • Options
    My observation from yesterday is that there are some issues with the management team but I do hope that it's just that SCP is still on a learning curve.
    Here's why I say that. First, from early in the game, Ipswich showed a lot of movement when they had throw-ins, especially when the throw-ins were in the attacking third of the field. This gave them lots of quality possession in dangerous areas. Second their tactics at corners was not to especially harass the keeper on the line but to load up the edge of the box and attack the in-coming delivery and make feinting runs.
    Our players appeared either not to know Ipswich used these tactics and/or didn't know how to deal with them.
    Whatever, it would seem that either we hadn't had Ipswich watched, or the scouts did watch but didn't notice the tactics, or that the scouts reported back but the coaching staff didn't heed the warnings and decide how to deal with the threats. If that analysis is correct then there are indeed matters that need sorting out.
  • Options
    I was stunned by the first 5 minutes yesterday - we completely capitulated and seemed unable to cope with the aerial threat. Don't really understand why Ipswich sat back so much and was totally frustrated by our inability to break them down given how much possession we had.
    We need to work on our crossing which was generally poor and easily dealt with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Whatever, it would seem that either we hadn't had Ipswich watched, or the scouts did watch but didn't notice the tactics, or that the scouts reported back but the coaching staff didn't heed the warnings and decide how to deal with the threats. If that analysis is correct then there are indeed matters that need sorting out.

Or maybe it was something Ipswich had been working on through the week in the run up to the game?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

My observation from pyesterday is that there are some issues with the management team but I do hope that it's just that SCP is still on a learning curve.
    Here's why I say that. First, from early in the game, Ipswich showed a lot of movement when they had throw-ins, especially when the throw-ins were in the attacking third of the field. This gave them lots of quality possession in dangerous areas. Second their tactics at corners was not to especially harass the keeper on the line but to load up the edge of the box and attack the in-coming delivery and make feinting runs.
    Our players appeared either not to know Ipswich used these tactics and/or didn't know how to deal with them.

Very good points. There is another thing that I considered. McCarthy is very good coach. I think some are not taking into account that maybe Ipswich did a very good job on scouting us, and they were coached in training in how to counter our game plan.

Some times, perhaps, the credit should be given to the opposition...
  • Options
    I think if this investment comes in and he's able to sign some top quality players who allow us to compete then it EASILY proves he's not gone as far as he can go...

Should he bring in that quality and we find ourselves in this position next year then it can be questioned.

Unfortunately at the end of the season we had Yann / Haynes / Fuller and BWP up front all experienced Strikers... Because Powell wasnt given the money to extend their Contracts (and we all know he wanted to keep Fuller) we were left with the below who are doing the best they can (bar Mr Sordell):

Simon Church - A good runner yet not the greatest finisher
    Yann Kermorgant - Dont need to put anything
    Marvin Sordell - A loanee who doesnt care
    Joe Pigott - A youngster who is inexperienced
  • Options
    Defenders should know to attack the ball and the space of flight of the ball not just standing pushing shoving with players at corners. We didn't do that prior to the goal or the goal scored, the goal was a free header. That isn't tactics that's not being alert.
  • Options
    Who's SCP?
  • Options
    WSS said:

Replacing who? Cousins?

Possibly. Or he could play alongside Cousins, Which I'm sure would do Cousins the world of good. Cousins is only 19 and has plenty of time to learn, and playing him every week in a tough relegation battle is asking a lot, maybe too much.

• Options
    Give SCP a ten year contract. End of.
  • Options
    SCP is doing the best he can what he has been given. This supposed takeover isn't helping, the board have not been interested since the start of last season and apparently people aren't being paid. No investment in the team or even the pitch, it's probably a nightmare to manage. If we were to give Chris the axe there'd be quite a line of clubs to interview him. Stability is the key to success in my eyes, we've been down the road of axing managers when times are tough and it got us nowhere.
  • Options

He's managing a pretty poor quality team when compared to the rest of the league.

We've got 0 money at the moment, and there's no manager that could possibly take over right now that would be better than Powell.

simplest but best response IMO have we forgot the surge in league 1 with quality of football we were playing, the players havent really changed in personnel and when we play our game we are very hard to beat.

while our team is good enough to survive in this league its clear its in need of heavy investment.

I think SCP is the right man to take us forward and with this potential takeover and the necessary funds, i honestly believe powell has the transfer savvy and tactical know how to be a success and also be with us for a long time.

Sir Chris Powell gets my vote everyday.
  • Options
    He is still the right man for the job. Absolutely.

He did get out thought yesterday. McCarthy got it spot on. But then he has been managing for a very long time, including at international level so there is no shame in that.

To be honest I thought we looked ok defensively after the first bizarre five minutes. McGoldrick hardly got a sniff. However we are pretty impotent up front which always means when we go one down the opposition will defend deep and invite us to break them open.

Nobody could be doing a better job considering the off field issues and the thin squad he has.