Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has SCP gone as far as he can go?

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Give SCP a ten year contract. End of.

That really made me LOL
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

My observation from yesterday is that there are some issues with the management team but I do hope that it's just that SCP is still on a learning curve.
    Here's why I say that. First, from early in the game, Ipswich showed a lot of movement when they had throw-ins, especially when the throw-ins were in the attacking third of the field. This gave them lots of quality possession in dangerous areas. Second their tactics at corners was not to especially harass the keeper on the line but to load up the edge of the box and attack the in-coming delivery and make feinting runs.
    Our players appeared either not to know Ipswich used these tactics and/or didn't know how to deal with them.
    Whatever, it would seem that either we hadn't had Ipswich watched, or the scouts did watch but didn't notice the tactics, or that the scouts reported back but the coaching staff didn't heed the warnings and decide how to deal with the threats. If that analysis is correct then there are indeed matters that need sorting out.

As I've said before, the training, for me, is not showing signs of improvement on the pitch - what's been going on since July? I feel a new head coach would help, maybe let CP do the match day stuff ? We shouldn't have been caught out like we were yesterday- Ipswich weren't great.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Redrobo said:

Give SCP a ten year contract. End of.

That really made me LOL
    Really? It was not meant to be funny. Getting rid of a good manager has never been a great idea.

Changing manager costs a lot of money in the short term - paying off manager and his staff and buying new players. There is no long term as he will go through a lean spell and off we go again.

If Curbs had been given the money we squandered after he left we would have been battling for a European place instead of being relegated. Ferguson at Man Utd, Moyes at Everton, Wenger at Arsenal are the best arguments with sticking with a good manager with a long term plan.

There is doubt that Powell is a very good manager and has over achieved with the money that has been made available to him. A long contract with the backing of a board that actually mean that they will support him through thick and thin would actually move us forward.

There were a lot of Arsenal fans saying that Wenger had to go after their start to the season - wonder where they are now?

• Options
    10 year contract? Hahahaha
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    All I would say is being a good manager is not just about having the funds to go and buy players who everyone else thinks are good. It's about digging the good players out that others don,t think can make it. Not sure that CP can lay claim to that so far. In our champions season everybody knew we had lined up the best squad in the league that year. However, in the Championship, have we un earthed any players that clubs above would like to have ?

He has my complete support, but is he perfect , of course not.

I exclude our home grown talent from the above, as that's not really down to just CP.
  • Options
    Managers do have a history of getting the chop when new owners arrive...especially if they are near the bottom with a transfer window looming.
  • Options
    Regardless of what camp you're in (CP in/out), to suggest giving him a 10 year deal is ludicrous IMHO
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Regardless of what camp you're in (CP in/out), to suggest giving him a 10 year deal is ludicrous IMHO

I agree, 5 years would suffice.
  • Options
    yeah. anyone can see he will need longer
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I just said 10 years to illustrate that it is a question that we do not need to consider for some years to come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

cafcfan said:

Whatever, it would seem that either we hadn't had Ipswich watched, or the scouts did watch but didn't notice the tactics, or that the scouts reported back but the coaching staff didn't heed the warnings and decide how to deal with the threats. If that analysis is correct then there are indeed matters that need sorting out.

Or maybe it was something Ipswich had been working on through the week in the run up to the game?
    Powell told the players Ipswich would do this. What more can he do?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

BIG_ROB said:

I just said 10 years to illustrate that it is a question that we do not need to consider for some years to come.
    In your opinion
  • Options
    If anyone believes CP has taken us as far as he can. Fair enough, that's your opinion.

Could you also tell me who would have done a better job previously, and also a manager who could propel us into the higher echelons with the average squad we have?
  • Options
    I feel that given more funds CP could further us. Whether or not he has the tactical nous to make us a contender in this league is what I would question.

CP seems very one dimensional with his tactics, we play to contain rather than to our strengths, when this doesn't work we seem very limited with no plan B. Granted that with the players available it is difficult to execute but looking in fron the sides it seems like nothing changes.

For example, after 60-65 mins on saturday it was clear our tactics where not working as we barely had a chance. But instead of looking at other options or ways of breaking ipswich down all we had was a change of personnel in like for like changes and the hope that somebody could create something from nothing to get us back in the game.
  • Options
    Isn't Peacock supposed to be helping in circumstances like those mentioned above?

• Options
    Dont get me wrong, I would love for him to be the manager to take us to the promised land, it really would be a fairytale story.

But surely we all have to be open minded about it and not look through blinkered eyes. Still feel he has something to offer but he does need to start learning feom his mistakes.

Nam, I think that was the initial intention but how much he does I dont know. Maybe we could look to find somebody a bit more e c perienced to come in and aid CP maybe in a director of football type role
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I'd give him a 20yr unbreakable contract.

I didn't get my SCP tattoo just for him to be binned

Unbreakable unless He gets a better offer from somewhere else and Charlton get the shit end of the stick. Cushty
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell has shown that he can get his tactics right in the past and he'll do it again. When you think of the poor sides we've had in the past, there was often a distinct lack of effort. You can't say that about the current squad and it's clear that the players do care about their performance and are sufficiently motivated. We shouldn't underestimate the uncertainty around the club at the moment so I think Powell is doing a good job in hard circumstances. Make no mistake....his efforts have been noticed and there are plenty of other clubs who would jump at the chance to have him in charge.

PS: Our key man is Kermorgant. Last season he was out for a fairly long period about this time of year and it took him a run of games to get back to his best (i.e fully match fit/sharp). Don't be surprised if we start seeing some top class performances from him again around Xmas.

• Options
    Yes Chris was out thought on saturday. Ipswichs high tempo game for the first 15mins obviously took him by surprise, but not first or last manager you can say that about. What we did see was the lack of quality of players we have, accentuated by the actual lack of size of first choice squad.Looking at our squad and what fit players on the list would have made a big difference to that performance. Now it is not Powells fault we could not add players with quality in the summer or during the transfer period, you ned money for that.
  • Options
    The problem is that we are not that bad a side, but if a competent teams sets out to stop us scoring, it isn't hard enough for them to succeed. We are only one or two players shy. The answer would certainly be not to throw the baby out with the bath water and if we do have some money to invest , Chrissy will know what is required more than anyone!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Simonsen said:

Powell has shown that he can get his tactics right in the past and he'll do it again. When you think of the poor sides we've had in the past, there was often a distinct lack of effort. You can't say that about the current squad and it's clear that the players do care about their performance and are sufficiently motivated. We shouldn't underestimate the uncertainty around the club at the moment so I think Powell is doing a good job in hard circumstances. Make no mistake....his efforts have been noticed and there are plenty of other clubs who would jump at the chance to have him in charge.

This often said on here and I am not arguing with it, but who? In the last few years, especially last year when CP would have been at the height of marketability after winning Div 1 with record points, who made an approach for him? Leicester was rumoured but as far as i know no one did.
  • Options

I feel that given more funds CP could further us. Whether or not he has the tactical nous to make us a contender in this league is what I would question.

CP seems very one dimensional with his tactics, we play to contain rather than to our strengths, when this doesn't work we seem very limited with no plan B. Granted that with the players available it is difficult to execute but looking in fron the sides it seems like nothing changes.

For example, after 60-65 mins on saturday it was clear our tactics where not working as we barely had a chance. But instead of looking at other options or ways of breaking ipswich down all we had was a change of personnel in like for like changes and the hope that somebody could create something from nothing to get us back in the game.

The number of dimensions of play available to a manager is somewhat constrained by the players he has. I can't imagine for a second he told the players to boot it long in the first half on Saturday, not least because they came out for the second half playing up from the back. We were shellshocked by Ipswich's start and didn't know how to deal with their closing down our central midfielders for the rest of it.

Notwithstanding, this year we've played various different formations, and we played 2 or 3 this Saturday, so I can't accept SCP has one-dimensional tactics. I would say, however, that his squad is poorer than most and therefore he has to work harder than most other managers to get results at this level.
  • Options
    If Appleton can continually get linked with championship level jobs then i'm in no doubt that Powell would also be on the radar of other clubs.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I still believe he is the right man for the job, let us take stock and think back to the dark days before he took over, the club was in terminal decline and there was an air of doom and misery around the club. He brought a freshness and vigour that, in part remains to this day and I genuinely believe he loves the club as much as we do. If you remember his first season here the results were very poor and we were nowhere near making the play offs, he was then given funds, he bought/ recruited shrewdly, effectively rebuilt the entire squad and, despite having so many new players, we stormed league 1, is that the sign of a poor manager?

Since the money was taken away at the start of our first championship season I believe he has done a great job of maintaining morale within the squad who, in my opinion, massively over achieved last season. He is now having to manage at a club with no money and players unsure of their future yet morale within the squad still seems to be high, yes he makes the odd error but with the squad we currently have I think he is doing a great job especially as his future is also so uncertain.

What upsets me even more is the hatred held for him by a number of so called fans on another forum, I used to flit between that forum and this but, in recent days, things have stepped up to an uncomfortable level, with one so called expert resorting to calling SCP a 'useless, lazy bastard'. I'm almost lost for words. I have no problem with people giving constructive criticism but to insult a man who took our club out of the doldrums and who has worked so hard in the game during his playing and coaching career in such a manner is a disgrace, it almost smacks of a 'Ron Atkinson moment', I'm not suggesting that there is a racist element on that forum but the sheer level of hate for the man does make you wonder...
  • Options
    In all the time I have supported the club, the fans have always been very understanding and reluctant to question the qualities of our managers, even when we've had some shit (Pardew, Parkinson & Dowie). So for me to see a post about debating whether or not we should be looking to get rid of Powell is amazing. Everyone's entitled to voice their opinion, but this? No way. For me, we are so, so lucky to have this guy in charge. Any other manager who doesn't understand the history or the culture of the club would be contributing to our off field uncertainty. By this I mean that Powell is simply biting his tongue and making the best of a difficult situation. He knows the owners aren't in it for the long term. He has to face all his established pros everyday, look them in the eye, ask them to play for the club when they don't have security about their future.

Can you imagine someone like that clown Pardew in this situation. He burnt through money like there was no tomorrow. Parky's meek and lethargic stance on the touchline, his softly spoken approach. We would be buried. Powell's love for the club is the only thing that is keeping those players tuned in, and it is the only thing that is transferring into performances on the pitch. We need him.

He had to ship something like 7 players in the summer, only bringing in 4 or 5. We lost some good players, and our squad/team is definitely weaker than last season.

Don't get me wrong, his loyalties to the likes of Jackson sometimes annoy me, and the fact that he was persisting with players on opposite wings up until Doncaster was frustrating. However, he, like everyone of us is Charlton. We need to keep every single person involved in the club who bleeds Charlton, working together until this ownership issue is cleared up.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

In all the time I have supported the club, the fans have always been very understanding and reluctant to question the qualities of our managers, even when we've had some shit (Pardew, Parkinson & Dowie). So for me to see a post about debating whether or not we should be looking to get rid of Powell is amazing. Everyone's entitled to voice their opinion, but this? No way. For me, we are so, so lucky to have this guy in charge. Any other manager who doesn't understand the history or the culture of the club would be contributing to our off field uncertainty. By this I mean that Powell is simply biting his tongue and making the best of a difficult situation. He knows the owners aren't in it for the long term. He has to face all his established pros everyday, look them in the eye, ask them to play for the club when they don't have security about their future.

Can you imagine someone like that clown Pardew in this situation. He burnt through money like there was no tomorrow. Parky's meek and lethargic stance on the touchline, his softly spoken approach. We would be buried. Powell's love for the club is the only thing that is keeping those players tuned in, and it is the only thing that is transferring into performances on the pitch. We need him.

He had to ship something like 7 players in the summer, only bringing in 4 or 5. We lost some good players, and our squad/team is definitely weaker than last season.

Don't get me wrong, his loyalties to the likes of Jackson sometimes annoy me, and the fact that he was persisting with players on opposite wings up until Doncaster was frustrating. However, he, like everyone of us is Charlton. We need to keep every single person involved in the club who bleeds Charlton, working together until this ownership issue is cleared up.

A bit unfair to lump Parky in with Dowie and Pardew. I still think if he had the money and support that SCP got when the new board came in , he could have done a good job.
  • Options
    All this talk about CP loving Charlton meaning he is the best man for the job is a load of rubbish. I love burgers, but doesn't mean I'm the perfect candidate to be the next CEO of McDonalds.

As I have stated previously, I really hope he can learn from his mistakes and develop as a manager quickly enough to be the man to take us forward, problem at the minute is that there is no evidence of this happening.