Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has SCP gone as far as he can go?

1235»

Comments

• Options

Posting without reading everything. As far as I'm concerned, management just isn't about the result on a Saturday afternoon. It also includes how you conduct yourself in the public domain, how you interact with people and the image you create for your employers. Chris Powell is a fine ambassador for Charlton Athletic and a good manager. I can't think of anyone better to be the manager right now. He's worked miracles on a shoestring budget and sometimes a limited squad and given the opportunity with bigger resources, I'm sure he can take us to the next level. 100% support from me...

couldn't have put it any better myself...

• Options
    With several people having contacts within the club has there been any rumours coming out that players are underwhelmed with CPs tactics or lack of tactics ?
  • Options

I still believe he is the right man for the job, let us take stock and think back to the dark days before he took over, the club was in terminal decline and there was an air of doom and misery around the club. He brought a freshness and vigour that, in part remains to this day and I genuinely believe he loves the club as much as we do. If you remember his first season here the results were very poor and we were nowhere near making the play offs, he was then given funds, he bought/ recruited shrewdly, effectively rebuilt the entire squad and, despite having so many new players, we stormed league 1, is that the sign of a poor manager?

Since the money was taken away at the start of our first championship season I believe he has done a great job of maintaining morale within the squad who, in my opinion, massively over achieved last season. He is now having to manage at a club with no money and players unsure of their future yet morale within the squad still seems to be high, yes he makes the odd error but with the squad we currently have I think he is doing a great job especially as his future is also so uncertain.

What upsets me even more is the hatred held for him by a number of so called fans on another forum, I used to flit between that forum and this but, in recent days, things have stepped up to an uncomfortable level, with one so called expert resorting to calling SCP a 'useless, lazy bastard'. I'm almost lost for words. I have no problem with people giving constructive criticism but to insult a man who took our club out of the doldrums and who has worked so hard in the game during his playing and coaching career in such a manner is a disgrace, it almost smacks of a 'Ron Atkinson moment', I'm not suggesting that there is a racist element on that forum but the sheer level of hate for the man does make you wonder...

The comparison with Lenny Henry's early career and a really crass comment about not being able to tell Dyer and Powell apart smacks of Ron Atkinson moments too. It more than makes me wonder. You're right, but then ITV has become an unrelenting parody of itself in recent times, largely reflecting its 'moderator' and filled with over the top bile and general ludicrousness. (Throw in the rejection of the Trust, the ACV, the ridiculing of anyone on here who sees the Valley Party as an inspiration when considering potential risks to the Valley today, a general threatening tone to those who dare to dissent from their party line...).

Anyway, your early sentences really resonate with me, and we shouldn't forget that he has achieved the best 3rd tier results in our entire 108 year history with nowhere near the funds that Southampton splashed on their second-placed side with 9 fewer points than Powell's team managed. This says to me he's a man with a vision, strong ideas on what players make a Charlton team - and given the opportunity to bring in the players that would progress that vision he will do so successfully. Shrewd is a good word to use.
  • Options
    He was backed in league one and responded brilliantly - he hasn't been backed to the same extent in the Championship and despite our current position - the team isn't that far off being decent. I'd like to see what he can do at this level if he is backed. If that is the case - the last couple of seasons will have ben helpful as I am sure he has developed a good idea of what's needed - we know that is a strength of his.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

He's gone as far as anyone could go with these players and this budget. Give him time and money and we'll see the performances and results to match. He makes mistakes, but very rarely the same mistake twice.

This!