Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Biggs RIP

Comments

• iainment said:

Greenie said:

iainment said:

Greenie said:

iainment said:

Greenie said:

If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing!

Get off your knees man.

What's that supposed to mean?
    Don't venerate or sanitise the ill deeds of the dead. If they were wrong uns it should be said.
    Really? Following ur thinking , I could citeThatcher. But like I said its about respect for the dead!
    I've never understood giving respect to someone just because they're dead. If they deserve respect then give it, if not don't. I just don't think Biggs is worth any respect.
    Why be a hypocrite? (and this is not aimed particularly at you)
    I think that says more about you than other people. But I respect your opinion!

• Greenie said:

iainment said:

Greenie said:

iainment said:

Greenie said:

iainment said:

Greenie said:

If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing!

Get off your knees man.

What's that supposed to mean?
    Don't venerate or sanitise the ill deeds of the dead. If they were wrong uns it should be said.
    Really? Following ur thinking , I could citeThatcher. But like I said its about respect for the dead!
    I've never understood giving respect to someone just because they're dead. If they deserve respect then give it, if not don't. I just don't think Biggs is worth any respect.
    Why be a hypocrite? (and this is not aimed particularly at you)
    I think that says more about you than other people. But I respect your opinion!

Why thank you kindly sir!
  • cafctom said:

One of my favourite pass times is slagging à dead bloke i didn' even know from Adam in order to increase an image of having à perfect life and being of à higher social status.

Because i am holier than all of you.

I've personally not been sentenced to 30 years in jail or robbed millions of pounds so I've no doubt about where we all stand up against Ronnie Biggs on the social status front.

Exactly, tom. Now is a great chance to publicly let everyone know.

• BIG_ROB said:

Biggs was a life long criminal and a deserter from the RAF.

RIP Jack Mills the driver coshed by the gang that Biggs was part of.

Yeah but it makes you look like a naughty geezer if you say RIP to old criminal
    But if I slag the old criminal off from behind a stupid username on a forum, I look even naughtier.
    I've not slagged him off, for the record, just don't understand the whole RIP thing, a lot more people in this world that deserve an RIP more than him.
  • E-cafc said:

Killer Kish has a perfectly valid point!

someone convicted for opposing an oppressive apartheid regime who then went on to become president and work for reconciliation and a two bob violent crook and deserter is NOT a valid comparison.

In your very humble opinion (CAPS)
  • One of my favourite pass times is slagging à dead bloke i didn' even know from Adam in order to increase an image of having à perfect life and being of à higher social status.

Strange thing for you to have as a hobby but it takes all sort. Strange that you don't know Ronnie Biggs from Adam as well as he was quite a famous criminal and RAF deserter so I would have thought you would have heard of him.

But I get the "holier than all of you" remark. Meant to be ironic wasn't it only the irony is actually on you thinking you're better than others
  • edited December 2013
    sometimes the 'my shit don't stink' brigade do my head in on here, but lets face it, the bloke was a crook and its very easy to see why people have no respect for him.

Come to think of it, why should ANYONE have any respect for him?

'Rest In Peace'..na you're alright.
  • BIG_ROB said:

But if I slag the old criminal off from behind a stupid username on a forum, I look even naughtier.
    I don't see to many posts saying untruths about the man. You started the thread, I think you knew the reaction it would get.
    He wouldn't of and didn't give a toss about what people thought of him when alive.
    I have the same opinion of him today as I did when he came back to my country to sponge off our taxes.
    I'm old school, real old school. I pay my way and don't steal.
  • I personally feel there is a huge difference between having no respect for the dead and showing disrespect for the dead.

As has already been said, nothing nice to say=don’t bother posting.

maybe the powers that be should enforce that on all RIP threads
  • A good old "old school" row going on now on this thread ironically
  • Sponsored links:

• BIG_ROB said:

I don't see to many posts saying untruths about the man. You started the thread, I think you knew the reaction it would get.
    Exactly that. There's an interesting dichotomy isn't there between what he's posted here and Big-Rob's comment on the Jim Davidson thread: "Good honest bloke. Not many about anymore unfortunately....."
  • Would Sid Vicious have got an RIP on here ?
  • edited December 2013

One of my favourite pass times is slagging à dead bloke i didn' even know from Adam in order to increase an image of having à perfect life and being of à higher social status.

Strange thing for you to have as a hobby but it takes all sort. Strange that you don't know Ronnie Biggs from Adam as well as he was quite a famous criminal and RAF deserter so I would have thought you would have heard of him.

But I get the "holier than all of you" remark. Meant to be ironic wasn't it only the irony is actually on you thinking you're better than others

Not like you to be leader of 'the righteous and the pure of sin'.

You don't know him from adam.

Just because someone done a bad thing it doesn't make a bad person. His role in the whole robbery was minor. He was more known for going on the run and showing up our shoddy police and justice system who couldn't contain one man. Nothing to be praised for but some of the High horse comments are ridiculous.
  • This is an RIP thread and I believe everyone deserves an RIP. Many many people make mistakes when they're on this earth and the phrase 'act in haste, repent at leisure' is very apt. No one knows what is in a person's head as they get older and, indeed, what circumstances made them commit whatever acts they have done in the past. Who are we to judge.

RIP Ronnie Biggs.
  • I didn't know too much about Ronnie Biggs , i'll probably watch the tv programme , but when i heard that he'd hit the train driver over the head with an iron bar & the train driver never worked again and died 7 years later of leukaemia he hardly seems like gloryifying or nostalgia, don't know why 50 years later he's still talked about?
  • I didn't know too much about Ronnie Biggs , i'll probably watch the tv programme , but when i heard that he'd hit the train driver over the head with an iron bar & the train driver never worked again and died 7 years later of leukaemia he hardly seems like gloryifying or nostalgia, don't know why 50 years later he's still talked about?

And on that note............

• edited December 2013

Just because someone done a bad thing it doesn't make a bad person. His role in the whole robbery was minor. He was more known for going on the run and showing up our shoddy police and justice system who couldn't contain one man. Nothing to be praised for but some of the High horse comments are ridiculous.
    And another holier than thou statement from you.

Seems you want to have a dig a me for being "righteous and the pure of sin" whatever that means. I've never claimed to be either and I'm not starting now, nor am I claiming to be the "leader".

The irony is that you attack me for not knowing Biggs, someone you yourself described as "infamous" whose infamy is well known but feel it is OK to attack me. Bit of hypocrisy there.
  • Fuckin hell, all I did was post RIP to someone and now I'm Palace to some if you lot!

Just for the record though, I never started the thread for a reaction, I genuinely didn't realise some would be so put out by it and those that are, I wrongly thought you might've shown a bit of restraint and respect as some of us did recently on another RIP thread.
  • Respect, I believe, is not a right but is given to some who have added good to the world.
    Respect is not a word to be used, in my opinion, for this man. I have no respect his kind.
  • One of my favourite pass times is slagging à dead bloke i didn' even know from Adam in order to increase an image of having à perfect life and being of à higher social status.

Seems you want to have a dig a me for being "righteous and the pure of sin" whatever that means. I've never claimed to be either and I'm not starting now, nor am I claiming to be the "leader".

The irony is that you attack me for not knowing Biggs, someone you yourself described as "infamous" whose infamy is well known but feel it is OK to attack me. Bit of hypocrisy there.
    Whatever. Can't argue with whiter than whites. Like trying to describe the colour red to à person who has been blind all there life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Respect, I believe, is not a right but is given to some who have added good to the world.
    Respect is not a word to be used, in my opinion, for this man. I have no respect his kind.

Cheers for that
  • BIG_ROB said:

Respect, I believe, is not a right but is given to some who have added good to the world.

Cheers for that
    No problem, just how I feel.
  • edited December 2013

BIG_ROB said:

Respect, I believe, is not a right but is given to some who have added good to the world.

Cheers for that

No problem, just how I feel.
    Yeah, I respect how you feel, I felt I wanted to start an RIP thread for Ronnie Biggs
  • edited December 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

Fuckin hell, all I did was post RIP to someone and now I'm Palace to some if you lot!

Just for the record though, I never started the thread for a reaction, I genuinely didn't realise some would be so put out by it and those that are, I wrongly thought you might've shown a bit of restraint and respect as some of us did recently on another RIP thread.

I'm normally in the 'if you can't say anything nice...' camp a la Thatcher but within a minute of you posting this I knew which way it would go, as I suspect most CL regulars did, but you say you didn't realise so fair enough.

Any comparison with the response to Nelson Mandela's passing is frankly risible.
  • edited December 2013

Whatever. Can't argue with whiter than whites. Like trying to describe the colour red to à person who has been blind all there life.

Yet another "holier than thou" statement from you there.

You can see but I'm blind as you are so superior to me. And not even a hint that you get the irony of what you keep saying.

"Whatever" LOL, just LOL
  • edited December 2013

I didn't know too much about Ronnie Biggs , i'll probably watch the tv programme , but when i heard that he'd hit the train driver over the head with an iron bar & the train driver never worked again and died 7 years later of leukaemia he hardly seems like gloryifying or nostalgia, don't know why 50 years later he's still talked about?

In the interest of balance and nothing else...

It's widely accepted that Biggs didn't hit anyone during the robbery as he was sitting in a land-rover until it came to un-loading the mail-bags. It's also fairly well accepted that Biggs was only "invited" by Bruce Reynolds into the robbery gang because he knew an old train driver, who would be needed to move the train about a mile down the track to the un-loading point. In the event, the old train driver (never named or caught) couldn't move the train and Mills was "encouraged" to move it on behalf of the gang.

There were some serious cases on the gang, such as Bruce Welch, Charlie Wilson & Gordon Goody but Biggs wasn't a violent man or remotely in their league. He was very much a small time thief, who somehow got involved in a massive crime. For his involvement alone he deserved a similar sentence to the others but to label him a thug would be a bit mis-leading, as would mentioning him in the same bracket as the Kray twins.

There has also been a suggestion that Biggs had every right to fear for his life. He wasn't trusted by the core of the gang and it was thought that both he and the old train driver could be weak links who might grass. Despite seemingly living a grand life while the others were still in jail, Biggs eventually earned a good deal of respect from the gang because he didn't turn on them.

• BIG_ROB said:

Fuckin hell, all I did was post RIP to someone and now I'm Palace to some if you lot!

Go f**k yourself you palace mug.

You can see but I'm blind as you are so superior to me. And not even a hint that you get the irony of what you keep saying.

"Whatever" LOL, just LOL

Go away, worm.

"Whatever" LOL, just LOL
    Use buttons provided please
  • edited December 2013

"Whatever" LOL, just LOL

Go away, worm.
    Yet another "I'm better than you because you're only a worm" statement from Stonewall "Holier than thou" Penalty

And you still don't get the irony.