Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most famous sports person youv met ??

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Ernie Els and Francois Pienaar a couple of times, still a very big deal in South Africa even 22 years on from the World Cup win . Pienaar walked into a friend of mines wedding, everybody was dead impressed that she knew him. After five minutes He started to look around and realized he was in the wrong church. He quietly got up and somehow maintaining dignity, rapidly left the proceedings much to the disappointment of the congregation.
  • Options
    Bobby Moore at Steve Davis' wedding reception in 1990.
  • Options

Ian Botham - arrogant
    Geoff Boycott - wanker level arrogant
    Gary Kirsten - right up his own arse
    Ricky Hatton - drunk as a lord in strip club in Manchester
    Glenn Hoddle in toilets at Etihad - nice fella
    Chris Powell in Marbella
    Kermy - lovely guy, also in Marbella
    Some bloke called Duchatelet - arsehole.(ok, not sports person, but thought it worth a mention)

Interesting list @The_President
    I'm struck by how the footballers were all nice guys and the cricketers were all pricks.
  • Options
    Charlton players aside.

Mick McCarthy - top bloke.
    Martin Peters - lovely man.
    Kevin Keegan - very dry wit, nice feller.
    Trevor Brooking - absolute gent.
    Frank Bruno - gentle giant with great sense of humour
    Mike Atherton - could have chatted to him all night.
    Chris Eubank - could not make him up.
    Sven Goran Eriksson - ladies man.
    Sir Geoff Hurst - utter, utter - disappointing human being
    Dame Kelly Holmes - one of the nicest people ever to meet - when she came to The Valley, walked her pitch side. "Do I need these?" she asked. Two Olympic gold medals appear from her pocket. Just wow!
  • Options

Bobby Moore at Steve Davis' wedding reception in 1990.

This needs more detail.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Charlton players aside.

Mick McCarthy - top bloke.
    Martin Peters - lovely man.
    Kevin Keegan - very dry wit, nice feller.
    Trevor Brooking - absolute gent.
    Frank Bruno - gentle giant with great sense of humour
    Mike Atherton - could have chatted to him all night.
    Chris Eubank - could not make him up.
    Sven Goran Eriksson - ladies man.
    Sir Geoff Hurst - utter, utter - disappointing human being
    Dame Kelly Holmes - one of the nicest people ever to meet - when she came to The Valley, walked her pitch side. "Do I need these?" she asked. Two Olympic gold medals appear from her pocket. Just wow!

About a year ago I helped crowd fund a documentary about the late Bobby Moore. Anyway, during the private screening the exec producer said that everybody appeared free of charge in the film apart from one player.....
  • Options
    I watched a band tonight & former England batsman Mark Butcher was in the band. Does that count?
  • Options

I watched a band tonight & former England batsman Mark Butcher was in the band. Does that count?

Was it a covers band?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Have I mentioned I'm Jimmy Seed's grandson?
    He introduced me to Tommy Docherty in the boardroom at Millwall. Nearly broke my 9 yr old hand when he shook it.

Plus 35 years on the road as a cameraman has led to me meeting tons of sport figures including most of the 1966 world cup winning team.
    The nicest sports guy was probably Beckham.The funniest was Gazza who borrowed my camera on the open top bus parade after the 1990 world cup, and did some of the filming for me, despite wearing a pair of plastic ladies breasts.

Met Ben Johnson the day after he won the gold in the 100m in a pizza restaurant in Seoul. A couple of days afterwards he was done for doping which meant we were busy 24/7 trying to find him and generally trying to cover one of the biggest sports stories ever. Just when we were unwinding after a busy seven weeks. Hate that guy!

And as a cycling fan I've been lucky to meet Cav afew times. Top fella away from the camera.

The tennis guys are also normally very friendly. Federer is a real nice fella.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Caipira said:

Pele. My all time footballing hero - the greatest! Met him in London whilst he was promoting a credit card company during Euro '96. A truly wonderful approachable guy. He signed a Brazil shirt for me. Also, Socrates. Another Brazilian legend. Met him in his home town of Ribeirao Preto whilst he was doing some media work, he also signed a Brazil shirt for me, lovely guy.

I find it odd that someone who registered in 2012, makes their first post some five years later.
  • Options

Caipira said:

Pele. My all time footballing hero - the greatest! Met him in London whilst he was promoting a credit card company during Euro '96. A truly wonderful approachable guy. He signed a Brazil shirt for me. Also, Socrates. Another Brazilian legend. Met him in his home town of Ribeirao Preto whilst he was doing some media work, he also signed a Brazil shirt for me, lovely guy.

I find it odd that someone who registered in 2012, makes their first post some five years later.
    Maybe he/she is just a bit shy?

• Options

I was out in Durban watching us get beat by South Africa.

After the game I got the players to autograph my programme. I had my Charlton top on and Butcher looked up and said "I saw you lot one today", I smiled and said yes as we had beaten palice that day.

Being a Surrey member I knew he supported the feathered ones!
  • Options
    I've played snooker v Steve Davis, Alex Higgins and Peter Ebdon.
  • Options
    George Best at the pub he used to drink in at Marylebone
    Kelly Holmes - my daughter played with her stepsister as kids/I also nearly ran her over
    Phil Thompson on holiday
    Henry Cooper
    Loris Capirossi (in pits with him after he won Malaysian MotoGP)
    Mel & Jeremy Charles
    Sachithra Senanayake (he holds a record which I think is a 5fer against every test nation)
    David Gower

Many cricketers, especially at Sussex and many Charlton players
  • Options

Caipira said:

Maybe he/she is just a bit shy?

Or shit at typing
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Matt Holland or Chris Powell. Though I have met a number of CAFC players.

Regularly catch up with Dame Kelly Holmes as she does a lot of work around my local area and she is always game for a chat and gives tips etc on running. She's awesome.

Special mentions to these two non sports stars.
    Met Rob Brydon, rude and arrogant twit.

Met Bob Geldoff, less rude but still arrogant, quite liked him.
  • Options
    Noel edmonds, David Essex , phil parkes, ed stewart, joe bugner, gary moore, ryan moore. Derek hales, alan dugdale. 10cc.
  • Options
    Worst people i have met was hughie green and ronnie corbet.....
  • Options

I've played snooker v Steve Davis, Alex Higgins and Peter Ebdon.

And I beat two of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    The sax player from Bad Manners, Andy Marson, is a customer of mine at work.

Got him to sign a load of my stuff.