Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jan Transfer window thread (DEADLINE DAY STARTS P85)

Comments

• Options
    Millwall spunking more money away.

Sky Sports:

We are hearing that Millwall are lining up a move for Blackburn Rovers striker DJ Campbell. New Millwall boss Ian Holloway is a big fan of Campbell having signed him while he was in charge of Blackpool with the striker enjoying the best spell of his career under Holloway.
  • Options

Calm down. This is the January transfer window. You know. The one where none of the deals get done until nearly February.

Agreed but perhaps you could tell that to all of our rival Championship clubs, most of which seem to be doing good business, and early in the window. Deafening silence and tumbleweed blowing down from CAFC towers though.

• Options

Without that striker I think we are in real danger of relegation. I'm just starting to get twitchy. Chris Powells interview didn't fill me with confidence that the new owners are completely supportive of him.

I'm also getting twitchy but i don't honestly think for one moment that we are not trying to get players in. We just probably can't afford anyone to make a real difference and it was said that we wouldn't be splashing any cash, which we would need to do to get a striker of any significance. Loan strikers of any substance are hard to come by because if they were any good at a higher level they'd be at least on the benches of most teams.
  • Options
    What a rubbish window this is turning out to be. Couple of loans, one a keeper which we don't need and still no strikers.
  • Options
    If only there was someone who was readily available that didnt have a team, at least for a few months to help us try and move our way up the league. Maybe someone from the MLS who can come in on a short term loan, score some goals and bring back some confidence to the team.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

If only there was someone who was readily available that didnt have a team, at least for a few months to help us try and move our way up the league. Maybe someone from the MLS who can come in on a short term loan, score some goals and bring back some confidence to the team.

BWP?

:-)
  • Options

What a rubbish window this is turning out to be. Couple of loans, one a keeper which we don't need and still no strikers.

I thought we didn't need a new keeper. Then I saw Oxford's first goal On Tuesday.
  • Options

I thought we didn't need a new keeper. Then I saw Oxford's first goal On Tuesday.

No goalkeeper on Earth would have been able to save that - huge deflection
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oggy Red said:

It moved in slow motion. He could have got there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Makes me laugh when people reassure themselves with the old 'there's 3 teams worse than us' line. I went to Barnsley and Yeovil this season and we weren't any better than those two, and if it wasn't for rain we would've lost to Doncaster aswell. We desperately need someone who can score goals
  • Options

Let's get real guys and gals. Apart from the Liege swapsies, Roland is not going to let CP spend any significant money until he (Roland) has satisfied himself that CP is the man to spend any of his (Roland's) money. He has only the evidence of last Tuesday's game to go on and it wasn't clever. Regardless of my views on CP, I would have my hand firmly on my wallet if I was in RD's shoes right now. Saturday's game is going to be very important in terms of CP cutting a dash with RD. Will be an interesting couple of weeks. Remember, there are at least three teams in this league who are worse than us, regardless of our own mediocrity. RD will know that much already and it remains to be seen just how close to the line he will go in terms of getting to the end of the season still in this league without spending knee-jerk money. In my book, it will be the bare minimum.

Completely agree with most of this although the risk for him is that we now have just 13 days left in the window, if he waits he risks getting no one in and, in that case, relegation is a VERY real possibility. That would be a financial disaster for the new owners, everyone, including SCP and Andy Hughes, can see that the squad needs strengthening in order to survive, RD does not have the time to wait around and see whats what, they all need to act, most of our rivals are.

• Options
    Croydon said:

Makes me laugh when people reassure themselves with the old 'there's 3 teams worse than us' line. I went to Barnsley and Yeovil this season and we weren't any better than those two, and if it wasn't for rain we would've lost to Doncaster aswell. We desperately need someone who can score goals

THIS. There are CURRENTLY 4 teams worse than us , but that is history. The season starts here & we really do need to strengthen & get in at least 1 decent striker otherwise we will go down.

• Options

Let's get real guys and gals. Apart from the Liege swapsies, Roland is not going to let CP spend any significant money until he (Roland) has satisfied himself that CP is the man to spend any of his (Roland's) money. He has only the evidence of last Tuesday's game to go on and it wasn't clever. Regardless of my views on CP, I would have my hand firmly on my wallet if I was in RD's shoes right now. Saturday's game is going to be very important in terms of CP cutting a dash with RD. Will be an interesting couple of weeks. Remember, there are at least three teams in this league who are worse than us, regardless of our own mediocrity. RD will know that much already and it remains to be seen just how close to the line he will go in terms of getting to the end of the season still in this league without spending knee-jerk money. In my book, it will be the bare minimum.

I would hope it's more a case of finalising one or two more things regarding the takeover, and he IS willing to stump up a bit of cash for some signings. I understand he may want Powell to prove himself, but if he's done his due diligence around the football team as much as he would the club, then he'll know that Powell HAS proved himself. Besides, just looking at our league position, we are precariously close to the relegation zone. This would suggest one or two decent signings are needed to pull away, otherwise his investment would've been for nothing as we go back to League 1 and have it all to do again.

I understand he has just had a significant outlay on the club, and now it looks like the pitch will cost him money as well. However, the majority of football clubs don't tend to make money. Having 5 others should mean he is well aware of this fact, and I hope he has earmarked some money for players. We've got a good manager, who has steered the ship through very rough waters since the summer, balancing results with a team of players who may have their contracts expiring in the summer.

Powell is an intelligent man and handled the previous regime and the takeover situation very well, but I actually think RD must give Powell a reason to believe in him. Some money for players isn't too much too soon to ask for. I say let Powell have the tools to have a good go at it, he deserves the chance.

• Options
    CP had the chance before to go out and buy players and did a fantastic job.

if it's loans from the rest of RD's stable in other positions then so be it but we need to splash a bit on a striker. we seem to be getting left behind though.
  • Options

Croydon said:

THIS. There are CURRENTLY 4 teams worse than us , but that is history. The season starts here & we really do need to strengthen & get in at least 1 decent striker otherwise we will go down.

I have to agree, in January things can change a lot based on the business clubs do. Clubs worse than us now can be significantly better by the 31st - of course it can go the other way too, but stagnating and persevering with a squad that for the effort and team spirit CP induces is clearly makeshift and threadbare cannot possibly be the solution! I can fully understand RD being reluctant if he doesn't yet trust CP with his cash, but surely a loan between clubs is a no-brainer...
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Croydon said:

I have to agree, in January things can change a lot based on the business clubs do. Clubs worse than us now can be significantly better by the 31st - of course it can go the other way too, but stagnating and persevering with a squad that for the effort and team spirit CP induces is clearly makeshift and threadbare cannot possibly be the solution! I can fully understand RD being reluctant if he doesn't yet trust CP with his cash, but surely a loan between clubs is a no-brainer...
    Maybe the final bit of spin from slater, "We will finish midtable" was the deal clincher & RD feels he doesn't have to splash the cash. ;-(
  • Options
    It is worrying that clubs around us appear to be strengthening but just because they're signing players it doesn't mean they'll suddenly start winning. Look at the amount of players Millwall signed in the summer. It doesn't always work out.
  • Options
    I dont believe this but its the first rumour we've had in a bloody while!

@footballbidding: Charlton Athletic are set to make a bid for Craig Mackail Smith before the end of next week. #bhafc #cafc

@footballbidding: Although Mackail Smith is injury prone at the moment, Charlton believe that this could help them achieve an improved deal. #cafc #bhafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Brightons strikers are Hoskins, Ulloa, Obika, Mackail-Smith and maybe Grabben and Clarke.
    Cant play all of them, plus we're not challenging them in the league and could pick points off their rivals. Dont think it will ever happen but you can see why we might be in for him
  • Options
    Weren't we linked with him at the beginning of the season? Or am I imagining that?

Played at the level, has a decent record, wouldn't be the worst signing.
  • Options
    Would love CMS. He's basically Simon Church, but better.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Weren't we linked with him at the beginning of the season? Or am I imagining that?

Bit injury prone though isn't he? How much do you all reckon we would have to fork out to land him? 700k?

Anyone know how old he is?
  • Options
    Turns 30 next month.
  • Options

Bit injury prone though isn't he? How much do you all reckon we would have to fork out to land him? 700k?

Anyone know how old he is?
    29 according to Wikipedia.

Think he scored 11 in 29 last year, not sure he has featured this year though.

• Options
    I've admired Craig Mackail-Smith for several years, since he was prolific for Posh - he's mobile, predatory, and scores. He injured his ankle while recovering from a serious knee injury last spring, and said a couple of weeks ago he is frustrated at not even being ready to train. Match fitness is evidently still a long way off.
  • Options
    good striker mackail-smith would love him at cafc
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Agreed BUT his positioning was terrible! A better keeper would be more centrally positioned and thus has a better chance of saving this...
  • Options
    bobcafc7 said:

@d_demyttenaere: Midfielder/winger (left and right) Anil #Koc (18) probably also on loan 6 months to @CAFCofficial #cafc @mercatodh @ladh @FinallyKoc

My Standard Liege contact rates him and reckons he's their best youth player.