Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup: Huddersfield vs. Charlton - Post Match Views 2014

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014

Off_it said:

WSS said:

There was a minor negative from the win after Cedric Evina was forced off after 35 minutes and was replaced by Harry Lennon and Powell was delighted with how the youngster acquitted himself.

“He had a dead leg after an eventful first 20 minutes,” he said.

“I had to bring the young lad on in the end. I thought he acquitted himself really well. Hopefully people like Ceddy will be available on Tuesday.”

Seems that Powell is hoping to have Evina back for the Doncaster game in spite of the poor reviews! Boy, Powell seem not to have seen the same match???
    The alternative being what - signing Ashley Cole?
    What's wrong with giving Lennon an extended run in the side seeing the positive feedback from those at the game?! He's one of our ow, for god's sake!
    He's not a left back :0)
  • Options
    We've got to be patient with young players like Harriott and give them time to develop. Of course they're going to make mistakes now and then. He's very taleneted and it must be difficult coming in and out of the team. He's not long recovered from injury remember.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Evina made a slow start getting into form when he came in last year, hopefully he has had two games to get going now.

Harry would have been boosted by the adrenalin of unexpectedly coming on so lets no push him to quickly too far.
  • Options
    Harriot needed to be helped off at the end - he took a hefty knock 5-10 mins before whistle which is why he didn't celebrate with fans.

If you weren't there, it is hard to understand how Evina played. I have supported him a lot in the past, so think it's a real shame, but he was causing chaos across the whole team - someone said he was "away with the fairies" which about sums it up. I'll be v surprised if he's back for Donny.
  • Options
    Oh, and don't think anyone's mentioned yet - Cameron Stewart was sat in the away end.
  • Options
    the alternative being play Lennon at left back .. Evina, injured or not, was awful
  • Options

Harriot needed to be helped off at the end - he took a hefty knock 5-10 mins before whistle which is why he didn't celebrate with fans.

If you weren't there, it is hard to understand how Evina played. I have supported him a lot in the past, so think it's a real shame, but he was causing chaos across the whole team - someone said he was "away with the fairies" which about sums it up. I'll be v surprised if he's back for Donny.

Sad if he can't get it back, I like Ceddy and have supported him, wonder whats happened, needing game time and being away with the fairies are two different things.
  • Options

the alternative being play Lennon at left back .. Evina, injured or not, was awful

How about giving Fox his debut against Doncaster... Proper Left-Back and must have travelled with the Squad as didnt play against the Spanners U21s
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Kap10 said:

Sad if he can't get it back, I like Ceddy and have supported him, wonder whats happened, needing game time and being away with the fairies are two different things.
    at this stage of the season and in our position we just can't afford to give Evina any leeway, any more chances. He should be allowed to improve and learn in the reserves.
    Lennon is a defender albeit a central by trade .. He looks quick, skilful and calm enough to play anywhere across the back and gives the impression that his teammates have faith in him. He should definitely start on Tuesday
  • Options

How about giving Fox his debut against Doncaster... Proper Left-Back and must have travelled with the Squad as didnt play against the Spanners U21s
    Fox did play for the u21s, guess he might meet up with the squad if Evina's out though.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140124-u21s-report-millwall-1-charlton-1-1314431.aspx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This, especially as he recently returned from a loan spell and game (7) time with Notts County.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

This, especially as he recently returned from a loan spell and game (7) time with Notts County.
    except that Shaun Derry is quoted as saying that he was not really ready and had a lot to learn .. Lennon has been out on the field in a hostile away game in a winning team .. pick him
  • Options

RedChaser said:

except that Shaun Derry is quoted as saying that he was not really ready and had a lot to learn .. Lennon has been out on the field in a hostile away game in a winning team .. pick him
    Come on Lincs don't over egg the pudding, he did ok and I'm not knocking the lad but he's a centre back and Scannell had him on his heels if I was watching the same game as you. If we have a natural left back and Ceddy is not fit, put him in and Scoham, Dick Plumb and MDadd who watch the youngsters regularly are better placed than you or I to pass judgement. At the end of the day it matters not what we think CP holds the cards.
  • Options
    Given the emergence of Lennon and Fox I would think it unlikely that Ceddy will be offered anything at the end of this campaign. If that is the case and only SCP knows then I would like see Lennon given the nod in preparation for next season and the seemingly proposed intention of using home grown talent.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Come on Lincs don't over egg the pudding, he did ok and I'm not knocking the lad but he's a centre back and Scannell had him on his heels if I was watching the same game as you. If we have a natural left back and Ceddy is not fit, put him in and Scoham, Dick Plumb and MDadd who watch the youngsters regularly are better placed than you or I to pass judgement. At the end of the day it matters not what we think CP holds the cards.
    you'd sooner give an untried novice a go in a vital game rather than a youngster who had a very good debut just a few days previously and was a member of a winning team who's morale must be sky high ? .. I am not going to start a row here but watching a youngster perform well against his age group peers is not proof that he will be effective in a tough away game against seasoned pros, especially as his previous manager, Derry, has stated that he is not up to first team football in a lower division than ours.
    Lennon made a VERY good impression yesterday and deserves a start on Tuesday ..I have nothing more to add

SORRY: One more point. I have seen Scannell give both Solly and Wiggins 'twisted blood' on more than one occasion .. Scannell is a very tidy winger
  • Options
    Could it be that Evina is just short of match practice?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I don't want a row either Lincs let's have a healthy debate shall we. So without either of us, I presume, having seen Fox play you are prepared to hang on Derry's 'word' yet that guy picked him 7 times! Lennon has played 60 mins of an FA Cup tie which wasn't that hostile at all, a couple of bone crunching tackles but that's what we used to endure every week as youngsters. Just saying I'd play a natural left back if I had one at my disposal with the albeit limited (but greater than Lennon) experience of Welsh U21 Fox.
    Edit, Quote from Derry after the loan spell was up for Fox and Jordan.
    '"It was very hard for them to adapt to the level we are at, not so much Fox, but Bradley''
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Walking back to the station, I had a chat with a few Huddites. Of course Robins is a mug for picking this team ((:>) .. Stephens came in for surprisingly little criticism: 'it's a man's game' was the consensus .. Church compared favourably to Vaughan who is not match fit .. Clarke (the big, tough guy skipper and central defender) was missed and they can't wait to see Nakhi Wells playing for them (In my opinion if he'd started yesterday Hudds could well be in the 5th round) .. they wished us all the best in the cup but not the league !! .. nice people
  • Options

He's not that short of practice. Played against Massives, which I saw, and I thought he was poor that day too. Worrying, thought he'd come through.

• Options
    I've just seen the highights (on ITV's website).

Our goal was a brilliant passing move. Who says this Powell side can't play decent football?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He's not that short of practice. Played against Massives, which I saw, and I thought he was poor that day too. Worrying, thought he'd come through.

But hasn't played since.
  • Options

Massives didn't he play out of position, on the wing? However, Like you I ma disappointed that he has not stepped up, hopefully if selected CP and AD will have worked on him to get him up to speed, alternatively they will have made the decision to replace. Tuesday is too important for light weights
  • Options

I saw him play pretty well against the Spanners on Friday, and he also scored.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Massives didn't he play out of position, on the wing? However, Like you I ma disappointed that he has not stepped up, hopefully if selected CP and AD will have worked on him to get him up to speed, alternatively they will have made the decision to replace. Tuesday is too important for light weights
    No, he replaced Wiggins. Agree re Tuesday. Difficult for Chris.

• Options
    Lennon MUST start as left back on Tuesday or we will be in big trouble.
  • Options

Our goal was a brilliant passing move. Who says this Powell side can't play decent football?

Maybe because Kermy wasnt playing? And therefore we dont play so much Hoofball ?
  • Options

Maybe because Kermy wasnt playing? And therefore we dont play so much Hoofball ?
    Although Yann has been dropping deeper this season. It's not his fault if they hoof the ball up to him.
  • Options
    Always thought Evina was a decent player - pity that he seems to have gone backwards.
  • Options
    Surely on Tuesday it has to be either three at the back or Wood at LB? Green and Wilson as the wing backs.
  • Options

Although Yann has been dropping deeper this season. It's not his fault if they hoof the ball up to him.
    Never suggested that it was Kermy's fault for Hoofball, i personally think he's as good on the deck as in the air, but maybe its a mental thing with the team when he plays - a bit like when England used to play when Crouch was in the team.