Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup: Huddersfield vs. Charlton - Post Match Views 2014

1234568»

Comments

• Options

I've just seen the highights (on ITV's website).

Our goal was a brilliant passing move. Who says this Powell side can't play decent football?

Maybe because Kermy wasnt playing? And therefore we dont play so much Hoofball ?
    Although Yann has been dropping deeper this season. It's not his fault if they hoof the ball up to him.
    Probably why he's dropping deeper as he apparently prefers ball to feet...
  • Options

Surely on Tuesday it has to be either three at the back or Wood at LB? Green and Wilson as the wing backs.

I'd barely trust Green at right midfield with a right back behind him, nevermind as a wing back. Can't see how playing as a wing back would suit Green at all.

Wilson though looked natural there when we did play 5-3-2/3-5-2.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Okay, so I wasn't at the game but a few observations about the left back situation that I picked up from the commentary. Happy to be shot down by those that were there, but I haven't really heard anyone else mention these things (possibly because they may be wildly inaccurate!).

1) We played 433 and from the commentary it did not sound like Church and, in particular, Harriott were tracking back a great deal, possibly exposing the full backs a bit.

2) Ceddy was marking Hammill who is a very decent player. Sounds like Ceddy was crap though even allowing for this.

3) Stephens crocked Hammill and Hudds brought on a 19 year old right winger with very little first team experience. This happened at the same time as Lennon came on. Lennon did well but was not marking an experienced Championship player.

4) Hudds later withdrew the winger again and brought on Scannell who is another very decent Championship player. From that point on Lennon sounded like he was having a tougher time and Scannell was involved a lot.

5) We changed shape with the subs and Hudds inexplicably switched Scannell over to the left at which point it calmed down again and we saw the game out.

Not trying to do Lennon down, he came in and made his debut out of position, didn't screw anything up and we kept a clean sheet, just trying to put some perspective on the circumstances. Powell knows his players better than any of us, but Tuesday is a massive game and it would be brave call to play Lennon. It's a pity Ceddy hasn't looked more convincing in his last couple of games because he has played well for us before, he may not be fit anyway.

In an ideal world Wiggo would be fit, or Solly would be available to play left back. I wonder if Cousins could do a job there?
  • Options
    Wiggins is still serving a ban I think...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yes sorry, I meant available not fit.
  • Options

5) We changed shape with the subs and Hudds inexplicably switched Scannell over to the left at which point it calmed down again and we saw the game out.

I would guess that Scannell was switched to the left to keep Wilson busy defensively, as Wilson was getting forward and making several marauding runs deep into threatening positions.

And, of course, our goal came from one of Wilson's forays.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Kap10 said:

Could it be that Evina is just short of match practice?

He's not that short of practice. Played against Massives, which I saw, and I thought he was poor that day too. Worrying, thought he'd come through.
    Massives didn't he play out of position, on the wing? However, Like you I ma disappointed that he has not stepped up, hopefully if selected CP and AD will have worked on him to get him up to speed, alternatively they will have made the decision to replace. Tuesday is too important for light weights
    No, he replaced Wiggins. Agree re Tuesday. Difficult for Chris.

One of Chris's many excellent qualities is that he supports his players publically , I remember him praising Gary Doherty in his first season and then dropping him in the next game, so I do not take notice of his comments to the media.

No disrespect to Harry Lennon but I would like to see Morgan Fox make his debut Tuesday because he is an orthodox left back and Harry is a left footed centre back who seems to have played well filling in.Having read Derry's comments I think they were aimed at Bradley Jordan rather than Morgan, from what I can make out Fox was signed because Alan Sheehan was out suspended and he retained his place when Sheehan returned , Notts's priorities then changed at the end of the loan.
  • Options
    Not at the game but Ceddy was playing with a dead leg. Not easy when up against a good player like Hammill. If he is fit on Tuesday play Ceddy but have Fox on the bench.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Lennon MUST start as left back on Tuesday or we will be in big trouble.

B****cks
  • Options
    Dreadful first half but a really gutsy performance in the second. If Huddersfield took their chances it could've been a rout. Thought Cousins was superb when he came on and it was great to see how much the win meant to the players at the final whistle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a very instersting conversation today re the Stephens tackle in the first half. It seems Mr Attwell did us a big favour on Saturday as he was advised by the linesman (probably correctly) that it was a red card, but the referee overuled him.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    this