Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Donny vs Charlton | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Granpa said:

When I saw the team last night my heart sank. We are now a million miles away from what always was, knowing your best team. Years ago you could name the team before you got to the Ground, only disturbed by injuries. Last night we had a Manager and players almost out of contract, forming a rag, tag, and bobtail outfit heading for relegation while Roland 'Nero'
    stood and watched. Heaven help us on Saturday and my personal admiration for anyone planning to make it to Wigan.

Yes! A few days ago someone posted ten-minute highlights of our 4-2 win at Arsenal - Arsene Wenger, Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, et al. We had a strong and mobile midfield, a dogged attack (watch that bit when Johansson gets up and muscles over the defender) - and fleet-footed, incisive strikers.

I have been watching Charlton for 50 years - and there are some people who still prefer Bradley Pritchard over Claus Jensen!
  • Options
    All I can say is we must have been rubbish last night if people are suggesting Danny Green should be in the next XI

*bangs head on desk*
  • Options
    Very worrying times and I am again baffled by Powells team selection. He has chopped and changed so many times this season i can barely work out how many formations hes used and what players play where anymore.

Goalkeeper: the one position I actually think we are fine in

Defence: I cant believe we spent all summer getting evina to sign a new contract to be a bit part left winger (a position he is woeful at). If wiggins is out evina has to play or failing that wood...you cant chuck a youth player in for his full debut in such a big game.

Midfield: The cousins/stephens partnership has been the one shining light of the season and although i want powell to stay breaking that up is as bad as it gets in terms of team selection. Jacko is a club legend but past it. Harriott was part of the super 11 at the end of last season and green is a natural RW. on form neither of these should start but playing CM's out wide isnt working so they have to be given a go.

Strikers: obviously kermo is a quality championship player and although church huffs and puffs And looks like he cares he lacks quality and has missed big chances over the season. Sordell is lazy and looks uninterested but has a much better touch, hold up play better and shows glipses of quality church simply dosent seem to have. Given a run of games he might come good.

This is a team that needs investing in the next couple of days but heres my 11 for the remainder of the season. Majority of these get in because they are the best options and with green, harriott and sordell I would just hope they would come good….the alternatives havnt.

Hamer/Alnwick

Solly/Wilson Morro Wood Wiggins/evina

Green Stephens Cousins Harriott

Kermo Sordell
  • Options
    Clearly this was a shocking performance and I must admit I find CP's excuse a bit lame. But my main concern is that how will this affect the last days of the transfer window? Would you want to come to a club that seems to be on a course for relegation? You'd probably go elsewhere which will make it all the harder to bring in the players we need.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

WSS said:

Stop slagging off the academy Steve

I'm fuckin furious mate, more than the result, I have never slagged off Lennon or Piggott and the geezer ain't got the balls to apologise or retract it.

No, you DID cast doubt on Lennon! If you read the player scores the fans who were there ranked him higher than Evina, so I rest my case. I will accept that you've not commented on Piggot but I'm not the only one who noticed that you've been making snide comments against the blooding of Academy players here, so you're the one in the dock here. What about making a statement to clarify your position vid a vis the Academy instead of lashing out on those of us who've noticed this? Comment on the scoring, huh?
    You are a knob of the highest order, I said Evina and Lennon not in the same team, I went Reading when Evina was toilet so my point is Evina at left back or not at all.No reflection on Lennon what so ever.

I také my son every year to home FA youth cup matches, I can't go saturday mornings as I work, I think Paul Hart is the most along with manager important person at our club, go back to last seasons FA youth cup thread I was massively impressed.I hope this clarifies the position because you are pissing me off.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Whoa!
  • Options
    At 0-0 Yann did treat us to a spinny-lets beat two men-skillz followed by a great pass. I enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Becaue you know I'm right, you can't find anything of me slagging off Lennon or Piggott or bloody youngsters and are backtracking.
  • Options

dizzee said:

Alnwick
    Wilson morro wood wiggins
    Green cousins stephens Harriott
    Sordell Kermorgant

Please let that be our starting lineup. (When Wilson is back).

thing is CP was just one player away from being able to field that side last night. Instead of shuffling it all around bringing in Fox to replace Wiggins would have sorted it. Instead it's about five unenforced changes. Jackson in, Cousins to the right, Evina on the left, Lennon (a CB) at left back etc. Stick to 4 4 2 and pick square pegs in square holes not round one's. To not have a single shot on target is a disgrace. Reinforces for me one of the reasons why I've given up on away games the last two seasons. I don't mind losing but at least give it a go.

This all day long, not a problem with losing I support Charlton I'm used to it. We may not be blessed with a great squad but come on CP at least give us a chance play players in their right positions, yes there will be times when 1 or 2 will need to cover, but to break up the spine of the team and piss about with it so much is ridiculous. His stance against Sordell, Green, Harriott, Hughes etc needs to stop. time and time again they have come off the bench and looked good but the very next game they are no where to be seen. Then to stick the final nail in the coffin Jackson who gets a stupid red card against Yeovil costing us 2 points waltzes straight back into the team. What must that do to their confidence? Joe Piggott confidence is probably shot to pieces from the Millwall game god knows how Harry Lennon feels.

I have also cut down on away games, the cost is ridiculous but I at least want us to have a go. Every game it's like we play for a 0-0 it's boring and demoralising. I was really buzzing before the game yesterday and was kicking myself for not going, I really thought we would give it a go, but like many others as soon as I saw the team and saw how many unnecessary changes that were made, I was gutted and new would be in for a long night.

• Options
    Theres no denying that CP went there last night for a point and i can't accept that against a relegation rival and team we easily beat at home.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014

All I can say is we must have been rubbish last night if people are suggesting Danny Green should be in the next XI

*bangs head on desk*

Oooh, it's a corner; oooh it's a corner. Danny Green is quite adept at curving it on to the roof of the net, if not exactly into to keeper's arms.

He is improving. Last season at The Valley he scuffed it, and it ricocheted off the defender ten yards away. Take it again - same thing. Third time, it bobbled across the six-yard-box amid such confusion that we bundled it over the line.

So much for the beautiful game.

• Options
    and who poxy flagged me, what Silent Addick dont realise is Plaayer ans WSS are having a laugh with me because they know I never slagged them off, he aint got the balls to retract it knowing he is wrong.
  • Options
    Just to cheer everyone up read today 'Millwall interested in striker Simeon Jackson',
    They have already signed DJ Campbell, while we seem to just be getting SL rejects.
    Is this takeover a joke, at least last season we got Frimpong, Obika, Hulse and Razek on loan.
    At the point of dispair!
  • Options
    How many goals we scored from corners this season? Any set peice we have that needs to go in to the box have usually been shit. I'm not defending Green as sometimes his corners have been shit, but he will whip more crosses in 20 mins then we do all game without him.
  • Options

Just to cheer everyone up read today 'Millwall interested in striker Simeon Jackson',
    They have already signed DJ Campbell, while we seem to just be getting SL rejects.
    Is this takeover a joke, at least last season we got Frimpong, Obika, Hulse and Razek on loan.
    At the point of dispair!

Yes and they really made a difference didn't they :-)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Let's go back to basics 4-4-2 with players in their natural positions and fight for every ball.

Totally agree.

A player needs to be played in his own position - it's what he's been trained to do.

4-4-2 is outdated.
    dizzee said:

Alnwick
    Wilson morro wood wiggins
    Green cousins stephens Harriott
    Sordell Kermorgant

Please let that be our starting lineup. (When Wilson is back).

The one thing our team has had since SCP came in was togetherness, that has been lost this season through contract issues and quality players leaving without replacement and I think all of these loans coming in are the nail in the coffin of the togetherness.

Without that we are going down.

Our players are not champ quality:

Alnwick - lower champ
    Hamer - upper L1 (potential)

Solly - upper champ
    Wilson - mid L1
    Morro - lower champ
    Wood - lower champ
    Dervite - mid L1
    Wiggins - mid champ
    Evina - L2

Green - mid L1
    Pritch - mid L1
    Cousins - Mid Champ (potential)
    Stephens - mid champ
    Gower - L1
    Hughes - L2
    Jackson - mid L1
    Harriott - mid L1 (potential)

Kerm - upper Champ
    Church - mid L1
    Sordell - Champ potential but pony at the moment.

So all in all where does that leave us?

I'm afraid it's RELEGATION.

Completely disagree on Jackson (12 goals in the Champ last season and a few this year already) and Wilson - very harsh and one of our best players so far this season.
  • Options

Just seen a tweet saying that yann walked over to away fans on his own and waved

He is going by the sound of things then :'(

But I did hear a story that unless Powelly sign a new deal Yann won't sign a new deal.
  • Options

At the point of dispair!

I'd argue Hulse and Obika were more effective for us last season than any of our current forwards have been, including Yann.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

How many goals we scored from corners this season? Any set peice we have that needs to go in to the box have usually been shit. I'm not defending Green as sometimes his corners have been shit, but he will whip more crosses in 20 mins then we do all game without him.

Not in disagreement, but Jacko put a great corner in first half that landed about 6 yards out in the centre of the goal. Thought that was a big missed chance with no-one there!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At the point of dispair!

I'd argue Hulse and Obika were more effective for us last season than any of our current forwards have been, including Yann.
    No argument from me, in fact you have confirmed my point.
  • Options
    I've heard that the Standard Liege guy is able to pick a pass but is slower than slow ..... any thoughts on how he played and if he is up for the relegation fight. To me it seems that only Thuram is an asset from the players we have from Liege so far and we already are well covered in that position .. or is it too early to say?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

To me it seems that only Thuram is an asset from the players we have from Liege so far and we already are well covered in that position .. or is it too early to say?

I am in this camp, I have seen nothing to suggest we have improved the squad with the "SL" loanee's so far.

• Options
    Good post as usual Scoham.

I agree that theres no 'right answer' however there is certainly a wrong one. I just cannot get my head round the decision to break up the centre midfield partnership of Cousins and Stephens.

Against a team that we comfortable beat a month or so ago, we should expect to have a fair amount of possession. The middle of the park is so important, and without your best two in there, we immediately start at a disadvantage.
  • Options

At 0-0 Yann did treat us to a spinny-lets beat two men-skillz followed by a great pass. I enjoyed that.

And with yards off space and no one near him the young full back NSS has been slagging off backed up Steve's comments with an appalling first touch off the shin for a goal kick
    How Yann controls himself from exploding when he does stuff and the other players fuck up the simple things I'll never know

• Options
    Mike said:

Back in beefeater in donny. Humiliating

Cheer up, Mike - at least it's not a Wetherspoons.
  • Options

I agree that theres no 'right answer' however there is certainly a wrong one. I just cannot get my head round the decision to break up the centre midfield partnership of Cousins and Stephens.

Against a team that we comfortable beat a month or so ago, we should expect to have a fair amount of possession. The middle of the park is so important, and without your best two in there, we immediately start at a disadvantage.

Maybe the "Stephens to Brighton" rumour has legs? As Scoham says Ajdarevic looks as if he is here to compete with Stephens, maybe in reality he is his replacement?
  • Options

It is a puzzler I agree.

My best guess is that he doesn't trust Green for 90 minutes (evidence shows he is right) and with Wilson having to play right back in the continued absence of Solly his options were limited to a woefully out of sorts Pritchard or Cousins who was a right back before being converted to midfield.

Looked at in those terms it makes more sense.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

It is a puzzler I agree.

My best guess is that he doesn't trust Green for 90 minutes (evidence shows he is right) and with Wilson having to play right back in the continued absence of Solly his options were limited to a woefully out of sorts Pritchard or Cousins who was a right back before being converted to midfield.

Looked at in those terms it makes more sense.
    I dont trust Green for 90 mins either Len, but it makes more sense to me to start him RM. You get that balance, and don't disturb the CM partnership. Its a bigger loss moving Cousins out wide than starting Green imo.

The other thing would be to tweak the formation, 3-5-2?

I thought the lesson would have been learned after the Sheff Wed game where Stephens was put out wide.