Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++The Manager and the Rest of the Season - YOU DECIDE+++ (Results on Page 6)

Comments

• Options
    B with contracts for important players - Yann and Dale at a minimum + a stricker
  • Options
    B
  • Options

A. We pay off Powell and the coaching team before the end of the window,
    A new broom with new ideas and ways of doing things needs a new man at the helm - Powell and the backroom staff need to go because of this.
  • Options
    A) I realise that CP hasn't been given any money over the past 12 months and is working with a very thin squad - but his use of the resources he does have at his disposal is getting worse as every game goes by. As Large pointed out on a different thread, yesterday he only needed to replace one player from the previous team, but decided to make 5 changes, splitting up a very good midfield partnership by putting Cousins wide right & then put Evina wide left, whilst all the time there were 2 natural wide men on the bench (Green & Harriott)

Then there is the goals scored problem. We are the worst goal scorer in the league & only Northampton (who sit 92nd) have scored less goals than us. According to BBC stats & by people there last night we didn't have a shot on target and only 3 off target all game. Goals need to be created - either by wingers with crosses, or by midfielders putting balls through, or by strikers creating something themselves. Last night, with Evina & Cousins wide, we were never going to put crosses in and our front 2 don't seem to be able to have a dig from 20 yards either. All this can be rectified by proper team selection & coaching. So, with a reluctant heart I have to say sorry CP, AD et all............your out.
  • Options
    B

I have read elsewhere that people are mocking CPs achievement of winning league 1. Tell me how many other Charlton managers in the past have won a league title?
    He has proven that he cant motivate, coach and get results from a squad of players. Some of which are still with us today. People are saying last season we over achieved. The fact is CP was the man in charge and we finished where we finished with him leading us. The facts speak for themselves and he has certainly proved he has what it takes to progress this club.
    We all agree that the squad needs to be improved and he needs help doing this.
    There is no other manager I would want in charge at this current point who has the best interests of the club at heart. CP must be the man to take us forward and I believe he will be! CP is Charlton and although some decisions frustrate me as much as anyone else, he is learning all the time and has my full 100% support. He was success as much as any of us and we need to show faith in him.
  • Options
    D

Although after last night I am starting to move closer towards A which is a painful thing to say. I wanted Powell as manager before he was appointed and thought we should have gone for him instead of Parky at the time. I supported him when others didn't in his first season. This season however I have disagreed with a number of his decisions. All about opinions and he is a lot more qualified than me but I can't help having an opinion!

Breaking up Stephens and Cousins on a number of occasions when they are our only working partnership is daft. Insistance on playing JJ when he is so far off the pace is crazy. Blooding Piggot against millwall was a mistake. Debut for a CB as a LB in a must win game bizarre.

He has undoubtedly had a rough deal from the board and must be jaded by it. But what I really want him to do is create an "us against the world" type atmosphere within the team; like Palace had on their administration season. However I can't help feeling that going public about the players contracts affecting them almost gives players an excuse.

I would love it to work out for him, he will be a legend in my eyes whatever and if we give him a new contract I will not be sad in any way.

I just felt last nights performance was so insipid and utterly lacking in passion, fight and pride that maybe we need some madcap motivator (warnock type) to come in and get us over the line in the last 20 games of the season. Still lots of points to go for but something needs changing fast.
  • Options
    Sadly E. It is becoming very clear that Roland will do what Roland wants, and I don't intend to get myself any more stressed than I am at the moment. Being selfish, and like everyone else loving Chris as a man, it is the Club/Team that I have supported all my adult life. I think that we can see apart from anything else that Roland will keep us financially sound, and I believe his belief in bringing through youngsters to be the only road for us.
    It is obvious that keeping Charlton in the Premier League is his best chance of making real money, and I think that will mean he will use his other Clubs to feed us on top of our already excellent Academy. I may not live to see it, but the future is bright, the future is RED.
  • Options
    E. Assuming he isn't allowed to sign any players, except more of Roland's Nomads, followed by another poor performance and the inevitable defeat at Wigan on Saturday, I believe that will give RD all the ammunition he needs to show Powell the door.

If, however, he is able to bring in, at the very least, a proven striker of his own choosing then it could be game on.

I would love to know the truth behind Michael Smiths departure, was it Powell's or RD decision, and why wasn't he allowed even a couple of games to show what he could do. After all, he couldn't be worse than Church.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    E , get new owners , so we can have a takeover thread.

Serious B , and give him some cash to spend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    B. Powell proved himself over the last two years and i dont see us getting any better shjould we sack him. We have a manager who has quality and is a fans favorite and it is that inherent love for him that means we can have a period of stability similar to that under curbs.

Do i think powell is faultless like some seem to...definitely not. he need the oppertunity to get our key men on new deals, bring in some quailty (if funds avaliable) and decide on a system and stick with it.

Last nights performance against a doncaster side could not have shown more clearly all this chopping and changing is not working.
  • Options
    B
    too late to change
    previous owners
    give the guy the players he needs
  • Options
    D

And no we don't decide or even influence the decisions of those that do.

I am not sure really, quite torn: He has done well for us to a point but seems to make some jaw-dropping decisions at times. The fact that we have had one shot on target in 2 games is frankly absurd, that is just awful.

The contract issue annoys me. The players and Powell need to man-up. If they are any good they will get a contract when they are on offer or they can move for decent cash elsewhere. If they don't think they will acheive either then they know they are crap.

I have little idea what RDs plan is or why Murray seems so anon.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    B, but 90% certain that what we'll get is C.
  • Options
    B)

It cannot be coincidence that confidence within the team appears to be low, when there are so many contracts expiring. Get Powell & the key players signed up, give them are full backing, and with an addition or two things will improve.
  • Options
    B

Sure, the man needs to play players in their own positions. That's their strength.
    There are times when we pay opponents too much respect and set up too negatively.

Every manager gets it wrong sometimes.

Despite that, here we are today with a weaker side than last season.

It goes without saying that the team today is even weaker than Powell's team that won the League One title 2 seasons ago.

That's a shocking realisation - players have left, without being adequately replaced.

The biggest factor was down to the abrupt halt in strengthening the team after promotion - that cost us the momentum that could have carried us to a play off place last season.

I suppose some people feel that was also Powell's fault.

The manager has had no support from the Board for 18 months.
    It's time they backed him wholeheartedly.

• Options
    E Agree more favourable terms on a new contract, conditional on him retaining Championship status this season. Fair to mount that pressure, yes, and I believe he would handle it, if and only if he is backed in strengthening the squad. Getting rid right now would be far too disruptive, taking the state of players' contracts into play, but awarding 2-3 year deal at this stage is not ideal either, because as much I love CP and the management team, we should be doing a bit better than we have been this season.
  • Options
    The options don't provide for leaving it to the end of the season. I would not expect RD to award CP a contract on present results but that doesn't mean he can't earn it under the chneged operational direction imposed by RD.
  • Options
    D. no one on here can truly justify any other selection. That's the bottom line. Unless RD has signed up to CL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    B with suitable investment in players that CP actually identifies himself. If after that he f***s it up then you won't hear me defending him but until that day, still 100%.
  • Options
    B For all the reason stated above, chief of which he has proved, given the backing, he can do the job.
    HOWEVER, what do I think will happen? Maybe A, which will need to happen within the next 24 hours otherwise it will amount to C. I want to see neither A nor C, the later is certainly the road to league one.
  • Options
    B). Powell has proven himself. The squad is not good enough which is out of his control. We now have a worse starting 11 than we had in league one and probably less backup options. He built a squad which was capable of competing in this league which was proven last season. It has now been weakened not strengthened and we are therefore in a mess. I wasnt at the game yesterday, I didnt agree with his team selection but I dont believe we would have got anything just by putting Cousins in the middle and putting the much maligned Green on the right, or by swapping Wood for Lennon. The side isnt good enough and the squad isnt good enough but its only a couple of players away from being good enough (to get enough results to survive).

The answer to our immediate problem is simple. Give Powell a new deal, give Yann Kermogant a new deal and sign 3 players comparable to Cameron Stewart; a defender/defensive midfielder, a winger, and a centre forward to play with Yann. Dont think we'd have to spend a fortune to get that, especially if one or two were loans. But these players must be chosen by Powell and be of proven championship quality or lower league options clearly ready to step up - not random kids from Belgium. If these things happened we would stay up. It really is that easy.
  • Options
    B. Like most others have stated. He needs to be backed with some cash from the owner though and not from sales. If Stephens goes we need a direct replacement and we're not going to get one before midnight on Friday. Taking Brighton's money and buying a striker is pointless if we can't create anything.

However I'd be interested in knowing what RD has already told Powell. If he's made it clear that loanees between his portfolio of clubs is a priority and the road RD wants to go down then Option A may be better for Powell's sake and RD can bring in his own man. I can't see any manager being able to do their job properly under such circumstances. He effectively just becomes first team coach and one DOF will be appointed to oversee all the clubs he owns.
  • Options
    B - 100% new contract for Powell
  • Options
    B
  • Options
    B
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    B - 100% still behind him during this time of change, he has made a number of mistakes this season in my opinion from the stands. but form there I do not know the background to his decision making or the inner workings of the club. I cannot think of who I would want to replace him, I am open to change and would not count out a DOF role to help steady him a little but I have certainly seen worse Addicks sides and expect to again in the future.

If we are relegated then I would be concerned about his long term future but just cannot see through my often rose tinted specs an alternative to him right now.
  • Options
    B - There is a lot to be said about stability in a working environment. If you think your job is in jeopardy your performance drops regardless as to how you would hope to try and stay positive. If the manager is signed up the players will know who they would be working for when they are offered a contract. Get Powell signed up, get key players new contracts (no offence to youth signing contracts but we need out key players signed up top priority), bring in the strength so desperately needed and judge the manager after he has been given decent tools to work with.
  • Options
    D - My understanding is that his current deal runs to the end of the season. If you were RD would you say our recent performances justify a new contract even accounting for the threadbare squad we have? So I would have said C with a review at the end of the season but I have to admit I do not know how that would affect player contracts and getting players in hence my D stance.