Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++The Manager and the Rest of the Season - YOU DECIDE+++ (Results on Page 6)

Comments

• Options
    B. We award Powell a new contract before the end of the window.

It's all or nothing. You either back Powell now or give him the sack. No dithering in the middle. You then give him the funds to build a stable mid table championship squad.
  • Options
    B - but only because it is totally the wrong time to do anything else. We need him secured (to a degree) so there is some continuity in sorting out the players futures and in bringing transfer targets in. However, I would make it an 18 month contract with the right to dismiss with minimal compensation if we get relegated this season or are in the bottom 6 of the Championship by, say, the end of October.

The fact is that CP has performed when given the backing to re-shape the team in L1 and I truly believe he could do that again in the Championship. But, working with the restricted resources he currently has, I think he has shown a lack of imagination and tactical ability which is costing us dear. Down this season or a bad start next season and I think, with the greatest sadness, we should then replace.
  • Options
    A. Thanks CP, you're still a Charlton great and its nothing personal. Good luck.

Good thread, wish I thought if it ; )
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    A

Get rid before it's too late.
  • Options
    D - for disillusioned... Losing patience.
  • Options
    D - for disillusioned... Losing patience.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    B - New contract for Powell and key players signed up too. With three new players we could easily avoid relegation. Given funds to bring in a couple of his own players would make a big difference.
    But, with news now coming out that Stephens, Kerm and Wiggins are off, I think that is relegation cemented. Also I dont think that Powell is RDs man and he will also be off soon.

Feeling depressed and disillusioned
  • Options
    B. I have no doubts that Powell is the best man for the job, but he's not a miracle worker. We need some stability, some certainty and some improvements to the squad, if we are to expect anything other than a relegation battle.

Roland, like some of our midfielders at times you need to control this loose ball before it runs away from you. At the moment, it's fair to say that we are in the position we are in because of the unfortunate financial circumstances surrounding the last board. That will not be a believable excuse if we're in this position at the end of the season.
  • Options
    B - the fact is that he is a young manager getting better every season. He loves the club, the club loves him, and he's a good fit. Even if we get relegated I'd still want him at the helm - we know he can trounce League One opposition and he's best placed to get us back up. Hell I'd want him even if we went mid-table in League One, because simply he's a man who represents our club and community better than any other mercenary that comes in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    B. Full backing to Chris Powell...the '11/'12 magic season was no fluke! RD, give him the financial backing to build a rock solid promotable championship squad - he can do it...100% support!!
  • Options
    B

Powell has proved his qualities as a manager.

At the start of the season everyone wanted Wenger out and look at Arsenal now. You can also look at Ferguson for an example and I'm not talking about 25 years ago when they wanted him out but people were calling for his head 10 years ago saying hes taken Utd as far as he can and he then went on to win more titles.
    Dare I mention Curbs as an example?
    Mourinho at Chelsea?

And who are we going to bring in to replace him? A puppet for Roland to play all the Liege players as part of his 'project'? I'd rather go down with Powell.

I also believe results will improve if the players contracts are sorted out. How long does it really take? If clubs can sign players in couple of hours on transfer deadline day then why is taking so long?
  • Options
    B
  • Options
    B
  • Options
    B. He has earned that. Anyway who really thinks a replacement is likely to be an improvement? Maybe we could tempt Sir Alex out of retirement.

The question really is the one posed elsewhere by Airman - why has this new bloke bought our club? You don't spend all that dosh then wait and see if the management are any good, you work that out first so if it needs surgery you can get on with it. Something is making Chris lose his main mojo which is getting the collective best out of what originally was mainly a L1 level squad. Sign him up, back him and if then he can't deliver its a different situation.
  • Options
    B. For Christ sake renew his contract.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    B - if he'll have us. Best man for the job. Long term thinking on my part.
  • Options
    B. Powell and players need contracts of some sort the unsettled feelings at the club must be impacting performance and could have already been the cause of Yann possibly/probably going. More bees with honey sort of thing. We need money spent too though!
  • Options
    B - he has not had a fair crack of the whip and has put up with endless shite for ages now, waiting and hoping for things to change. He deserves a chance with proper financial support behind him. I know that he has made some mistakes, but I still have faith in Chrissy Powell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    B. Had a thankless task all season, hands tied while teams like Doncaster and Yeovil have strengthened. With the turmoil of contracts and possible first team player departures, getting rid of the manager would be bonkers. I still remember how I felt after he addressed the crowd at the end of last season and can't think of anybody I would rather have running my team.
  • Options
    B and for players we should want to keep. It's precisely those who can keep us in the Championship, not Duchatelet's Cast-Offs.
  • Options
    B. No doubt
  • Options
    B
  • Options
    B)

The squad he currently precides over is still mainly the league one team. Crucial players have been injured (Solly, Wiggins, kermorgant). Flair players had to depart like Fuller, Haynes. I will judge when i think the squad is underachieving, but it isn't!
  • Options
    D for me. The football has been beyond shit for the last two seasons (tbh I didn't think it was even all that in the promotion season) but I can't work out how much of that is down to the management team and how much is down to the quality of the players available. It may be that CP and co aren't able to effectively coach the attacking side of the game or it could be a perfectly rational decision by them that keeping it tight and trying to nick the odd goal is our only hope with the quality of players we have.

People always knock the atmosphere at the Valley but it can be alright when we are having a prolonged period of pressure, trouble is, I can only think of a handful of times when that's happened over the past 3 years.

We tend to play like the away team at the Valley and I know from speaking to mates who are lapsed supporters that this is one of the things that stops them coming back regularly.

Going to games feels like a chore at the moment and something needs to change. What that change is I haven't got a clue.
  • Options
    D for me, don't know what is going on at the moment, strange times.
  • Options
    B - The guy will be a legend as one of our managers also, fact. He's had good times now its some bad, that's life. The team are decent, although clearly the lack of funds is really starting to tell as other clubs continue strengthen.
  • Options
    What a shit 24 hrs in the life of an addick
  • Options
    B - no hestitation