Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++The Manager and the Rest of the Season - YOU DECIDE+++ (Results on Page 6)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    You simply have to believe RD has a plan - he's no mug - the club will go on with new heroes, new managers etc - we're all supporters so we have to get on with it. At present, we need unity and belief... We're in the mix with 6 other clubs - glass must be half full.
  • Options
    B) it looks like we are already planning for relegation. Get decent money in if we have to sell our best players and start again. I am already resigned to the fact that this season has been a bit of a train wreck ( nowhere near as bad as those dark days of 2008/09 ) so it's all about the Brave New World. One thing I know for sure is I will be there through thick and thin.
  • Options
    B.) if we go down, I want powell leading us back up.
  • Options

Lets take a step back from all the getting dredged down into an opposing debate.

Lets have one thread that does not quote, or reply to a previous view. Lets just simply have your view, and your view alone for everyone to consider.

If we are not already beyond it, we are at the most crucial of times that is likely to determine the rest of the season.

Select which one below most clearly represents where you are at this point in time, AND GIVE YOUR REASONS WHY. If you have to respond to someone's point of view, do so in one of the other existing threads.

A. We pay off Powell and the coaching team before the end of the window,
    B. We award Powell a new contract before the end of the window
    C. We continue the current unsettled status quo
    D. You genuinely don't know what to do for the best
    E. Something else

Look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

D

• Options
    B). In an ideal world RD would sit back for a few months, probably to the end of the season, and make decisions on what he sees. Unfortunately RD has purchased a team and manager that have been run into the ground by the previous owners, we are in the relegation zone and the opportunity to buy new players is fast running out.

The price that RD has to pay for this is giving Powell a new contract thus lessening any resistance to key players signing new contracts and displaying a return to stability to potential purchases. This would have been obvious to RD during the takeover so he would have factored in this initial expenditure into the sale price ....... Or did he?
  • Options
    B) Simply the best man for the job.
  • Options
    B - with full backing and money to spend. Chris showed he could buy well when he re-shaped the squad during the close season 11/12. Sure he's made mistakes, which manager hasn't? But I feel that with the right support, both financial and moral, he can turn our fortunes around again.
  • Options
    D leaning towards A.....somethings amiss and its not working tactically and reminds me of Pardews bewildering team selections.
  • Options
    Most definitely a B from me, but I am not the owner, and at this crucial stage of the season, RD needs to back him or sack him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me it's E. Like a lot of posters whilst I am constantly bewildered by CP's team selections and substitutions I do believe that a change of manager at this stage would be disasterous and would definitely lead to relegation. So I would not make a new contract for CP a priority but I would give him funds to bring in new blood to try and strengthen the squad and resign the key players, we all know who they are, as the priority must be survival. If after being given what he has asked for he succeeds in keeping us in The Championship then I would give him a new contract if he fails he goes. My reasoning is that he has been saying for a long while he needs money to rebuild the team so if that is granted he cannot complain if it doesn't work and would truly be a test of whether his long term managerial credentials are as good as most think they are.

I say this with a heavy heart as I really like CP he is a man with integrity and honesty but right now he looks lost and demotivated.
  • Options
    @AFKABartram are the results going to be tallied up for which option people chose?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    B - and we should be grateful if he does sign a new contract as any other manager would have told the club to stick it by now.
  • Options
    Definitely a B. Given decent resources he has shown he can get the team performing brilliantly. Hopefully we are seeing today that such resources are available again and that better times are just around the corner. Plus of course he is a club legend.
  • Options
    Not sure if it has been reported elsewhere but BBC sport quoting a report from the Daily Mail that there is a rift between CP and our new owners,
  • Options
    And the daily mail got it off here i reckon
  • Options
    B) Still 100%
    Powell is the right man for me. He needs time again to get through this tough spell. He hasn't had the resources to compete and few will argue with that. I genuinely don't believe that any manager could/would do better with our current squad. He should be given a bloody medal, not his P45.

I think that he's a proud man and has Charlton's best interests at heart. I believe he would walk if he felt that it was down to him, the position and predicament we as a club are in. So sign him up long term to send out a clear message to the fans and eqaully as important, to the players already here and those that might be wondering whether they would want to join the club, that Charlton are going places again and it involves resolution, not relegation and should the worst happen, nothing changes just more hard work!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, very enjoyable read that and it is amazing how much has occured since this was first put up yesterday !

The results as follows:

A. We pay off Powell and the coaching team before the end of the window ---- 5%
    B. We award Powell a new contract before the end of the window------------ 74%
    C. We continue the current unsettled status quo ------------------------- 1%
    D. You genuinely don't know what to do for the best---------------------- 14%
    E. Something else---------------------------------------------------- 6%
  • Options
    The vote has closed too early. Needs to stay open until after the transfer window closes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A
    Performances and win ratio not good enough over a 3 year period
    Not a lot of investment but did not have to sell.
  • Options
    Courtesy of Issue 1 August 2013 Valley Talk:

..."And that's what we do here. We get on with our work, we get on with our football club.

We're going to step forward again and again. And no one's going to stop us."

-Chris Powell

Says it all for me. Are you listening Roland and Katrien?

Give the man his contract and let him get on with the job.
  • Options
    I wish he would just do that instead of leaking to friends about things, just get your head down and get on with it, the fans still back you, time to forget the briefings and get on with keeping us up.
  • Options
    i am optimistic but i believe now that the doncaster game was the lowest point in cp's time here and the team that night was one of the worst in the last 2.5 years. we have strengthened and by 1st of february, i expect a squad stronger than the one at the first of jan. chrisp owell will stay and so will yann. we may have lost dale but not too gutted about that one. back powell fully. in the summer release some players, bring in a few early on and then work on integrating youth into the team. we have potentially half a team of top yougnsters. poyet, cousins, solly, lennon, harriot, morgan fox, joe pigott, azeez, pope, tobi sho silva. i would be happy if in the usmmer a whole new squad was built around a nucleus of 10 players.